Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I also don't seek friendships with people who don't speak English or aren't from English speaking countries in general.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    i call myself the one man draenei death squad. it puts fear in the hearts of draenei everywhere.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    The written english version of my name is the same as my german name, but the pronunciation in english is different. When talking to people in english, i use the english version.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because thankfully I wasn't given a Thai name with 15 letters, of which 90% are consonants.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

My grandfather moved to the US from Croatia when he was a teenager. He changed his name from "Ivo" to "John". Ivo is basically translated to John, but in order to fit in he decided to use the american version. I noticed my first name "Brett" is hard to pronounce for a lot of Europeans with an accent. They have to basically use all the muscles in their face to say it.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-12-01 at 09:32 PM.

I guess, seeing as my K-4 years at school I had to use "Tony" instead of "Anthony" if I wanted any credit on my schoolwork.

Nope.

I'm Josefin at all times. And I'll pronounce it as it is in northern Sweden in order to make it clear that it ain't Josephine.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm pretty stubborn about my name and how its pronounced; well from English speakers. From say Spanish speakers I don't care if they say it off or give me another yet still close sounding name and they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

No, I cannot say that I do. If they are from this country or not.. I mean.. that makes very little impact in choices I make when it comes to doing something odd like lying about my name.

If they are having trouble saying it than maybe I will say "but you can call me..." and it is easy for them than it is. But I do not outright bullshit them on the introduction. I get it, sometimes names don't roll out to well for people that speak vastly different languages. That is cool. But I don't make that assumption immediately.

Not really. My name transcribes to Japanese pretty well, except that I pronounce the "-lor" in my last name rhotically as /lɚ/ and it becomes ラー, or -raa. Doesn't bug me enough to worry about though.

My name gets absolutely mangled when transcribed into Mandarin, but I haven't really begun much into the language besides feeling out the structure and sounds.

If we're speaking English though, my name is what it is. The only consonant cluster is /st/, and if you have /ɔ/,/ɪ/,/eɪ/,/ɚ/,/t/,/l/,/n/,/s/ down, you shouldn't struggle to pronounce my name.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, of course not.

As a side note, my name has double t, which is practically impossible for all foreigners to pronounce.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

My name has a fairly easy English pronunciation, but since my parents went with the Dutch spelling and I live in Denmark, anyone reading it off a list will undoubtedly mispronounce until they're corrected.

I sometimes add a letter to it just to ease the pronunciation further if I order coffee and they ask for a name, but otherwise I give my real name.

I've heard that it's common for Asian exchange students to take on a western name of their own choosing during their stay though.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    As a side note, my name has double t, which is practically impossible for all foreigners to pronounce.
    Is a geminate stop in Finnish just held longer before its released? That wouldn't be too bad, I'd be more confused about geminate sonorants and fricatives.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    Is a geminate stop in Finnish just held longer before its released? That wouldn't be too bad, I'd be more confused about geminate sonorants and fricatives.
    Geminate stop, geminate sonorants and fricatives are all terms I have never heard before.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Geminate stop, geminate sonorants and fricatives are all terms I have never heard before.
    Geminates are just double sounds, but here we're talking about consonants like "tt."
    Stops are sounds that block all airflow, so think (p,b,t,d,k,g).
    Sonorants are all sounds that don't include stops, affricates, and fricatives. So they'd be vowels, semivowels/approximants (y,w,l), liquids (r,l), and nasals (n,m,ng).
    Fricatives are sounds like (f,s,sh).

In other words, doing something like "tt" or "pp" isn't too hard for me, but I'd be lost if you asked me to do "ss" or "ll."

7+ Year Old Account
    I do that in my own country, if she's batshit. :P

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Katie N Thanks. Yes, I would have mispronounced it, even among Vietnamese in the US I'm used to hearing the old war era NOO-yen. I looked it up and find:

https://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Nguyen

I'd probably still mangle it a bit, but could probably manage close to that.
    I've never understood the point of English name translators using unnecessary characters. If it's pronounced "Nwen", spell it that way. If "Shinsuke" is pronounced "Shinskay", there shouldn't be a fucking "u" in it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Americans struggle with my norse name. Its hilarious to hear them try

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post

I've never understood the point of English name translators using unnecessary characters. If it's pronounced "Nwen", spell it that way. If "Shinsuke" is pronounced "Shinskay", there shouldn't be a fucking "u" in it.
    Why would you change the spelling of a name? We use the latin script too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    I do that in my own country, if she's batshit. :P

It just follows the spelling or transliteration rules already in place. Nguyen doesn't have an /n/ sound at the front, it's a /ŋ/ sound, like the ng in sing.

For Japanese, Shinsuke is しんすけ. e always has the same value in Japanese, unlike English which can have like 4 vowel sounds attached to e. In addition, the su in Shinsuke is technically there, it's just de-voiced in usual speech because it comes before a devoiced stop. But if someone said it slowly, you'd hear the vowel voiced. It'd be "shi-n-su-ke," because it's not syllable based, it's moraic and the timing of morae matters.

If you're going to complain about that, you might as well complain about Sean not being spelled Shawn, or Phoebe not being spelled Feebee. English is the last place to be complaining about spelling.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    It just follows the spelling or transliteration rules already in place. Nguyen doesn't have an /n/ sound at the front, it's a /ŋ/ sound, like the ng in sing.

For Japanese, Shinsuke is しんすけ. e always has the same value in Japanese, unlike English which can have like 4 vowel sounds attached to e. In addition, the su in Shinsuke is technically there, it's just de-voiced in usual speech because it comes before a devoiced stop. But if someone said it slowly, you'd hear the vowel voiced. It'd be "shi-n-su-ke," because it's not syllable based, it's moraic and the timing of morae matters.
    Fair enough.

If you're going to complain about that, you might as well complain about Sean not being spelled Shawn, or Phoebe not being spelled Feebee. English is the last place to be complaining about spelling.
    I wasn't complaining about how it's pronounced or written in its native language. I was merely pointing out that it's irrational to include unused characters when converting it to English. How absurd some of the English spellings for things can be is not relevant.