10+ Year Old Account
    Some of these stats are really obscure and essentially say nothing.
    For example the "Percentage of time spent at in-game locations", they split this statistic into 2 "genre" if you want to call it this way but dont give any indication how these 2 correlate to each other. For example Cities and Stations could be 95% and Planets,Asteroids & Moons only be 5% overall (fictional numbers) but you couldnt tell because they dont show this with their graph.

And not sure why they implement stuff like total playtime. It is not that impressive if you break down the number, 1k years playtime over 10 month sounds a lot..but thats essentially roughly 21k people playing for 1,5 hours everyday in that timeframe ( if my napkin math didnt fail me completely). That certainly changes the perspective when you read it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    The site used for those screenshots was https://trends.google.com/

Speaking of data, the infographic CIG released shows play time stats for January to October 2019
    Lmfao, the map where CIG confuses Sweden with Norway. They didn't seem to proofread it at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    There's plenty of crazy shit mentioned in this thread, but the insurance for ships scheme...... I had to google it myself to make sure people weren't making that up. That is some crazy shit. Generally try to not be judgemental, but, again: that is some crazy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    ED is a good game its just outdated and in way too basic for a proper space MMO, SC has/will have all ED has to offer plus much more, everything in SC is much more involved, the whole glued to your seat in ED kills any sort of immersion in the game and skill is not really a factor especially with flying.
    Haha, this guy.... it's fine if it is not for you but just stop proclaiming your subjective opinion is undeniable fact, it makes it very hard to take anything you say seriously.

Whats the point in a massive universe where its essentially lifeless with nothing much to do on any planet you find, Cities in SC are the only places where you can purchase ships or at least will be the main way to buy them, i would rather have a nice city to fly over or walk about in than some small outpost.
    You've already had this explained to you. The universe exists because it is a replication of the Milky Way and because there is not life all over the Milky Way there is not life all over Elite.

Stealing ships, missions, taxi people where they want to go, mining, bounty hunting, fps pvp, space pvp, creating missions, exploring planets, trading, salvage missions, collecting equipment, racing, pretty much everything you do in elite and upcomming content like 40 man instance ground/air/space pvp mission, scanning things on planets, base building, destroying/pirating npcs flying around, jumping to other systems, i dont even know if your being serious about SC not having more to do than ED.
    Thank you for listing some stuff. Shame so much of it is just one dimensional or made up bullshit. You've practically repeated yourself half a dozen times just to pad your list out. The fact that you think this is superior to what other games contain just shows you don't play other games or you're just too sucked in by Star Citizen.

Just by having an actual body opens up more content that ED can currently offer. It doesnt matter if you have 100 planets or 1 million if there is only 4-5 things to do on those planets its just pointless, would rather have detailed planets with a few more things to do than a lifeless universe.
    Haha this guy... you've got a real hate boner for Elite, like every sentence and you have to throw out some sort of insult. Here's some news, putting down another game does not elevate your own... your own game stands on its own merits and SC is not doing so well on the gameplay/professions/progression/game loops/mechanics front, especially for 8 years work.

There are not many space games out and as i have said its a good game its just missing many things to make it a complete space game, 32 players is what the ED servers can handle, that time they managed 100 the servers couldnt handle it and they did it in the middle of nowhere.
    Yawn. This is completely false but you certainly love to keep repeating things as though the more you say them the truer they will become...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sezerek View Post
    And not sure why they implement stuff like total playtime. It is not that impressive if you break down the number, 1k years playtime over 10 month sounds a lot..but thats essentially roughly 21k people playing for 1,5 hours everyday in that timeframe ( if my napkin math didnt fail me completely). That certainly changes the perspective when you read it.
    I haven't done the math but apparently the play time works out to an continual average concurrency of around 1300.
    Last edited by 1001; 2019-12-02 at 06:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The site used for those screenshots was https://trends.google.com/
    given that your links are unrelated to the claim that was being discussed, you owe Mr. Anderson an apology. he specifically spoke about Star Citizen being more popular on Twitch and then you went to Google Trends and tried to use that as a counter to his assertion, which it does not even demonstrate, you also failed to give context to what the graphs you linked were showing. i hope that you did not deliberately leave out key information on purpose, as that would paint you as a very bad faith actor.
    Speaking of data, the infographic CIG released shows play time stats for January to October 2019 ~snip~
    seems like they are proud that people are playing the game more even in its alpha state. nothing wrong with that.
    Some of these stats are really obscure and essentially say nothing.
    For example the "Percentage of time spent at in-game locations", they split this statistic into 2 "genre" if you want to call it this way but dont give any indication how these 2 correlate to each other. For example Cities and Stations could be 95% and Planets,Asteroids & Moons only be 5% overall (fictional numbers) but you couldnt tell because they dont show this with their graph.
    huh? how so? if you play the game then they make perfect sense, if you do not know the locations and features of the game how can you make sense of the infographic? you are not its target audience. Loreville is a city on the planet Hurston so just looking at the 4 major landing areas (excluding Port Olisar as it is everyone's' initial spawn point into the game), 25.28% of players spent their time in the city of Loreville which is on the planet Hurston. the other comparison is that of the time backers played, 27.69% of the time was on the planet Hurston. the only thing we do not know is if the time spent on the planets includes the time spent in the specific cities on those planets as well or if they were separated, i am inclined to think that they were separate as you can land anywhere on all but one planet (ArcCorp) to which you are mainly relegated to the main Area 19 landingzone and rooftop landing pads.
    wait, are you saying that an alpha with 21k players playing the game every day for 10 months straight for 1.5 hrs each day is not impressive? those are some really great numbers. but hey, that might just be me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    There's plenty of crazy shit mentioned in this thread, but the insurance for ships scheme...... I had to google it myself to make sure people weren't making that up. That is some crazy shit. Generally try to not be judgemental, but, again: that is some crazy shit.
    sorry, maybe i missed the insurance shit, mind elaborating on which insurance you are referring to and what the contention is? thanks.

A video from a huge Star Citizen critic:

Intergalactic Aerospace Expo

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

Day 5:

Day 6:

Day 7:

Day 8:

there is currently a Free-Fly event running until the end of December 5th PST for anyone who want to try the game out for themselves. if you are interested follow the Free-Fly links you can use my referral code STAR-3QDY-SZBG here Star Citizen Free-Fly Event when you create your account so you can get an extra 5,000 UEC when the game goes live. the code can only be applied when you create your account, you cannot retroactively add a code later, so be careful when going through account creation.

if you need any guidance in-game, someone to play with or any guidance setting up the game or your account just hit me up here and i'll see what i can do to help. o7
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Haha, this guy.... it's fine if it is not for you but just stop proclaiming your subjective opinion is undeniable fact, it makes it very hard to take anything you say seriously.

You've already had this explained to you. The universe exists because it is a replication of the Milky Way and because there is not life all over the Milky Way there is not life all over Elite.

Thank you for listing some stuff. Shame so much of it is just one dimensional or made up bullshit. You've practically repeated yourself half a dozen times just to pad your list out. The fact that you think this is superior to what other games contain just shows you don't play other games or you're just too sucked in by Star Citizen.

Haha this guy... you've got a real hate boner for Elite, like every sentence and you have to throw out some sort of insult. Here's some news, putting down another game does not elevate your own... your own game stands on its own merits and SC is not doing so well on the gameplay/professions/progression/game loops/mechanics front, especially for 8 years work.

Yawn. This is completely false but you certainly love to keep repeating things as though the more you say them the truer they will become...

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't done the math but apparently the play time works out to an continual average concurrency of around 1300.
    I enjoyed Elite for the 100 plus hours i played it, just doesnt offer a fulfilling space experience, i only play SC for new patchs to test out things but it offers many things that ED just doesnt give you, it seems you somehow just hate SC and wont even acknowledge what it has over other similar games, only things ED has that current SC doesnt currently is full trade system and traveling to other systems, SC offers everything else that ED currently has.

Normally a game in development wouldnt be getting played until a proper alpha/beta, the current gameplay SC has is good and what do you mean by progression, there is no leveling in SC it pretty similar to ED, you will gain rep with factions you want to do missions with, but mainly it will be earning money, there will be a ton of different professions, each ship serves a different role.

Whats your main complaint, development time? maybe if it was a fully established studio it may of been done by now but unless you know what involved with making it you cant say 8 years is too long, SC probably has more hurdles than any other game thats been developed so far, maybe trying to add too much is making it take longer but if the game is better for it whos to say they were wrong, if you were making a game would you want it to be the way you want it or to just get it out there and miss something.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

I enjoyed Elite for the 100 plus hours i played it, just doesnt offer me a fulfilling space experience,
    When did you last play? Oh and FTFY to avoid yet another blanket statement.

i only play SC for new patchs to test out things but it offers many things that ED just doesnt give you,
    That's true and other games offer things SC doesn't. If they all had the same things it would get rather boring, agreed?

it seems you somehow just hate SC and wont even acknowledge what it has over other similar games
    That's not the issue here. You're the one passing off subjective opinion as though it is undeniable fact, and I'm simply calling you out on it along with any falsehoods.

My personal opinion about SC is that it is doing some cool stuff but it is bogged down with really bad gameplay decisions, it's moving at a glacial pace and is costing far too much money for what they have delivered after 7 years work. The way I see it is that it is not a good return on the money invested in it. And lastly, their monetization sucks, totally sucks.

only things ED has that current SC doesnt currently is full trade system and traveling to other systems, SC offers everything else that ED currently has.
    Some storyline, alien bases, alien ships, Langrage clouds, Black holes, white dwarfs, neutron stars, numerous game loops, player to player refueling, faction ranking, faction rewards, engineering, persistence, 400 billion star systems, 10's of 1000s of stations and outposts and a shit ton of stuff I can't even recall right now. Put your dick away man....

Normally a game in development wouldnt be getting played until a proper alpha/beta, the current gameplay SC has is good and what do you mean by progression, there is no leveling in SC it pretty similar to ED, you will gain rep with factions you want to do missions with, but mainly it will be earning money, there will be a ton of different professions, each ship serves a different role.
    AKA one day.... you're compaing future game to current game and saying that they are the same. It's so bizarre.

Whats your main complaint, development time?
    I addressed this above but to reiterate, long development is fine, within reason, providing what gets delivered in that time is proportional. For a game that has such lofty dreams it is so far away from achieving them, which means an even more ridiculous amount of time and money to achieve it. There's the 80/20 rule. It takes 20% of the allocated time to deliver 80% of the project and 80% of the allocated time to deliver the final 20% of the project. Think about where star citizen fits into that statement with its 1 in 100 star systems and tier zero game play and then think about how much time has elapsed so far and how much it has cost to get there.

maybe if it was a fully established studio it may of been done by now but unless you know what involved with making it you cant say 8 years is too long, SC probably has more hurdles than any other game thats been developed so far, maybe trying to add too much is making it take longer but if the game is better for it whos to say they were wrong, if you were making a game would you want it to be the way you want it or to just get it out there and miss something.
    Chris has always had a habit of taking too long, it's not so much the tech but more to do with him changing and scrapping and restarting stuff over minute, irrelevant details.
    Last edited by 1001; 2019-12-02 at 07:08 PM.

When did you last play? Oh and FTFY to avoid yet another blanket statement.

That's true and other games offer things SC doesn't. If they all had the same things it would get rather boring, agreed?

That's not the issue here. You're the one passing off subjective opinion as though it is undeniable fact, and I'm simply calling you out on it along with any falsehoods.

My personal opinion about SC is that it is doing some cool stuff but it is bogged down with really bad gameplay decisions, it's moving at a glacial pace and is costing far too much money for what they have delivered after 7 years work. The way I see it is that it is not a good return on the money invested in it. And lastly, their monetization sucks, totally sucks.

Some storyline, alien bases, alien ships, Langrage clouds, Black holes, white dwarfs, neutron stars, numerous game loops, player to player refueling, faction ranking, faction rewards, engineering, persistence, 400 billion star systems, 10's of 1000s of stations and outposts and a shit ton of stuff I can't even recall right now. Put your dick away man....

AKA one day.... you're compaing future game to current game and saying that they are the same. It's so bizarre.

I addressed this above but to reiterate, long development is fine, within reason, providing what gets delivered in that time is proportional. For a game that has such lofty dreams it is so far away from achieving them, which means an even more ridiculous amount of time and money to achieve it. There's the 80/20 rule. It takes 20% of the allocated time to deliver 80% of the project and 80% of the allocated time to deliver the final 20% of the project. Think about where star citizen fits into that statement with its 1 in 100 star systems and tier zero game play and then think about how much time has elapsed so far and how much it has cost to get there.

Chris has always had a habit of taking too long, it's not so much the tech but more to do with him changing and scrapping and restarting stuff over minute, irrelevant details.
    There is already a rep system in SC as you cant obtain certain missions and there is already different professions in SC, while not all professions have working systems there are enough in play currently so its not one day its already today.

400 billion star systems and 10s of 100s of stations, but still you do the same tasks regardless as you would of done in that star system 50000 LY from where you are now, SC has or will have everything ED has to offer plus it offers more things you can do on top of that.

SC is a huge project and has had some issues during its development, maybe development could of been reduced maybe 1-2 years if everything went perfectly but im sure there are issues with many games in development that make things take longer than expected, and how do you know how many star systems are completed or mostly complete in SC, even on release each star system will probably have many more things done to them, we already have seen the planet tech in action and how fast it is to create 1 planet, so the only thing that would take time is things like cities but much of filling out can be done with precedural tech, ships are pretty much done for the most part just tweaks and a few of the largest ones to finish so focus is probably on SQ 42 and then finishing the universe.

There is already a rep system in SC as you cant obtain certain missions and there is already different professions in SC, while not all professions have working systems there are enough in play currently so its not one day its already today.
    Not quite the same Kenn. You have minor faction rep, super faction rep, engineer rep etc.

400 billion star systems and 10s of 100s of stations, but still you do the same tasks regardless as you would of done in that star system 50000 LY from where you are now,
    Do you think that every system in Star Citizen is going to give you a completely different set of game play mechanics? Fucking hell man, you are complaining about the most asinine of things. It's like saying that playing soccer is the same at your home pitch as it is at Wembly Stadium, yeah like no fucking shit sherlock. If the game is about you flying your spaceship and making your way in the galaxy then of course it is going to have the same tenet whether it's at Sol or some other populated system...

SC has or will have everything ED has to offer plus it offers more things you can do on top of that.
    Ignoring that Elite is still being developed so it will gain more things as time goes on. And really, who gives a fuck? Why are you incessently beating this drum? If SC has different things to Elite, great. If Elite has different things to SC, great. Why do you feel it is some sort of competition?

SC is a huge project and has had some issues during its development, maybe development could of been reduced maybe 1-2 years if everything went perfectly but im sure there are issues with many games in development that make things take longer than expected, and how do you know how many star systems are completed or mostly complete in SC, even on release each star system will probably have many more things done to them, we already have seen the planet tech in action and how fast it is to create 1 planet, so the only thing that would take time is things like cities but much of filling out can be done with precedural tech, ships are pretty much done for the most part just tweaks and a few of the largest ones to finish so focus is probably on SQ 42 and then finishing the universe.
    Zzzzzzzzz

Not quite the same Kenn. You have minor faction rep, super faction rep, engineer rep etc.

Do you think that every system in Star Citizen is going to give you a completely different set of game play mechanics? Fucking hell man, you are complaining about the most asinine of things. It's like saying that playing soccer is the same at your home pitch as it is at Wembly Stadium, yeah like no fucking shit sherlock. If the game is about you flying your spaceship and making your way in the galaxy then of course it is going to have the same tenet whether it's at Sol or some other populated system...

Ignoring that Elite is still being developed so it will gain more things as time goes on. And really, who gives a fuck? Why are you incessently beating this drum? If SC has different things to Elite, great. If Elite has different things to SC, great. Why do you feel it is some sort of competition?

Zzzzzzzzz
    And rep in any game either gives you access to better missions or items/equipment its no different than ED or SC, there may be some things locked by certain reputation but generally SC doesnt limit your access to anything behind reputation.

Your the one saying you have so many things to do in ED because there are x amount of systems, no matter the number of planets it doesnt change that if you only have x amount of tasks you can do on any given planet, that huge universe amounts to nothing in the big picture, im not saying SC tasks will be much different but your the one implying having 400 billion planets gives you more things to do just because.

ED may add more things but is it going to add ship interiors, cities on at least certain planets, being able to walk around, making a better flight model something better than supercruise, weather systems, multiple biomes on planets, boarding mechanics, being able to logout in your ship and spawn in your ship, ED would need a major overhaul to add many of those little things that just culminate into a more complete experience.

And rep in any game either gives you access to better missions or items/equipment its no different than ED or SC, there may be some things locked by certain reputation but generally SC doesnt limit your access to anything behind reputation.
    Damn I swear you argue just for the sake of it. Chris and Tony have always talked of missions being unlocked by gaining reputation. SC doesn't limit right now because there is so little of it.

Your the one saying you have so many things to do in ED because there are x amount of systems,
    No Kenn, that is bullshit. You said that SC has far more to do than Elite. I disagreed and asked for a list of things. You are the one continually harping on about the number of systems being irrelevant, the only thing I have said is that the game is modelled on the Milky Way and therefore there are lots of systems for that reason.

...no matter the number of planets it doesnt change that if you only have x amount of tasks you can do on any given planet, that huge universe amounts to nothing in the big picture, im not saying SC tasks will be much different but your the one implying having 400 billion planets gives you more things to do just because.
    And here's more bullshit. At no point have I said that having more systems = more gameplay. What I have been disagreeing with is your claims that every system is boring and empty and pointless with nothing to do in them and your other claims that SC has more to do in its alpha than Elite as a released game.

ED may add more things but is it going to add ship interiors, cities on at least certain planets, being able to walk around, making a better flight model something better than supercruise, weather systems, multiple biomes on planets, boarding mechanics, being able to logout in your ship and spawn in your ship, ED would need a major overhaul to add many of those little things that just culminate into a more complete experience.
    Again with the competition.... I don't know what they are going to add in the next expansion, there has been talk of ambulation and there's also been talk and concept art of Thargoids walking around, but that's all I really know. Frontier are keeping quiet on that.

The flight model is fine, the supercruise system is fine. In fact both of those piss all over SC's flight model and quantum travel. You can steer your ship in supercruise, you can do planetary fly-bys, you can refuel, you can interdict NPCs or other players etc. They have already implemented some weather (lightning) effects in the Langrage clouds which cause damage to your ships and this was something they wanted happening in the upper atmospheres of gas giants. You can log out and spawn in your ship right now, you've been able to do that since day 1. If they add atmospheric planets (which has always been on the cards) they are obviously going to add different biomes, wildlife, flora etc. Put things like big game hunting in place and so on. All of this stuff has been talked about at one time or another since 2012.

Damn I swear you argue just for the sake of it. Chris and Tony have always talked of missions being unlocked by gaining reputation. SC doesn't limit right now because there is so little of it.

No Kenn, that is bullshit. You said that SC has far more to do than Elite. I disagreed and asked for a list of things. You are the one continually harping on about the number of systems being irrelevant, the only thing I have said is that the game is modelled on the Milky Way and therefore there are lots of systems for that reason.

And here's more bullshit. At no point have I said that having more systems = more gameplay. What I have been disagreeing with is your claims that every system is boring and empty and pointless with nothing to do in them and your other claims that SC has more to do in its alpha than Elite as a released game.

Again with the competition.... I don't know what they are going to add in the next expansion, there has been talk of ambulation and there's also been talk and concept art of Thargoids walking around, but that's all I really know. Frontier are keeping quiet on that.

The flight model is fine, the supercruise system is fine. In fact both of those piss all over SC's flight model and quantum travel. You can steer your ship in supercruise, you can do planetary fly-bys, you can refuel, you can interdict NPCs or other players etc. They have already implemented some weather (lightning) effects in the Langrage clouds which cause damage to your ships and this was something they wanted happening in the upper atmospheres of gas giants. You can log out and spawn in your ship right now, you've been able to do that since day 1. If they add atmospheric planets (which has always been on the cards) they are obviously going to add different biomes, wildlife, flora etc. Put things like big game hunting in place and so on. All of this stuff has been talked about at one time or another since 2012.
    Comparing planet to planet in ED and SC there is more to do in SC in alpha than there is in ED, Missions, mining, exploration, Salvage, PvP/PVE content, buying things, SC may only have a few things more to do on but you cant change the fact there is more to do. Ability to make missions itself adds several tasks you can do, delivery, transport, rescue, and others.

Flight model in SC is far superior and supercruise system makes no sense, even ignoring turning at those speeds that would rip a ship apart and kill the pilot, SC gives you full control of your ship and interacts with the game physics, part of your ship missing affects flight, ED flight is just plain and simple making it boring, quantum travel is much more fluid, flight travel time can be used for ship maint and there are ships that can pull you out of quantum travel and keep you from getting back in, and you can drop out anytime during quantum travel, what sense does it make not traveling in a straight line from point A to point B.

Flight model in SC is far superior and supercruise system makes no sense, even ignoring turning at those speeds that would rip a ship apart and kill the pilot, SC gives you full control of your ship and interacts with the game physics, part of your ship missing affects flight, ED flight is just plain and simple making it boring, quantum travel is much more fluid, flight travel time can be used for ship maint and there are ships that can pull you out of quantum travel and keep you from getting back in, and you can drop out anytime during quantum travel, what sense does it make not traveling in a straight line from point A to point B.
    Eh, different gameplay for different people.

ED flight system has constraints such as extremely limited turning speeds, needing to roll in order to turn, etc. It's too restrictive for me to enjoy it but I can see why people would prefer it if they don't like Star Citizen's WW2 in space combat. I very much prefer freedom and agility SC gives me, but again, different tastes.

ED's supercruise let's you retain control over your ship as you fly around the system. ATM, ED has the more interesting interdiction system ATM, as when you're being interdicted you play a minigame where you try to follow a moving escape window. SC's quantum jump is like EVE Online in that you can only jump from one way point on the map to another in a straight line and can't turn or rotate your ship during QT (though you can stop halfway through the journey, QT to another place, stop halfway, and end up off the grid, where no one will be able to reach you). On the upside, this allows me to get up out of my pilot seat and do other things while the ship is in quantum travel. I can go through my menus and manage missions, equipment etc. Quantum travel gives me time to rest that supercruise does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

ED flight system has constraints such as extremely limited turning speeds, needing to roll in order to turn, etc. It's too restrictive for me to enjoy it but I can see why people would prefer it if they don't like Star Citizen's WW2 in space combat. I very much prefer freedom and agility SC gives me, but again, different tastes.

ED's supercruise let's you retain control over your ship as you fly around the system. ATM, ED has the more interesting interdiction system ATM, as when you're being interdicted you play a minigame where you try to follow a moving escape window. SC's quantum jump is like EVE Online in that you can only jump from one way point on the map to another in a straight line and can't turn or rotate your ship during QT (though you can stop halfway through the journey, QT to another place, stop halfway, and end up off the grid, where no one will be able to reach you). On the upside, this allows me to get up out of my pilot seat and do other things while the ship is in quantum travel. I can go through my menus and manage missions, equipment etc. Quantum travel gives me time to rest that supercruise does not.
    you can switch to decoupled mode in flight and you keep the momentum and direction but can face anyway you want so you can adapt and fly in a variety of different ways, SC has gone more of the realm of realism or an approximation, also there are different tactics depending on the ship your fighting against.

The supercruise to me just doesnt feel right, its mainly a minigame loading screen and you dont really feel your really in that solar system, ED interdiction is like jousting and fairly easy to win, SC mantis range is only 20km so if you get interdicted then your going to get stopped but it should be very hard to do it to an intended target without knowing where they will be traveling through so that could open up needing major skill or at least having extremely powerful sensors to track targets, much can be done in SC for interdiction we will just have to see where it goes.

you can switch to decoupled mode in flight and you keep the momentum and direction but can face anyway you want so you can adapt and fly in a variety of different ways, SC has gone more of the realm of realism or an approximation, also there are different tactics depending on the ship your fighting against.
    And Elite has "Flight Assist Off" where every input has to be countered with opposing input, where every directional change will keep going until you counter it. The only limitiation is on yaw (ship thruster are positioned to make optimal use of pitch and roll) and top speed. If you think turning on a dime via tiny thrusters which result in producing 10's of Gs is more real sim then well...

The supercruise to me just doesnt feel right, its mainly a minigame loading screen and you dont really feel your really in that solar system, ED interdiction is like jousting and fairly easy to win, SC mantis range is only 20km so if you get interdicted then your going to get stopped but it should be very hard to do it to an intended target without knowing where they will be traveling through so that could open up needing major skill or at least having extremely powerful sensors to track targets, much can be done in SC for interdiction we will just have to see where it goes.
    It's fine if you don't like it, I can't stand QT, I think it's an extremely lazy implementation but calling something that provides full control and different avenues of gameplay a minigame... is just like... come on. You know if SC had that and Elite had QT you would be singing its praises Interdictions can be easy against lower ranked NPCs and much more difficult against higher ranked ones, interdictions against more skilled players are also much more difficult to win.
    What seems to be the problem here, is you don't want to admit that other games have some stuff better than your beloved Star Citizen, you're like well it doesn't have that now but when it does it's going to be 1000x better!

- - - Updated - - -

Comparing planet to planet in ED and SC there is more to do in SC in alpha than there is in ED, Missions, mining, exploration, Salvage, PvP/PVE content, buying things, SC may only have a few things more to do on but you cant change the fact there is more to do. Ability to make missions itself adds several tasks you can do, delivery, transport, rescue, and others.
    Damn.... you and your "my dad is bigger than your dad" arguments. You refused to answer when you last played Elite and yet you want to act like some sort of authority as to what can be done in the game. You probably played it back in 2015 when they introduced planetary landings and have no idea what has changed since then. There is a ton of stuff that you can do, just educate yourself man.

It's a GAME, of course it's going to take liberties with reality, it's a fucking game. The game world is 1:1 scale (or close to it) do you really think people should fly around at a realistic speed? Because nobody would have left the first fucking star system after 5 years.....

The idea around supercruise is the use of the Alcubierre Drive
    Rather than exceeding the speed of light within a local reference frame, a spacecraft would traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it, resulting in effective faster-than-light travel. Objects cannot accelerate to the speed of light within normal spacetime; instead, the Alcubierre drive shifts space around an object so that the object would arrive at its destination faster than light would in normal space without breaking any physical laws.
    - - - Updated - - -

ED's supercruise let's you retain control over your ship as you fly around the system. ATM, ED has the more interesting interdiction system ATM, as when you're being interdicted you play a minigame where you try to follow a moving escape window. SC's quantum jump is like EVE Online in that you can only jump from one way point on the map to another in a straight line and can't turn or rotate your ship during QT (though you can stop halfway through the journey, QT to another place, stop halfway, and end up off the grid, where no one will be able to reach you). On the upside, this allows me to get up out of my pilot seat and do other things while the ship is in quantum travel.
    Take note Kenn, these are all well presented critiques and acknowledgement than games can do things differently and people can see the good in them even if it is not particulary what they want.

I can go through my menus and manage missions, equipment etc. Quantum travel gives me time to rest that supercruise does not.
    More recently they added an auto module for supercruise so you can sit back, hands off, read the codex, read/listen to Galnet, sort your weapon/module priorities etc. There is always the risk of interdictions though so it's not a fully automated system.
    Last edited by 1001; 2019-12-03 at 05:58 AM.

And Elite has "Flight Assist Off" where every input has to be countered with opposing input, where every directional change will keep going until you counter it. The only limitiation is on yaw (ship thruster are positioned to make optimal use of pitch and roll) and top speed. If you think turning on a dime via tiny thrusters which result in producing 10's of Gs is more real sim then well...

It's fine if you don't like it, I can't stand QT, I think it's an extremely lazy implementation but calling something that provides full control and different avenues of gameplay a minigame... is just like... come on. You know if SC had that and Elite had QT you would be singing its praises Interdictions can be easy against lower ranked NPCs and much more difficult against higher ranked ones, interdictions against more skilled players are also much more difficult to win.
    What seems to be the problem here, is you don't want to admit that other games have some stuff better than your beloved Star Citizen, you're like well it doesn't have that now but when it does it's going to be 1000x better!

- - - Updated - - -

Damn.... you and your "my dad is bigger than your dad" arguments. You refused to answer when you last played Elite and yet you want to act like some sort of authority as to what can be done in the game. You probably played it back in 2015 when they introduced planetary landings and have no idea what has changed since then. There is a ton of stuff that you can do, just educate yourself man.

It's a GAME, of course it's going to take liberties with reality, it's a fucking game. The game world is 1:1 scale (or close to it) do you really think people should fly around at a realistic speed? Because nobody would have left the first fucking star system after 5 years.....

The idea around supercruise is the use of the Alcubierre Drive

- - - Updated - - -

Take note Kenn, these are all well presented critiques and acknowledgement than games can do things differently and people can see the good in them even if it is not particulary what they want.

More recently they added an auto module for supercruise so you can sit back, hands off, read the codex, read/listen to Galnet, sort your weapon/module priorities etc. There is always the risk of interdictions though so it's not a fully automated system.
    Fact is SC offers more than ED does, even if you only count what you can do by having a body it opens up far more dimensions than ED currently has and its unlikely it will ever add the ability for the player to walk around a ship or station, ED is most of the time a single player experience.

Im currently playing ED so im well aware of what it has to offer, its a good game its just not complete.

You can hate QT if you want, its a smooth seemless form of travel thats similar to many sci fi variations, system to system travel in SC requires some pilot skill and can drop you out in the middle of nowhere if your not paying attention, less stable jump points will be even harder to navigate and its seemless travel from one system to another. Current supercruise makes no sense why doesnt it just make you travel faster in normal space instead of you being on a seperate layer seeing the planets on a smaller scale until you drop out of supercruise near them, its just clunky, it works but dimishes that space experience.

The major difference is that Chris Roberts expressly stated in it's pitch that he didin't want to build any old game but he wanted to build a Universe.

@2:15

Braben focused on making the game part first and build the universe later. Because that's what Eliteangerous was when released, "an old game" sugar coated with modern sound and gfx that released with less content compared than Elite:2 and FFE. Less ships, no story, no atmospheric landings or as complex military missions as the old games to say a few.

It traded lack of depth for an quick release but besides the sugar coating didn't really pushed the franchise or gaming medium forward since they added the planetary landings. It's hailed as a ever evolving project that share many features with Chris Roberts vision but the reality is that it hasn't been delivering as steadily as Star Citizen has.

Both projects decided to tackle their bigger problems in a different priority Ofc the aproach and complexity of developing systems for one or another will be different.

Take ships and flight system for example, Star Citizen ships are modeled inside too but react differently when damaged, you actualy lose wing's, weapons, thrusters and that impacts the gameplay. It alows other players to fly with you, multicrew is a natural occurence and not a disjointed feature. But not onlysh damage models impact gameplay but also atmosphere in planets and the way ships with different aerodynamics react.

Same with planetary bodies, sure elite has 400 billions of them but none of them look or feel more believable than the dozen ones Star Citizen has.

Star Citize might seem slower but that's basicaly because they started by focusing on the difficult tech stuff first and tackle gameplay/polish later.

Making a universe will always be a marathon and just because your sprinting from the start to get ahead distance doesn't mean you'll finish first.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2019-12-03 at 04:00 PM.

Fact is SC offers more than ED does, even if you only count what you can do by having a body it opens up far more dimensions than ED currently has and its unlikely it will ever add the ability for the player to walk around a ship or station, ED is most of the time a single player experience.
    Nope. SC offers stuff that Elite doesn't. Elite offers stuff that SC doesn't. Elite has more game loops, more content and more progression than SC. Those are the facts.
    Repeating your lies is not going to make them true.

Im currently playing ED so im well aware of what it has to offer, its a good game its just not complete.
    Yeah bullshit you are... you've been dissing Elite for pages now, do you really think anyone believes you're playing something you hold so much contempt for?

You can hate QT if you want, its a smooth seemless form of travel thats similar to many sci fi variations,
    It's a featureless point A to point B lazy implementation of what could have been done. The fact that you have to stop to change direction should expose just how shit it is. Imagine if Microsoft Flight Simulator required stopping to change direction... people would laugh at such a shitty decision.

system to system travel in SC requires some pilot skill and can drop you out in the middle of nowhere if your not paying attention,
    When this makes it in game it will be quite nice, at least for the first few times. I'm not sure that doing it every time will be fun.

less stable jump points will be even harder to navigate and its seemless travel from one system to another.
    Another feature that will be nice when it makes it into the game, reminds me of EVE's wormholes.

Current supercruise makes no sense why doesnt it just make you travel faster in normal space instead of you being on a seperate layer seeing the planets on a smaller scale until you drop out of supercruise near them, its just clunky, it works but dimishes that space experience.
    The minimum supercruise speed is 30km p/sec, there is no point in having it in 'normal' space because you'd shoot past ships and stations and other stuff way too fast for you or anybody else to react, just like now when you are in supercruise you can't see people that are not because it would be pointless, even at the slowest supercruise speed they would just be a momentary blip on the screen. It serves no purpose.

The minimum supercruise speed is 30km p/sec, there is no point in having it in 'normal' space because you'd shoot past ships and stations and other stuff way too fast for you or anybody else to react, just like now when you are in supercruise you can't see people that are not because it would be pointless, even at the slowest supercruise speed they would just be a momentary blip on the screen. It serves no purpose.
    He is literally asking why the game isn't calculating and rendering completely useless shit.
    This is why SC is taking so ungodly long, because people like him demand useless garbage that needlessly stresses the system while the developers rip out their hairs trying to make it somehow work. All so you can see the few people you pass as a single pixel for less then a frame.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    The major difference is that Chris Roberts expressly stated in it's pitch that he didin't want to build any old game but he wanted to build a Universe.
    Roberts said he was building Wing Commander / FreeLancer as he always hoped them to be. He is literally building old games with modern tech.

Braben focused on making the game part first and build the universe later. Because that's what Eliteangerous was when released, "an old game" sugar coated with modern sound and gfx that released with less content compared than Elite:2 and FFE. Less ships, no story, no atmospheric landings or as complex military missions as the old games to say a few.
    Not untrue, however it was released with just 2 years of work because they were honouring the date they gave kickstarter backers, and when typical MMO games take 5+ years so some allowance should be made for that.

It traded lack of depth for an quick release but besides the sugar coating didn't really pushed the franchise or gaming medium forward since they added the planetary landings. It's hailed as a ever evolving project that share many features with Chris Roberts vision but the reality is that it hasn't been delivering as steadily as Star Citizen has.
    And this is untrue. Elite brings it universe to the series like none of the games before it, from exporable area to all the science involved to better Thargoids, better ships, better planets and so on. Secondly, they have delivered almost every patch on time, 4 patches a year since release. Meanwhile SC cuts content from each and every patch which are all inevitably delayed. So the idea that SC is delivering more steadily is a joke.

Both projects decided to tackle their bigger problems in a different priority Ofc the aproach and complexity of developing systems for one or another will be different.
    Very true. Elite built the game space and is working from the macro towards the micro. SC is working on the micro and eventually towards some sort of semi-macro (100 systems).

Take ships and flight system for example, Star Citizen ships are modeled inside too but react differently when damaged, you actualy lose wing's, weapons, thrusters and that impacts the gameplay. It alows other players to fly with you, multicrew is a natural occurence and not a disjointed feature. But not onlysh damage models impact gameplay but also atmosphere in planets and the way ships with different aerodynamics react.
    Yep it's nice features, not gamechanging but a nice attention to detail. Elites ships do have some reaction to being loaded with cargo but it's only a small difference.
    However, Elite has a lot of variety in gravity which is really noticeable when landing on planets, On higher gravity planets it can take a lot of focus to control and land your ship safely.

Same with planetary bodies, sure elite has 400 billions of them but none of them look or feel more believable than the dozen ones Star Citizen has.
    Yeah bullshit. Elite's are modelled on actual first principles, Tectonic plate generation, mountain range generation etc., Star types, distance from star and so on all contribute to planetary composition for accuracy's sake, not just so they look pretty.

Star Citize might seem slower but that's basicaly because they started by focusing on the difficult tech stuff first and tackle gameplay/polish later.
    Making a universe will always be a marathon and just because your sprinting from the start to get ahead distance doesn't mean you'll finish first.
    Saw it summed up elsewhere earlier. In Elite you can fly to the center of the Milky Way and visit Sag A*, in Star Citizen you can swill coffee around in a cup

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    He is literally asking why the game isn't calculating and rendering completely useless shit.
    This is why SC is taking so ungodly long, because people like him demand useless garbage that needlessly stresses the system while the developers rip out their hairs trying to make it somehow work. All so you can see the few people you pass as a single pixel for less then a frame.
    Yeah absolutely, It was like when they said they wanted proper physics for each and every missile fired and how they intended it to work across meshed instances. Like why would you waste computational power on something so pointless.
    Last edited by 1001; 2019-12-03 at 04:50 PM.