Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How do you feel about foreign worker not learning the language of the country?

We speak English at work with each other and I don't know the local language(Taiwan), do you think it's rude of me to be speaking English and not learning the language even though I'm not planning to live here longer than the time I am working?

What others think or feel of your choice or use of language is of absolutely no consequence or significance.

Well, it depends on what you need to do. It's not rude to be speaking English if the people you're there to do stuff with also speak English.

They should go back to where they came from.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-11-29 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Infracted for trolling

Depends on what line of work they do and how long they stay.
    Traveling workers, seasonal workers or workers who use english (or whatever language in their work) it doesn't really matter to me, it only matters if they plan to move their entire life here and work/interact with Norwegian speaking people.
    For example if you're a doctor or teacher you have to learn the local language very well. If you work in shipping (offshore), flight (pilot, air traffic control etc) and maybe internationa business administration then it doesn't matter.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

They better go learn the language then, plenty of night classes and such. I have no interest working with someone that struggles to understand, more so in a dangerous environment.

Practically every native dane speaks English in Denmark so it's socially acceptable to not learn Danish (known as one of the hardest languages in the world to learn, with a relatively low user base at around 6.5 million) as long as you can speak English proficiently. That said, Danes also assume they can get by anywhere only by knowing English, so few bother learning any Spanish, Mandarin etc when going abroad.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Don't really care if they're just here to work and not live here permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Practically every native dane speaks English in Denmark so it's socially acceptable to not learn Danish (known as one of the hardest languages in the world to learn, with a relatively low user base at around 6.5 million) as long as you can speak English proficiently. That said, Danes also assume they can get by anywhere only by knowing English, so few bother learning any Spanish, Mandarin etc when going abroad.
    Lol, what? All I can find is that it seems to be relatively easy for native speakers of English to learn.

hose which are classified “Category I” generally take from 24 to 30 weeks (600 to 750 class hours) to learn. Category IV languages, aka the “super-hard languages” take closer to 88 weeks (2200 class hours). By this ranking, Danish, Italian or Spanish could be the best language to learn for English speakers.
    Category I languages: 24 to 30 weeks (600 to 750 class hours)

Danish (24 weeks)
    French (30 weeks)
    Italian (24 weeks)
    Portuguese (24 weeks)
    Spanish (24 weeks)
    Swedish (24 weeks)
    VS

Category IV languages: 88 weeks (2200 class hours)

Arabic
    Cantonese (Chinese)
    Mandarin (Chinese)
    Japanese
    Korean
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-11-28 at 11:21 AM.

Known to danes only. It's something that danes who don't know a single thing about other languages like to say about their own language. This isn't unique to danes/danish either, so I don't blame you for parroting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yin Suli View Post

We speak English at work with each other and I don't know the local language(Taiwan), do you think it's rude of me to be speaking English and not learning the language even though I'm not planning to live here longer than the time I am working?
    If you speak English at work, then it is okay to speak English at work.

I do consider it rude if you do not take your own time to learn the language of the country you live in - especially if one sought asylum.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post

I do consider it rude if you do not take your own time to learn the language of the country you live in - especially if one sought asylum.
    Why? They're expected to go back home once the situation they fled from has ceased to exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Danish is mostly hard for non-English speaking people. A lot of the English language actually has words that has evolved from the original Danish language, and the Danes are welcoming enough to take in English terms for the Danish language.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Why? They're expected to go back home once the situation they fled from has ceased to exist.
    They are 'expected' but this is where the line stops. They aren't demanded, nor limited. If you plan to stay in a country more than 3 years, you should learn the language and integrate.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Danish isn't hard. None of the Germanic languages is. English is the hardest of them due to not being a phonetic language.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    They are 'expected' but this is where the line stops. They aren't demanded, nor limited. If you plan to stay in a country more than 3 years, you should learn the language and integrate.
    Sorry, what? If we tell people to leave the country here, they have no choice but to leave. They can either leave voluntarily or be forcefully detained and then deported.

I can tell you with certainty, that without knowing the local language you are very very limited in your choice of jobs.
    They hurt themselves if they don't know the language.

In some countries that is non-issue since they get enough money without working. But in most countries, without the local language, you will end up far far below your potential .
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the work they are hired for. If they are going to work on something at my home? They better be able to communicate well.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Sorry, what? If we tell people to leave the country here, they have no choice but to leave. They can either leave voluntarily or be forcefully detained and then deported.
    You see, EU is made like this, that there has to be a really good reason for kicking them out - like lack of integration. Else, we can't tell them to leave. We can offer them help to leave.

Why does anyone care if they are working meaning being productive members of society? people are focusing on the wrong thing they bash immigrants for not working then are outraged for them not speaking their language. The fact is people learn languages at different speed and often first generation doesn't learn but understands the language. Again them working should be the focus here not whether or not they speak the language them having a job and supporting their family is what matters not your inconvenience.

If it interferes with their job its probably a bad thing, it will lead towards discrimination against them and could lead to unfounded assumptions of others from the place the immigrated from. If it doesn't interfere with their work than who cares.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

You mixed up the question.

Speaking and learning to speak are different things.

Not speaking = no big deal
    Refusing to learn = gtfo

Easy