Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The time jumps in the OT weren't apparent in those films, either.

So we're back to double standards.

They are apparent. Time moves forward at both the beginning of the 2nd and 3rd movies as well as during. Just because no one states it (unlike TLJ being locked down) doesn't mean a realtively intelligent viewer can't make the correct assumption.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I mean...how long do you imagine it took Finn to recover from having his back fucked up by Kylo?
    From the narative timeline present in the movie a few hours it seems.
    Last edited by cyberglum; 2019-12-04 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    TLJ doesn’t take place right after TFA there is a time jump of Atleast a few days if not a few weeks. Rey continues from where she was at the end of TFA But no one else does it’s likely she was with Luke for a week at least.
    No, this is wrong. Battlefront 2 spoiler: The Star Wars Battlefront 2 Campaign has you infiltrate a First Order Star Destroyer to steal the plans to the Dreadnought. You sabotage the ship's hyperdrive, which makes the ship emerge from hyperspace near Starkiller base. You witness its destruction, then escape in a stolen TIE/SF to D'Quar, where you are denied permission to land because they are already in the process of evacuating. There are hours inbetween TFA and TLJ at best.

Video reference. Spoiler, of course.

Edit: Wrong TIE.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2019-12-04 at 03:06 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    That is not apparent in the movie, and Rey and Kylo's psychic chats seem to link the time-lines pretty well.
    The movie never gives a time line nor does Rey and kylo’s chats as they never stare the time or even where they are or what they are doing when they take place. The movie shows that Rey/Luke go though a few day night cycles, the phasma comic that came out before TLJ has her hunting a first order officer for a few day’s before meeting up with the fleet again pre any chase or even attack on the rebels and then even a Rey comic that shows she didn’t go straight to Luke at the end of TFA and stops to deal with some trash monster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    No, this is wrong. Battlefront 2 spoiler: The Star Wars Battlefront 2 Campaign has you infiltrate a First Order Star Destroyer to steal the plans to the Dreadnought. You sabotage the ship's hyperdrive, which makes the ship emerge from hyperspace near Starkiller base. You witness its destruction, then escape in a stolen TIE/SF to D'Quar, where you are denied permission to land because they are already in the process of evacuating. There are hours inbetween TFA and TLJ at best.

Video reference. Spoiler, of course.

Edit: Wrong TIE.
    After watching the video it seems like you are assuming no time has passed as the game just does a cut from them sending a message to them getting to the base. The message they sent isn’t even brought which you think it would be if it was sent right before they come in system.

So the time frame of the phasma/Rey comic still stands with this.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2019-12-04 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Don't you own a BluRay or a digital version? Go watch the movie, pay attention this time around.

Ships use hyperdrives to create a tunnel into Hyperspace. It doesn't need to be a part of the ship. But it would be a waste to leave it behind and lose the ability to go back or anywhere else, well unless it's part of a Space Station that fires its weapon thru hyperspace. Weapon projectiles do not need hyperdrives to be part of them - unless they are so advanced that they should be able to reenter hyperspace at will.

Says who? The light it was emitting is traveling at the speed of light (perpendicularly to the observers), the vastness of space (remember?) the beam traveled allowed plenty of time to see it, even at FTL speed, it's not THAT fast.

The ships are not light sources - they are light reflectors. The energy beam is a light source. Physics, I know. Even though we are talking hyperspace, not reality. IN SW universe you can see a beam of energy traveling thru hyperspace - there is not a single law of physics that prevents it without preventing hyperspace. if you accept hyperspace - accept the light.

There's no drag in space. Momentum is conserved indefinitely in the vacuum of space. Only gravity and magnetic fields can affect the trajectory and momentum.

A laser is literally light. The L in L.A.S.E.R. is for LIGHT.

Oh, you are one of those "why blaster fire travels so slow, isn't it laser?"

Yeah, you just need a pocket Star to power it. How dumb. But people still don't get it.

It's kinda frozen. Why wouldn't it have outside light? You don't get blinded if you use eye protection, like a First Order helmet. There are limits but you are not anywhere near them.
    Ah! I knew there was a catch! Yeah, i'm afraid i'm not gonna continue to entertain this nonsense. You obviously don't know enough science for this argument.

- - - Updated - - -

snip this salad
    And i'm also done with you. You never managed to refute a single point and keep tap dancing and trying to twist what i'm saying. You want to just roll with it. Good for you! The denial is strong in you! If you guys think i'm gonna make 20 quote trees for you and waste my time on people who don't listen or know what they are talking about, you got something else coming. I got better things to do. Keep being a snowflake. I guess it's amusing, even if sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    After watching the video it seems like you are assuming no time has passed as the game just does a cut from them sending a message to them getting to the base. The message they sent isn’t even brought which you think it would be if it was sent right before they come in system.

Ah, so Shiv and Zey went on a fishing trip after they escaped the Star Destroyer. Got it. In case you haven't played the game, Shiv, while being a cynic, has a very strong sense of duty. It stands to reason they went directly from the destruction of Starkiller Base to the evacuation in D'Quar.

We have conflicting informations once more, it seems. Not that that is anything new in Star Wars. Holdo tells us that they have 18 hours of fuel left, but within these 18 hours, the planet Rey is on goes through two night cycles.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Ah! I knew there was a catch! Yeah, i'm afraid i'm not gonna continue to entertain this nonsense. You obviously don't know enough science for this argument.

- - - Updated - - -

And i'm also done with you. You never managed to refute a single point and keep tap dancing and trying to twist what i'm saying. You want to just roll with it. Good for you! The denial is strong in you! If you guys think i'm gonna make 20 quote trees for you and waste my time on people who don't listen or know what they are talking about, you got something else coming. I got better things to do. Keep being a snowflake. I guess it's amusing, even if sad.
    That’s one way to say “my fanfic is refuted by the actual movies/universe so I’m running away”.

That’s one way to say “my fanfic is refuted by the actual movies/universe so I’m running away”.
    Nothing was refuted. These people are unreasonably trying to steal more of my time than they are worth it when nothing will change their skewed opinions. You are wrong and refusing to admit it.
    I don't need you to agree with me, cause it's something the vast majority of fans agrees with. You are special snowflake, is all.

Actually, the fact you think an argument is won by who leaves first tells everything eh?
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-12-04 at 04:05 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Ah, so Shiv and Zey went on a fishing trip after they escaped the Star Destroyer. Got it. In case you haven't played the game, Shiv, while being a cynic, has a very strong sense of duty. It stands to reason they went directly from the destruction of Starkiller Base to the evacuation in D'Quar.

We have conflicting informations once more, it seems. Not that that is anything new in Star Wars. Holdo tells us that they have 18 hours of fuel left, but within these 18 hours, the planet Rey is on goes through two night cycles.
    Doesn’t have to be a fishing trip could have stopped for something else like Rey did on her way to Luke.

It’s also not really conflicting it’s just off screen passages of time none of the movies have shown every second or even day that passes. We know of Atlest a few days between the two movies and we know Rey spend a few days with Luke, any thing like the movies happen right after each other or that Rey only spends the time of the chase with Luke are just assumptions.

I’m pretty sure empire did the same thing with Luke leaving for yoda’s swamp and Han/leia going to cloud city, id guess luke didn’t only spend the short amount of time the others were in cloud city with yoda and then mange to fight Vader/force jump.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Nothing was refuted. These people are unreasonably trying to steal more of my time than they are worth it when nothing will change their skewed opinions. You are wrong and refusing to admit it.
    I don't need you to agree with me, cause it's something the vast majority of fans agrees with. You are special snowflake, is all.

Actually, the fact you think an argument is won by who leaves first tells everything eh?
    You seem to be projecting A whole lot.

I pointed to multiple examples from the other movies and other sources of lore that prove your fan fic wrong. When confronted with said examples you run away or I guess I should say you melt away as that’s another projection.

But no running away when presented with something concrete tottaly makes you a winner.

The movie never gives a time line nor does Rey and kylo’s chats as they never stare the time or even where they are or what they are doing when they take place. The movie shows that Rey/Luke go though a few day night cycles, the phasma comic that came out before TLJ has her hunting a first order officer for a few day’s before meeting up with the fleet again pre any chase or even attack on the rebels and then even a Rey comic that shows she didn’t go straight to Luke at the end of TFA and stops to deal with some trash monster.

- - - Updated - - -

Your argument that some comics make this a good movie is absurd. Out of the millions of film goers who saw the movie only a few read those comics and I'm sure sat there, nodding knowingly that the jumbled, nonsensical movie they were watching ACTUALLY makes sense while everyone around then was thinking "Wait a sec...?"

As a narative choice, locking themselves into a shot period of time that the film focused on was a mistake and to this day we have people jumping through hoops to justify the story.

Focusing on an 18 hour period in a franchise which traditionally has a sweeping, galaxy-wide story to tell was a poor choice.
    Last edited by cyberglum; 2019-12-04 at 04:28 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your argument that some comics make this a good movie is absurd. Out of the millions of film goers who saw the movie only a few read those comics and I'm sure sat there, nodding knowingly that the jumbled, nonsensical movie they were watching ACTUALLY makes sense while everyone around then was thinking "Wait a sec...?"

As a narative choice, locking themselves into a shot period of time that the film focused on was a mistake and to this day we have people jumping through hoops to justify the story.

Focusing on an 18 hour period in a franchise which traditionally has a sweeping, galaxy-wide story to tell was a poor choice.
    I never said it was a good movie as I don’t think it is one, it’s a movie with stuff I like (every thing with Luke and kylo) but most of the run time is stuff I don’t care for with characters that are so one note that the droids have more personality.

I like Starwars like a whole lot and even if I don’t think the movie is good I like correcting stuff people get wrong about it’s events. If you want to say Rey/poe/Finn/any one who’s not kylo, is an awful character or that TLJ is filled with garbage for most of its runtime i comply agree.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Horses don't have weapons, but cavalry existed nonetheless. Humans come with these wonderful features called "hands."

For whatever reason, I always remembered that line as "with my T-16" and just assumed it was a weapon he was talking about...not a vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I thought he was literally leaning out of his speeder with a rifle, shooting womp rats.

Cause, yanno, I'm actually from a place where people hunt, to the point where we got the first day of hunting season off every school year, and the bed of a pickup truck was often a great place to set up.

But, yanno, I guess you knew that as a rural guy, and that shooting 2 meter big animals from a low-atmosphere plane is literally dumb, and something you only do for like, bears in Alaska or something. Edit: And even then, you shoot them from helicoptors, which can be easily stationary in the air, not from planes.
    But in the context of the scene they are about to shoot shit with ships...... If your buddies are planning to shingle a roof and one complains that its going to take a week do you then go up and tell them "This will only take a couple minutes since it only takes me 10 minutes to build a bird house." ? No you wouldn't because the situations are completely different even though both involve using nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    A source for the fact that the information you're conveying was not presented in the first Star Wars movie? Go... watch the movie?
    No the source for you saying they were haunted with shit they left out.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2019-12-04 at 05:38 PM.

Odd all of my “vintage action figures” are just fine, I wonder if it has something to do with making up elaborate fan fic based on rose tinted glasses.
    Yeah, you're lucky. I have the Luke Skywalker action figure, the profile used to say, "Hero of the Republic. Optimistic. Brave. Would do anything to help his friends in need. Proud member of the Jedi Order". That action figure got retconned to now say, "Grumpy old man who no longer cares about anyone. Doesn't really care about the force anymore and shows disdain towards the Jedi Order"

My Han figure used to say, "Scruffy looking nerf-herder/scoundrel, with a heart of gold". Now just says, "Grumpy old man".

- - - Updated - - -

This section of ESB script is pretty clever in respect to giving the storytellers a nebulous time period to play with. I always assumed it took the Falcon "a few weeks" to fly from the asteroid field to Bespin. While not a huge amount of time its reasonably long enough for Luke to learn some of the basics of Master Yoda's teachings.

It's certainly more than the handful of hours Rey spends with Luke during TLJ time-line.

RJ really should not have gone with a movie which started moments after the first movie finished and focused on the following 12 hour period.

But hey, it defied our expectations and that's all that mattered!
    Yeah, I think we were expected to assume it was a few weeks, but there's no way that's possible. The "asteroid belt" was just beyond Hoth, but still in the Hoth System. (like the asteroid belt that's just beyond Mars in ours). Bespin is in a different solar system. And the whole thing with the Falcon was they could not go to Lightspeed/Hyperspace. So even if their stars are relatively close, both being in the Anoat Sector, it would still take much longer than a few weeks.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Yeah, you're lucky. I have the Luke Skywalker action figure, the profile used to say, "Hero of the Republic. Optimistic. Brave. Would do anything to help his friends in need. Proud member of the Jedi Order". That action figure got retconned to now say, "Grumpy old man who no longer cares about anyone. Doesn't really care about the force anymore and shows disdain towards the Jedi Order"

My Han figure used to say, "Scruffy looking nerf-herder/scoundrel, with a heart of gold". Now just says, "Grumpy old man".
    It really is a shame when action figure grow and develop isn’t it if only they could stay teens/young adults forever.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    No the source for you saying they were haunted with shit they left out.
    I read virtually everything in what's now called legends, and yeah, a lot of time was given over to plugging plot holes.

Here's a small example, related to this discussion. Alan Dean Foster wrote the novelization for the first Star Wars movie based on the original script. (Not the film, as there are some subtle differences - for instance in the novel you won't get any sense that Tarkin was on the verge of destroying Yavin when Luke saved the day; this is because that wasn't in the script at all and was cleverly cobbled together by the editors). In the script Luke's suitability as a fighter pilot is handwaved away by his experience as a bush pilot and the fact that his father was good. In the novelization, Foster adds a couple of lines about how Red Leader has logged many hours in a t-sixteen sim and the control scheme is basically the same as that of an X-Wing. He clearly added this to paste over a small plot hole. Given the conversation so far, I assume you'll disagree, which is fine - this is absolutely speculation on my part, but to me its about as speculative as an ancient person inferring that rain comes from clouds.

The conversation started about whether or not Rey was a Mary Sue. Whether she is or isn't is perhaps debatable (I think it's far more reasonable to say she has main-character-itis, a Mary Sue is something much more pronounced), but whatever she is, is roughly equivalent to Luke. They both accomplish highly improbable feats, are more skilled at combat and piloting than we should expect, and have little on-screen experience supporting their skills. It's pretty easy to explain away both - you've done an admirable job in explaining where Luke's skills may have come from, and others have done similarly for Rey. The minutiae can be debated endlessly, but the shape of the two characters is basically the same. Where they differ is because the audience expectation has changed, the market has changed, and Star Wars isn't an original idea, it's a well-explored idea, so the n00b Jedi has to have more recognizable Jedi abilities or many of us get bored.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I think we were expected to assume it was a few weeks, but there's no way that's possible. The "asteroid belt" was just beyond Hoth, but still in the Hoth System. (like the asteroid belt that's just beyond Mars in ours). Bespin is in a different solar system. And the whole thing with the Falcon was they could not go to Lightspeed/Hyperspace. So even if their stars are relatively close, both being in the Anoat Sector, it would still take much longer than a few weeks.
    Yeah, George and the writers of those films had at least as bad an understanding of space as the writers of the new films.

TLJ doesn’t take place right after TFA there is a time jump of Atleast a few days if not a few weeks. Rey continues from where she was at the end of TFA But no one else does it’s likely she was with Luke for a week at least.
    There is no indication of a time jump, so that is your opinion/speculation. The only time reference we have is that Rey and Luke pick up exactly where they left off in Ep 7, so as to imply there is no time jump.

One more thing Rian Johnson leaves up to Fan Fiction to settle the details because he couldn't be bothered with explaining it in the movie. This is all we have to explain the amount of time between 7 and 8.

"...Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy.
    ...the Resistance has been exposed. As the First Order speeds toward the rebel base, the brave heroes mount a desperate escape...."

This leads me to believe the attack on Starkiller Base allowed the FO to back track the Resistance Base, and the only time gap is how long it took Rey to travel to Luke and the FO to travel to the Resistance Base.

- - - Updated - - -

It really is a shame when action figure grow and develop isn’t it if only they could stay teens/young adults forever.
    Yeah. And the fact that someone who had nothing to do with their creation would be allowed to completely retconn them while the story is still in the middle of being told.

Staffer: "Mr Johnson, do you have plans for the character development for the old fan favorites to show their character growth?"
    Rian: "ummm....good question. How about just write, 'everyone turns to sh*t'. That should be enough explanation".
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2019-12-04 at 08:33 PM.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

7+ Year Old Account
    There is no indication of a time jump, so that is your opinion/speculation. The only time reference we have is that Rey and Luke pick up exactly where they left off in Ep 7, so as to imply there is no time jump.

One more thing Rian Johnson leaves up to Fan Fiction to settle the details because he couldn't be bothered with explaining it in the movie. This is all we have to explain the amount of time between 7 and 8.

"...Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy.
    ...the Resistance has been exposed. As the First Order speeds toward the rebel base, the brave heroes mount a desperate escape...."

This leads me to believe the attack on Starkiller Base allowed the FO to back track the Resistance Base, and the only time gap is how long it took Rey to travel to Luke and the FO to travel to the Resistance Base.
    It’s not opinion/speculation, the phasma comic starts as Starkiller is exploding it takes her a couple of days to find the person she’s after and kill them, afterwords she goes back to the fleet who has yet to attack the rebels and is getting ready.

Then there’s The age of residence Rey comic that came out recently that shows Rey stop on her way to Luke to deal with a trash monster.

I agree that it’s done poorly in the movie but there is a time jump of atleast a few days then Rey has a few day night cycles with Luke.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. And the fact that someone who had nothing to do with their creation would be allowed to completely retconn them while the story is still in the middle of being told.
    Well it sure is a good thing they neither were retconned then as both are sensible professions of there characters.

- - - Updated - - -

Went ahead and dug though the phasma comic to try and see if they say how many days it took as I couldn’t remember and it looks like it’s 4 days before she rejoins the first order and they are getting ready to attack the rebels.

It’s not opinion/speculation, the phasma comic starts as Starkiller is exploding it takes her a couple of days to find the person she’s after and kill them, afterwords she goes back to the fleet who has yet to attack the rebels and is getting ready.

Then there’s The age of residence Rey comic that came out recently that shows Rey stop on her way to Luke to deal with a trash monster.

I agree that it’s done poorly in the movie but there is a time jump of atleast a few days then Rey has a few day night cycles with Luke.
    I don't mind when things are explained in the expanded universe. The problem I run into is when the movie leads to false inference. So I can agree that the time gap was poorly handled in the movie, while accepting their was a gap as explained in the EU.

For a little clarification, I never had a problem with the abilities Rey shows in TFA. The whole "Mary Sue" thing never occurred to me. Her force abilities and mechanical abilities are easily explained/justified in my head canon. (as I explained a page or so back). The issue I have with Rey in TLJ is that her time with Luke is almost completely meaningless. She learns nothing from Luke, she learns nothing from the dark portally thing, then she goes off and bests Luke and easily handles the rock lift at the end of the movie, which doesn't jive with what we've seen from Luke's training.

And you can't explain away Rey had more training between movies. Luke was in Dagobah for a long time. At minimum it was months. Rey maybe had days of training?...of which the movie shows us nothing. So Rey's training had to come from another time.

Well it sure is a good thing they neither were retconned then as both are sensible professions of there characters.
    Mark Hamill would beg to disagree.

"I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he's 'Jake Skywalker,' he's not my Luke Skywalker. But I had to do what Rian wanted me to do"
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2019-12-04 at 09:52 PM.

~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    That's because there was no vision for this trilogy that was pushed. The Force Awakens was J.J. Abrams being rather lazy and simply retooling A New Hope for a modern audience. It was done well enough, but didn't tread new ground (and was criticized by many for it).

The Last Jedi was done by Rian Johnson who was given no vision as to where things were supposed to be headed. While Kathleen Kennedy has a wonderful resume, she either provided very little leadership or ideas to those projects herself, or decided to turn traitor to George Lucas who put in in the position to convey and control the story of this trilogy. As a result, we have a very divisive movie (which I personally get a chuckle out of...*so* many people who complained how The Force Awakens didn't add anything new are up in arms because The Last Jedi went somewhere new).

Now J.J. Abrams is back at bat and given an impossible task...make this last of the trilogy please everyone. Again, Kathleen Kennedy is likely failing at the one task George Lucas had for her (maintain the vision of the trilogy). I'm guessing based on what I'm seeing from the trailers that this last movie will be a spectacle that will not make a lot of sense plot wise...perhaps even less sense than Star Trek (2009). As it stands, I'm very uncertain if I'll see this one in the theater (I've seen all Star Wars movies in a theater to date). In fact, I'll let a few characters from Star Wars summarize my concerns of this last film:

TFA was enjoyable at the time, but TLJ was that bad it brought all the flaws in TFA to the forefront and now it's rubbish to me. This will be the first major Star Wars movie (not including Solo) i skip or wait till I can find a decent copy. The trailer confirmed to me to give it a hard pass.

Either way, I'm just treating this new trilogy as non-canon. It has no bearing on the original + prequels

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    I read virtually everything in what's now called legends, and yeah, a lot of time was given over to plugging plot holes.

Here's a small example, related to this discussion. Alan Dean Foster wrote the novelization for the first Star Wars movie based on the original script. (Not the film, as there are some subtle differences - for instance in the novel you won't get any sense that Tarkin was on the verge of destroying Yavin when Luke saved the day; this is because that wasn't in the script at all and was cleverly cobbled together by the editors). In the script Luke's suitability as a fighter pilot is handwaved away by his experience as a bush pilot and the fact that his father was good. In the novelization, Foster adds a couple of lines about how Red Leader has logged many hours in a t-sixteen sim and the control scheme is basically the same as that of an X-Wing. He clearly added this to paste over a small plot hole. Given the conversation so far, I assume you'll disagree, which is fine - this is absolutely speculation on my part, but to me its about as speculative as an ancient person inferring that rain comes from clouds.

The conversation started about whether or not Rey was a Mary Sue. Whether she is or isn't is perhaps debatable (I think it's far more reasonable to say she has main-character-itis, a Mary Sue is something much more pronounced), but whatever she is, is roughly equivalent to Luke. They both accomplish highly improbable feats, are more skilled at combat and piloting than we should expect, and have little on-screen experience supporting their skills. It's pretty easy to explain away both - you've done an admirable job in explaining where Luke's skills may have come from, and others have done similarly for Rey. The minutiae can be debated endlessly, but the shape of the two characters is basically the same. Where they differ is because the audience expectation has changed, the market has changed, and Star Wars isn't an original idea, it's a well-explored idea, so the n00b Jedi has to have more recognizable Jedi abilities or many of us get bored.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, George and the writers of those films had at least as bad an understanding of space as the writers of the new films.
    Every movie goes off script a bit or changes stuff in editing to make it flow better or make sense. No one person can create a perfect book,film,etc.... And of course a book is going to go into more detail and add shit how else are they going to get more then 60 pages without going into minute detail about the look and texture of the protagonists ear wax? There is plenty of actual evidence of the stuff George Lucas wasn't satisfied with when he changed it in remasters and stuff so its pretty silly to say it's a mistake when as far as I'm aware he didn't add a scene of Luke practicing in his t-16 shooting womp rats.

Personally I don't think Rey is a Mary Sue in the context of the movies she was created in. JJ "improved" everything in his film like the super deathstar, Maz being even older than yoda and quirkier, bb-8 being smaller and cuter than R2, the resistance being even more worse off, Rey being poorer and worse off than Luke, Chroming up Phasma, etc.... Sure Rey is the best scavenger, pilot, mechanic,(and eventually force user) that Jakku has ever seen may look like her being a Mary Sue but when you see all the other shit JJ crapped out then she just looks like a normal character in his film.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind when things are explained in the expanded universe. The problem I run into is when the movie leads to false inference. So I can agree that the time gap was poorly handled in the movie, while accepting their was a gap as explained in the EU.

For a little clarification, I never had a problem with the abilities Rey shows in TFA. The whole "Mary Sue" thing never occurred to me. Her force abilities and mechanical abilities are easily explained/justified in my head canon. (as I explained a page or so back). The issue I have with Rey in TLJ is that her time with Luke is almost completely meaningless. She learns nothing from Luke, she learns nothing from the dark portally thing, then she goes off and bests Luke and easily handles the rock lift at the end of the movie, which doesn't jive with what we've seen from Luke's training.

And you can't explain away Rey had more training between movies. Luke was in Dagobah for a long time. At minimum it was months. Rey maybe had days of training?...of which the movie shows us nothing. So Rey's training had to come from another time.
    ya rey's training is pretty non existent but that doesn't really matter when the only thing we have seen her do that a 6 year old padawan doesn't is the mind trick in TFA. other then that nothing he has done has to be learned from luke and force pulling and lifting are the most basic force ability's and the only reason luke had any trouble with them are mental blocks he put up for him self.

Mark Hamill would beg to disagree.

"I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he's 'Jake Skywalker,' he's not my Luke Skywalker. But I had to do what Rian wanted me to do"
    what he thinks is irrelevant he didn't write luke originally he didn't write the EU luke he didn't write the new canon luke movie or eu. he was payed to play a roll and he did it what he thinks about that roll or how the character developed when he wasn't playing it doesn't matter at all.