Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizzards content relevency, Warfronts, Garrisons etc.

Hear me out, I know, I know Warfronts are a very hit/miss content and I have my reasons for liking/hating them as much as everyone but I have a reason I feel warfronts should actually carry on and potentially they should even add one in 8.3.5

Content Relevency, FF14's strength' WoW's Weakness:

Warfronts imho should carry on because even as an irrelevent content they should be something players can continue to do, even into the next expansion, imho given blizzards over-reliance on RNG even though they are trying to cut back on it, I feel they can still make Warfronts enjoyable and even potentially add new ones along with other features they could bring back, like the Garrison, in a softer but still enjoyable way:

Examples:
    - Warfronts could drop LFR tier gear (Nothing higher) for future expansions of the first raid only, this would make them useful as a way to help new players catch up as they'd be a way to bring back content thats old but still give people extra options for gearing.

- Island Expeditions+Scenerios from MoP could offer Heroic Dungeon Tier rewards equiviliency to help players gear up faster for Mythic and mythic+

- Garrisons could offer LFR tier rewards for mission table completions.

- OLD LFR could return as relevent LFR content as a way for players to gear faster (Once again, the gear would only be on parity with tier 1 raiding gear (so shadowlands version of uldir, as an example).

- Mythic+ for MoP/WoD/Legion/BFA remains relevent as a way to spice old content up and let mythic+ players have options.

- Old daily quests in previous expansions could offer token rewards equal to dungeon heroics.

All this is food for thought but imho while I know its alot of undertaking I feel blizzard could make alot of old content amazing again if they actually had the balls to do this, its what FF14 does and other MMO's like ESO which still remain relevent and GW2.

Relevent content can be enjoyable if its still relevent -today- which is why im sayin' it'd work in certain circumstances.

Im not saying Warfronts should offer mythic raiding gear, or that you should be able to get mythic gear from garrisons, just that they could be accessable catchup content.

I used to love working the garrison and the order hall.

I would never be wanting for things to do if some of this happened.

But too many people froth at the mouth with rage at the thought of anyone getting any gear at all-- even just 'catch-up gear' -- from any source other than "THE absolute latest, newest" content.

Which is a shame, because some older content, I really liked.

I liked the Molten Front from Cataclysm. That was fun.

The Timeless Isle wasn't bad. Not great but not bad.

The Argent Tourney was nice once in a while. I used to be a real killer at that.
    Last edited by HollyCarp; 2019-12-02 at 07:17 PM.

You get transmog, pets, heirlooms, etc... from old content.

No, they shouldn't.

Good systems should be kept, but not everything needs to be "relevant" solely by Blizzard putting rewards behind it.

WoW has in my opinion a system bloat issue, where everything then needs to be somehow attractive for the average player by putting power relevant rewards behind it (Gear / AP).
    Which in turn makes everything relevant, causing the effect where everything feels like a chore because it's somehow an upgrade to you, despite the fact that you would never engage in that type of content without the reward behind it.

Quality > Quantity.

Right, good systems should be kept. Most players hated garrisons, islands, and warfronts, so why keep them relevant? Replace them with new stuff.

The failure of Warfronts was it was player vs AI and it had the potential to be Amazing. It should have been Player vs Player with 40 v 40 and maybe some NPC's thrown in there. It was such a failure of BFA.

Scenarios were basically ignored when they were launched. Not at all what they were said to be. Boring and really just bad over all. I think I did less then 10 combined. Basically just instanced quests. Island expeditions suffer the same thing.

Warfronts are boring as heck. Zero challenge and its just zerg to the end and you're done.

Old dailies are boring. Heck, current dailies are boring. Offering gear tokens from them that could get gear from would be bad. We would get to the same problem we already hit with them in that they would feel mandatory to hit Ever, Single, One you possibly could to stay relevant during progression. Especially on launch. Not to mention dungeon level rewards wouldn't really get people going back, so ignored either way.

I agree with more options, but trying to over saturate with options is just as bad as if you had no options. They realized this awhile back that too much = bad. But some of the systems listed are just boring and suck when current.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

They'd have to artificially limit the number of items you could get per week, and then they would fall into the pit of one type of content being the most efficient.

Maybe they could tie it in with Timewalking. Each week, a different older expansion has content at max level. I could go for that.

I would actually really love this. Again obviously capped at the very lowest catch up gear level, but this would be far more interesting to me. Maybe I'm sick of BFA things by my 5th alt and want to do some Legion things to catch up instead. It's why I think the overall shift towards level scaling in recent expansions is positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Hear me out, I know, I know Warfronts are a very hit/miss content and I have my reasons for liking/hating them as much as everyone but I have a reason I feel warfronts should actually carry on and potentially they should even add one in 8.3.5

Warfronts imho should carry on because even as an irrelevent content they should be something players can continue to do, even into the next expansion, imho given blizzards over-reliance on RNG even though they are trying to cut back on it, I feel they can still make Warfronts enjoyable and even potentially add new ones along with other features they could bring back, like the Garrison, in a softer but still enjoyable way:

Examples:
    - Warfronts could drop LFR tier gear (Nothing higher) for future expansions of the first raid only, this would make them useful as a way to help new players catch up as they'd be a way to bring back content thats old but still give people extra options for gearing.

- Island Expeditions+Scenerios from MoP could offer Heroic Dungeon Tier rewards equiviliency to help players gear up faster for Mythic and mythic+

- OLD LFR could return as relevent LFR content as a way for players to gear faster (Once again, the gear would only be on parity with tier 1 raiding gear (so shadowlands version of uldir, as an example).

- Mythic+ for MoP/WoD/Legion/BFA remains relevent as a way to spice old content up and let mythic+ players have options.

- Old daily quests in previous expansions could offer token rewards equal to dungeon heroics.

All this is food for thought but imho while I know its alot of undertaking I feel blizzard could make alot of old content amazing again if they actually had the balls to do this, its what FF14 does and other MMO's like ESO which still remain relevent and GW2.

Relevent content can be enjoyable if its still relevent -today- which is why im sayin' it'd work in certain circumstances.

Im not saying Warfronts should offer mythic raiding gear, or that you should be able to get mythic gear from garrisons, just that they could be accessable catchup content.
    Warfronts should be what the name suggests: a war. That means against players of course, and with world repercussions, not instanced, not round robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Maybe they could tie it in with Timewalking. Each week, a different older expansion has content at max level. I could go for that.
    I'm with this too. Heck, we already have the event, could just make both be the same event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post

Examples:

the amount of 445+ people who sign for my 430+ req WF groups prove that they are more then relevant -_-

but sure lets bash it

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    The failure of Warfronts was it was player vs AI and it had the potential to be Amazing. It should have been Player vs Player with 40 v 40 and maybe some NPC's thrown in there. It was such a failure of BFA.
    The problem with warfronts had nothing to do with them not being PvP (although blizzard DID end up scrapping a pvp version as Islands have). It was because they made us act like the units from WC3 but without someone directing everything it had to be scripted. So they were boring, identical every time, and appeared so infrequently that what little gear they dropped was hopelessly outclassed by the time you could even do one.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I've actually been running Island Adventures during this content drought as I wait for 8.3 and found them to be kind of enjoyable. Mostly just wanting to snag the mounts, battle pets, and toys from the doubloons (and a few random drops). It's definitely a system that needs work and iteration, but I could see it being relevant moving in some capacity in the form of adventuring outside the major story-arc and just letting the player have some random fun.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Warfronts are very boring, there's almost no challenge, just stay moving around to not get kicked LOL. If they didn't offer i430 gear at the end each week, I would never go in one. Just feels so generic, and like no real threat, just go here and there and whack away at enemy AI for a half hour. Does nothing to draw me in or hold my attention. Again I only run them for the Heroic Raid loot. If the loot was still only i340 or i370 today, I would never step foot in them.

Legion - Class Halls. I loved those, that was very good content, heck I am still doing some of them today, for artifact weapon appearance unlocks, and for some class hall gear unlocks for transmog reasons, on alts I never completed the Class Hall stuff when Legion was live.

Class Halls, had weapon appearances to unlock, gear appearances to unlock, and mounts to unlock. And they were a lot of fun to run, cool quests and adventures to go on. I think Class Halls from Legion was some of the best new content WoW has seen in a very long time.
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2019-12-02 at 09:10 PM.

https://i.imgur.com/oDGcfp8.png

This is an idea I'm sure many of have had in the past. This would replace the Warfront system to be in the actual world but, also be reflective of PvE content out there as well. This is the Classic example of Duskwood being broken into subsections for each faction(Alliance, Horde, Defias, Undead, etc) to conquer. This would present different variety of quests based upon the circumstance of subsection and also provide invasion points from other zones to impact it.

The content would be playable at all levels and in several instances create "World Events" where the power in a particular region is tipping beyond the breaking point would could lead to subsequent invasions in nearby zones. Ultimately this content would be reset every few weeks to a month to provide a restart to whatever chaos is occurring. Players can actively choose to play in any zone with the only limitations being friendly factions. Such as your parent faction and other such factions as the Cenarion Circle, Argent, Goblins, etc.

In case of Duskwood we could have a...
    1. Hakkari troll invasion
    2. Horde invasion
    3. Demon invasion
    4. Naga invasion
    5. Kurzen invasion
    6. Blackrock Orc/Dark Iron dwarves/Dragon invasion
    7. Cataclysm elemental invasion/Cult of Twilight

Within the zone we could have...
    1. Mindless undead rampaging the countryside and possibly killing everyone in Darkshire
    2. Ogres conquering their neighbors
    3. Defias rebellion takes over Duskwood
    4. Nightmare bleeds into Duskwood
    5. The Necromancer (Morbent Fel or Abercombie) plans to use the dead to rule over Duskwood
    6. The Worgen pandemic reaches to incredible levels as Darkshire is turned completely into Worgen
    Last edited by Roelath; 2019-12-02 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Good systems should be kept, but not everything needs to be "relevant" solely by Blizzard putting rewards behind it.
    It absolutely does. No one would run content that did not provide some kind of reward or benefit to their character.

The problem is Warfronts are way too easy.
    Warfronts should have been intense pvp battles w/ pve interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    The problem is Warfronts are way too easy.
    Warfronts should have been intense pvp battles w/ pve interactions.
    Like wintergrasp?

They were trying to evoke the Warcraft RTS games, and didn't want to just make another battleground. Obviously, they failed, but that's what they were going for.