Thread: [Movie] Mulan

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Looks low budget compared to Lion king.

They probably know it wont do that well in the west and hope to make bank in the east.

Compare it to Lion King or the Avengers and it lacks that Disney polish

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Not true for me. I’m here complaining about Disney changing the character. Also made a comment to Disney on Twitter regarding the trailer and my unhappiness with it.
    While true that it’s not the same for all, most YA novels written by women are exactly like this. Like I’m not talking out of my ass here. It’s pure escapism.

10+ Year Old Account

New trailer released.

I don;t care what anyone thinks, this looks like the best Disney remake so far... I haven't liked any of the remakes they have current made, but one I am looking forward to is this one.

My only gripe is I wish they laid off that magic witch woman and kept it more grounded in reality as a mature war movie, I know it's Disney, but come on, let's not treat people like they're stupid, I loved historical epics as a kid

I like that it's not trying too hard to be like the original, minus the hint towards the musical version of Reflections played int he background. But at least they got rid of the comic relief :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-12-05 at 02:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I like that it's not trying too hard to be like the original, minus the hint towards the musical version of Reflections played int he background. But at least they got rid of the comic relief :P
    Yeah, this could actually be pretty damn good. I've not really cared for any of the live action remakes... but I definitely need to see this.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I will have so many chills hearing the instrumental of reflection in the movie
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

My only gripe is I wish they laid off that magic witch woman and kept it more grounded in reality as a mature war movie, I know it's Disney, but come on, let's not treat people like they're stupid, I loved historical epics as a kid
    I don't know the original had a dragon in it...

I liked Mulan as a kid but I haven't watched any of the live action disney movies yet. Now sure if I'll go see it, might wait for it on disney plus.

I wasn't interested in any of the other disney live action remakes to see any of them. But this movie I feel may actually be worth seeing in live action, I feel like it could translate over a lot better where I just didn't really see the point in say Aladdin or the Lion King.

Sorry but no Mushu no watch.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I don't have very high hopes. I just don't trust Disney after all the horrific remakes, I've lost interest and haven't even seen some of the new ones. They strip the stories of their most important parts and fill the blanks with whatever's going to garner good press at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Completely agree on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I am shocked people actually liked Mushu. I was 16 when Mulan came out and I thought he was the worst part of the movie, unfunny and just wasted screen time from important storytelling. I love Eddie Murphy but being Mushu wasnt one of his most memorable roles.

No Mushu with Eddie Murphy as the voice Im out.

I am shocked people actually liked Mushu. I was 16 when Mulan came out and I thought he was the worst part of the movie, unfunny and just wasted screen time from important storytelling. I love Eddie Murphy but being Mushu wasnt one of his most memorable roles.
    Right?????? I keep wondering if people are conflating Eddie Murphy's role in Mulan with his role in Shrek because how in the world is Mushu a deal breaker? Aside from one gif worthy scene Mushu's role in the movie was largely unmemorable and if anything, felt kinda shoehorned in, as if Disney didn't think the movie would work without a funny sidekick. Not to mention Murphy being the comedy relief in a story about a legendary Chinese warrior always seemed mismatched and out of place. But yeah, I'm with you. It weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrotera View Post
    Right?????? I keep wondering if people are conflating Eddie Murphy's role in Mulan with his role in Shrek because how in the world is Mushu a deal breaker? Aside from one gif worthy scene Mushu's role in the movie was largely unmemorable and if anything, felt kinda shoehorned in, as if Disney didn't think the movie would work without a funny sidekick. Not to mention Murphy being the comedy relief in a story about a legendary Chinese warrior always seemed mismatched and out of place. But yeah, I'm with you. It weird.
    Maybe I was just older at the time and most of the people who like Mushu were younger and that humour related to them more, I for one hated him.

It was a horrible milking of the cow when Disney struck gold with Robin Williams in Aladdin that every Disney movie after that had to have their Robin Williams. Eddie Murphey is a funny guy but his comedy is wasn't suited for Disney (See Haunted Mansion for another horrible mistake)