Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I'm a little hazy on TFA, What huge dose of reality did Rey get hit with?
    Luke tried to fight Vader before he was ready and lost the fight and his hand for his hubris.

Rey helps kill Snoke and his guards and then beats Kaylo.
    TLJ? Her parents aren't special. Luke isn't what he had in her mind. Some people are just really bad people like Kylo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Idk why Death Star 3.0 was too much for you guys but Return of the Palpatine isn't.

I've never been uninterested in a main Star Wars movie up until the first trailer for this smoking hot dumpster fire. I was even excited for TLJ, until I heard of some spoilers. Still counting that though.

I really can't wait for Disney to burry the Skywalker name and fucking move on already. The whole sequel trilogy has been milking the nostalgia teat too hard.
    Especially since Death Star 3.0 (Starkiller Base) has been in development since just after Episode 3, apparently (if Jedi Fallen Order is cannon, which I believe it is).

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    -snip-
    Yeah, I dont think we're going to get her falling to the DS in this trilogy. While Id like to see more of a grey path as well but I honestly hope with this new trilogy, the Skywalker story is done and over and we can explore TOR. However, I really dont care to see these characters in another trilogy. First Order is done. Rey ushers in a new era of force users and thats it. Unless we can get a Thrawn trilogy as well. Then we can have Poe and i guess Finn and at the same time we can learn that Rey is teaching others about light/dark etc. More space bettles, less Rey.

Now if we're talking a Revan trilogy... We could have good to bad to grey/crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    TLJ? Her parents aren't special. Luke isn't what he had in her mind. Some people are just really bad people like Kylo.
    That's your huge dose of reality?

Comparable to Luke failing to save his friends and getting beat up, Rey learns some people are bad and that not everyone likes her, but then proceeds to save the rebellion and kill Snoke...

Some hero's journey that is, such setbacks. Not everyone loves her from the moment they first meet.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    That's your huge dose of reality?

Comparable to Luke failing to save his friends and getting beat up, Rey learns some people are bad and that not everyone likes her, but then proceeds to save the rebellion and kill Snoke...

Some hero's journey that is, such setbacks. Not everyone loves her from the moment they first meet.
    The Resistance was saved? What movie did you watch?

This. Poe was a more effective weapon against the Resistance than anyone in the First Order could hope of being.

Did you miss the bit where Rey removes to rocks so that (what is left) of the Resistance can escape the base while Luke/Kaylo fight outside?

That is Rebellion is mostly gone by then has nothing to do with the point, your point was that Rey got a heavy dose of reality after running away from her training ala Luke losing to Vader in Cloud City.
    She doesn't fail from lacking training, she helps kill Snoke with Kaylo, beats Kaylo and saves what is left of the Rebellion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you miss the bit where Rey removes to rocks so that (what is left) of the Resistance can escape the base while Luke/Kaylo fight outside?

That is Rebellion is mostly gone by then has nothing to do with the point, your point was that Rey got a heavy dose of reality after running away from her training ala Luke losing to Vader in Cloud City.
    She doesn't fail from lacking training, she helps kill Snoke with Kaylo, beats Kaylo and saves what is left of the Rebellion.
    Everyone in the Resistance died apart from 10 or so people. Kylo used her to help kill Snoke and now an unchecked evil until they can find some more people to fight the FO.

Yeah, Rey did great in TLJ...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Everyone in the Resistance died apart from 10 or so people. Kylo used her to help kill Snoke and now an unchecked evil until they can find some more people to fight the FO.

Yeah it looks like more than 99.9% of the resistance was killed. Go... team?

considering your still ignoring the point and keep talking about something else I'll just take it that you agree that your earlier statement was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by santwant View Post
    To state the obvious it is dogshit that would be dismissed as poor quality even if it were fanfiction. Lucas can't write. Get over it.
    Do you have a link for this? I want to read more.

10+ Year Old Account
    The bit in bold makes me seriously question if you even watched the film.

She is completely, utterly helpless. Snoke has her trussed up in the Force and is egging Kylo on to kill her. Not because he needs Kylo to do it; he's clearly demonstrated he does not. Because he wants to see Kylo fall further to the Dark Side.

Rey does nothing to help Kylo kill Snoke. It's like arguing that the person a villain is holding as a human shield "helped kill the villain" when they stand there doing nothing and the hero shoots the bad guy in the eye with an ace shot.

Nor does she "beat Kylo" after that. He asks her to join him, they struggle over a lightsaber with the Force, it splits in two and explodes, knocking them both out. Kylo wakes up and she's gone; she ran away.

What you're describing is not what happened in the film, objectively speaking.

Okay, again. For people complaining that Rey is a Mary Sue

This is Jaina Solo, the sister of the EU equivalent of Kylo Ren, Jacen.

In addition of being the founder of an Imperial dynasty, she is specifically note as a pilot better then her dad and her grandad, have the trickery of her father doubled with the Force, is a genius with mechanics.

(As you can see, Jaina, the only Jedi except Ayla Secura to wear clothing not boiling down to robes that would have been conservative for 16th century nuns, have also other qualities)

And Jacen ? Well, he is tortured by space sadomasochists (clearly a winning concept there…) with tentacle machines, and amongst other niceties, he try to but his cousin on the torture machine, he try to kill his parents, he is even more openly Fascist than grandpa, he kills his aunt (no surprise, was written by Karen Traviss) : his parents and his uncle want him dead without a fuss (while they are sort of adoptive parents for his female and very troubled apprentice). He lose all his lightsaber fights against Jedis, his own daughter hate him too and his trait at Jedi school was I like animals

Some would say that as the life lottery go, Jacen got a very bad ticket.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2019-12-02 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Okay, again. For people complaining that Rey is a Mary Sue

This is Jaina Solo, the sister of the EU equivalent of Kylo Ren, Jacen.
    Whats your point? Mary Sue from "A Trekkie's Tale" was also a Mary Sue. We all know that EU was full of hits and misses....

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    I'd hardly take the videogame series as a basis to judge anything. Starkiller was made ridiculously OP for the sake of game spectacle.
    Game spectacle versus movie spectacle.
    Hell...at least Galen Marek is written better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    Luke didn't start out as someone who wanted his dad back, nor did he want to be a Jedi. He was put in a situation beyond his control by two droids who happened to get sold to his uncle. COINCIDENCE sure.. but a story has to start somewhere. Then he met people and changed accordingly. Did Rey? Her story started almost the same but she hasn't changed a bit.
    Luke was looking at the dead bodies of his uncle and aunt when he told Ben Kenobi he wanted to be a Jedi.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    And Rose is Jar Jar Binks
    *blinks* Damn...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    ....and then when Kylo extends his hand for her to rule the galaxy with him....she says no, implying she's a good person. That, to me, was the biggest flaw of TLJ. I thought the logical extension of the movie would be for Rey to fall in some way, and become the new villain. I still kind of hope for it in the new movie. Because nothing between her helping BB8 and her refusing Kylo at the end of TLJ really shows she's a good person.
    Too little too late.
    It would have made sense had she gone dark first. The way we're first exposed to her..her way of life should have embittered her. (When the offer of months' of food supplies for BB-8 was made, it would have been simply logical that the droid would have been given up. And then having it written so the droid would have been put back in her company)
    Really...she should have been written with traits similar to Han Solo at least.

Now if Kylo wasn't just some whiny emo bitch...

Rose is not the Jar-Jar Binks of the sequels. Sadly, they cast Finn into that role and ruined his character. His backstory alone makes him worthy to not be forced into the C-3PO / Jar-Jar Binks comic relief role. Another unfortunate misstep in the writing.

Well, Poe went from hot ace pilot, to punchline...

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Poe is only a hot shot pilot because they Told us that instead of you know.... Showing it
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wewlad View Post
    I mean it's reeks of desperation with Palpy coming back, the nostalgia-baiting after the whole "subvert expectations" and "kill the past" shit TLJ pulled. These people are intentionally acting ignorant or simply delusional.
    We've known since the beginning it will be nostalgia based...very first scenes we see Rey with the Skywalker lightsaber rebuilt and the pistol Han gave her. The people behind the Disney trilogy have been all about kill the Legacy characters but use anything you can to tug at the nostalgia strings that doesn't involve them.

Now that everyone is dead except the Droids....they're in desperate need to bring people back because their "kill the past" approach isn't working well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Poe is only a hot shot pilot because they Told us that instead of you know.... Showing it
    To be fair, we saw what Poe could do in "The Force Awakens."

Then he was written as a bumbling fool that single handledly killed almost all the rebels in TLJ.