Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    It would fly around n melee planets like Sargeras would??
    Actually there was an old Doctor Who story from 1978 about that. The story was called The Pirate Planet. This planet was run by Queen Xanxia. She was dying but created these things called "time dams" to suspend her in the last moments of her life. To power the time dams, she hollowed out her planet and jumped her planet across the universe in hyperspace to swallow smaller planets whole and devour them, population and all. Some of the power was used to create a holographic clone of herself which was slowly taking corporeal form. Her plan was to eventually stabilize her clone with the massive energy the planet was devouring and then let her original body die.

she ran into a problem in that as the populations of entire planets got devoured, their souls would haunt her world and unleash immense psychic power causing some of her own people to change into super psychic beings who wanted to stop her.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-11-25 at 10:17 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Actually there was an old Doctor Who story from 1978 about that. The story was called The Pirate Planet. This planet was run by Queen Xanxia. She was dying but created these things called "time dams" to suspend her in the last moments of her life. To power the time dams, she hollowed out her planet and jumped her planet across the universe in hyperspace to swallow smaller planets whole and devour them, population and all. Some of the power was used to create a holographic clone of herself which was slowly taking corporeal form. Her plan was to eventually stabilize her clone with the massive energy the planet was devouring and then let her original body die.

she ran into a problem in that as the populations of entire planets got devoured, their souls would haunt her world and unleash immense psychic power causing some of her own people to change into super psychic beings who wanted to stop her.
    That is a good example of "at the time it made sense", because back then cloning wasn't as fimly rooted in the public's memory as today. Today the whole thing is extremely silly, because before you go on space trip with your whole damn planet, the odds are your civilisation has mastered cloning and functional immortality for ages.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Funny thing is that Fans had a much more interesting idea about how Starkiller base worked, or where it got its energy, befor we saw it sucking up stars for fuel. They suggested that it was simply the hollowed-out former planet of Illum, famous for being the galaxies richest source of Kyber crystals, and where most Jedi went to get theirs, once their masters deemed them ready to have their own saber. Essentially, fans theorized that the First Order build a gigantic lightsaber while desecrating one of the Jedis former holy places. While it's still complete bs, I liked the supposed symbolism.
    That's not a theory anymore. Jedi: Fallen Order essentially confirms that Ilum was turned into Starkiller Base.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    That's not a theory anymore. Jedi: Fallen Order essentially confirms that Ilum was turned into Starkiller Base.
    How so? The only thing they show is the Empire mining Kyber crystals.

How so? The only thing they show is the Empire mining Kyber crystals.

It's not explicitly confirmed, but the imagery speaks for itself. Also, Ilum and Starkiller Base are shown as being in the same place on galactic maps released by LFL.
    Last edited by AbalDarkwind; 2019-11-25 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post

It's not explicitly confirmed, but the imagery speaks for itself. Also, Ilum and Starkiller Base are shown as being in the same place on galactic maps released by LFL.
    Oh, is that the planets image if you return? I only went there once. Yeah, that is pretty much confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    -snip-

You know full well the conspiracy and social/political agenda talk that this YouTuber espouses is forbidden on this subforum. You cannot circumvent that rule by posting a YT video without commentary and hope it goes unnoticed.
    Totalitarian forum mod.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

10+ Year Old Account
    There are metrics by which one can objectively judge many forms of art, including movies.
    That's not how the force works. It is okay if you believe that but there is no way to "measure" how good a movie is. Sure we can look at a movie like Green Lantern were the majority doesn't like it. But that doesn't mean it is objectively bad.

5+ Year Old Account
    Oh, is that the planets image if you return? I only went there once. Yeah, that is pretty much confirmation.
    I considered it confirmed 4 years ago when maps put Starkiller base where Ilum used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    I considered it confirmed 4 years ago when maps put Starkiller base where Ilum used to be.
    Yeah, that's when the theories started. Jedi: Fallen Order just lays out visual confirmation of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Wait... Are they riding horses on top of a star destroyer /facepalm

Here we go again...
    Why not? They aren't in space during that scene.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Just calling it now before any of the haters call it out, but this will also be the #1 box office movie this year. That will make everyone one of the Disney's Star Wars sequels the #1 movie the year they were released which is all Disney really cares about.
    Gonna be hard with Endgame as competition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    They ditched the Lucas cut that people were apparently pretty okay with. We're getting Rey as the new Skywalker.
    Wasn't the last "leak" making Rey to be Palpatine's lineage.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    That's not how the force works. It is okay if you believe that but there is no way to "measure" how good a movie is. Sure we can look at a movie like Green Lantern were the majority doesn't like it. But that doesn't mean it is objectively bad.
    Movie experience is subjective. Things like soundtrack, visuals, acting, story, camerawork, sounddesign, editing, pacing, cinematography in general, can easily be quantified. And no, what made Green Lantern bad wasn't how audiences recieved it. What mad it bad was the poor story, the poor way the story was told, the crappy CGI, the sub-par acting sans Ryan Reynolds, end even he wasn't at his a-game, the forgettable soundtrack, and a few other poor choices aswell. So Green Lantern is a bad movie, mostly subjectively, but also objectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Axxil View Post
    Wasn't the last "leak" making Rey to be Palpatine's lineage.
    Spoiler I guess.. the last rumors I heard essentially painted the whole skywalker thing as it becoming a title - which it pretty much was anyway since the name was very on the nose in Ep4. It's just a cop-out to get some attention to the movie while still making it somehwat relevant.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Wait... Are they riding horses on top of a star destroyer /facepalm

Here we go again...
    Space Ponies: Friendship is magic!

Can't wait for a 2 hour redlettermedia video, 1 hour dedicated to stupid ponies
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-11-25 at 04:04 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I still can't even describe Rey's personality and she is the main character lol.
    I still hold the opinion that out of all of the new characters the only one with actual character is kylo and even Bb is better then Rey poe and Finn.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Spoiler I guess.. the last rumors I heard essentially painted the whole skywalker thing as it becoming a title - which it pretty much was anyway since the name was very on the nose in Ep4. It's just a cop-out to get some attention to the movie while still making it somehwat relevant.
    Reminds me of something mentioned in some relatively recent story featuring Thrawn, where he mentions that in his culture they use youth to guide them in hyperspace, and that the translation of the title the Chiss give them is sky walker
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

5+ Year Old Account
    They released a new clip now, hey since its a desert lets just do...mad max...literally? Yes...they are chased by stormtroopers on bikes, not hoverbikes like in Ep06...but with wheels...and then 2 stormtroopers are catapulted forward mad max fury road style...
    Poe: "they can fly now!?"
    In a movie franchise where u can do intetstellar travel...

Found it, it's so fucking dumb...
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-11-25 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Reminds me of something mentioned in some relatively recent story featuring Thrawn, where he mentions that in his culture they use youth to guide them in hyperspace, and that the translation of the title the Chiss give them is sky walker
    Yeah, it's not exactly a new or rare concept. There are a few examples of such titles, like Planeswalker, (Other)wold/(Inter)dimensional Traveler and others that play with the idea of traversing great distances or even planes of existence, yet are refered to with rather primitive language. It's almost a trope in fantasy writing.

Edit: As for the sand-bikes. Meh, depends on if they are standard equipment for the clone troopers or not. It makes sense for the locals to rely on relatively cheap and simple technology, for the overpowered empire that is going to throw a 1000 star destroyers at us later in the movie, not so much. Especially if the heroes are already escaping on hoverbikes. I'm more concerned with Rey's stormtrooper-like aim. In fact, after her levitation stunt in the last one they better have some good explanations for her suddenly forgetting her force powers.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-11-25 at 06:01 PM.

After TLJ, i fear what will be episode 9.

E7 seemed a total reboot of E4, E8 fell flat on creating an engaging Star Wars story, so what will E9 become? Another E6 reboot, with Rey fighting Palpatine at the end with another Ewok planet in danger?

I have heard that Kylo Ren will die and Rey is a descendant of Palpatine, which means in the end Palpatine wins, because his family remains and the Skywalker family bloodline ends. If this really is the end of the franchise, i will really give up on Disney's Star Wars franchise, because this is the worse outcome for the Skywalker Saga, even being Rey the main character of Disney's triology.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    They released a new clip now, hey since its a desert lets just do...mad max...literally? Yes...they are chased by stormtroopers on bikes, not hoverbikes like in Ep06...but with wheels...and then 2 stormtroopers are catapulted forward mad max fury road style...
    Poe: "they can fly now!?"
    In a movie franchise where u can do intetstellar travel...

Found it, it's so fucking dumb...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCPiBWrIaSI
    What’s wrong with the weird hover tread bikes it’s not the first wheeled thing they have had in Starwars and not the weirdest.

As to there surprise at the jet packs I don’t think first order troopers have used them on the past so it makes sense they would be a little off put by it.