Thread: R.I.P Lil'bub

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy R.I.P Lil'bub

Having grumpy cat pass on in may this year, its with sadness to report Lil'bub has also passed on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50638540
    Lil Bub: Cat with millions of online fans dies

Lil Bub, one of the internet's most famous cats, has died aged eight.

The cat's owner, Mike Bridavsky, announced her death to millions of followers on social media on Monday.

Lil Bub was best known for her unusual appearance - bulbous eyes and a protruding tongue. She was rescued as a feral kitten and was born with several disorders, including dwarfism.

Mr Bridavsky said she helped raise more than $700,000 (£540,000) for animal charities during her lifetime.

"Bub has made a huge difference in the world of animal welfare, and in the lives of millions of people worldwide," a post on Instagram said.

Lil Bub found online fame because of her unique appearance. Her feline dwarfism meant she stayed kitten-sized throughout her life.

She was also polydactyl, with an extra toe on each paw, and had an underdeveloped jaw and no teeth which caused her tongue to always hang out.

Skip Instagram post by iamlilbub
    End of Instagram post by iamlilbub
    Mr Bridavsky originally adopted Lil Bub as the "runt" of a litter of kittens found by a friend inside a tool-shed in Indiana.

In an interview, he described her "one of nature's happiest accidents" and insisted she lived a happy, healthy life despite her various health issues.

The world's most famous pets
    The man who watches thousands of cat videos
    How cats won the internet
    He created a Tumblr blog for the cat in 2011 and she went viral after photographs of her ended up on the front page of discussion website Reddit.

The attention led to news articles about her and invitations to appear on US television programmes.

Lil Bub went on to gain endorsement deals, merchandise lines and even her own YouTube show and documentary series.

Her owner used her fame to raise money for charity, including help for other cats with special needs through the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Before her death, Lil Bub had been suffering from a bone infection which her owner had been sharing updates about to her 2.4m Instagram followers.

Mr Bridavsky announced on Monday that she had unexpectedly died in her sleep on Sunday morning.

Skip Instagram post 2 by iamlilbub
    End of Instagram post 2 by iamlilbub
    The owner said his cat had "spread a message of determination, positivity, and perseverance to people all over the world" during her life.

Tens of thousands of people have commented and shared the online posts announcing the cat's death.

Among those responding on Facebook - where she had more than three million followers - were people who work for animal charities which have benefited from the funds raised by Lil Bub's owner in his cat's name.

Lil Bub's death comes seven months after the death of Grumpy Cat, another feline internet legend.

sad day. He gave her the best life she could have, just glad someone was kind and patient enough to take care of her.

Rip love the video with him chilling by a fireplace.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    For a second I thought it was the dog Mr.Bubz. The Church of Mr Bubz to be exact.
    Best dog on the internet.

Well, people won't stop keeping highly deformed pups/kittens alive in the hopes of scoring big across social media platforms, so soon there'll be another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We plan to buy from a breeder. We want a puppy and we want to know the parents have gone through the genetic testing, etc.
    If more people took as much care with where they get their dog from as you do, there'd be no shelter dogs. <3
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-12-04 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Jesus Christ... Unfuckingbelievable...
    Lol what's more believable: the two women who like smaller dogs or the opinion of a person with a specific breed hatred...

I don't hate the breed. They are piss poor victims of severy misguided human vanity. Anyone with any shred of decency would not support breeders that purposefully force sick-at-birth animals. The only respectful thing - if you must have a pug - is to take a shelter dog. That way it at least has a small chance of having a somewhat happy life, as it was brought to life anyways at that point already.
    Anyone supporting abomination breeders has severe mental and personal issues. This isn't limited to pugs either. Any "breed" that is defined by outright misshapen bodies to the point where it limits vital functions, animal specific behaviour or is prone to needing clinical care prematurely should be banned. This is bottom of the line disgusting and speaks volumes about those taking part in or defending it. I have not a shred of respect for such filth.
    Agreed. Brachycephalic dogs should stop being bred.

Thank god, hopefully people stop breeding inbred crap that looks ugly as hell.

Jesus Christ... Unfuckingbelievable...
    Calm your outrage, you ain't impressing anyone.

People like you seem to be so emotional that you cannot grasp a very simple fact: These breeds will not be allowed to die out. They'll keep being bred, they'll keep being bought. If not by reputable breeders, then by backyard breeders (aka the ones behind most shelter dogs as they sell puppies cheap to anyone that comes knocking).

If everyone adopted your screeching attitude, void of sense and substance, nothing would be accomplished. Meanwhile, breed clubs have a duty to ensure that they breed healthy individuals. This has changed a lot in the past 10 years, and can only CONTINUE to change for the better if people keep putting pressure on the breeders whilst at the same time creating a market for these dogs where you're willing to pay premium for dogs that have documented history and health. At this point, there's more and more talks of opening up breed books and standards to allow for outbreeding for X generations, to improve the genetical health and strength of the breeds in the long run. Something that couldn't happen if everyone just spouts the buzzphrase "If u haf ta get a dog, get a shelter one hurr!"...
    Hell, some of us don't even live in countries that share the problems of the US. The biggest shelter in my country at this moment, has 25 dogs up for adoption. And they'll all find homes, no problem. So if I'd wanna do the right thing as I buy a dog, I'd go for a purebred dog from a registered breeder that obeys under the laws and regulations set. Simple.

People have a right to choose for themselves, and it's far preferable that they choose reputable breeders placing value on health and mentality if they're getting a puppy. And just as how there's no such thing as "every mutt is a healthy dog", there's no such thing as "every purebred dog is an unhealthy dog". Absolutes are nice in arguments based on hyperbole, but seldom lead to anything productive in complex issues.

Enjoy your vacation though, well deserved, as always.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-12-04 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    Lol what's more believable: the two women who like smaller dogs or the opinion of a person with a specific breed hatred...
    Hating the breed is one thing, hating how the designer dog industry affects their standards of living is another. Would you be OK if parents intentionally deformed their child (before birth) because they'd prefer the look? That's effectively what many of these breeds are, deformed to look a certain way.

OT: RIP, she died too early for a cat.
    Last edited by kail; 2019-12-04 at 09:54 PM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I don't hate the breed. They are piss poor victims of severy misguided human vanity. Anyone with any shred of decency would not support breeders that purposefully force sick-at-birth animals. The only respectful thing - if you must have a pug - is to take a shelter dog. That way it at least has a small chance of having a somewhat happy life, as it was brought to life anyways at that point already.
    Anyone supporting abomination breeders has severe mental and personal issues. This isn't limited to pugs either. Any "breed" that is defined by outright misshapen bodies to the point where it limits vital functions, animal specific behaviour or is prone to needing clinical care prematurely should be banned. This is bottom of the line disgusting and speaks volumes about those taking part in or defending it. I have not a shred of respect for such filth.
    [Infraction]
    Why should everyone be forced to get a shelter dog? Not everyone wants a dog that might act out or hurt others due to past trauma especially if they have a multi-million dollar home. Our pug is adorable and is a great addition to our family. She gets walks, can sleep on a comfy pillow, eats our leftover meat/eggs, and doesn't have any real issues.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-12-04 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Calm your outrage, you ain't impressing anyone.

People like you seem to be so emotional that you cannot grasp a very simple fact: These breeds will not be allowed to die out. They'll keep being bred, they'll keep being bought. If not by reputable breeders, then by backyard breeders (aka the ones behind most shelter dogs as they sell puppies cheap to anyone that comes knocking).

If everyone adopted your screeching attitude, void of sense and substance, nothing would be accomplished. Meanwhile, breed clubs have a duty to ensure that they breed healthy individuals. This has changed a lot in the past 10 years, and can only CONTINUE to change for the better if people keep putting pressure on the breeders whilst at the same time creating a market for these dogs where you're willing to pay premium for dogs that have documented history and health. At this point, there's more and more talks of opening up breed books and standards to allow for outbreeding for X generations, to improve the genetical health and strength of the breeds in the long run. Something that couldn't happen if everyone just spouts the buzzphrase "If u haf ta get a dog, get a shelter one hurr!"...
    Hell, some of us don't even live in countries that share the problems of the US. The biggest shelter in my country at this moment, has 25 dogs up for adoption. And they'll all find homes, no problem. So if I'd wanna do the right thing as I buy a dog, I'd go for a purebred dog from a registered breeder that obeys under the laws and regulations set. Simple.

People have a right to choose for themselves, and it's far preferable that they choose reputable breeders placing value on health and mentality if they're getting a puppy. And just as how there's no such thing as "every mutt is a healthy dog", there's no such thing as "every purebred dog is an unhealthy dog". Absolutes are nice in arguments based on hyperbole, but seldom lead to anything productive in complex issues.

Enjoy your vacation though, well deserved, as always.
    If people didn't buy these dogs they wouldn't be bred. By buying them you are directly perpetuating the problem. I am not super knowledgeable about how much lower the quality of life is for these dogs vs the average breed, but what I know it is enough to discourage me from buying one.

As for the whole shelter thing I agree. People judging others who buy from breeders are obnoxious. My family had 3 dogs growing up 2 purebreds and a mutt from a shelter, the mutt and one purebred lived long happy lives and the other purebred is 8+ now. That son of a bitch probably eats better than me too lol, all my parents feed him is raw food (veggies, raw chicken, crushed eggshells, fruit etc). They are exemplary pet owners yet some people would say that somehow they are culpable for animal abuse/euthanizing dogs etc lol.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by INVASMANIXOXOXO View Post
    If people didn't buy these dogs they wouldn't be bred. By buying them you are directly perpetuating the problem. I am not super knowledgeable about how much lower the quality of life is for these dogs vs the average breed, but what I know it is enough to discourage me from buying one.

As for the whole shelter thing I agree. People judging others who buy from breeders are obnoxious. My family had 3 dogs growing up 2 purebreds and a mutt from a shelter, the mutt and one purebred lived long happy lives and the other purebred is 8+ now. That son of a bitch probably eats better than me too lol, all my parents feed him is raw food (veggies, raw chicken, crushed eggshells, fruit etc). They are exemplary pet owners yet some people would say that somehow they are culpable for animal abuse/euthanizing dogs etc lol.
    For every person not buying, there's another one willing.. I've never met a single registered breeder in my entire life (and I've been around) that's turned profit from their work with the breed. They do it out of love and care for the breed, and for the community in the dog world. Maybe it's different in the US where there's a larger pool of customers, but respectable breeders turning a profit ain't a bad thing.

There will never be such a time where nobody's buying and nobody's loving X dog breed, so it's downright redundant as an argument.

As such, buyers placing demands on the breeders, and the breeders having to follow strict rules on how they breed, and show judges being excluded if they pick unhealthy dogs as winners, is the way forward towards healthier stock.
    Whenever there are people saying that everyone should get a shelter dog, those same people tend to consider ALL purebred puppy purchases to be unethical. No matter what the breed. Many breeds actually have lower insurance rates because they're healthier overall than mutts. I'm myself considering such a breed, the Finnish Lapphund. It's my second favourite breed after the Rottweiler, but my health is so unpredictable that I'm not sure I could give a Rottie what it deserves...

Your parents sound like the exact kind of dog parents that every dog deserves. <3
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-12-05 at 01:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    [Infraction]
    Years ago i BADLY wanted a pug as my first dog,but after hearing em and reading about their health issues, i decided against it and want another kind of dog, one that dosnt need fucking surgery to live a long and happy life.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Just further proof that pugs are a breed of intentional retards.
    was this dude really banned for using the word Retard? Overzealous mods if so, and RIP Lil Bub God Almighty Bless your soul.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Why should everyone be forced to get a shelter dog? Not everyone wants a dog that might act out or hurt others due to past trauma especially if they have a multi-million dollar home. Our pug is adorable and is a great addition to our family. She gets walks, can sleep on a comfy pillow, eats our leftover meat/eggs, and doesn't have any real issues.
    You ever really look at its face? The original one was a dead end, God's mistake. You must also love pit bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrytheinternetguy View Post
    was this dude really banned for using the word Retard? Overzealous mods

- - - Updated - - -

You ever really look at its face? The original one was a dead end, God's mistake. You must also love pit bulls.
    Man we should just kill all autistic kids because they are so worthless am I right? /s

Just because a breed has problems doesnt mean they should be wiped from the planet. Golden retrievers get hip problems and then struggle to walk. Should we ban Golden retrievers?

Man we should just kill all autistic kids because they are so worthless am I right? /s

Just because a breed has problems doesnt mean they should be wiped from the planet. Golden retrievers get hip problems and then struggle to walk. Should we ban Golden retrievers?
    Would you be OK if we had the capability of making kids born with autism and parents doing as such? People that have a genetic defect is often them drawing a short straw from their parents DNA. With dog breeds, it's all intentional.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

not even a remotely comparable situation. this is intentional, and it effectively amounts to torture, given the health problems inherent to brachycephaly. it really should be illegal to breed deformities like this into animals. scottish fold cats, kinky haired cats, even short tailed cats, brachycephaly in dogs and cats, anything.

i think the most abhorrent thing i've seen so far are toadline pitbulls. takes a special form of sadism to do this to a creature, and it should be as every bit illegal as any other form of torture.

as to the op, it's sad to hear though. a lot of the old lolcats are dying off. guess it's just the natural way of things, hope she at least didn't feel pain in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    not even a remotely comparable situation. this is intentional, and it effectively amounts to torture, given the health problems inherent to brachycephaly. it really should be illegal to breed deformities like this into animals. scottish fold cats, kinky haired cats, even short tailed cats, brachycephaly in dogs and cats, anything.

i think the most abhorrent thing i've seen so far are toadline pitbulls. takes a special form of sadism to do this to a creature, and it should be as every bit illegal as any other form of torture.

as to the op, it's sad to hear though. a lot of the old lolcats are dying off. guess it's just the natural way of things, hope she at least didn't feel pain in the end.
    I just looked up what a toadline pitbull is. i am hoping that those photos are fake. Those poor dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    When we get our next pug, we’ll also get him the nasal surgery to make his nostrils wider, as we did with Holly. It seems to help
    Well that's something. I think the other posters were mainly freaking out because if you buy an inbred dog with built-in serious medical conditions you're basically endorsing the continued proliferation of their painful deformities. Mutt dogs tend to be healthier due to less inbreeding and we've got plenty of 'em to go around.

To the thread's topic, L'il Bub was one adorable cat, but let's hope people don't get the misguided idea that the cute facial deformity should be bred for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    Thank god, hopefully people stop breeding inbred crap that looks ugly as hell.
    I think there's an incredibly important distinction between taking in a stray that has this laundry list of unfortunate mutations and giving it all the love it deserves vs. taking it in and deciding "these will sell like hotcakes!" and making the cat breed for the rest of its life to bring in more cats with no teeth, dwarfism, bulging eyes, and extra toes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.