Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    still think is unbelievable the amount of 3 and below i give to this, the sad part is there is a lot of potential wasted, i mean there are some great mid and first evolution, but the last one is garbage, i love the apple dragon mid form, but the final evolution was a huge letdown
    What midform? It is two stage line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye that caught me offguard at first too. but its a splitline. Flapple best one by far tho, mostly cuz it reminds me of appelflap

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    What midform? It is two stage line.
    applin>>Fapple>>appletum no?

the second looks awesome, i mean in a design standpoint, is unique and cool, but the last one looks terrible and kinda destroyed all the desire to have one

applin>>Fapple>>appletum no?

the second looks awesome, i mean in a design standpoint, is unique and cool, but the last one looks terrible and kinda destroyed all the desire to have one
    You can get flapple in sword and appletun in shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    Yep, Sweet Apple or Tart Apple basically.

And there's a gigawhatevermax form apparently but I haven't found it yet.

Flapple has higher attack/special attack, Appletun has higher defense/special defense as far as I know. And as expected, coz Sword and Shield.

And no I haven't forgotten the other post in case Syeg thinks I did, I've just been busy :P

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    so they are both different evolution from the previous one, and not that flappe evolve into appletun?

if so its a relief

10+ Year Old Account
    so they are both different evolution from the previous one, and not that flappe evolve into appletun?

if so its a relief
    Is it possible to trade a apple as a hold item on another pokemon to get the other version?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Is it possible to trade a apple as a hold item on another pokemon to get the other version?
    Just double checked, yes. Tart Apple can be held by a pokemon.

Some little things in this game and other pokemon games just make me so mad. Such as:

1) You can't press B to cancel move learning, but you can for other prompts. Keep it consistent please?

2) Or the fact you have to sit through the stupid egg animation every time you get a new one.

3) Or you have to sit through the ball guys animation after every champion cup to get your reward.

4) Having to see the dynamax armband animation at the start of every d-battle - yes, I know I can dynamax GF...

It sucks that GF is an unambitious and lazy dev, but they also have to insist on making these games such a slog to play - slow animations, cumbersome menus, pointless handholding after mechanics have been explained, etc...
    or like having to see the dynamax animation at the beginning of every battle

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    slow animations, cumbersome menus, pointless handholding after mechanics have been explained, etc...
    or like having to see the dynamax animation at the beginning of every battle
    On this point...

I can't confirm this since I don't own the game, but it seems some videos on Youtube show it: apparently online battles have a 20 minute timer (1 minute limit per turn, 20 minutes total for the whole battle).

This looks meaningless at first. 20 minutes looks like plenty of time for a standard match, right? Except the timer does not stop while you're on menus, it does not stop during animations, nothing. This means that if a player wants to, they can stall the match by taking nearly the full minute per turn to make a move. Dynamax animations in general eat a chunk of time by themselves. And if the battle times out, whoever has the most Pokemon left is given the win. And it seems this timer isn't present only for 6v6 matches, but for Doubles as well. And it can't be changed or disabled or anything. I heard something about downloadable rulesets, but I honestly have no idea about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Oh the stupid mechanic that made op pokemon more op because they didnt either give it to pokemon that desperately needed it or just give them an evolution? Swsh did that though! Im glad its gone like z moves and no i dont like dynamax either
    My problem with mega evolutions were the incredibly lazy designs for most of them. "What's your idea for Metagross being at its peak of evolution?" "Oh, I have an idea, it sitting on it's ass with its legs pointed forward." "Give that man a raise!"

To me at least 90% of them were uninspired. Some were cool, but ones like Metagross, Gardevoir with a bigger dress and a second chest spike, Manectric, Latios & Latias (I literally can't tell them apart by just their images alone), and Kangaskhan were kind of ugly and don't really fit a "this is it being fully "evolved"." G-Max is basically mega evolutions just with a larger size, if you took the size of these pokemon away that's what they would be, which of course makes most of them just as terrible. I get fat Pikachu and long Meowth are jokes based on the past and a meme, but that doesn't mean it's great. With that said I think there are more inventive designs with G-Max compared to mega evolutions and actually fits the "it goes to the next level/evolution" far better. Doesn't mean all of them are amazing homeruns, but there are less "failures" in my eyes. Personally the "failures" are Pikachu, Eevee, Meowth, Centiskorch, and Grimmsnarl (I just don't like Grimmsnarl in general.)

Z-moves were just plain stupid.

I personally like regional versions a lot more, it can give nice and new takes on past pokemon, although their focus on Gen 1 mostly for this and other gimmicks is old and boring and by giving them an evolution in the region it sort of acts like mega evolution, in a way.

We really could use another Gen 4 game with lots of new mons, but plenty of new pre and post evolutions for certain pokemon (Dunsparce evolution when?), like Eevee. Gen 8 adding evolutions with regionals is a nice way to do it, but it would be nice to not have an evolution gimmick that we won't see again.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2019-11-28 at 08:20 AM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Having played every single generation of pokémon, since my pokémon Pikachu... This game is the first one to return me to the feeling of child-like wonder.
    4th generation was where my excitement peaked.

I like that they narrowed down the 'dex, but I can simply not imagine that they wont be bringing pokémon packages as addons.

I was 5 when I played the first game. Having grown with it, it can be hard to detach yourself and remember ' this is a game for children'
    The competitive scene with maxed EV's and IV's has just been made quicker and easier to ensure they can get pushed to where they want to be.

I will be playing this for a long time. Grinding shinies, and gradually building up a battle tower team.

Edit: And the thinning has 'barely' come at a cost of flagship pokémon. Only one I can think of direly missing is Allakhazam.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    I like that they narrowed down the 'dex, but I can simply not imagine that they wont be bringing pokémon packages as addons.
    No. Game Freak never does content updates. Inco plete dex is all we will ever get.
    Edit: And the thinning has 'barely' come at a cost of flagship pokémon. Only one I can think of direly missing is Allakhazam.
    Every starter. Every legendary. Nidos. Slowpoke line. Magnemite line. Starmie. Dragonite. Forretress. Gligar and Gliscor. Scizor. Porygon an 2. Chansey and Blissey. Amoonguss. Volcarona. Metagross. Salamence. Garchomp.

Every mega Pokémon ever.

And that was just Pokémon with major competitive relevance. Hundreds of iconic though less powerful Pokémon have been deleted.

I'm of a personal opinion that replacing old is a healthy thing, and in this case, I am thoroughly happy that not only did they boot the megas, they also now allow the older mons to 'retire' to a degree.

The nostalgia-factor will make the game unwieldy to newcomers.
    Sort of like how Age of Sigmar replaced Warhammer Fantasy.( which both reignited the franchise, and boosted sales massively)

I'm of a personal opinion that replacing old is a healthy thing, and in this case, I am thoroughly happy that not only did they boot the megas, they also now allow the older mons to 'retire' to a degree.

Sort of like how Age of Sigmar replaced Warhammer Fantasy.( which both reignited the franchise, and boosted sales massively)
    That argument falls flat tvmhe moment you realuze they didn't delete every old Pokémon, "only" half of them

10+ Year Old Account

The thing is that you can have both. I can't even remember the last time you could transfer Pokemon from the old gen to the new one immediately. I think you either needed the National Dex which is a postgame thing or in X/Y and Sun/Moon's case you needed to wait for Pokebank support which came like 4-6 months later.

Point being the dex has always been narrowed down in terms of what you could catch in the games and in the last few generations you had like 6 months with the regional Pokemon before people could start bringing their old Pokemon into the games. No reason that shouldn't happen this time around.

what do you guys think will be the next pokemon game?

over the next couple years its likely we will get

gen 4 remakes
    gen 2 reremakes
    ultra s/s
    gen 9

one thing i noticed that people have mentioned on the pokemon reddit. lately weve gotten a lot less spin offs then every other generation.

we havent had a ranger game since gen 4, no mystery dungeon in forever, other than mobile i cant even remember the last spin off game we got
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    what do you guys think will be the next pokemon game?

over the next couple years its likely we will get

gen 4 remakes
    gen 2 reremakes
    ultra s/s
    gen 9

one thing i noticed that people have mentioned on the pokemon reddit. lately weve gotten a lot less spin offs then every other generation.

we havent had a ranger game since gen 4, no mystery dungeon in forever, other than mobile i cant even remember the last spin off game we got
    Something like that, yes. If they even bother with gen 2 remakes again that is.

Regarding spin-offs; well there was a mystery dungeon back in XY gen. Quite a fun game... but it didn't necessarily bring much new to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    The thing is that you can have both. I can't even remember the last time you could transfer Pokemon from the old gen to the new one immediately.
    in GSC you needed the 4th badge to trade from RBY iirc
    if that counts

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Something like that, yes. If they even bother with gen 2 remakes again that is.

Regarding spin-offs; well there was a mystery dungeon back in XY gen. Quite a fun game... but it didn't necessarily bring much new to the table.
    i think they will, although im worried with how gamefreak is now they might cut kanto, give some excuse that "they wanted to focus more on johto for the remake" or some crap

whatever we get probably wont be anywhere near as good as hgss and probably be bare bones unless they suddenly improve
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552