Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    It's a little of both. I know several people in real life who are amazing at driving and have been doing so since 5+ (youngest ones usually on lawnmowers and tractors) because they either had to help out on their family farm or because they had a bunch of land and would drive on it for fun. Many rural people here in America also own guns for hunting or shooting shit for fun so many are great at shooting as well.
    Does it qualify you for being a jet pilot, let alone allow you to be a good jet pilot?

Cause that's the jump we're talking about.

There's a reason the Air Force are the nerds of the military.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Poe is only a hot shot pilot because they Told us that instead of you know.... Showing it
    I mean, he sniped stormtroopers standing next the prisoners with weaponry that's meant for vehicular targets. If that doesn't qualify someone as a hotshot pilot I don't know how else you can show it.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Does it qualify you for being a jet pilot, let alone allow you to be a good jet pilot?

"Oh wow, you're good at home repair? Congratulations you're now a nuclear engineer, no training needed."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Overpowered for no reason main character (Kylo as well really).
    Luke was also "overpowered". Stupidly strong in the Force, canonically. And there basically weren't any other Force users around, other than a handful.

Illogical super weapon (laser can't travel faster than light, there is no way it could be kept secret with all the huge manpower and materials they would need from other planets, not to mention it would take decades to build. Sucking up a sun, the material as to go somewhere, the planet would expand)
    Ships can't travel faster than light either. Except by Hyperspace. Which the Starkiller base used. Explicitly.
    History has plenty of secret projects that nobody knew the extent of, even in regimes that weren't as tightly controlled as the Empire. The Death Star itself speaks against your argument.

Terrible supporting cast
    Subjective at best.
    Disregard for all things Jedi
    Really not the case, at all.
    Disrespect of legacy characters and who they are (super man Leia!)
    We've known Leia was as Force-capable as her brother since the OT, man. And that Luke gave her some basic training. Leia using a Force Pull isn't crazy.
    Copying of Episode 4 but worse (episode 7)
    It's really not a "copy" at all. It hits similar notes, and there was a massive reason; the prequels had been so bad that they needed to show the fans they could give them "real Star Wars" again.

Most of your complaints are things that were true in the Original Trilogy. You've got no grounds for complaining that the modern trilogy has continued those tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    They lost an arm ok and? They are still over powered for no reason you didn’t say the lead had all her arms.

The Death Star being a space station didn’t make it any less illogical it was a massive target a a massive waste of resources and the empire could have gotten a better effect by just glassing planets with a fleet of star destroyers.

If you think Starwars gives a crap about light speed your about 6 movies to late. Starwars also had star eating space stations in the EU if eating a star destroys Starwars then it was destroyed before Disney ever owned it.

I’d say the new movie has some good characters like kylo but that’s all option and is irrelevant either way as supporting cast doesn’t destroy Starwars.

The Jedi order can be cool and also flawed. Those flaws were shown in the prequels and in the clone wars in many many places.

It’s almost like Luke struggled with the dark side in the OT and every time he did he pulled back. One could even say that trend contained on with kylo and given that we saw luke do it multiple times in the past that it’s in character.

Do you have any actual argument for why coping the base plot ruins the future of the series or is this just a case of you say it’s true so it has to be true?

And again please give more points on how it destroyed Starwars as none of these work.
    Therefore they are not overpowered. Obviously.

That was not what i said. You have been changing this point with each post to a point where you can try to defend it. You cannot. My point was not that it was waste, it's that it would be impossible to keep it a secret.

We aren't talking about the EU. We are talking about the new Disney trilogy.

Kylo is a good character for you? Oh boy... i think you are lost to us.

No one said it was perfect. It was cool, and it is. It's at the heart of Star Wars. To destroy it is to destroy star wars.

Luke overcame that by the end of the trilogy. That is how he turned Darth Vader.

I don;t even understand if you have a point at all. Copying is not original. Especially when it's badly done.

I think what's not working is you. I have spoken.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    There is no laser traveling at a speed faster than light's in Star Wars.

The Starkiller weapon used Star matter (it killed stars), converted it into dark energy and released it at a target via sub-hyperspace.

The hyperspace part was mentioned in the movie.

Also, Starkiller weapon, was mobile, despite being a planet. Even though there was no need to move it far to fire at any target in the galaxy - just to make sure there are no massive objects in the line of fire.

If you gonna criticize you better study the object of your critique.
    Ooh... and you learned this where? Nowhere in the movie is this explained.

Where did the mass of the star go? Why didn't the planet become a star with all that? So, they got hyperspace traveling lasers?! How funny! Why didn't they make this clear in the movie?

It fired from across the galaxy. It was nowhere near close. Maybe people don't really understand how vast space is...

My critique is completely accurate. None of it was explained in the movie and as far as i know you can be making this stuff up. I bet if it is official this stuff was retconned after the movie. Because of course it would be.

Also, let's not even think about how things can use hyperspace jump to rip other things apart. Handy thing only revealed in episode 8. Or how the beams of the starkiller only splitted at the end making illogical curves. Look at this in 2m09s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HmWDdmTAE8
    No, you cannot defend this BS.

Disney Star wars is bad fan fic. Those are the facts. I will not debate it anymore cause it is honestly beyond debate with how obvious it is. Be in denial all you want. Trash movies are trash.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-12-03 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Han Solo as a force ghost? Really? How?
    I mean, there's the whole thing where it was a huge fan theory that Han Solo was weakly Force Sensitive - the Star Wars equivalent of a squib, if you will - explaining why he says "I know" to Leia at the end of ESB. Because he can sense her feelings but isn't really actively aware he can.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Therefore they are not overpowered. Obviously.
    This doesn’t make any sense losing a fight doesn’t mean they weren't over powered by that logic Rey isn’t over powered either as she could do nothing against snoke.

That was not what i said. You have been changing this point with each post to a point where you can try to defend it. You cannot. My point was not that it was waste, it's that it would be impossible to keep it a secret.
    You made multiple points and I haven’t changed My response at all I just fleshed it out. You said star killer was illogical and that destroys Starwars I pointed out that the Death Star was also illogical and then told you why. Even if you want to pretend that you were only talking about it’s construction the Death Star was also made in secret.

We aren't talking about the EU. We are talking about the new Disney trilogy.
    Actually no we’re talking about how it “destroys Starwars” and the EU is part of Starwars even if it’s not key to the main Disney story’s.

Kylo is a good character for you? Oh boy... i think you are lost to us.
    Not a rebuttal.

No one said it was perfect. It was cool, and it is. It's at the heart of Star Wars. To destroy it is to destroy star wars.
    pointing out that something has flaws doesn’t destroy it and again if it did then the prequels and clone wars would have destroys Starwars not these new movies.

Luke overcame that by the end of the trilogy. That is how he turned Darth Vader.
    no he didn’t he did the exact same thing that he did with kylo twice while fighting Vader. First at the emperors jab again at Vader’s jab. Him pulling back doesn’t mean he’s past it for ever as he pulled back before only to fall into it again.

I don;t even understand if you have a point at all. Copying is not original. Especially when it's badly done.
    You said copying the base plot of 4 destroys Starwars but have yet to give any actual explanation how so. Copying 4 doesn’t destroy Starwars in any way.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2019-12-03 at 07:38 PM.

Except you have to keep in mind that the Rebellion - even ignoring Rogue One - is pretty on the ropes. They're probably taking anyone with both eyes facing the same direction and decent reflexes and sticking them into starfighters because they literally have no one else at the beginning of ANH. Destroying the planet-melting Death Star is pretty much what gives the Rebellion the forward momentum to start recruiting, because they showed standing up the the Empire could be done, that the Empire can be beaten.

So yeah, when a space redneck from space rural Texas shows up and goes "Hey I've spent my entire life at the controls of a civilian version of the very same starfighters you guys love" Luke is basically the Rebellion's last-ditch wet dream of a pilot. The T-16 Skyhopper he mentions is even in the same production lineup as the T-65 X-Wings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    I mean, he sniped stormtroopers standing next the prisoners with weaponry that's meant for vehicular targets. If that doesn't qualify someone as a hotshot pilot I don't know how else you can show it.
    That really only makes him a good shot, but I suppose as a wartime fighter pilot that's probably a solid 40-50% of the job.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Except you have to keep in mind that the Rebellion - even ignoring Rogue One - is pretty on the ropes. They're probably taking anyone with both eyes facing the same direction and decent reflexes and sticking them into starfighters because they literally have no one else at the beginning of ANH. Destroying the planet-melting Death Star is pretty much what gives the Rebellion the forward momentum to start recruiting, because they showed standing up the the Empire could be done, that the Empire can be beaten.

So yeah, when a space redneck from space rural Texas shows up and goes "Hey I've spent my entire life at the controls of a civilian version of the very same starfighters you guys love" Luke is basically the Rebellion's last-ditch wet dream of a pilot. The T-16 Skyhopper he mentions is even in the same production lineup as the T-65 X-Wings.
    Sure, that's a reason for the Rebellion to accept him as one of their TIE-fighters.

It's not a reason for why he can even take off, let alone fight, and isn't killed instantly in an against-the-odds fight where actual, trained fighters are regularly and easily killed.

Luke was OP.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Did it also explain how it kept a viable atmosphere/surface that people and plants could exist after firing? Or how its magical laser beams could curve and hone in on targets?
    Yes, it did. It was the same thing they destroyed to destroy the planet. That thing kept all that energy intact in the planet's core and it was only released in a tight beam during firing.

No magical laser beam curving and honing in Star Wars. There are plenty of other projectile types in Star Wars that can do that though, you know like missiles, torpedos, they didn't explain what those were, but if you have two options: physics-defying lasers and some kind of homing projectile - pick the latter. It's more plausible, don't you think? It's not uncommon to use artillery to deliver a homing payload - we use such weapons here on earth.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh... and you learned this where? Nowhere in the movie is this explained.
    The hyperspace was explained - it was the only thing that made that weapon so dangerous that they went after it.
    There was no need to explain the technical specifications of how the weapon operated. In the movie. Don't be ridiculous.

Where did the mass of the star go? Why didn't the planet become a star with all that? So, they got hyperspace traveling lasers?! How funny! Why didn't they make this clear in the movie?
    Into the planet core - they show it visually in the movie, without the science guy narrating - obviously. It did become the star at the end of that movie when they blew up the thing that kept the energy under control. No one said it became the star though, but it looked like it.

They made it clear in the movie that the weapon fires extreme amounts of energy via hyperspace - so the weapon doesn't NEED TO MOVE as Death Star did.
    It fired from across the galaxy. It was nowhere near close. Maybe people don't really understand how vast space is...
    At least they can read and comprehend. HYPERSPACE. The fast travel technology of Star Wars. Vastness of space? Fuck that! We've got hyperspace.
    My critique is completely accurate
    No.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Wont watch it, i come to this thread to watch the cringe especially from sarah and endus

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-12-03 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

The Mandalorian and Disney+ TV shows may be the future hope for Star Wars. Not these lame and forgettable sequel movies.

I have spoken

I like how Luke saying "I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16" followed up by decades of EU stuff detailing what a T-16 was is enough justification for how good Luke is in an X-Wing, but it's not good enough when they say "Hey, Starkiller base sends its lasers through hyperspace" and everyone is like, "BUT HOW?!?!?! THE MASS!!!!"

I like how Luke saying "I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16" followed up by decades of EU stuff detailing what a T-16 was is enough justification for how good Luke is in an X-Wing, but it's not good enough when they say "Hey, Starkiller base sends its lasers through hyperspace" and everyone is like, "BUT HOW?!?!?! THE MASS!!!!"
    My issue was never with a hyperspace weapon (or the T16), what annoyed me is when they (and that started with Lucas) tried to explain their bullshit. JJ Abrams has always cheated with distance and time. It's a cinematic device, let's just treat it as that. But then going 'It even warps real space so they could see it!' was just... weird. Of course, they could just have shown a 'TV' live feed from... the Hosnian system, was it? Some sort of intergalactic CSPAN, and have them show the red glow and then just static.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    The Mandalorian and Disney+ TV shows may be the future hope for Star Wars. Not these lame and forgettable sequel movies.

I have spoken
    I'm still peeved Obi-Wan isn't getting his own film. I mean, I know Solo sucked, but Rogue 1 was good. Ewan McGregor deserved his own film more than Alden what's his face.

I'm still peeved Obi-Wan isn't getting his own film. I mean, I know Solo sucked, but Rogue 1 was good. Ewan McGregor deserved his own film more than Alden what's his face.
    I'm happy that Ewan is back for a full fledged Disney+ series, we get more than just a single "Anthology" movie. The Mandalorian is great, and hoping the new Obi-Wan series is another excellent series.

And yes Rogue One was the best Disney made Star Wars movie yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe. But there was more material with Solo than with Obi Wan. Kenobi lived as a hermit on Tatooine. He had to remain discrete. I imagine his personal log:

Day 1: Found an abandoned place to live. not much, but it's home.
    Day 15: Met my nearest neighbors. Not much conversation. They gargle and then they attack. Or the other way around. No mind to use my trick on...
    Day 30: Damned it's hot. Have to walk 100 miles just to find water.
    Day 40: I'm bored.
    Day 50: My first sandstorm. At least some entertainment.
    Day 51: I don't like sand. It's coarse, rough and irritating and it gets everywhere!
    Day 54: Finally cleaned up my house.
    Day 55: Damned sandstorm! Must resist the lure of the Dark Side...
    Etc.

Well, we'll see.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    I'm happy that Ewan is back for a full fledged Disney+ series, we get more than just a single "Anthology" movie. The Mandalorian is great, and hoping the new Obi-Wan series is another excellent series.

And yes Rogue One was the best Disney made Star Wars movie yet.
    Hell, Rogue 1 was even better than Return of the Jedi, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones to me.

Yeah, Rogue One had a lot of substance going for it to me.
    The only movie out of the last clutch that was any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Maybe. But there was more material with Solo than with Obi Wan. Kenobi lived as a hermit on Tatooine. He had to remain discrete. I imagine his personal log:

Day 1: Found an abandoned place to live. not much, but it's home.
    Day 15: Met my nearest neighbors. Not much conversation. They gargle and then they attack. Or the other way around. No mind to use my trick on...
    Day 30: Damned it's hot. Have to walk 100 miles just to find water.
    Day 40: I'm bored.
    Day 50: My first sandstorm. At least some entertainment.
    Day 51: I don't like sand. It's coarse, rough and irritating and it gets everywhere!
    Day 54: Finally cleaned up my house.
    Day 55: Damned sandstorm! Must resist the lure of the Dark Side...
    Etc.

Well, we'll see.
    More meat to chew on if an adult Anakin was stranded on Tatooine.

Day 1. Found an abandoned place to live. not much, but it's home.
    Day 2. Met my nearest neighbors. They are the same creatures that killed my mother!!! They're like animals, so I slaughtered them like animals! I HATE THEM!!! AND I HATE SAND, IT'S COARSE, AND ROUGH, AND IT GETS EVERYWHERE!
    Day 3. Hello, collect call to The Emperor, please. Hi, still looking for an apprentice?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yeah, Rogue One had a lot of substance going for it to me.
    The only movie out of the last clutch that was any good.
    I'm surprised at how much they could do from a period where supposedly nothing was going on, between Revenge and New Hope. Just goes to show how much good writing is important to a movie.