Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    She did great, IN HER ROLE. She is not wolverine. And this is assuming they reboot the character too.
    Well yes, but her role in the comics for a few years was that of Wolverine, and it was a great comic run.

I don't like said person because their skin color mandates that they could walk in here and rob and shoot people.

How many times is it stated in the movies and comics that people are afraid of what they don't understand or what is different?
    I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that people are afraid of what's different, merely that the situation is more than a little different. Being afraid of teenaged white boys because they statistically shoot up schools more often is a little different than being scared that randomly people might suddenly start sweating corrosive acid or uncontrollably shooting lasers from their eyes the second puberty hits.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Well yes, but her role in the comics for a few years was that of Wolverine, and it was a great comic run.

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that people are afraid of what's different, merely that the situation is more than a little different. Being afraid of teenaged white boys because they statistically shoot up schools more often is a little different than being scared that randomly people might suddenly start sweating corrosive acid or uncontrollably shooting lasers from their eyes the second puberty hits.
    But at its core it is the exact same.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

But at its core it is the exact same.
    I don't think it is though. At it's heart racism is the fear of what somebody of another race might do. It's irrational and predicated on somebody not understanding the dynamics of another group/culture/ethnicity.

While you can draw parallels between racism and anti-mutant sentiment in the comics, there are some key differences. Such as:

1) The fear translates to the very existence of mutants, as they can represent danger even if they don't intend to do anything malicious
    2) The fear can also be based on the fact that many mutants are indistinguishable from humans
    3) That same fear can extend to one's own family members. People may be terrified that their own kids will be mutants

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    That went out the window after The Thanos Incident, they became global heroes once more.
    I'm bringing it up because it could be a reason for the government to fall for the media's bullshit.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it is though. At it's heart racism is the fear of what somebody of another race might do. It's irrational and predicated on somebody not understanding the dynamics of another group/culture/ethnicity.

While you can draw parallels between racism and anti-mutant sentiment in the comics, there are some key differences. Such as:

1) The fear translates to the very existence of mutants, as they can represent danger even if they don't intend to do anything malicious
    2) The fear can also be based on the fact that many mutants are indistinguishable from humans
    3) That same fear can extend to one's own family members. People may be terrified that their own kids will be mutants
    I think it is. Everything you explained is the foundation for both. period.
    ― Ronald Regan

I think it is. Everything you explained is the foundation for both. period.
    How? It's not like your typical racist is afraid that somebody with a different skin colour is going to unintentionally spontaneously vomit fire. Nor is he afraid that people with the same skin colour as him is suddenly going to be found to have different skin colour. Nor is he afraid that his kids are going to wake up one day with different skin colour.

Fear of something different is the foundation, absolutely. But the debil is in the details.

5+ Year Old Account
    How? It's not like your typical racist is afraid that somebody with a different skin colour is going to unintentionally spontaneously vomit fire. Nor is he afraid that people with the same skin colour as him is suddenly going to be found to have different skin colour. Nor is he afraid that his kids are going to wake up one day with different skin colour.

Fear of something different is the foundation, absolutely. But the debil is in the details.
    you're arguing semantics at this point.
    ― Ronald Regan

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    That went out the window after The Thanos Incident, they became global heroes once more.
    Humans are fickle as fuck. All it will take is for one mutant to do something and people will rage again.

Or like in real life you have those who rant against the other but then add in "But not you, you're different.". That you could be the Avengers.

Netflix and AoS until stated otherwise are still in universe 19999 (mcu universe) and they've shown super powered people being treated like shit and suspicion through them.

Agents of shield had major arcs that basically had inhumans getting the mutant treatment with anti inhuman protest/terrorist groups (which were obviously based on anti mutant group friends of humanity), government officials trying to push anti inhuman laws much like anti mutant ones.

All it will take in mcu if xmen come is basically just one nutter to get a cult following. Be media savvy and boom you can have your anti mutant groups.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wolverine will be a girl and the others will be some sort of sjw "progressive" trope.
    You must be aware that the xmen were made to be and always have been a “sjw progressive trope” right?

Having x23 be wolverine would also be the best bet if they can’t get Jackman back as he is rather irreplaceable.

you're arguing semantics at this point.
    Not semantics, details. I think there's a difference between:

"I hate them there people because my daddy taught me they wuz criminals and rape and murder good folk."

and

"I'm fucking terrified that the kid next door is going to wake up one day and make my scrotum melt by sneezing."

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    You must be aware that the xmen were made to be and always have been a “sjw progressive trope” right?

Having x23 be wolverine would also be the best bet if they can’t get Jackman back as he is rather irreplaceable.
    - Wonder if making storm a german white young male would fit that. Probably not, hypocrisy and all of that.

- That's what everyone said about Heath as Joker too.

- - - Updated - - -

Not semantics, details. I think there's a difference between:

"I hate them there people because my daddy taught me they wuz criminals and rape and murder good folk."

and

"I'm fucking terrified that the kid next door is going to wake up one day and make my scrotum melt by sneezing."
    Soooo, semantics. Got it.
    ― Ronald Regan

7+ Year Old Account
    - Wonder if making storm a german white young male would fit that. Probably not, hypocrisy and all of that.
    this isn’t a refutation of my point is your problem that they don’t push your version of social justice?

Heath has one movie jackman had 7 spanning over 10 year.

5+ Year Old Account
    this isn’t a refutation of my point is your problem that they don’t push your version of social justice?

Heath has one movie jackman had 7 spanning over 10 year.
    Again, the same exact thing was said about his joker.
    ― Ronald Regan

7+ Year Old Account
    Again, the same exact thing was said about his joker.
    So you don’t see the difference between a single movie and 7 spanning over 10 years?

And you don’t have a problem with the xmen always being about social justice?

Soooo, semantics. Got it.
    How on earth is this semantics? these are different things.

5+ Year Old Account
    So you don’t see the difference between a single movie and 7 spanning over 10 years?

And you don’t have a problem with the xmen always being about social justice?
    The same thing was said. period. no matter how many movies. In time and with a stellar performance, people will accept someone else.
    ― Ronald Regan

And Heath's Joker is still the best...but I will agree that no one is irreplaceable. They are hard shoes to fill though. It makes it so that the next person to play Wolverine has to be great...not just good.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2019-12-01 at 07:52 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    And Heath's Joker is still the best.
    I agree, BUT since then Phoenix has hit it out of the park and is accepted as a great Joker.
    ― Ronald Regan

7+ Year Old Account
    The same thing was said. period. no matter how many movies. In time and with a stellar performance, people will accept someone else.

Sure then if you want to ignore all the reasons they aren’t the same then They are totally the same I guess.

Though Atlest you were able to get over the Xmen always being about social justice and will sing it praise when the next iteration pushes more social justice!

5+ Year Old Account
    How on earth is this semantics? these are different things.
    Two houses built with the same exact foundation but have a different roof and siding is still a house.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure then if you want to ignore all the reasons they aren’t the same then They are totally the same I guess.

Though Atlest you were able to get over the Xmen always being about social justice and will sing it praise when the next iteration pushes more social justice!
    sjw for the sake of story and logic! lol.
    ― Ronald Regan