10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    So she is too stupid to use all the ridiculous advantages she has.

Doesn't have to train and can perform on the level of Sidious and Yoda with telekinesis. Learns mind control because reasons. Automatically knows how to fly the Falcon and lectures Han on how to repair it. And so on and so on.

A dumb Mary Sue is still a Mary Sue, just dumb. Now if she had actual things she was unable to do and had to struggle to overcome those EXTERNAL challenges, then maybe she could be a good character.
    She's way stronger than either Yoda or Palpatine. This is canonically stated. And she's only demonstrated brute force, no subtlety or control.

The reason she learned mind control is admittedly weak, but it still exists. And it's certainly not the first weak hand-wave Star Wars has engaged in.

She knows the Falcon because she's been working on it for years and doing simulator training to pilot it. Again, stated in the films.

Worse, you're ignoring a little thing called "the Force". Which gives Force-sensitives superhuman instincts, that let them instinctively do things that regular humans can't, even with technological assistance. Did you have the same issue with Luke turning off his targeting program and hitting the tiny bullseye of the exhaust port, in ANH? That's the problem with Star Wars. "Because reasons" generally boils down to "because the Force". And it's always been this way. Have we forgotten the Force literally fathered Anakin, directly, "because reasons"? Rey's stupidly strong in the Force. So yeah; she's going to be able to do things nobody else could. That's how this stuff works in this setting. It always has been.

Plus, having character flaws like "she's too stupid" means she's not a Mary Sue. Pretty much by definition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    She also struggles with external changes like trying to get luke to help trying to turn kylo and trying to stand up to snoke, all things she fails at.
    Probably the most obvious counter to the "Rey never fails!" mantra is pointing out that in their first confrontation, Kylo kicked her ass, knocked her out, and took her prisoner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Heck, I'm watching Clone Wars now (since Disney+ lets me binge), and people rave about that show. I'm partway into Season 2, and there's been a few "okay" episodes, and more that was complete garbage. Battle droids aren't a threat; they're comic relief, moreso than C-3PO was, and he was a sidekick, not the main enemy. Jar Jar Binks is present, ever, at all. There was an entire episode that was just Padme and Jar Jar. Argh.

I've heard it gets better around Season 3, but it hasn't, yet. I'd easily put TLJ ahead of what I've seen of the Clone Wars show so far. People overlook the bad stuff we've had before, and act like the new films should only ever top the best of past films and shows, or they're garbage that are an insult to what came before. And that's nonsense.
    Oh man...someone should have told you that series has a lot of filler to wade through. I would never do a full re-watch. Same goes for Rebels, cool story arcs in-between a lot of filler.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Probably the most obvious counter to the "Rey never fails!" mantra is pointing out that in their first confrontation, Kylo kicked her ass, knocked her out, and took her prisoner.
    Ya but the people who think Rey is the only Mary Sue ever and never fails will just come back with nonsense about how she beat a emotionally broken bleeding to death kylo. It’s happened before.

Though they will also say things like getting luke to help out was impossibly so it doesn’t count as a failure even though yoda does it right after she leaves. Really trying to talk sense is futile but I can’t help my self.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Oh man...someone should have told you that series has a lot of filler to wade through. I would never do a full re-watch. Same goes for Rebels, cool story arcs in-between a lot of filler.
    I mostly run it in the background while I'm working. I know there's some canon stuff in there that I've missed out on, so I want to wade through it the once, at least.

I'm just using it as an example that there was plenty of crappy stuff in Star Wars, before the new films. Even in content that's largely lauded.

obviously the Mandalorian has never played a star wars video game with a hoth level (lol every star wars game ever..)

get behind the at-st
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    I go to the Mandalorian thread on mmo-champ and I see 2 pages full with TFA/TLJ talk. There is a thread for those movies, and it ain't this one.

I liked this new episode. Was even longer than expected. The begining was to damn cute but I feel overall this is my least favorite episode when it comes to the story. But it got some great moments. I really, really liked the way they used the AT-ST. Felt like a monster how it was shot and everything. Also Gina Carano is gorgeous and a badass, but she can't act for shit.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This was the first episode that shifted into the background mode for me. I've seen enough Xena/Hercules episodes (well, I've seen them all) to not be impressed by the "villagers in distress" scenario and I knew the premise of the entire episode from the very first scenes.

I also didn't like the way they presented AT-ST, like it's a droid, with behavior and sounds, like there are no people controlling it inside. And if they tried to make it a comic relief moment - that was not the right context for it.

At least it got some character development and we got to meet a new character.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I'm never going to understand the "he's wearing a helmet but I'll repeatedly punch him in the head anyway" trope.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I also didn't like the way they presented AT-ST, like it's a droid, with behavior and sounds, like there are no people controlling it inside.
    eh... It would have been the same if the setting was a modern war and they were talking about a tank. Unless the operators are actual characters in the story, everyone else tends to talk about the vehicle as if it has agency.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I'm never going to understand the "he's wearing a helmet but I'll repeatedly punch him in the head anyway" trope.
    Force is still gonna go though the helm even if it’s diminished and people can still be knocked out with a blow to the head helm or not.

Force is still gonna go though the helm even if it’s diminished and people can still be knocked out with a blow to the head helm or not.
    Yes, the force of your knuckles/wrist shattering on the magic space metal that you're punching.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the force of your knuckles/wrist shattering on the magic space metal that you're punching.
    The stronger a material's resistance, and the less it buckles on impact, the less it protects you from blunt force impacts. This is why bike helmets and modern cars are designed with crumple zones and aren't good for more than one impact; that crumple absorbs energy, which doesn't translate to what they're protecting inside. The same is not true of, say, football helmets, which is why we've had to come to realize they do fuck-all to protect the brain from being smacked around inside the skull, causing brain damage over repeated trauma.

For the Mando, it's still super critical because that metal will block blaster shots to the face. And that's a good thing. But the only real contribution it's providing to protect from a punch is that it spreads the impact out from wherever the fist would have connected, to the entire front of the helmet smashing into your face. Which helps. A bit. Not a lot, though. Definitely still going to make your head rock back and cause you some problems.

7+ Year Old Account
    To be fair fancy magic space metal isn’t all that common they could think it’s like a fancy stork trooper helm and those things aren’t to sturdy.

Still enjoyable but the weakest episode so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    eh... It would have been the same if the setting was a modern war and they were talking about a tank. Unless the operators are actual characters in the story, everyone else tends to talk about the vehicle as if it has agency.
    I was not talking about them referring to it, I was talking about the damn thing behaving like it has its own agency. How it got surprised with the sound of a surprised droid, for instance. How quite visibly became pissed off then they shot one of its "eyes" out. The entire sequence of that fight was made to present it as an entity of its own.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    I was not talking about them referring to it, I was talking about the damn thing behaving like it has its own agency. How it got surprised with the sound of a surprised droid, for instance. How quite visibly became pissed off then they shot one of its "eyes" out. The entire sequence of that fight was made to present it as an entity of its own.
    Couldn’t it just be droid controlled?

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn’t it just be droid controlled?
    No, it behaved as a droid itself, not as if it were controlled by a droid. But it's not a droid. It has no capacity to mimic emotions. So someone must have done a lot of work to make it like that. But those were stupid raiders. It just doesn't compute.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, it behaved as a droid itself, not as if it were controlled by a droid. But it's not a droid. It has no capacity to mimic emotions. So someone must have done a lot of work to make it like that. But those were stupid raiders. It just doesn't compute.
    Not gonna pretend I know the ins and outs of droid control but if one was inbuilt wouldn’t it control it that way? Like it r2 could never leave the xwing but could still control it wouldn’t it act as if the xwing was its droid body?

I prefer the little ones new name.

Little womp rat turns off switch.

Mando - Don't do that.

Little womp rat looking at Mando while reaching for switch below previous one...click

This was just an awful episode. The "simple villagers saved by the main character" thing has been done in every fantasy/sci-fi tv show ever and absolutely nothing new was brought to it. Oh the Mando is a good guy because he didn't choose to shack up with the hot villager woman he knew for 3 weeks, character development! I couldn't believe that Favreau had the writing credit for this garbage, he's usually much better than this.

Worst episode so far!