Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Hey dude, the PSU is both one of the most important components in a PC and one of the cheapest. Pick one of the best brands, with a gold rating at minimum, with at least some wattage to spare. We're talking maybe not even $50 more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Again, gold/bronze rated doesn't mean it's a better unit, just means it's more efficient.
    The reviews I found said the model you were looking at has fucking trash-tier construction and components. Doesn't matter that it's better than another shit PSU if it's still shit

- - - Updated - - -

That's the old list, here's the updated one: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ist-40-rev-50/ (But it doesn't have the ARC listed)
    It's on Tier D, together with a whole lot of other models I wouldn't let anywhere near my computer.

lol this thread.

Of course i dont cheap out on PSU's in a high end system (have a 750 G3 in my main rig) but this PC is going to cost me 330 bucks max. This thread was more of a hey does anyone know the likelyhood of good psu's going on sale for black friday, cause their pricing has been really bad lately. For a system with a 35 dollar CPU and 70 dollar gpu im not too worried about buying a "bad" psu, id just like to link what a truly bad psu looks like:
    https://www.newegg.com/diablotek-da-...82E16817822008

500w but only 17a on 12v rail, many out there like that that need to be 100% avoided. The psu i linked in the OP is leagues higher quality and is perfectly acceptable for a budget system.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And the Rosewill you linked is only SLIGHTLY better than that PSU... Seriously, you're wrong on this one. Get over it.
    Bro this isnt a right vs wrong issue lol, i didnt ask if the psu was of high enough quality for a budget build i know it is. Its a thread more about psu pricing and what kind of deals can be had on black friday>cyber monday, cause i havent seen any yet.

If i was "wrong" as you put it, you are effectively suggesting anyone at any budget should be spending 70+ dollars on a PSU, and that is just ridiculous as many options exist (usually, when psu pricing isnt jacked up) for those sorts of price ranges. This rosewill unit sits in the same league as a evga 450b and seasonic m12II, would you recommend someone building a sub 500 dollar box to to skip on those units as well, taking money from the rest of the budget for stuff like gpu/nvme drive etc?

It isn't actually. It's dangerous to use in anything but the lowest power situations. You're acting like it's some amazing deal and a quality PSU when it's literally a dangerous item to use in your build. Good luck with that. I hope you mount a fire extinguisher to the side of the case.
    You are still confused on what makes a good psu vs a bad one, saying the arc series is anywhere near the league of that diablotek turd i linked kind of shows how little you know about this stuff. You are too hung up on names, like fridgekin already tried explaining every brand has good and bad units depending on the OEM/model. You came into this thread with "omg rosewill, reallly???", and that isnt how you judge a psu.

I should learn not to reply to you, you exist only to troll and rarely offer actual good advice lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need gold standard, that's just efficiency. It's a nice thing to have even if the annual savings are negligible. I'd focus more on quality.
    You don't need to splurge either. As long as it's a good brand, the likelihood of it somehow damaging the rest of your computer in some catastrophic failure is almost nil.

Just get a decent mid range corsair, seasonic, XFX or even antec. Don't other think it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, it's a garbage PSU. Only buy it if you don't care about the system it's going in.
    Yeah no, this is bullshit and people really shouldn't listen to you.

Yes, a PSU can damage your computer if it's not built to any decent standard, IE: no name/unbranded of chinese origin as an example.

No, a low-range branded one is not likely to do that. It might fail prematurely, but the chances of it to damage their computer? Due to cutting corners on safety? Infinitesimally low. Even a shitty entry level branded one should have basic surge protection features built in.

As for that Diablotek one, I've never heard of that brand but the reviews suck, so why would a serious PC builder buy it anyway?
    Last edited by Will; 2019-11-21 at 01:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Yeah no, this is bullshit and people really shouldn't listen to you.

Yes, a PSU can damage your computer if it's not built to any decent standard, IE: no name/unbranded of chinese origin as an example.

No, a low-range branded one is not likely to do that. It might fail prematurely, but the chances of it to damage their computer? Due to cutting corners on safety? Infinitesimally low. Even a shitty entry level branded one should have basic surge protection features built in.

As for that Diablotek one, I've never heard of that brand but the reviews suck, so why would a serious PC builder buy it anyway?
    A shit PSU without proper protections can, in the case it shorts/similar, just send the power through whatever rail died without stepping it up/down. This will blow out whatever is downstream of it.
    The ARC doesn't have proper protections. If it dies, it's taking something with it.

lol what? Any decent psu made today has all the power protection you could ask for, at the bottom the newegg page:

Over Voltage Protection
    Yes
    Over Load Protection
    Yes
    Short Circuit Protection
    Yes
    Under Voltage Protection
    Yes
    Over Current Protection
    Yes
    Over Power Protection
    Yes

I dont know where you guys are getting your info but its clearly wrong, lets also not forget that models change over time....they get upgraded/tweaked designs etc. Corsairs cx units used to be absolute trash but now they are really solid mid range models.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    lol what? Any decent psu made today has all the power protection you could ask for, at the bottom the newegg page:

Over Voltage Protection
    Yes
    Over Load Protection
    Yes
    Short Circuit Protection
    Yes
    Under Voltage Protection
    Yes
    Over Current Protection
    Yes
    Over Power Protection
    Yes
    I can also just claim things that then get disproven in reviews

I can also just claim things that then get disproven in reviews
    Link said review? Again models get changed over time, are you seriously so new to PC hardware that you werent even around for the corsair cx line and its changes over time? They again were absolute garbage tier and are now widely recommended for budget builds.

And i linked that text from newegg to combat your statement of "The ARC doesn't have proper protections. If it dies, it's taking something with it."

Clearly the PSU has a lot of in built protections that wouldnt be on the box if they didnt exist.

Also lets please not pretend that PSU's blowing up and taking hardware with it is a common occurence, ive been building PC's for about 18 years and in the probably 30-40 builds ive done ive only see a PSU actually blow up one time (it was more of a pop) and nothing in the PC was "taken with it". That psu i cannot remember the brand of but it was bundled with the case and i believe lasted a good 8 years before it took a crap.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2019-11-21 at 07:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Link said review? Again models get changed over time, are you seriously so new to PC hardware that you werent even around for the corsair cx line and its changes over time? They again were absolute garbage tier and are now widely recommended for budget builds.

And i linked that text from newegg to combat your statement of "The ARC doesn't have proper protections. If it dies, it's taking something with it."

Clearly the PSU has a lot of in built protections that wouldnt be on the box if they didnt exist.
    Problem is that as I said no one has reviewed the arc 550, only the other models built on the same platform. And they're all fucking ancient.
    Here's a dude who got said PSU: https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware...-came-out.html

"ATNG ATM-B" is the platform name, go look up some reviews

Problem is that as I said no one has reviewed the arc 550, only the other models built on the same platform. And they're all fucking ancient.
    Here's a dude who got said PSU: https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware...-came-out.html

"ATNG ATM-B" is the platform name, go look up some reviews
    Wait so you are linking a post from a random dude on a windows 7 forum who we have no idea how the PSU was installed or if there were standoffs touching the back of the motherboard or if the grounding straps on the IO shield were poking into the ports as some sort of proof that this is a bad PSU lol? I could literally find the exact same post from ANY brand/model of PSU these things happen and its mostly human error.

This is not a high end PSU but its not any where near the garbage you guys think it is, its a legit budget PSU that i bet if johnnyguru got in for testing would compare favorably against a lot of bronze units in the price range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait so you are linking a post from a random dude on a windows 7 forum who we have no idea how the PSU was installed or if there were standoffs touching the back of the motherboard or if the grounding straps on the IO shield were poking into the ports as some sort of proof that this is a bad PSU lol? I could literally find the exact same post from ANY brand/model of PSU these things happen and its mostly human error.

This is not a high end PSU but its not any where near the garbage you guys think it is, its a legit budget PSU that i bet if johnnyguru got in for testing would compare favorably against a lot of bronze units in the price range.
    Based on the same platform. He literally killed it while testing it
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2014/0...ol-to-the-max/
    And in case you don't want to do all the work of going to page 6:
    The BAD:

The BAD:

Baysploded – no sign of protection circuitry
    output parts do not support label ratings
    voltage regulation easily affected for the worse by just a little heat
    5VSB failed overshoot transient testing

The MEDIOCRE:

second tier capacitors
    no thermal fan controller
    sleeve bearing fan
    only partial AC line filtering
    only partial DC output filtering on the 5V and 12V rails
    nearly at spec ripple on the 12V, full power
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-11-21 at 07:21 AM.

As an aside, rosewill was founded in 2004. Corsair? 2007. EVGA?

10+ Year Old Account
    As an aside, rosewill was founded in 2004. Corsair? 2007. EVGA?
    Who cares when none of them make their own PSUs?

Based on the same platform. He literally killed it while testing it
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2014/0...ol-to-the-max/
    Man you got some major selective reading going on....that review is from 2014.

I dont know how many times i need to repeat this, PSU models change over time....
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2015/0...ower-supply/6/ 7.1 score 2015

http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/0...ower-supply/6/ 8.7 score 2016

10+ Year Old Account
    Man you got some major selective reading going on....that review is from 2014.

I dont know how many times i need to repeat this, PSU models change over time....
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2015/0...ower-supply/6/ 7.1 score 2015

http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/0...ower-supply/6/ 8.7 score 2016
    But there's no proof that it changed manufacturer or platform. Please find me anywhere it says the rosewill arc is made on another platform, because I cannot find it ANYWHERE

Who cares when none of them make their own PSUs?
    Obviously, but they clearly have a lot of experience doing this and rosewill is not a name i shy away from in a general sense. Given the replies in this thread you would think rosewill is in the same tier as apevia diablotek or raidmax, which is just not the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously, but they clearly have a lot of experience doing this and rosewill is not a name i shy away from in a general sense. Given the replies in this thread you would think rosewill is in the same tier as apevia diablotek or raidmax, which is just not the case.
    Yeah if they rebadge shit-tier parts they'll be treated as if they're shit-tier parts.

Some of their stuff is nice, this isn't one of them though, at least from what I can find online.

I have backed up my point of view, your stance so far is that things can change, with no proof that this one has. Oh, and that it's going in a garbage PC anyway, so you don't really care.