Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Do you use another name when introducing yourself to people outside your country?

Is this something you do?

No, my name isn't complicated enough for foreigners to pronounce for me to consider it.

7+ Year Old Account
    My first thought was "what a bizarre concept" then I laughed at myself as I remembered doing that at parties/bars/etc when I was a kid.

Eh I guess so. Instead of using Tommy, when I speak in Spanish I'll use the Spanish pronunciation of Thomas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many foreign language classes like to hang a name in that language on a person, but it isn't something that has happened to me.

There have been situations here where people had to find something Chinese to call me, for their own comfort, but I never introduce myself that way and none of the attempts to give me "a Chinese name" have made it past the quasi-adoptive daughters.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

5+ Year Old Account
    Nope, my name is Morena at all times.

I have a Chinese name that I use when I interact with people who are fluent only in Mandarin.

In my experience it is common for people in east asia to use “english names” when talking to people from the west because we have difficulty pronouncing their names/words

Nope, I just use my name.

10+ Year Old Account
    I give fake names when ordering food because I get tired of people who can't pronounce "Sean" when I write it or spell it wrong when I say it. So I call myself Bill, or Jim, or John, depending on my mood.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yin Suli View Post
    Is this something you do?
    No..

The opposite however

People in Denmark tend to assume that if you are Danish and there is a Danish pronounciation of your name then that is your name

So i allow people to change my name when speking with people inside my country since it is too much effort to do it any other way

Well i allow people to pronounce a k that is not in the name anyhow

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do not, however my dad tends to go by Chris when outside of the Nordics. Since Christer is hard for barbaric English mouths to pronounce for some reason.
    - Lars

Yes, my name is Hiền, to foreigners I say I am Katie. xD

I don't bother to correct them when they mispronounce Nguyễn because they never learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    My name is fairly hard to pronounce for foreigners.. But no, fuck 'em. There are sounds in my name that you won't find outside of the Nordic countries (At least not in any popular language), so I generally allow for some butchering of the pronunciation, but I refuse to go by my middle name, because I honestly find it funny when people try to pronounce my first name and fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post

I don't bother to correct them when they mispronounce Nguyễn because they never learn.
    Nuh-guu-yen

5+ Year Old Account
    No, but I do play a game where I go by the last mangled version of my name whenever I order food. It's like playing telephone at this point.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post

My dad had a similar loosing battle with his Welsh name everywhere.

If it's got any sound that's not naturally made in some else's language you have next to no chance of some one who dosnt speak it getting your name right :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    My dad had a similar loosing battle with his Welsh name everywhere.

If it's got any sound that's not naturally made in some else's language you have next to no chance of some one who dosnt speak it getting your name right :/
    That's the problem I have as well.. People don't like new phonemes

10+ Year Old Account
    @Katie N Thanks. Yes, I would have mispronounced it, even among Vietnamese in the US I'm used to hearing the old war era NOO-yen. I looked it up and find:

https://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Nguyen

I'd probably still mangle it a bit, but could probably manage close to that.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That's the problem I have as well.. People don't like new phonemes
    I don't think it's that they don't like it, more there toungs just don't know how to make that sound and sometimes they just don't even know what's silent and what isn't and how two letters change each other. Or how special chars sound.