Poll: Where do you stand?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Through this thing called taxes. If they don't pay then arrest, due process, etc, etc.
    There's one issue, that's not really peaceful, it's subdued force. And, as history has shown, people will only bend so far, and take so much shit... before they resist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    You can't live well on just 1k.
    You cannot live well, but you can live.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would not plan on how you are going to spend that $1000 per month.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Taking 1,000 dollars from a billionaire is like taking half a penny from them.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Taking 1,000 dollars from a billionaire is like taking half a penny from them.
    One problem... it's 1,000 dollars... times 200 million people... per month.

So, how exactly do you expect to fund $2.5 trillion per year?

It's weird how much people seem to suddenly love oppression, when they are oppressing others.

No problem since they own like 25 trillion in wealth...it's fucking ridiculous.
    Fuck 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post

It's weird how much people seem to suddenly love oppression, when they are oppressing others.
    You can look at a few things a progressive income tax, a progressive tax on assets, a VAT among other levels of taxation. Something will have to give at one point regardless for taxation due to the way the debt is currently paced, taxation is not evil nor is it theft. Also the US needs inflation to push the debt and corporate bubbles pushing right along or we will end in a really really really bad situation.

Taxation is the price one pays for a stable society, it is also the mechanism to limit the power of the private citizen can have over the government where they should be the only power brokers in a modern society. This comes back to the idea that one might see oppression where the other sees liberation because you have to force these businesses to spread the wealth and the best way to provide that is heavy taxation as they will likely view it as wasteful going to the government. We have tried 40 years of trickle down stupidity and it is not working and has never worked. Corporations should be taxed at 2 to 3 times that of the citizenry to keep a clamp on them as i said earlier as they can not be trusted to not wallow in a pool of greed.

They even gave it a different term at one point called the Horse and Sparrow theory before fucking cars so please stop. The world needs more unions and more collective powers.

Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    You can look at a few things a progressive income tax, a progressive tax on assets, a VAT among other levels of taxation. Something will have to give at one point regardless for taxation due to the way the debt is currently paced, taxation is not evil nor is it theft. Also the US needs inflation to push the debt and corporate bubbles pushing right along or we will end in a really really really bad situation.

Taxation is the price one pays for a stable society, it is also the mechanism to limit the power of the private citizen can have over the government where they should be the only power brokers in a modern society. This comes back to the idea that one might see oppression where the other sees liberation because you have to force these businesses to spread the wealth and the best way to provide that is heavy taxation as they will likely view it as wasteful going to the government. We have tried 40 years of trickle down stupidity and it is not working and has never worked. Corporations should be taxed at 2 to 3 times that of the citizenry to keep a clamp on them as i said earlier as they can not be trusted to not wallow in a pool of greed.

They even gave it a different term at one point called the Horse and Sparrow theory before fucking cars so please stop. The world needs more unions and more collective powers.
    You can have unions without oppressive government. You can have collective power without punishing the wealthy.

The biggest issue is that many love the idea of taxation, so long as others are the ones being taxed. UBI is crazy expensive, and would be roughly 60% of all the federal tax revenue that is currently generated in this country.

That's a lot of extra money to be taking out of other people's pockets.

Fiscal year 2019 reported a total revenue in the ballpark of 3.4 trillion dollars and if we're using the estimated 2.8 trillion(81%) as the cost of UBI; we are looking at one hell of a tax hike for everyone.

Taxing the wealthy.

The wealthy is worth over 25 trillion.
    They certainly won't miss the money.

Taxing the wealthy.
    Once again, that's selfish, and basically the same shit the Bolsheviks pulls. I'm not a fan of such violence, authoritarianism, and bloodshed.

Luckily, the wealthy will be able to tell you to kick rocks, and make your own money, and not be so damn lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I highly doubt that most wealthy people would agree with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vast majority of that money is not liquid. Anyway, this issue is ultimately just a question of resource allocation. The wealthy often invest in riskier ventures that have potentially greater impacts on society, while those who aren't wealthy will spend more on consumer goods. Those risky ventures are pretty important for technological and logistical development, while consumer goods purchases sort of just feed the existing engines. There has to be a balance of course, but concentration of wealth itself actually has value because it allows one to make decisions that move society forward.

I would be interested to know how things like rent and food prices would change should UBI become reality. My sense is that they would increase and offset at least some of the benefit, because you're fundamentally just increasing demand (larger pool of potential buyers for apartment units in high value areas, for example). Then you'd have a group of people who would use that money to coast instead of working; maybe you'd get an increase in wages for unskilled labor because those jobs become optional? That could be nice; but the ramifications would ripple upwards and probably result in layoffs higher up, or an even more concerted effort to replace those jobs with robots.

I guess it's hard to see exactly where UBI would go. That's why some places actually do the experiment. I don't think those experiments have worked out particularly well so far however.

Once again, that's selfish, and basically the same shit the Bolsheviks pulls. I'm not a fan of such violence, authoritarianism, and bloodshed.

Luckily, the wealthy will be able to tell you to kick rocks, and make your own money, and not be so damn lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

I think UBI is stupid but if the cost for it only comes from the super wealthy then fine gimme me a $1000 a month.

Why do I feel that way? Well the super wealthy have been screwing everyone else over for a long time so I have no issue in them getting screwed over. That's just how shit works.

- - - Updated - - -

What’s selfish is allowing our OWN people veterans, families, single families, and children to starve, suffer and die when we have more than the ability to help them..!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Merely taxing the wealthy isn't enough for an economy to turn into communism. You wouldn't be dealing with bolshevism just because taxes went up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Will they invade the banks and hold them at gun point to hand them their money back?

I feel like you are unaware about how money works nowadays... Even if they would wire their money to off-shore accounts there are these systems called 'recalls' and r-messages. Under certain conditions, such as state issued warrants any money transfers can be undone within 13 months.

In fact the state can legally freeze or take hold of money on anyone's bank account... (something which is done often to people who cant pay fines or damages to the state...)

Thus again there is no need to violently rob people... all it takes is a few mouse clicks... and they can do jackshit about it.
    They can just take their money out of banks, put them in offshore banks, and not even have to worry. They can put that money into art, property, or tangible objects. They can lobby the shit out of politicians so that this travesty never happens.

You are acting as if this mass theft you wish to perpetrate would happen overnight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    I think UBI is stupid but if the cost for it only comes from the super wealthy then fine gimme me a $1000 a month.

Why do I feel that way? Well the super wealthy have been screwing everyone else over for a long time so I have no issue in them getting screwed over. That's just how shit works.
    There's one problem, not all the super wealthy have been screwing everyone over. That's like saying all white people should have their money taken from them, because slavery was a thing 155 years ago.

I had no idea you were such a fan of reparations.

- - - Updated - - -

What’s selfish is allowing our OWN people veterans, families, single families, and children to starve, suffer and die when we have more than the ability to help them..!!
    Great, then give unto yourself to help them. If you think people should be helped, donate to charities. But, you desire to steal money from others to pay for all the shit you want, is far more selfish than anything you believe others are doing. It's about $2.5 trillion a year more selfish.

So, what the fuck are you personally actually doing to help them?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's one issue, that's not really peaceful, it's subdued force. And, as history has shown, people will only bend so far, and take so much shit... before they resist.
    And we use subdued force to enforce our laws. Taxes are among those laws. What good is a law you can't enforce? "Please pay your taxes, it's an honor system!"
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    And we use subdued force to enforce our laws. Taxes are among those laws. What good is a law you can't enforce? "Please pay your taxes, it's an honor system!"
    Like I said, force and violence. Just don't get pissed when the wealthy turn around and push corporatism and force and violence as a defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dansinr View Post
    I get tired of cunts like you say endlessly saying the same shit.

The banks were given 27 trillion fucking dollars. That doesn't include the ongoing subsidies from things like quantitative easing.

You want benefit scroungers? Look at the wealthy.

However many times this is pointed at you scum like you constantly bend down and suck the dick of power and money. You are a pathetic excuse of a human being.
    And your moves are justifying that corporatism, that's the part you don't get. If you want to screw over others to get the money of the wealthy, then you have no cause to complain when some of the wealthy screw you over to get your money.

It's weird how you think supporting individual liberty and limited government makes me a pathetic excuse of a human being. You are the one who is justifying the use of government to take money from others, just because you don't happen to like them.

How are you any different than those banks? So, when those banks screw people over, take their money, get bailouts, they can point to people like you, and say they are just doing what you want to do.

The irony is quite adorable.

At 2.5 trillions a year, that's a 10-year solution you have there, until we arrive to the point where YOU are the wealthy one and have to pay this tax... And this day you'll complain that it's unfair.

it seems like the better way to help people would be to forgive student loan debt and maybe credit card debt.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano