Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Business wants to make money, people may no longer be able to get a set of pixels, more shocking revelations coming at 11.

Seriously though, who cares. You either want it and will dump the gold on it or you won't. It's not like people have had the entire expansion to get it, so yeah they probably want to make some money, it's what companies do.

But there may also be another reason. It's meant to be a high prestige mount, if they possibly see gold inflation happening even more in Shadowlands, they may be removing it so not everyone can easily get a mount with an AH on it. I mean, probably not, but it's possible and even if there only motivation is a bit of extra cash, again they're a business and it's pixels on a screen, who really cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    Business wants to make money, people may no longer be able to get a set of pixels, more shocking revelations coming at 11.

Seriously though, who cares. You either want it and will dump the gold on it or you won't. It's not like people have had the entire expansion to get it, so yeah they probably want to make some money, it's what companies do.

But there may also be another reason. It's meant to be a high prestige mount, if they possibly see gold inflation happening even more in Shadowlands, they may be removing it so not everyone can easily get a mount with an AH on it. I mean, probably not, but it's possible and even if there only motivation is a bit of extra cash, again they're a business and it's pixels on a screen, who really cares?
    Do you think such inflation will be good for the playerbase (or for the game?)? Do you want 10k flasks and 5k pots? 100k enchants on throwaway gear? What a wonderful game it will be.

Inb4 "I don't care, I'm here for the story".

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    What you expected? In legion they were talking about stat squish, but they squished gold income from every source in game. This game is dead, do yourself a favour and quit before its too late.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you crazy? Pixels are useless, all those things you counted are not.
    They have a use. In fact us talking is just pixels, again a use of pixels. :P
    When you play a video-game the pixels make you happy or feel fun(why else are you playing).

Your response is super ironic in that regard. lol
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2019-11-22 at 12:11 PM.

... Why? I mean I get it, its for boosting tokens, but what is their stock answer? 'Its a dinosaur so its going extinct lol' is not an answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Do you think such inflation will be good for the playerbase (or for the game?)? Do you want 10k flasks and 5k pots? 100k enchants on throwaway gear? What a wonderful game it will be.

Inb4 "I don't care, I'm here for the story".
    Nope, never said anything about whether it would be a good or bad thing, just that the devs might be foreseeing it happening. I love this forum, you make a point and someone comes along with something unrelated and challenges you on it...

But since we're here, pretty much everyone knows inflation is a bad thing for the game. Unfortunately, it's already happened to the point where it's difficult to reverse. What I do imagine the devs doing is adding more gold sinks in Shadowlands, possibly in the form of other expensive mounts, or just more expensive day to day things like crafting mats, profession recipes, covenant things etc. Which may explain why they want to remove that mount, as there may be a more expensive AH mount coming.

Either way, people are far too bent out of shape about them removing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ecospherez View Post
    Wait, so an item that is going to cost 20+ tokens is a cash grab? Who in there right mind would do that? If Whales do that then they are the minority and stupid because i know literally no one who would spend that much money on tokens.

Secondly, there is a year left, maybe longer to get the gold to buy it if you're desperate.

Thirdly, if people can't get it and have millions of gold what will they probably spend some of that on? Game time, which is not money in Blizzards pocket.

All anyone does on this forum is cry about everything.

It's nice that not everyone has everything, you have a year to get it if you want it, you do NOT have to buy tokens.
    Didn’t you get the memo? It’s okay to blame blizzard if a grown ass adult can’t control themselves and ends up spending hundreds of dollars just to get a stupid mount.

Come on people.
    change can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharper13 View Post
    EU atm has tokens at roughly 200k.

5 mill / 2k = 25

25 x £15 = £375 for this mount.

This isn't a boost for token sales, it's an attempt to get more players in the game during these times pre-expansion notorious for player dropoff, and as a business I see no issue here.

I know it's cool to hate on these guys but come on.
    No one is going to resub, or stay subbed if they were planning to leave, to farm 5 million gold to buy the mount before it goes away.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Doesn't take a genius to see this is a disingenuous tactic with which to boost token sales. The fact that Blizzard gave 0 justification/rationale behind this decision and nobody ever asked for it either, makes that painfully apparent.

- - - Updated - - -

Every time they win themselves some good will, they always come up with these unbelievable headscratcher decisions that stir shit up.
    This is NOT going to boost WoW Token sales. NOBODY is going to buy the 20-30 tokens it is going to take to buy the mount. Everyone who wants likely already has it.

This thread is ridiculous and has no merit.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Artificial scarcity on a 500 dollar in-game virtual gold sink is truly capitalism in video games at it's best.
    Attaching an arbitrary and fluctuating RL dollar value to something Virtual doesn't suddenly make it a "CAPITALISM BAD" situation, especially when you can earn it entirely with in-game resources. The People that can already afford it with Gold will buy it and no one that is crying in these threads are going to pay $500 so it is irrelevant.

Either git gud and make some Gold to buy it or miss out. Anyone that wasn't going to have the 5 Million for it now wasn't suddenly going to have the 5 million for it in the future anyway. It's literally just real world finance patterns in a virtual World.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    No one is going to resub, or stay subbed if they were planning to leave, to farm 5 million gold to buy the mount before it goes away.
    I mean the same exact argument I made for the 6 month sub when People were saying "OMG ITS JUST BLIZZ BEING GREEDY LOCKING A MOUNT BEHIND 6 MONTHS SUB" when why would someone who wasn't going to Sub ever need a mount in a game they don't play.

Heh, all the people are mad because they will never be able to afford or get the auction house mount. I'm glad they're getting rid of it, makes mine more elusive!
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

Maybe they are trying to push token sales, but there are a few facts about it:

1. Anyone who truly wanted it, has it.
    2. Anyone who wants it but not 100% sure, have 1 year to farm the 5 mil gold, assuming they're completely broke.
    3. The mount will come to BMAH and likely cost double. 9.99 mill still the cap?
    4. Anyone who just wanted it to be there to maybe buy it in the future would have most likely never spent that gold for it, unless gold loses it's value to at least double of Legion.

I'm inclined to say that's not their goal, because if token purchases increase, it's price in gold goes down which means more $ for less in-game gold. Basically what they're gaining on one side, are losing a part of it in another.
    Last edited by Firedemon; 2019-11-22 at 12:55 PM.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    This is a good distraction by Blizzard PR to detract all the negative attention away from Shadowlands.
    People are pretty high and shadowlands at the moment after the panel. They basically gave everyone exactly what they've been asking for. When the beta drops people will find things to complain about though.

My prediction is a massive goal post shift, people will start singing praises of bad Legion and BFA systems and complain about lack of grind equating to lack of content. The folks who binge the games will have the loudest voices and shape the narrative, and alt-friendliness that people have been whining about will be viewed as the death throes for the game (again).

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlhero View Post
    Heh, all the people are mad because they will never be able to afford or get the auction house mount. I'm glad they're getting rid of it, makes mine more elusive!
    I hate to break it to you, but they aren't getting rid of it. It will be on the BMAH. So, you will still be able to get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Honestly, pixels/data files have way more longevity than most things you can own. A car will rust away, a house will need constant maintenance etc. If anything, digital space and pixels are the only valuable possession you can have if you care about longevity. In 500 years almost everything you could buy right now outside the internet/digital age will be deteriorated. 10GB of "useless" digital space will still be usable storage.

Your digital avatar or even profile can be around forever, it will have all the personality you put into it with no expiration date.
    I think the general argument about "pixels" boils down to the idea of physical ownership. You don't truly "own" anything in WoW or any other video game service such as an MMO or online-only platform. If WoW were to close its doors and go offline then your character and all the mounts, items, and whatnot you'd purchased for it would be gone - you can't interact with it anymore, you can't download it in any meaningful fashion, it's simply gone from existence. A physical item you own won't be like that, and you'll have for as long as your life in all likelihood. Or as long as it takes entropy to break it down into its base components.

That being said, I would say the true worth of anything is in its utilization and the experiences you collected by interacting with it, so in that sense even a digital item can have intrinsic experiential worth commensurate to the money you put into. Generally a matter of perspective on that score.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Fuck you in the neck, Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think the general argument about "pixels" boils down to the idea of physical ownership. You don't truly "own" anything in WoW or any other video game service such as an MMO or online-only platform. If WoW were to close its doors and go offline then your character and all the mounts, items, and whatnot you'd purchased for it would be gone - you can't interact with it anymore, you can't download it in any meaningful fashion, it's simply gone from existence. A physical item you own won't be like that, and you'll have for as long as your life in all likelihood. Or as long as it takes entropy to break it down into its base components.

That being said, I would say the true worth of anything is in its utilization and the experiences you collected by interacting with it, so in that sense even a digital item can have intrinsic experiential worth commensurate to the money you put into. Generally a matter of perspective on that score.
    That's why I said from the start that I am talking from a longevity point of view, data is timeless, it is currently the only possession you can have that CAN exist even in thousands of years. A file storage (and copies of it) is worth WAY more than anything else you can possess, simple fact that almost all we can buy will simple cease to exist in the near future, it doesn't have the potential to be around millions of years, data has that potential.

Almost all empires of the past, all buildings are gone, as long as we have computers, data will be kept, it is simply the currently best way to preserve your legacy.

Also, by your logic, a house COULD also be destroyed by natural disaster, how is that different to servers shutting down, they are both out of your control. Or all your possession inside your house could be robbed, or they could burn to a crisp, you see nothing in life is consistent or persistent, it all has factors that can remove them without anything you could do. I think the most likely possession that can be saved at all times is, in fact, data.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2019-11-22 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    That's why I said from the start that I am talking from a longevity point of view, data is timeless, it is currently the only possession you can have that CAN exist even in thousands of years. A file storage (and copies of it) is worth WAY more than anything else you can possess, simple fact that almost all we can buy will simple cease to exist in the near future, it doesn't have the potential to be around millions of years, data has that potential.

Almost all empires of the past, all buildings are gone, as long as we have computers, data will be kept, it is simply the currently best way to preserve your legacy.

Also, by your logic, a house COULD also be destroyed by natural disaster, how is that different to servers shutting down, they are both out of your control. Or all your possession inside your house could be robbed, or they could burn to a crisp, you see nothing in life is consistent or persistent, it all has factors that can remove them without anything you could do. I think the most likely possession that can be saved at all times is, in fact, data.
    Data isn't really timeless, though - it can degrade, it can become corrupt, it can become unreadable (due to changes in media, format, software, hardware, etc.) Data can *potentially* exist thousands of years, but actually its longevity is determined by maintenance and storage. The same natural disaster that can wipe out a house in your example can also wipe out a data center and destroy the data stored there (unless it's been backed up to a secondary location). Same as if you happen to own two houses, or duplicates of all your stuff, I suppose.

This is kind of wandering far afield from the point, though - in that it's more about utilization than it is ownership. As long as *you* find value in a thing, then it has intrinsic value, if only contextually (which is generally all that matters).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    Nope, never said anything about whether it would be a good or bad thing, just that the devs might be foreseeing it happening. I love this forum, you make a point and someone comes along with something unrelated and challenges you on it...

But since we're here, pretty much everyone knows inflation is a bad thing for the game. Unfortunately, it's already happened to the point where it's difficult to reverse. What I do imagine the devs doing is adding more gold sinks in Shadowlands, possibly in the form of other expensive mounts, or just more expensive day to day things like crafting mats, profession recipes, covenant things etc. Which may explain why they want to remove that mount, as there may be a more expensive AH mount coming.

Either way, people are far too bent out of shape about them removing it.
    I wasn't challenging you, but you wrote that comment with such... apathy? I guess, I thought you were okay with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay so I been thinking about this and wondering why people are actually mad. I was at first but I been thinking about it.

For many years Blizzard have been removing mounts from the game, The Amani War Bear, Swift Zulian Tiger, Swift Razzashi Raptor to name a few. No one even batted an eye about those.

This makes me wonder if people are mad about this because because the in game token exists? If the token wasnt even a thing in WoW and they removed this mount would we be as mad?

"But the token does exist, that's why they removed it, its Blizzard wanting to be greedy"

And you could be right, but that wasnt he excuse for removing the others... while its easy to see this as big evil corporation wants ALL our money, and Blizzard does deserve that hate for some of the shit they have pulled, I do feel this is us getting mad at the token existing and less about us getting mad the mount is being removed. Because I do honestly feel Blizzard removing the mount isn't the real issue here.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Doesn't take a genius to see this is a disingenuous tactic with which to boost token sales.
    The logical converse of which is it takes a genius to see that this is not simply a tactic with which to boost token sales.

To be honest, I cannot tell you exactly why they're removing the Brutosaur. But I will say that using it to boost token sales doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. At current rates you'd need to buy 22 tokens in the EU (€440) or 27 in the US ($540). Furthermore, if this does actually end up driving up demand for tokens that will result in the token gold price diminishing, so it will cost even more. In short, this isn't an amount of real money that a lot of players will be able to afford and/or justify spending on a single item.

The main attraction of the Brutosaur is that you have a mobile AH. If access to the AH is that important to you, odds are you're one of the players who has the gold for it from....playing the AH. As @Nosgoth pointed out, if you're relying on tokens to buy the thing, you clearly have no real need for an AH mount.

If I were to hazard a guess as to why they're removing this mount, it's because it's meant to be exclusive and rare by virtue of it's pricetag, much like the Mammoth and Yak. But with the way inflation tends to work in the game, that gold cost could become entirely trivial in the future - just like it did with the Mammoth and then the Yak.

Anyhow, time for me to stop procrastinating and just buy the damned thing. I'd been hanging onto the gold in case of ... well, that's a good question. Truth be told I don't think I'll use the AH function that much since I actually have a dedicated low level AH alt who wouldn't be able to ride it anyway. Might be useful for my Alliance alt though