Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    You realize that your impossibility to understand that people can actually like the DESIGN of Vanilla without needing "nostalgia" is a sign that YOU have something wrong in your head, not them ?

Well, of course not you don't realize, or you wouldn't be asking such retarded questions, but maybe you should think about it ?
    I'm saying I don't get how people can play the same game, with no changes to keep it fresh, for over 15 years without getting bored.

It's like, Half-Life 1 is a great game, tight controls, real trendsetter in the market at the time, but if you've done nothing but play that single FPS since its release, that's weird.

If this was the norm they just should never release new video games ever. WoW should have no content updates, no expansions, no nothin'. Think otherwise, apparently you're "retarded."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by HugsForFree View Post
    As much as i value your input, perhaps read through the conversation before commenting. Otherwise you run the risk of talking shite.
    I read through and everyone told you that you were an idiot. To be that bullheaded means that you either are a very big one, or are a plain troll.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm saying I don't get how people can play the same game, with no changes to keep it fresh, for over 15 years without getting bored.
    Do you also wonder why tennis players or chess players can do it for years on end without finding it boring ?
    Also, you do realize that one person can play Classic AND other games on the side ? My gaming time is not 100 % filled with WoW, and my free time isn't 100 % filled with video gaming (though ok, the latter is damn close ).
    If this was the norm they just should never release new video games ever. WoW should have no content updates, no expansions, no nothin'. Think otherwise, apparently you're "retarded."
    No what's retarded is the focus on "this is nostalgia", like the first sentence in your post clearly implied.
    "liking the design" is a much better explanation. People also keep playing Dark Souls or Civilization for years on end.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liberaet View Post
    I think it is because Classic is simply a lot better than most as a game - it is engaging, rewarding, you strive for something and feel great when achieving it, every class feels different and not bloated, it does not have a million mounts and other things that all of them become indistinguishable and therefore irrelevant, there is social interaction and it feels great when you make friends and run dungeons with people who you have seen and remember from earlier dungeons, it has a sense of adventure, you feel like you are in a world and not just hopping portals, it doesn't have any microtransactions and all the gear that you get with time investment, you can show off and be proud and sure that you achieved it and not bought it. It is just better as a game.
    Yeah, pretty much.

Got Perdition Blade yesterday. It's been years since I had been so excited to get a bunch of pixels in my bags
    The raiding is a bit bland for now due to facerolling-easy (one of the two biggest failures of Classic here, the other being the abysmal Blizzard management of servers and bugs), but I'm good, it's still fun to zerg bosses while waiting for more high-level content and I still have tons of alt to level up if I'm ever bored.

Casuals or private server players dont play the game for 15 years, they never did. It doesnt matter if the game gets changes or not since the content is not experienced anyways. Some even stop as soon as they reach content they have to REPEAT in a GRIND MMO, its that ridiculous.

WoW 2005 was allready tailored for casual players at its time but Classic 1.12 is another step further to dumb it down.

Classic is a great filter for Retail WoW. It is not fun to see players in the game stuck at the introduction leveling/WorldQuests because they can't meet the requirements for anything else in retail. At least they can experience a bit more in classic. And they dont need a changing game, because they will never even get to that point in classic.

This is just my opinion as a regular player with vanilla experience.

Last edited by Ange; 2019-11-21 at 10:31 AM.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Not really a phenomenon, but more of a reflection of how far Retail has changed from Vanilla. The games are far apart in very important ways that they really feel like two different games that happen to share a general theme.

For those of us who enjoy Classic, we recognize that a major issue with Retail is that it is extremely boring due to various decisions such as homogenization to such a degree that there are really only 4 classes in Retail at this point (tank, heal, rdps, mdps) and that the difference between a frost mage and a destro lock has more to do with animations anymore since they are all capable of doing the same thing anymore.

It also doesn't help that Blizz has been so much cheaper with the more recent expansions than initially. BC and Wrath were great in part because there was so much to them...more than twice as many dungeons and raids that were designed to be enjoyed, not designed to be raced through (literally in the case of Retail and M+).

Those are just a couple of many examples that can be provided in the differences between Vanilla and Retail. Basically, Blizz lost their way a long time ago, and Classic being such a success demonstrates that those of us pointing that out for years were absolutely right.
    I love it when people use "the success of classic" as an argument as to why retail is bad, worse, etc.

If Blizzard "lost their way", why does retail still have a lot of players? Why didn't everyone who play retail reroll to classic?

Recent expansions has more content and shit to do than the earlier expansions like TBC and Wrath, by the way. Strange that you left that out.

M+ and "racing through" has been one of the most successful features added in this game - ever. Strange to use that as an argument against retail.

Homogenization of classes? Alright. Is there really such a big difference to cast 90 shadowbolts on a boss instead of 90 fireballs? Alright.

If they're two different games as you say, it's strange as fuck that you're comparing them the way you're doing.

Classic isnt what it was to me, but that's mostly because of the community. I don't care for the people who're pretending that the community is the same or similar to how it was whole they go out of the way to point it out in forums and then use it as an argument.

Funnily enough, retail has been more enjoyable lately. Seems like a lot of players who stream and the kids who follows them left retail for classic, which is actually pretty darn great. Though I guess that also happened when Fortnite came out. Let's hope classic retains the popularity at least until the last phase is a few years old. Please.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Funnily enough, retail has been more enjoyable lately. Seems like a lot of players who stream and the kids who follows them left retail for classic, which is actually pretty darn great.
    PUGing in Retail got upgraded a lot after the Classic launch.
    -

I read through and everyone told you that you were an idiot. To be that bullheaded means that you either are a very big one, or are a plain troll.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you also wonder why tennis players or chess players can do it for years on end without finding it boring ?
    Also, you do realize that one person can play Classic AND other games on the side ? My gaming time is not 100 % filled with WoW, and my free time isn't 100 % filled with video gaming (though ok, the latter is damn close ).

No what's retarded is the focus on "this is nostalgia", like the first sentence in your post clearly implied.
    "liking the design" is a much better explanation. People also keep playing Dark Souls or Civilization for years on end.
    Everyone is a idiot/retard if they disagree with you, looks like you need some work on your social interaction.

I stand-by my original post in this thread, if classic/vanilla was a new release, it would quickly flop.

Quote Originally Posted by HugsForFree View Post
    Everyone is a idiot/retard if they disagree with you, looks like you need some work on your social interaction.
    You got that right. Now apply the lesson you gave, as you're the one everyone called an idiot.

If WoW Classic were a new game I don't think it would flop, but it certaintly wouldnt have been the most popular mmorpg of all time.

Travel times, being forced to pick and choose which skills you want to upgrade when you level since you can't afford all of them - things like this (I believe) would be offputting to many of the new age gamers, or at least complained about so much that we'd prob get mounts at level 20 and costs would be lowed by 50%

You got that right. Now apply the lesson you gave, as you're the one everyone called an idiot.
    As a rule of thumb, if you resort to name calling you have lost the argument. Not that you presented any argument in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    Have you been to a cinema in the last ~20 years? Almost all movies are remakes. Also...Terminator Dark Fate is basically a remake of T2...and it still flopped. So no, what was great back then will not always be great again.
    And that is not even a modern development. The roots of most themes used in our arts date back thousands of years. Even the bible combined older stories that predated it.

What Blizzard did much more clever than most movie-companies, though, is that you were not legally able to actually play Classic for the last 12 years. They simply forbade it. And now they allow you to play it again. Imagine if Nintendo forbade players to play "Zelda 3: A Link to the Past" since 1995 and now they would allow players to play it again...the hype would be unreal.
    Also, Blizzard did not invest hundreds of millions of dollars into an expensive reboot - they just had a small team port the game over to current hardware. I would bet that WoW:Classic has a better return/investment ratio than even mobile games.
    Underlined is a bold-faced lie.

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    I don't think it is a phenomenon. It is a successful game because there is still a rabid fanbase for this type of MMO that is not seen currently.
    I think it's very much this. Also all the players that dropped off xpac after xpac.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they don't play it that hardcore. In Classic, you can take your time because you know the content won't be removed/outdated even if you don't nolife it. You can just chill, you know. There are people who actually like this kind of approach to the game.