Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeHongKong View Post
    Growing up I played football and rugby, also did track, wrestled, and few other sports.

Toured Europe playing rugby, but blew out my knew In college.

I owned a fitness company so I couldn’t do any sports, but since I moved 2,000 miles away and gave up my career, and invested in 10 rental properties, I might get back into them.

More looking into paint balling actually.

What about you?
    Sorry to hear about the knee; I know how fucked up those injuries can be. I over extended my LCL a few weeks ago and while it's nothing serious, I still feel it during sparring. There are plenty of sports you can do with a bum knee. Paint ball seems like a fun game, but not very useful in any way.

Anyway, I train BJJ (gi and no-gi) 4-5 days a week. I used to do MMA, but it's the ground game that I always loved most.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-11-24 at 06:51 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Sorry to hear about the knee; I know how fucked up those injuries can be. I over extended my LCL a few weeks ago and while it's nothing serious, I still feel it during sparring. There are plenty of sports you can do with a bum knee. Paint ball seems like a fun game, but not very useful in any way.

Anyway, I train BJJ (gi and no-gi) 4-5 days a week. I used to do MMA, but it's the ground game that I always loved most.
    I did boxing, but mma seems tough AF.
    I don’t think I could handle it.
    Being punched in the face just doesn’t seem too exciting for me haha.

You seem like one badass. Nice man.

I honestly see this game as a way to push index (valve vr)
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    And that is all it is. Anyone who claims else is fucking high. Valve stopped giving a shit about gamers and making games LONGGGGGG ago.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeHongKong View Post
    I did boxing, but mma seems tough AF.
    I don’t think I could handle it.
    Being punched in the face just doesn’t seem too exciting for me haha.

You seem like one badass. Nice man.
    To be honest, anyone that does a 1 on 1, full contact sport (be it MMA, Jiu Jitsu or boxing), is a badass; whether they're good at it or not. It takes a lot of guts to stand there.

Sorry for my previous, somewhat hostile reply. Good luck with the knee, I wish you a very speedy recovery and sorry for going off-topic, people.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    And that is all it is. Anyone who claims else is fucking high. Valve stopped giving a shit about gamers and making games LONGGGGGG ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Getting myself a new top-tier gaming rig next year for CP77, will be picking up an Index as well just to play this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Getting myself a new top-tier gaming rig next year for CP77, will be picking up an Index as well just to play this.
    Case in point, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    https://i.redd.it/38nibfuu2a041.jpg
    You can push something by including feature support that only your product offers as well, which is pretty much whole point of the index over the HTC.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Case in point, I guess.
    Eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    snip
    and clearly as said by valve it works best with index. If it wasnt just a ploy to sell vr it wouldnt be a vr only game when they clearly know the masses want a new half life game.

and clearly as said by valve it works best with index. If it wasnt just a ploy to sell vr it wouldnt be a vr only game when they clearly know the masses want a new half life game.
    And if they just wanted to move Index units, they'd lock it down and make it an Index exclusive.

Part of their goal may be broader VR adoption overall, which includes but isn't limited to the Index, but that would speak more to them looking to make more VR games and grow the hardware audience overall rather than a move to sell the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And if they just wanted to move Index units, they'd lock it down and make it an Index exclusive.

Part of their goal may be broader VR adoption overall, which includes but isn't limited to the Index, but that would speak more to them looking to make more VR games and grow the hardware audience overall rather than a move to sell the hardware.
    Or they just did the math and figured that selling the game to many people with some kind of VR brings them more than banking on people buying a brand new system that is currently the most expensive on the market.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

And as i said before if they cared about making a good game and selling a game without a secondary motive of moving vr unit they would have simply made half life 3. The mere fact that they said more half life games would be made if this one sells well shows this as well. Not a fucking person on this planet would argue that half life 3 would break sales records and be bought by nearly everyone and thier mother if sold, so the fact that they try and hide it behind making sure this vr game does well is bullshit. Im sure including all vr units in compatibility is more of a, hey you can play it on all of these but look at all this nifty shit you can do better or only on the index.

I have an HTC Vive I bought years ago that is now collecting dust in my basement. When this game comes out I might have to go out and find it again. If anything, Valve will be at the forefront of VR adaptation

And as i said before if they cared about making a good game and selling a game without a secondary motive of moving vr unit they would have simply made half life 3. The mere fact that they said more half life games would be made if this one sells well shows this as well. Not a fucking person on this planet would argue that half life 3 would break sales records and be bought by nearly everyone and thier mother if sold, so the fact that they try and hide it behind making sure this vr game does well is bullshit. Im sure including all vr units in compatibility is more of a, hey you can play it on all of these but look at all this nifty shit you can do better or only on the index.
    But that's kind of always been their thing. All of their games have been designed to push concepts, new ideas, and new technology. I don't see this being any different. That's not to say they don't care about anything else, the quality of their games speak for themselves, but go watch the original Half-Life 2 demo and its basically a sales pitch for their Source engine. With HL:A, all that new tech is being added to the Source engine, which will allow other developers to use that same tech, and thus bring the Source engine back into the spotlight while further pushing VR.

It should also be noted that Valve has been wanting to push VR for quite some time, the fact that they designed the Index is proof of that. The best way for them to push VR is for them to make their own games for it and show off what they can do with it and what all is possible. If you look at their IPs, Half Life really is the best choice for this. It has a varying pace; slow areas used to explore mixed with hectic moments of combat. It has a semblance of a story, with characters that can be built upon. All of these mix together to make an actual game, not some mobile/tech demo toy that has plagued VR, a full-fledged 20 hour game. Whether or not its good (I'm betting it is), or sells well (I'm sure it'll do OK, but like you said, will pale compared to a standard game) is irrelevant. If it boosts the adoption of VR and helps make it a viable platform, then it will be a success.

Will I get it? No. I don't have a VR headset, and I do not plan on getting one within the next year. 2021 or 22, perhaps, but no time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelson View Post
    I have an HTC Vive I bought years ago that is now collecting dust in my basement. When this game comes out I might have to go out and find it again. If anything, Valve will be at the forefront of VR adaptation
    I sold my Vive literally two days after receiving; it was that bad. Interestingly enough I made a significant profit too. Some guy was willing to pay twice retail just to get his hands on one. Go figure.

We've got a few Rifts at the hospital which I could borrow if I wanted to. But I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    But that's kind of always been their thing. All of their games have been designed to push concepts, new ideas, and new technology. I don't see this being any different. That's not to say they don't care about anything else, the quality of their games speak for themselves, but go watch the original Half-Life 2 demo and its basically a sales pitch for their Source engine. With HL:A, all that new tech is being added to the Source engine, which will allow other developers to use that same tech, and thus bring the Source engine back into the spotlight while further pushing VR.

It should also be noted that Valve has been wanting to push VR for quite some time, the fact that they designed the Index is proof of that. The best way for them to push VR is for them to make their own games for it and show off what they can do with it and what all is possible. If you look at their IPs, Half Life really is the best choice for this. It has a varying pace; slow areas used to explore mixed with hectic moments of combat. It has a semblance of a story, with characters that can be built upon. All of these mix together to make an actual game, not some mobile/tech demo toy that has plagued VR, a full-fledged 20 hour game. Whether or not its good (I'm betting it is), or sells well (I'm sure it'll do OK, but like you said, will pale compared to a standard game) is irrelevant. If it boosts the adoption of VR and helps make it a viable platform, then it will be a success.

Will I get it? No. I don't have a VR headset, and I do not plan on getting one within the next year. 2021 or 22, perhaps, but no time soon.
    Half life 2 valve and 2019 valve are 2 very very very different companies.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Meh. VR is something I have yet to get super excited over.

I've played with a VR headset at a friend's house and will admit that I found it fun, but not enough to justify the cost of the hardware involved. I forget specifics, but he had a headset, two of those stick/controller deals, and two of those base station things or whatever they're called, and he said that whole package came out to around $500.

Everyone is complaining about the cost of VR...

But let’s see...

Consoles costs the same price as a VR headset.

And a TV Costs the same cost as a PC.

Logic...