Reformat all hard drives during windows install or just the one with windows?

I'm keenly aware that you should reformat the drive windows is being installed on if you're doing a fresh build and reusing the hard drive. I've built 4 PCs with no issue thus far.

However, currently I have 2 SSDs. One is strictly for games, the other is for normal system stuff.
    I plan to reformat the normal system stuff drive (the drive windows is currently installed on).

My question is: can I avoid reformatting the games hard drive so I don't need to re-download hundreds of gigs of crap and reinstall them?

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I'm keenly aware that you should reformat the drive windows is being installed on if you're doing a fresh build and reusing the hard drive. I've built 4 PCs with no issue thus far.

However, currently I have 2 SSDs. One is strictly for games, the other is for normal system stuff.
    I plan to reformat the normal system stuff drive (the drive windows is currently installed on).

My question is: can I avoid reformatting the games hard drive so I don't need to re-download hundreds of gigs of crap and reinstall them?
    I thought it was better to zero the drive instead of formatting it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Yes, no reason to reformat that drive.

When I say reformatting, I mean wiping it to 0's and reinstalling fresh, yes. I'm more concerned with if I need to do that to the other drive that doesn't have any of the windows stuff on it. It's formatted as NTFS, I just don't know things well enough (for instance , zeroing out the drive or formatting it also blows away the registry) so I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could enlighten me.

My hope would be that the drive essentially functions like an external harddrive or a glorified USB drive and I can just unplug/plug it anywhere and run my games from it

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Yes, no reason to reformat that drive.
    Much obliged! My ISP thanks you

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd only wipe the windows drive clean. If you aren't a stickler, you could even just.. Not do that, and it'll be fine. That said you'll have a bunch of files you don't need taking up space and maybe conflicting if you don't wipe windows