Thread: keto diet

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Keto flu is rough but it'll pass. I remember my weekends when I first started keto...I swear I must have slept 12 hours a day.

10+ Year Old Account

cheap keto products

I think we can all agree most healthy diets are expensive. In US fast-food (like burger) is actually cheaper than a salad (im not american btw).

So staying healthy and fit comes with a price, literally

Now when it comes to keto diet its even more expensive as most products are meat, fish, nuts, almonds, cheese etc. Its by no means cheap

Im kinda broke now but i must get my life straight and go back to the only diet that really works for me (i suffer from insulin resistance)

So my question to all keto/paleo bros is what products do you use everyday that are somewhat cheap and can keep me going for months?

I live in poland if that helps

Thanks in advance
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

15+ Year Old Account
    Keto can be pretty cheap. If I'm paying attention I can usually do a meal plan for the work week for under $50 US. That's 3 meals plus a snack for 5 days. Chicken is cheap, I use a lot of chicken thighs. Ground beef is a little pricier than chicken per pound, but to save money you can buy the 10/20lb tubes of ground beef for a better price per pound. Then you just divide it up and freeze what you need for the next week or several. Pork is hit or miss on price, certain cuts are pretty cheap. Again buying in bulk is alway preferred to keep the price down.

As far as veggies go I stick to broccoli, cauliflower, squash, and romaine lettuce, as all of these are fairly inexpensive. I will toss in some asparagus and brussel sprouts every now and again, these tend to be a little higher in price.

Snacks are easy, sliced pepperoni, cheese, or nuts are my go to. Eggs also, which are cheap but are handy for breakfast can be hardboiled for a quick protein rich snack as well.

It isn't really that hard, just search for cheap keto meals. There are tons out there.

Keto is a horrible diet. Why would starving your body out of one of the most important ways it fuels itself be a "good" thing?

What happens when you have to come off keto because you really can only stay on it so long? Better to count the carbs and balance them over the day...change your life style for life and not "diet" for a few weeks....then add in some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Keto is a horrible diet. Why would starving your body out of one of the most important ways it fuels itself be a "good" thing?

What happens when you have to come off keto because you really can only stay on it so long? Better to count the carbs and balance them over the day...change your life style for life and not "diet" for a few weeks....then add in some exercise.
    You either most uneducated person on the subject, or you deliberately spreading the propaganda. There is no such a thing as essential carbohydrates, our body makes any glucose it requires via different systems. Fats and proteins on the other hand are the most essential nutrients, so that you actually don't starve yourself for real.

Keto is not a diet, it's a natural way of eating.

Last edited by neik; 2019-11-19 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    You either most uneducated person on the subject, or you deliberately spreading the propaganda.
    We have entered the pot and kettle zone here folks!

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Well my total loss so far now is 10lbs.

The "runs" as people like to call it have stopped. Sadly its been replaced with the all to common constipation. Time to raid the fiber husk jars at walmart.
    Eat more fat.

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    You either most uneducated person on the subject, or you deliberately spreading the propaganda. There is no such a thing as essential carbohydrates, our body makes any glucose it requires via different systems. Fats and proteins on the other hand are the most essential nutrients, so that you actually don't starve yourself for real.

Keto is not a diet, it's a natural way of eating.

You do know your picture is rather factually inaccurate right?

Far more likely that they'd be around a berry bush, acorns, eating tubers or fish.

Not that taking out large mammals didn't happen, but for something that big it would be far more likely that you'd have a huge group of hunters that would harry the beast until it couldn't move anymore and died.

Meat hasn't been a proportionally large part of mankind's diet until oh, I'd say the 1950s. Meat takes a lot of energy to produce and even more to keep from rotting. Typically it would be had one or two times a week unless you had access to high quality fresh meats - either raised or hunted, typically fished. The most common form of protein people would raise of course was eggs.

Then for plant based proteins there's always beans of course, which are cheaper and store better than meat.

Anyway, I'm not arguing the merits and demerits of the Keto diet. I'm just saying that getting your nutritional advice from a child's picture book about cave men isn't the best source.

Doubly so given that protein and fat are incredibly hard to come by in nature when compared to carbohydrates and that as such our body is capable of using all three as fuel and as building blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    has anyone tried it ? what can you tell about it ? is there any difference in results from a normal 1500 kcal diet with carbs ?
    With keto you're in a constant state of burning fat - people usually enter keto after 45 mins of exercise give or take. A normal diet with carbs will stop you entering keto unless you're excercising essentially.

But Keto + exercise is a great combo. Fat gives roughly 2x the amount of energy than glycogen stores do.

But I also recommend slimming world, if you do that right it's also a fantastic diet + you eat a lot more than you regularly do.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Meat hasn't been a proportionally large part of mankind's diet until oh, I'd say the 1950s. Meat takes a lot of energy to produce and even more to keep from rotting. Typically it would be had one or two times a week unless you had access to high quality fresh meats - either raised or hunted, typically fished. The most common form of protein people would raise of course was eggs.
    So, you are saying that the Inuit and the Masai never existed? Cool story, and just as ignorant as getting nutritional advice from a child's picture book.

The reality is that meat has historically been a proportionally large part of mankind's diet until we started actively farming (and not everyone started farming at the same time). There are numerous groups that survived just fine on a pure meat diet (including innards...source of Vitamin C for such groups of people), but none have survived on a purely carb based diet. This is because your body's liver can (and happily does) convert proteins into any needed carbs...but not the other way around.

I have no real interest in the Keto diet per se (I leverage the same general concept to provide superior control of my diabetes), but I also don't like to see things misrepresented. We are, at our core, very much omnivores who have historically received most of our calories from meat sources.

I'm not a nationalistic fellow, but when it comes to nutrition I sure am happy to be Italian. Our diet is generally very healthy for the following reasons;

- We don't drink sodas
    - We don't use butter or fats
    - We don't or barely deep-fry anything
    - We barely drink milk
    - We mostly don't do junk food; it's just not imbedded in our culture. You'll mostly find tourists in Mac Donald's and that's pretty much the only big fast-food chain you'll encounter.
    - We don't use cream in food. Ever.

- Both men and women learn to make home-made meals at a very young age.
    - We eat lots of fresh fruit and have a varied diet in general
    - We exclusively use olive oil, mostly in raw form
    - We use lots of garlic and onions
    - We use lots of rosemary, thyme, basil, sage, parsley, red peppers, oregano and other antioxidant herbs
    - We use lots of tomatoes and seasonal veggies
    - We take our time to eat; the world stops during lunch time. It's that important

These are some of the reasons that Italians are among the healthiest people in the world. I wish we had the same common sense when it comes down to running the country...

If you have to take anything from the above, it's the following: stop using sugar. Stop drinking sodas. Stop eating processed foods. Stop eating white bread. Make your own meals from scratch; no pre-made sauces, no dressings, no taste enhancers, etc. Stop deep-frying things. Avoid fast food chains like the plague.

Do this and you'll never need to go on a diet at all.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-12-12 at 08:57 AM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Keto is just a caloric deficient diet, nothing magic happens like some believe.

People see amazing results because not eating can be easier than eating healthy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I'm not a nationalistic fellow, but when it comes to nutrition I sure am happy to be Italian. Our diet is generally very healthy for the following reasons;

- We don't drink sodas
    - We don't use butter or fats
    - We don't or barely deep-fry anything
    - We barely drink milk
    - We mostly don't do junk food; it's just not imbedded in our culture. You'll mostly find tourists in Mac Donald's and that's pretty much the only big fast-food chain you'll encounter.
    - We don't use cream in food. Ever.

- Both men and women learn to make home-made meals at a very young age.
    - We eat lots of fresh fruit and have a varied diet in general
    - We exclusively use olive oil, mostly in raw form
    - We use lots of garlic and onions
    - We use lots of rosemary, thyme, basil, sage, parsley, red peppers, oregano and other antioxidant herbs
    - We use lots of tomatoes and seasonal veggies
    - We take our time to eat; the world stops during lunch time. It's that important

These are some of the reasons that Italians are among the healthiest people in the world. I wish we had the same common sense when it comes down to running the country...

If you have to take anything from the above, it's the following: stop using sugar. Stop drinking sodas. Stop eating processed foods. Stop eating white bread. Make your own meals from scratch; no pre-made sauces, no dressings, no taste enhancers, etc. Stop deep-frying things. Avoid fast food chains like the plague.

Do this and you'll never need to go on a diet at all.
    Here, here,

Sugar isn't -bad- for you too much sugar is, you need to eat like what 20 banana's to get the same amount of fructose as from a liter bottle of coke/soda and the amount of empty calories in there. Fast food also, a lot of empty calories spiced up with more sugar.

It is a shame a lot of people don't know how to cook and even when getting food to go to all the wrong places, to stick with the italian subject we have tons of pizzeria's, ristorante's even just Rosticceria/pasticceria and still they prefer to get a pizza at the pizzahut or something to eat at the macdonalds.

Losing weight is not hard but you need to stick something that works long term and keto feels like starving yourself, denying yourself of good things. There are a few keto advocates that in my opinion are looking less and less healthy every year, Thomas Delauer, that dry simply does not look healthy. I also don't know how people can life worrying if this or that will put them out of ketosis.

Eat a balanced diet, exercise, and no diets will come in handy.

Been keto since right before Thanksgiving 2019. I'm a Type 1 Diabetic (pumper), get moderate daily exercise, and my daily fat/protein/carb macros are about 110g/60g/20g(net) and here are my results so far:
    *About 25lbs lost to date
    *A1c dropped from 7.9 to 6.1 (most diabetics goal is under 7)
    *Avg. daily blood sugars dropped from 180 to 130
    *Overall cholesterol dropped from 201 to 138
    *Total daily insulin usage dropped from ~100units per day to <50units
    *Avg. daily blood pressure dropped from ~135/90 to ~110/70

This diet has been a lifesaver for me. I've cut my insulin usage in half and my goal is to further reduce it as much as I can. The real surprise for me was the cholesterol drop! Given the amount of fats required for keto, I would have expected the opposite. I opt for alot of healthier fats (coconut oil, avocados, etc.) but I eat bacon and red meat everyday, so it kind of debunks the myth that red meat is bad.

I will say that being a T1 diabetic, I was concerned at first about low blood sugars. It's a constant struggle adjusting insulin usage as the weight comes off. One hard day at the gym will send me hypo pretty quickly, and it's almost an addiction to try and stay in ketosis that I won't use carbs to bring my sugars back up. But it's nice that I'm under 100 throughout the day when I was used to being over 150 all the time!

Four things to consider about the keto diet (for diabetics in particular): 1.) Limit your protein! Especially if you're borderline sedentary like I was...once you're fat-adapted, too much protein can kick you out of ketosis as quickly as a slice of cheesecake. 2.) insulin usage naturally fights against ketosis, so your goal should be to reduce insulin response as much as possible. This is tough if you're injecting or pumping insulin. I theorize that it's the reason I'm not seeing the drastic weight loss results that others seem to experience on keto, but to be honest my goal is to get my blood sugars down, not necessarily lose weight. 3.) avoid "dirty" keto. Eat whole foods and avoid the boxed/bagged/packaged/"keto"-labeled crap out there. Salads, grass-fed beef, broccoli, spinach, eggs, nuts, avocados, cacao, coconut oil...all are win... eating keto even when you're dining out is pretty easy. My family goes to Red Robin a lot and you can do lettuce wrap avocado burger and bottomless broccoli instead of fries...it's great. Finally 4.) If you like to drink...whiskey has zero carbs.

These are just my results and opinions, so take em or leave em, but I love being keto--I feel like it's help me conquer this wretched disease!

I have tried it my self..but, not exactly a formal way..I just tried to stay out of carb food and consumed more juices and fruit dishes..Actually, It was hard to bear first..But gradually I lose the necessity of a big portion of food I used to have and also I lose some weight...Though I still did not get what I expected, It seems to be effective

Quote Originally Posted by Henrich View Post
    Eat a balanced diet, exercise, and no diets will come in handy.
    every sensible plan of food consumption is a diet in a way I mean that diet is not just reduction in food.

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    has anyone tried it ? what can you tell about it ? is there any difference in results from a normal 1500 kcal diet with carbs ?
    The ketogenic diet has become quite popular recently. Studies have found that this very low-carb, high-fat diet is effective for weight loss, diabetes and epilepsy. A ketogenic diet typically limits carbs to 20–50 grams per day. While this may seem challenging, many nutritious foods can easily fit into this way of eating.

I tried the keto diet when I was in the gym. This is really a good way to quickly lose weight and make your muscles visible.