Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The Old Republic and OT make zero sense together. That's not to say the Old Republic stories as a completely separate alt universe. It's bad world building to go from the Kotor era where every is is a force god or super soldier to the OT to post EU era where even astromech droids are OP. That's what makes 'old canon' hot garbage. Separate them out akin to say, Marvel universes, you get a bit more cohesion. Kotor Universe, mainline 'Disney' canon, Legends.
    I don't get it. Ever heard of war? Where most of the legends and "force"gods kill themselves off in fighting, and what's left is much weaker than what was before, as lots of knowledge is lost, and the same environement that propelled the development of using the force to such a level is not there - either because the conditions for discovery such aspeace or competition are jus tnot there any more.. furthermore, what if those with the knowledge simply refuse to pass it on to more people.. like the Sith operating the rule of 2?

There very plausible and legitimate scenarios that can see a kotor type force enhanced or propraged galaxy severly lessened to what we see in the pre-quesls, just as the state of force usage in the pre-quesl is much stronger than that of the Empire era and post it.

They literally did it within the current star wars timeline, how can you not see that similar would have happened in a different degree and level of intensity in the earlier republic days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    That is the case for any IP. But Lucas never directly stated any of the EU or all of the EU was non canonical. That was Disney and that was only 5 years ago. Until then the EU was canon.
    The entire reason we have the term "Expanded Universe" at all was Lucas' consideration that the novels and games were [i]not[i] core canon and that he could and would retcon any and/or all of it in a hot second if he wanted to in his films.

It was a term that separated it from the core universe of the films. It was never considered a single body of canon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait how old is mandalorian. Since those were not the droids we were looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The entire reason we have the term "Expanded Universe" at all was Lucas' consideration that the novels and games were [i]not[i] core canon and that he could and would retcon any and/or all of it in a hot second if he wanted to in his films.

It was a term that separated it from the core universe of the films. It was never considered a single body of canon.
    If not, then Disney never would not have needed to make a clear distinction that they were no longer canonical. They were canonical until Lucas wanted to contradict a specific source, then that part or that source was no longer canonical.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I don't get it. Ever heard of war? Where most of the legends and "force"gods kill themselves off in fighting, and what's left is much weaker than what was before, as lots of knowledge is lost, and the same environement that propelled the development of using the force to such a level is not there - either because the conditions for discovery such aspeace or competition are jus tnot there any more.. furthermore, what if those with the knowledge simply refuse to pass it on to more people.. like the Sith operating the rule of 2?

There very plausible and legitimate scenarios that can see a kotor type force enhanced or propraged galaxy severly lessened to what we see in the pre-quesls, just as the state of force usage in the pre-quesl is much stronger than that of the Empire era and post it.

They literally did it within the current star wars timeline, how can you not see that similar would have happened in a different degree and level of intensity in the earlier republic days.
    i mean, i think it's just because the old republic era is mostly told through games. look at swtor for example, sith inquisitor is doing shit at level 10 that makes movie palpatine look like an absolute chump. literally just ran through the black talon flashpoint and inquisitor blasts one of those big metal doors(the ones in ships, blast doors?) open with force lightning, and sith warrior force pushes it open.

nobody in the movies could have done anything like that. the only thing comparable is the scene where obi-wan and quigon use force speed to escape the droids after having to cut their way through the blast door(meaning, they likely couldn't just blast it open like these characters did).

games gotta go big to keep the player interested, so it makes the movies look weak. lucas established(before disney took over, idk what the stance is now) that palpatine was the strongest sith to ever livem and all he did was fling some lightning that looks about comparable to the lightning inquisitor shoots at level three.

- - - Updated - - -

If not, then Disney never would not have needed to make a clear distinction that they were no longer canonical. They were canonical until Lucas wanted to contradict a specific source, then that part or that source was no longer canonical.
    lucas specifically said that the EU stuff was nice, but that it "isn't my universe", outright stating he saw it as a separate canon.

everyone knew this, disney just changed the name from "expanded universe" to "legends".
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2019-11-22 at 04:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They didn't need to, they did it to temper fans expectations and to clarify the direction they were going to take the franchise. They wanted to get out in front and say that they didn't pay $4 billion to adapt a bunch of books written by a number of different authors. That they were going to write all new stories for the series. Lucas always left things rather vague probably because he was never sure if he was going to make more movies or not but also so he could keep making money with zero effort simply my letting other people write stories in the Star Wars universe.

They didn't make anything that was canon no longer canon, they just stated officially that everything in the sort of canon gray area is non-canon.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i mean, i think it's just because the old republic era is mostly told through games. look at swtor for example, sith inquisitor is doing shit at level 10 that makes movie palpatine look like an absolute chump. literally just ran through the black talon flashpoint and inquisitor blasts one of those big metal doors(the ones in ships, blast doors?) open with force lightning, and sith warrior force pushes it open.

nobody in the movies could have done anything like that. the only thing comparable is the scene where obi-wan and quigon use force speed to escape the droids after having to cut their way through the blast door(meaning, they likely couldn't just blast it open like these characters did).

games gotta go big to keep the player interested, so it makes the movies look weak. lucas established(before disney took over, idk what the stance is now) that palpatine was the strongest sith to ever livem and all he did was fling some lightning that looks about comparable to the lightning inquisitor shoots at level three.

- - - Updated - - -

lucas specifically said that the EU stuff was nice, but that it "isn't my universe", outright stating he saw it as a separate canon.

everyone knew this, disney just changed the name from "expanded universe" to "legends".
    Indeed, but it's odd Pacox would come down heavy on kotor setting, when the Force Unleashed is even more overpowered in it's god like force ability - i mean destroying whole spaceships with the force, let's not even start withLuke's powers in the very canon Extended universe whichwas canon until new owners Disney ditched it for KAthleen's force is female dream. - which went down very well.

Let's not even start with lightsabers and Ren. Lovely actress though.

But you are correct that games have generally almost always ended up more overpowered than films, and not just for force users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, but it's odd Pacox would come down heavy on kotor setting, when the Force Unleashed is even more overpowered in it's god like force ability - i mean destroying whole spaceships with the force,
    If we're talking about the Old Republic era rather than KOTOR specifically, the stuff in KOTOR I/II is small change, Force-wise.

SW:TOR is where you get balls-out crazy. The Emperor, there, is an entity who's essentially a force ghost that can possess living beings, destroying any self they had. He's strong enough that exactly one person has ever resisted him; whatever character it is you're playing through the DLC as.

And that's not the crazy shit. We're talking "suck all life from an entire planet at once, from across the Galaxy" levels of power. They thought his incorporeal entity was present, but it wasn't; he was doing that from outside known space entirely.

Frankly, when Lucas says Palpatine is the strongest Sith ever, that's a statement that only makes sense if you consider that Lucas is only speaking of the films and his own opinion, ignoring all other content; all the EU novels, all the games, all of it. Kibitzing over what's canon or not misses the point; in the Legends canon, Palpatine is small change. You can't rationally claim Palpatine is the strongest ever, and be including that content in your evaluation. No ancient Sith Empire, no Old Republic era, none of that stuff ever happened in the universe where Palpatine is King Sith of All Time.

From the perspective Lucas is talking about, you've got maybe two handfuls of Sith, ever, to consider.

Another solid episode. On the one hand, the over-the-top action spectacles at the end of each episode are a little immersion breaking for me. I get that we want our hero to be outgunned, but there is always this shift from believable action sequences to absurd which is just a bit jarring. The latest one has a perfect contrast in the sequence where he assaults the compound which feels clever, stealthy, and tense, and the sequence where somehow 50 bounty hunters surrounding him at all angles can't do anything but shoot ineffectually near him while he stays mostly in one place and waits for backup. On the other hand, the mandos coming to the rescue was really fun, and felt like foreshadowing for something really big coming down the line.

The show is really nicely done. It's a lot of fun seeing the Mandalorian culture expand in a live action series, makes me look forward to learning more about them. The little hints and buildup to the rescue was well executed, felt believable especially when tied into the flashes of backstory we get for the main character. The music, cinematography, and body language of the main character do an excellent job of imbuing emotion to an expressionless mask.

Was reading about how they shoot the backdrops and settings for the show, and it's really neat. Helps explain how a show like this is even possible:

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-mandalorian-stagecraft/
    “Jon Favreau and myself went into Disney and said, this is something that we would like to try and they said, what exactly is it? And we said we’re not exactly sure. We have no idea what this is going to cost, and we hadn’t ever built anything with the technology, which we’re now calling “Stagecraft” inside ILM, but it basically is a projection system on screens, and the real innovation is that when you move the camera inside this space, the parallax changes. So suddenly you’re in an environment that actually begins to behave in the same way it would in an actual 3D environment like this.”

“It was really funny as we had an executive from The Walt Disney Company come down early in the process because it’s one of those things that is difficult to explain until you walk into the environment to see how it’s working. And he stepped in, and he looked around, and he said, Jon, I thought you weren’t going to build anything. And he had no idea he was standing in a virtual set. That’s how unbelievable it is.”

“It means that if you want a big establishing shot in Iceland, and you don’t want to take 700 people, spend four months prepping a set because you only want to do the establishing shot and you can bring everything back to shoot interiors on a stage, that becomes very meaningful on big, huge projects and small projects. So the interesting thing with Mandalorian, the fact that we tested this technology inside of television and not on the big screen was the way we felt that we could take a big risk but not a giant risk.”

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Wait how old is mandalorian. Since those were not the droids we were looking for.
    I asked myself that too but I'm guessing his flashbacks where not during the clone wars even thought the droid there was present. I'm not sure if that event was the great purge being alluded but their beef seems to be with the Empire. If that's the case, he can't much older than Luke.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Was that a Trade Federation B2 battle droid? So the events in the flashbacks are at least 4+19 years old?

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, but it's odd Pacox would come down heavy on kotor setting, when the Force Unleashed is even more overpowered in it's god like force ability - i mean destroying whole spaceships with the force, let's not even start withLuke's powers in the very canon Extended universe whichwas canon until new owners Disney ditched it for KAthleen's force is female dream. - which went down very well.

Let's not even start with lightsabers and Ren. Lovely actress though.

But you are correct that games have generally almost always ended up more overpowered than films, and not just for force users.
    Chill out.
    I like the Kotor era. I said it makes a lot more sense if if just regard it as an alternative universe.

A lot of the EU after and surrounding the OT is trash or brilliant, with little falling in between. Disney did the soft reboot because what they bought was a hot mess.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    So with this episode, I'm just a bit curious why the rest of the Clan showed up to save his ass.

I get it, a tight knit group of warriors does not abandon their own kind, but he DID fuck it up for them, hes exposed them beyond necessity and now has forced them to relocate to another location to be safe again.

I also get they are in hiding because of what the Empire did before it collapsed, and also that they hated that he took the job for them to begin with. However, the forgemaster literally just explained to them that survival is necessary, even if it means putting hatreds aside for the empire to do so. I could see them siding with him for his defiance in the end, but it cost them all dearly as a result of it.

I hope some semblance of aftermath is explained in the next episode.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

That episode was awesome! I think it helps that we don't know much about the main character, I didn't know if he was actually going to go back for the kid. I figured he would because you want your main character to be likable but I had my doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Was that a Trade Federation B2 battle droid? So the events in the flashbacks are at least 4+19 years old?
    It was definitely the Clone Wars, so at least 20+ years ago, +5 after the fall of the Empire.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    So with this episode, I'm just a bit curious why the rest of the Clan showed up to save his ass.

I get it, a tight knit group of warriors does not abandon their own kind, but he DID fuck it up for them, hes exposed them beyond necessity and now has forced them to relocate to another location to be safe again.

I also get they are in hiding because of what the Empire did before it collapsed, and also that they hated that he took the job for them to begin with. However, the forgemaster literally just explained to them that survival is necessary, even if it means putting hatreds aside for the empire to do so. I could see them siding with him for his defiance in the end, but it cost them all dearly as a result of it.

I assume the baby yoda (for lack of a better word) will be indoctrinated into the clan or he already sponsored it or something. That would make the most sense to me as to why they would stick their necks out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Pedro Pascal is 44 years old. There's a 19 year gap inbetween the Clone Wars and New Hope, 4 years for the events of the original trilogy, +5 for the start of The Mandalorian, so 28-30 years ago, let's say he's around 10 in the flashback, that'd put him at 40 years old now. Sounds fine imho.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wermys View Post
    This is the way
    This is the way

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

No need for black blocks spoiler in this thread.

The Mandalorians hate both the imperial remnants n the bounty hunters, well the bounty hunter boss got their Beskar in his possession so no love lost, besides Mandalorians care about their future n look out for each other I guess.

I wonder if we'll see Sabine Wren n Ahsoka next season..you can only go so long without a lightsaber or two before fans get a bit grumpy...

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    This is the way

- - - Updated - - -

The Mandalorians hate both the imperial remnants n the bounty hunters, well the bounty hunter boss got their Beskar in his possession so no love lost, besides Mandalorians care about their future n look out for each other I guess.

I wonder if we'll see Sabine Wren n Ahsoka next season..you can only go so long without a lightsaber or two before fans get a bit grumpy...
    The "fans" getting grumpy aren't actual fans. Asking for more of the same over and over, or for flashy sword fights, just shows it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post

only put the tag for users who haven't seen the episode this early, I expect others to see it later tonight/today, depending on where they live.