Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Hard to pick just three, i love food from everywhere. Hmm..

Tex-Mex
    Korean
    Italian

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9
    Cut a thick slice off, spread mild mustard thinly over it, and enjoy. Crazy tender and flavor rich. That is what heaven must taste like.
    You'll note I listed Hunan as a more specific style of Chinese food that I like (things like Northwestern are regional, but don't follow the usual designations). Pink, the woman I nearly married, was a farm girl from Hunan. Her mother sent us whole racks of Hunan style smoked pork so Pink could enjoy home-style food. It was old fashioned cured ham and ribs. I could have beaten an ox to death with one of those hams before it was prepared (heavy, dense, and hard as oak), but darned it was marvelous when she cooked with it. When I got sick, her family had a fit, but she made sure to leave me some treats. I still have a couple of pounds of her favorite, the fat from the ribs, and I use it now and then. It is so fragrant that just a bit can flavor a whole dish.

Could also be a "parallel evolution" thing
    Strangely enough though, it seems it isn't. Food historians trace it back to building the Great Wall. Check it out.

What I do like a lot in that segment are fried noodles with an assortment of veggies and such, but I have no idea what varieties exist or what to call these specifically. Menus usually list them just as "Gebratene Nudeln" ((pan) fried noodles).
    Fried noodles are a thing here too. Think of it a bit like American hamburgers, everyone does their own spin on it, but well ... it's a burger. Sort of like Italy, you may find distinctions made by the shape of the noodle, and that influences how it is treated. Here is one kind:

But here is another:

Noodles. Fried. Both are good.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Everybody has their favourite foods, but from which area of the world are your top-3?

For me, it's easy.

1. India, master of taste. I've also started to cook a lot of vegetarian Indian dishes, since they are the masters of vegetarian food as well. All the spices really blend into one big yummie dish, no matter what it is.

2. Scandinavia. Home... it's safe, you know what it is, but I also think it's heavily underrated, mostly because most dishes are unknown. Kroppkakor (kind of like the german Knödel, but not quite the same), pölsa (kind of like Swedish haggis), plum-filled pork, makaronilåda (kind of like a macaroni casserole, filled with a specific Swedish smoked pork-meat called kassler) and pyttipanna (hash).

3. Poland. There's no question about it. There's no country with more filling and hearty food than Poland. Stews with pork, sausages, mushrooms, sauerkraut and cabbage make for one hell of a "I want to get FULL!"-kind of dish. My absolute favourite dish from Poland is bigos, a mix of pork, mushrooms, sauerkaut and often inside a bowl made out of bread that you can eat as well.
    I would say that last bit is true not only for Poland, but Eastern Europe in general - possibly because this land became urbanised later than the West and people's eating habits are much closer to their rural roots where food served to sustain.

My own countries, with this topping the list.

Followed by Italian, mainly for their pasta dishes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter
    My own countries, with this topping the list.
    >.> I have mixed feelings about that one. We have a large Korean community here, and I have been taken to heavily Korean areas for "good" Korean food by friends -- including Korean students.

That version looks like it could be good, but that isn't what I've gotten here. What I get (even in places supposed to be good) is a so-so black bean sauce slopped on some noodles, leaving me wondering ... "and then"? What the hell, where are the goodies!

While the dish has a long history in Korea (and the US would say the same to explain American pizza), it is a Chinese dish, and one that holds a particular place of pride in Old Beijing cuisine. The Great Firewall obviously thinks that somehow "black bean noodles" is a dodgy search that might have deep and hidden meaning, so Bing has been less than cooperative in coughing up a picture of the Beijing style with a big bowl of noodles and many small bowls of things to dress them with. This is the closest could manage and I'd consider it a "meh" version of the real stuff:

With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    While the dish has a long history in Korea (and the US would say the same to explain American pizza), it is a Chinese dish, and one that holds a particular place of pride in Old Beijing cuisine. The Great Firewall obviously thinks that somehow "black bean noodles" is a dodgy search that might have deep and hidden meaning, so Bing has been less than cooperative in coughing up a picture of the Beijing style with a big bowl of noodles and many small bowls of things to dress them with. This is the closest could manage and I'd consider it a "meh" version of the real stuff:
    Does https://www.daum.net/ and https://www.naver.com/ work in China?

10+ Year Old Account
    @Freighter Sigh. Well, today naver works, I won't bet on 8 hours later, but then 12 hours after that it might -- If I'm searching how to cook acorns. /cry Daum didn't load though.

Edit:
    @Medium9 I missed your post as I was replying. Apologies.

I did a search on bami goreng and it seems pretty much in the same tradition. Here, I might order one of those dishes as all or most of a meal on my own. In a group though, what keeps it from being the whole meal for me is the style of ordering a meal in groups. Instead of each person ordering one thing (a main and sides), one orders maybe a dish or two for each person and a couple of extra dishes (and then everybody grabs some). That means one person doesn't have to plow through the whole plate, and there needs to be enough good stuff for more than one person to get a good share.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2019-12-02 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Oops! Missed a reply!

10+ Year Old Account
    for me my fav dish is easily

also:
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2019-12-02 at 04:29 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Goulash, am I right? In my experience, it can be really really tasty, but also spit-out awful. Depends on how it's made and from what exactly. It has a HUGE range.
    Doesn't look like goulash at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Japanese. xD

15+ Year Old Account
    First one maybe something else, but the second almost definitely is. There are peppers, and an almost dead giveaway are the bay leaves.
    No, not at all.

Did a google image search for those images, the first one is chicken vindaloo, a south Indian dish. The second one is gulai sapi, which is Indonesian.

So much for your goulash.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Freighter Sigh. Well, today naver works, I won't bet on 8 hours later, but then 12 hours after that it might -- If I'm searching how to cook acorns. /cry Daum didn't load though.

Edit:
    @Medium9 I missed your post as I was replying. Apologies.

I did a search on bami goreng and it seems pretty much in the same tradition. Here, I might order one of those dishes as all or most of a meal on my own. In a group though, what keeps it from being the whole meal for me is the style of ordering a meal in groups. Instead of each person ordering one thing (a main and sides), one orders maybe a dish or two for each person and a couple of extra dishes (and then everybody grabs some). That means one person doesn't have to plow through the whole plate, and there needs to be enough good stuff for more than one person to get a good share.
    Bami goreng is generic term for fried (goreng) noodle (mie) with meat (bak). Goreng is a Malay word, mie and bak Hokkienese. The variations of the dish are almost infinite depending on the regions in Malaysia & Indonesia. The Dutch has their own variations. When I was in Australia, I ended up eating Mi Goreng Fried Chicken burger at a restaurant in Sydney. It was ridiculously delicious.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Rasulis About what I thought, although searching in English tended to play up the Dutch connection more.

10+ Year Old Account
    British and Irish, Thai and Spanish

5+ Year Old Account
    Any cuisines that includes sea food. I love sea food.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Medium9 first one is vindaloo second one is gulai.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

1. German
    2. Greek
    3. Korean/ Italian
    in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    1. Mexican, especially the authentic Mexican you can find in Los Angeles, and even in Orange County if you go to Santa Ana.

2. American

3. Italian is good
    We seem to be walking lock step on food related issues. First hot sauce, now this. Though I'd rank them thusly:

1. American (both the midwest steak/potatoes and southern chicken/biscuit)
    2. Mexican
    3. Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

A proper goulash is deep red from paprika. It also contains vegetables (at least potatoes and carrots, often parsley) and is not wall-to-wall beef.

Source: I'm Hungarian.

I have seldom seen it with carrots, and usually with potatos served separately, not already mixed in the pot. The pakrika I also know better in pieces than pureed into the sauce. I strongly assume that as with almost any "national dish", there are countless varieties down to family recepie level. Source: My grams used her mom's recepie, and my mom used hers. Great grams came from Hungary, or at least what then was the general area.
    Valid observation. Let's just say that the generalised goulash you can expect to find in restaurants or recent cookbooks will probably look like the photo I've posted but family variations can look like anything. (Ours has parsley leaves, for example.)