Page 1 of 2
LastLast

HK college campus chaos...

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/19/a...hnk/index.html

So students destroyed their own college campuses, turning them into weapon making places and burned them down/trashed them. I know people support them but they are pretty f'd in the head after seeing these images. T.T
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Moved to Politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    The dream of some western college students

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    The dream of some western college students
    That's a pretty ambiguous statement. It could mean 'vandalizing campuses', which certainly is the dream of some students. Or it could mean survivalist fantasy of sorts, also shared by some. Or it could mean 'fight against an oppressive regime' in general, which certainly is the dream of many college students in the west. Which of those are you talking about? It's hard properly involve the comment in discussion when it is so open to interpretation, to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    That's a pretty ambiguous statement. It could mean 'vandalizing campuses', which certainly is the dream of some students. Or it could mean survivalist fantasy of sorts, also shared by some. Or it could mean 'fight against an oppressive regime' in general, which certainly is the dream of many college students in the west. Which of those are you talking about? It's hard properly involve the comment in discussion when it is so open to interpretation, to be honest.
    I'm pretty sure he means immolating people in the streets for not supporting their cause

Destroying private property that belongs to companies that are supposedly against the protests..
    Fire bombing a starbucks and other shops because you don't like your govt. wtf is wrong with these kids?

- - - Updated - - -

The guy that started this whole situation by killing his pregnant college gf was released. From what i'm hearing, he got something similar to a hero's welcome. T.T

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Destroying private property that belongs to companies that are supposedly against the protests..
    Fire bombing a starbucks and other shops because you don't like your govt. wtf is wrong with these kids?

- - - Updated - - -

The guy that started this whole situation by killing his pregnant college gf was released. From what i'm hearing, he got something similar to a hero's welcome. T.T
    Thats a very simplistic view on whats happening.

The protestors have apps that say what businesses are pro or anti government and they "act" accordingly. Theres stories of them doing minor vandalism to businesses they thought were pro government and then realising they'd got it wrong and going and apologising and fixing what they'd broken.

You should try flavouring your thoughts with some nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    ...mostly because citizens are becoming increasingly afraid of China's retribution...
    As they should be, punishment will be swift and without mercy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can definitely see students at least demonstrating at their own campus I know my school had a number of political scandals while I was there, ones that hit hard if you're a stressed-out student trying to make ends meet in between your grades, loans, job, life expenses only to find out your deans/president are looting the schools coffers. U remember a few of my school's professors admins were shamed out when the amount they earned was leaked when professors who made a let less were going out of their way to make sure disadvantaged students (and local HS students) werent falling behind.

You begin too feel a type of way when tuition rises, then rent rises at the same time and you're still eating top ramen with 3 papers due in the morning after your work shift.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Thats a very simplistic view on whats happening.

The protestors have apps that say what businesses are pro or anti government and they "act" accordingly. Theres stories of them doing minor vandalism to businesses they thought were pro government and then realising they'd got it wrong and going and apologising and fixing what they'd broken.

You should try flavouring your thoughts with some nuance.
    So..have you actually seen news mentioning that they apologised and fixed what they broke?
    I don't need to flavor anything, just being honest with how i feel. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    As they should be, punishment will be swift and without mercy.
    I can understand why we had emperors and kings in the early age of men, but after the 20th century, you'd think people would want to be in control of their own lives. Yet for some reason you still find some people out there who believe that emperors, kings, dictators and totalitarian governments should be allowed to control the lives of their citizens in addition to annexing territories that don't belong to them just so they can control their neighbors too.

It's very fascinating there are people in the modern day and age who want to see the return of God Kings.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    This was from student journalists from PolyU a month ago, so take that as you will.
    https://old.reddit.com/r/HongKong/co..._just_put_out/

Give this a quick read for some of probably at this point hundreds of examples.
    https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/10/2...g-four-months/

The people are being deported to China to be tortured and who knows what else.
    Posted this a while ago but
    https://old.reddit.com/r/HongKong/co...n_potentially/
    And confirmed by
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...3-20191120.htm

Among other things, a girl was found dead, naked and washed up ashore. Quickly cremated and ruled as 'non suspicious'.
    https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/10/1...rumours-swirl/
    And then some
    https://twitter.com/tex7321/status/1186280829133045765
    https://twitter.com/SunPoon3/status/...274382849?s=09

It's become a common occurrence when people are detained they will scream their name and say they will not suicide and very often the police will attempt to stop them from doing so.
    https://youtu.be/GUDi4CUEgr8
    https://old.reddit.com/r/HongKong/co..._shouting_his/

And then there's the sexual abuse and rape. This being the latest of the 3 I can recall atm.
    https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/11/0...-rape-station/

Which goes back to this.
    https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/10/2...g-four-months/

There was another attack on a university a week ago too, HK University, speculation is they wanted to control the internet server/nodes there, which wouldn't be surprising.
    For Poly U medics were all detained and arms zip tied behind their back and subsequently arrested before the entire attack happened.
    https://i.redd.it/vvjjl7zvy9z31.jpg
    Not a lot of reporters were able to get in iirc so videos you'll see are student ones or after the fact. This was purposefully done by them to give the scene a chaotic look despite everything was fine before the attack.
    Especially considering people like this were there helping the students with the kitchen. https://old.reddit.com/r/HongKong/co..._supporter_of/

By the way, this is a very very small glimpse of violence the police has committed. Heads bloodied, medic's arms fractured when trying to help someone, reporter's back burned by tear gas grenades (yeah I didn't believe it first until I saw it, they melt into asphalt), police trying to run people over with a bus and so on.

People are calling it a police state and they're not wrong.

So..have you actually seen news mentioning that they apologised and fixed what they broke?
    I don't need to flavor anything, just being honest with how i feel. :P
    Would be referring to this, and iirc another shop.
    https://i.redd.it/bu0y7gdawqq31.png

The vandalism is pretty targeted. Can't really find it (at this point too lazy) but there was an image with literally two shops, one pristine and the other destroyed. The reason is already explained to you.

CNN has been overall pretty poor actually in reporting... pretty much any of this.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2019-11-22 at 08:06 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    China needs to deploy its forces n end this 2 system bs, no other state has to abide by 2 systems, its only a bs agreement they had to sign with colonialist uk, it has no merit n should be abandoned.

Besides hk got nothing on cities like Shanghai, hk doesn't deserve special status for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    China needs to deploy its forces n end this 2 system bs, no other state has to abide by 2 systems, its only a bs agreement they had to sign with colonialist uk, it has no merit n should be abandoned.

Besides hk got nothing on cities like Shanghai, hk doesn't deserve special status for any reason.
    Your support of jackboots stomping on a human face has been noted.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Your support of jackboots stomping on a human face has been noted.
    U guys don't have a leg to stand on after anti-democratic violent coup in Ukraine n suppression of all who objected, military campaign against eastern ukraine.

Selling billions in weapon exports to Saudis for their genocide of Yemen.

You want me to believe u care about hk n ur not really using hk as an attack against Chinese territorial integrity?
    Crocodile tears for hk is obvious, as is the virtually identical demands of violent hk protestors to those of maidan n venezuela with ultraviolence such as torching people alive that disagree n refusing to stop fighting until they get immunity for crimes committed...

It's high time china steps in n puts an end to this western orcestrated terrorism.

U guys don't have a leg to stand on after anti-democratic violent coup in Ukraine n suppression of all who objected, military campaign against eastern ukraine.

Selling billions in weapon exports to Saudis for their genocide of Yemen.

You want me to believe u care about hk n ur not really using hk as an attack against Chinese territorial integrity?
    Crocodile tears for hk is obvious, as is the virtually identical demands of violent hk protestors to those of maidan n venezuela with ultraviolence such as torching people alive that disagree n refusing to stop fighting until they get immunity for crimes committed...

It's high time china steps in n puts an end to this western orcestrated terrorism.
    You can try to whatabout it away, but I doubt you can prove my participation in any of the above you are alleging. Whereas I merely noted your personal support for oppression which you have just doubled down on.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    You can try to whatabout it away, but I doubt you can prove my participation in any of the above you are alleging. Whereas I merely noted your personal support for oppression which you have just doubled down on.
    So u are saying those who torch people alive shouldn't get arrested? Clearly violence in hk is out of control n its up to china, being their territory, to put out the fire...

Look at these brave peaceful protesters beating a girl with metal rods...

HK has proven to be incompetent in handling this crisis, it wouldn't even be up to Beijing if HK got its shit together...this state of anarchy cannot be tolerated.

HK cannot blame anyone but themselves!

So u are saying those who torch people alive shouldn't get arrested? Clearly violence in hk is out of control n its up to china, being their territory, to put out the fire...

HK has proven to be incompetent in handling this crisis, it wouldn't even be up to Beijing if HK got its shit together...this state of anarchy cannot be tolerated.

Yeah, the peaceful protesters should blame themselves for the actions of violent ones. That's exactly why we blame everyone in a given country/muncipality/political party/family for the actions of others in that particular group and punish them.
    Or, well, we don't. Because that argument is pretty stupid. Those who are violent should be punished. Those who are not, should not. Those who use violence against non-violent protesters should be punished. It's pretty straightforward if you ask me.

Ahh yes, kill people into submission. How nice.

Look at these brave peaceful protesters beating a girl with metal rods...

Those are grave allegations. If they are true...

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    CGTN (China Global Television Network), formerly known as CCTV-9 and CCTV News, is a Chinese international English-language news channel of the state-owned China Global Television Network group, which is part of Beijing-based China Central Television (CCTV) and under the control of the Publicity Department of the Communist Party of China.
    ... nevermind.

These offenses, even if true, belong to the courts. But that is where the issue began: Beijing meddling in the Hong Kong judicial system. Courts are traditionally the last resort against overbearing governments in democracies. When the last support is taken away or even threatened, people tend to become desparate.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2019-11-22 at 02:43 PM.