I don't think sale speed itself dooms a franchise. But blind loyalty will eventually. I think it's pretty proven in todays corporate environment if a company can produce trash and make more money off it then they certainly will do that. Of course this only happens with major successes and with that major success legions of both fanboys and haters will arise. At first the haters will be to critical and lose creditability and the fanboys will be justified. Then the corporate eye sees a determined fanboy crowd that will throw money at anything to show the haters who is boss and milk it. Slowly, and often silently, as this goes on fanboys start to diminish. They start to figure out they were dying on a hill that will never be the hill it once was. Then the hater crowd starts to get stronger and more numorous until you are left with only fanatical fanboys that will buy dozens of copies just because and an insane echo chamber of hate cult. The ratios usually always slide in the haters direction, and its usually justifiable, until the franchise realizes it needs a winner again and actually puts out a winner again. Then the ratio shifts hard and fast again to fanboys. You know, the we are back type of fanboys. If its enough the company knows it can drop a few more trashers because sales will be good enough. If its not the franchise will dip out for a while and have a reunion tour release in a few years once memories on the subject fog up a bit. Things just cycle again. Just another day in trying to get people to pay more or less weather your product is good or bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I don't think sale speed itself dooms a franchise. But blind loyalty will eventually. I think it's pretty proven in todays corporate environment if a company can produce trash and make more money off it then they certainly will do that. Of course this only happens with major successes and with that major success legions of both fanboys and haters will arise. At first the haters will be to critical and lose creditability and the fanboys will be justified. Then the corporate eye sees a determined fanboy crowd that will throw money at anything to show the haters who is boss and milk it. Slowly, and often silently, as this goes on fanboys start to diminish. They start to figure out they were dying on a hill that will never be the hill it once was. Then the hater crowd starts to get stronger and more numorous until you are left with only fanatical fanboys that will buy dozens of copies just because and an insane echo chamber of hate cult. The ratios usually always slide in the haters direction, and its usually justifiable, until the franchise realizes it needs a winner again and actually puts out a winner again. Then the ratio shifts hard and fast again to fanboys. You know, the we are back type of fanboys. If its enough the company knows it can drop a few more trashers because sales will be good enough. If its not the franchise will dip out for a while and have a reunion tour release in a few years once memories on the subject fog up a bit. Things just cycle again. Just another day in trying to get people to pay more or less weather your product is good or bad.
    Well if you think of it like a Ceo mind, it didnt sell well enogh. Its never enogh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Unfortunately, you are correct.
    Never trust the media.

Just look at this example. A Digimon game being reviewed by a Nintendo web site.
    Its friggin outrageous and a blatant lie with a mix os insane BIAS

https://www.metacritic.com/game/swit...mplete-edition

And is the best game ive played the whole year...by far.
    I liked cyberslueth, but it wasnt very good. No exploration, no overworld, lazy writing when playing as a girl, boring environments, annoying evolution requirements, way too long, i dont think the music was good since i cant remember any of it, etc

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    On the surface level, it's not **that** big a deal, but it does break immersion, removes evolution / encounter mechanics, and was a "feature" that all previous games bar gen 3 had. Why remove it? It also begs the question, what will future games remove? Is everything up for cutting? At this point, I could seem them removing trainer customization at some point "because".
    Gen 2 had it too, right

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I liked cyberslueth, but it wasnt very good. No exploration, no overworld, lazy writing when playing as a girl, boring environments, annoying evolution requirements, way too long, i dont think the music was good since i cant remember any of it, etc
    Its a Shin Megami Tensei / Persona game so there is no "open world" exploration.
    But the writting is very good IMO. The jokes at least are good

Im playing the hacker version though

May i ask you if there is actual "open world exploration" in the newest S&S Pokemon?
    I didnt seem to have on my Twitch viewership.
    At least not in the sense of being rewarded with a legendary pokemon by exploring like in red in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    More safe to say that you don't even read the posts before you hit reply, because you seem to agree with me word for word on the definition of grinding, yet you still reply to point out how you lack reading comprehension (or just lazy?).

You quoted the wrong person, but the right text. And you're misreading my post, I'm saying the same thing as you. "Zero battles beyond trainers and new Pokemon captures"... To re-word it for you, only doing trainer/rival battles along the story and capturing new Pokemon while avoiding other battles, aka avoiding grinding. You do that and you will be 60+ by time you hit the champion if you run a consistent team, but you will be fighting most with an advantage of 5-10 levels because the Champion is way above every other trainer.

I mean I'm not the only one saying this, so you having a different experience seems unlikely.
    My experience is completly different tho. When it comes to leveling I did the usual - random battles + all trainers. In between gyms I spent some time in Wild Area, catching mon and doing raid battles. By the end I had 3 boxes full of pokemon. Also, some exp from curry, tho it's not that much.

With that I was constantly either at or BELOW the gym's max level. That's taking into account the fact that a few pokemon I didn't swap like, ever, including the starter, so they were always being fed exp. Battle against last gym leader, I had like 47s against his 50, and it was a suprisingly close match (due to the fact that I never use healing items in trainer battles, makes things more fun).

I have no idea how people are saying they are constantly overleveling the game, especially with pokemon 10 or more levels above. You get shit exp for battles way below your level, which is something that prevents you from overleveling things. Not that the game ever got hard (again, aside of Raihanfor me), but it certainly felt well balanced in terms of levels.

Ok, the "league" was stupidly easy and for some reason lower level than Raihan, that's an exception.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its a Shin Megami Tensei / Persona game so there is no "open world" exploration.
    But the writting is very good IMO. The jokes at least are good

Im playing the hacker version though

May i ask you if there is actual "open world exploration" in the newest S&S Pokemon?
    I didnt seem to have on my Twitch viewership.
    At least not in the sense of being rewarded with a legendary pokemon by exploring like in red in blue.
    You can go anywhere and theres no menu to pick an area like most low budget rpgs use these days

You can go anywhere and theres no menu to pick an area like most low budget rpgs use these days
    "You can go anywhere" without any exploration to secret areas...is not any better though.

15+ Year Old Account
    "You can go anywhere" without any exploration to secret areas...is not any better though.
    Overworlds are much better than menus over a 2d background

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    And catching new pokemon in each area isn't the equivalent to grinding..
    What is this the 6th time that I said catching new Pokemon is not grinding, and the 6th time you've not read it and then quoted me to show you disagree by agreeing with what I said? Are you ever going to attempt reading comprehension?

I have never once said that catching Pokemon is grinding, I have said in every post the literal opposite. You don't read posts that you're replying to. If you want less "Ad-hominem" how about you read and understand what I've written before you respond, otherwise you're arguing against figment of your own imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    My experience is completly different tho. When it comes to leveling I did the usual - random battles + all trainers. In between gyms I spent some time in Wild Area, catching mon and doing raid battles. By the end I had 3 boxes full of pokemon..
    This seems to be the difference here, I had 7 boxes of Pokemon at the end of my journey. The significant differences can only come down to how many Pokemon people are catching along the way.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2019-11-22 at 06:18 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Yeah I'm gonna echo that I too spent a lot of time in the wild area and catching pokemon prior to taking on many of the gyms and my pokemon were always either right at or a couple levels above / below the next gym. Not 10+. Not that the game was hard (I never lost a match), but I'm gonna question that the scaling is really off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I think they did just fine and so did 6 million other people.

Not everyone is salty about the game not including all the pokemon. Hell honestly I wish they would do a full reboot and just go to 151 again or limit each game to the new set of pokemon.

Not everyone has a hate boner for the game and lots clearly enjoy it.

Two posts after this and we got one of those in this thread....
    Flashbacks to Let's Go

:P

But yeah, it's kinda predictable at this point. I knew before it launched that even if it was perfect in all regards (It's not, mind you, but it's a pretty dang good game in my opinion), people would still hate on it for the dex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    What is this the 6th time that I said catching new Pokemon is not grinding, and the 6th time you've not read it and then quoted me to show you disagree by agreeing with what I said? Are you ever going to attempt reading comprehension?

I have never once said that catching Pokemon is grinding, I have said in every post the literal opposite. You don't read posts that you're replying to. If you want less "Ad-hominem" how about you read and understand what I've written before you respond, otherwise you're arguing against figment of your own imagination.

This seems to be the difference here, I had 7 boxes of Pokemon at the end of my journey. The significant differences can only come down to how many Pokemon people are catching along the way.

And what was that complaint you had about me cutting your posts down to address specific things?

Your claim was you have to "actively avoid grinding". Again, grinding is not an activity you "actively avoid".
    I really, really think you just haven't played games that encourage grinding like Disgaea.

"Avoiding grinding" is a completely contradictory statement in the first place because you have to go out of your way to grind. If you play Pokemon normally without going out of your way to grind, you end up on the level curve.

And to your 2nd point, again, you ignored that I have nearly as many pokemon as you do while still not being at the end of the game, yet my pokemon have been consistently at or near the level of the gyms.

Ex- Beat the Rock gym last night, my Sirfetch'd was at level 41 compared to their level 42-43 range.
    My highest was an Alcremie that I'll admit was at 48, but that was because I dumped too many exp candies on it at the start on accident and caused it to overlevel myself, so it's been consistently 5 levels higher than most of my team. Which is what I feel you probably did and won't admit for whatever reason that you used the exp candies from raids.

Lastly, it's a bit concerning that you try to justify the use of personal attacks in a discussion in such a way. It's not hard to keep it civil without being mocking, and the more you have to "mock" to prove your point, I would say the less likely it is you had a point in the first place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Flashbacks to Let's Go

:P

But yeah, it's kinda predictable at this point. I knew before it launched that even if it was perfect in all regards (It's not, mind you, but it's a pretty dang good game in my opinion), people would still hate on it for the dex.

And what was that complaint you had about me cutting your posts down to address specific things?

Your claim was you have to "actively avoid grinding". Again, grinding is not an activity you "actively avoid".
    I really, really think you just haven't played games that encourage grinding like Disgaea.

"Avoiding grinding" is a completely contradictory statement in the first place because you have to go out of your way to grind. If you play Pokemon normally without going out of your way to grind, you end up on the level curve.

And to your 2nd point, again, you ignored that I have nearly as many pokemon as you do while still not being at the end of the game, yet my pokemon have been consistently at or near the level of the gyms.

Ex- Beat the Rock gym last night, my Sirfetch'd was at level 41 compared to their level 42-43 range.
    My highest was an Alcremie that I'll admit was at 48, but that was because I dumped too many exp candies on it at the start on accident and caused it to overlevel myself, so it's been consistently 5 levels higher than most of my team. Which is what I feel you probably did and won't admit for whatever reason that you used the exp candies from raids.

Lastly, it's a bit concerning that you try to justify the use of personal attacks in a discussion in such a way. It's not hard to keep it civil without being mocking, and the more you have to "mock" to prove your point, I would say the less likely it is you had a point in the first place.
    Can you stop writing novels every page. You two are ridiculous at this point

Can you stop writing novels every page. You two are ridiculous at this point
    But I like this sub-dom erotic outlash.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    But I like this sub-dom erotic outlash.
    I likE 2 guys boning as much as the next girl but they arent making it hot at all

I likE 2 guys boning as much as the next girl but they arent making it hot at all
    Too few nine tails and collars?

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

15+ Year Old Account
    Too few nine tails and collars?
    Not enough foreplay

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Who looks at user reviews on Metacritic? Everyone knows they are useless, its either shills giving undeserved 10s or bombers giving undeserved 0s.

Look at the critic score. Little Town Hero got 64. THAT is the level of Game Freak quality when they don't add extra 20 points for Pikachu.
    So critic reviews matter for LTH but don't for Pokemon? Is that your logic then?

Not enough foreplay
    That's a shame. Perhaps we ought to donate some candles for wax.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's a shame. Perhaps we ought to donate some candles for wax.
    Agreeeeeed