Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Returning to game, do I want expansions while leveling through ARR?

So in another thread on these forums I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers regarding re-activating my account. Because of those answers I've now re-activated, so thank you for all that!

I just have one more question that deserves its own thread.

I played ARR at its launch and got to the level cap on one character, finishing the ARR story. I intend to re-roll now to jog my memory. Are there any features in said leveling game (to the ARR level cap) that I'd want to buy the expansions for, or is the only real point to buying these expansions to raise the cap and access features only accessible at those new levels.

Basically, what am I missing out on in the early levels if I just keep my account at the ARR level of purchase? This is potentially going to be a secondary game to me, and I want to use the ARR experience to see if I'm all-in on the rest or not... but if I'm missing out on things that would be beneficial to have while leveling, I might buy buy the whole thing now.

Thanks in advance for any and all relevant/helpful replies!
    Last edited by Omedon; 2019-12-05 at 06:34 PM.

Nothing you'd particularly want while leveling. Everything Heavensward added is only accessible when you 100% finish ARR and its patches.

However...Stormblood's added jobs are accessible at 50, so you could hit 50 and pick up Red Mage or Samurai and do the ARR patch content as those jobs.

The complete edition was on sale recently, but I think it's over now.

The only features that I can recall are the new jobs SAM,RDM,GNB, and DNC, and new races. However you get a free race change when you finish the original ARR main quest, and most of those classes aren't available until you get one class to level 50(SAM,RDM) or 60(GNB,DNC). There are 3 other classes as well, but you can't unlock them until you completely finish ARR post 50 content as the unlocks are in that expansions zone, where the other classes are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Nothing you'd particularly want while leveling. Everything Heavensward added is only accessible when you 100% finish ARR and its patches.

However...Stormblood's added jobs are accessible at 50, so you could hit 50 and pick up Red Mage or Samurai and do the ARR patch content as those jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Coramen View Post
    The only features that I can recall are the new jobs SAM,RDM,GNB, and DNC, and new races. However you get a free race change when you finish the original ARR main quest, and most of those classes aren't available until you get one class to level 50(SAM,RDM) or 60(GNB,DNC). There are 3 other classes as well, but you can't unlock them until you completely finish ARR post 50 content as the unlocks are in that expansions zone, where the other classes are not.
    Thanks for the info! I'll probably stay vanilla until 50, because samurai sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    So in another thread on these forums I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers regarding re-activating my account. Because of those answers I've now re-activated, so thank you for all that!

I just have one more question that deserves its own thread.

I played ARR at its launch and got to the level cap on one character, finishing the ARR story. I intend to re-roll now to jog my memory. Are there any features in said leveling game (to the ARR level cap) that I'd want to buy the expansions for, or is the only real point to buying these expansions to raise the cap and access features only accessible at those new levels.

Basically, what am I missing out on in the early levels if I just keep my account at the ARR level of purchase? This is potentially going to be a secondary game to me, and I want to use the ARR experience to see if I'm all-in on the rest or not... but if I'm missing out on things that would be beneficial to have while leveling, I might buy buy the whole thing now.

Thanks in advance for any and all relevant/helpful replies!
    You would not miss anything other than the story content for each expac (on accessible when finishing the MSQ and patch content) and the jobs from each of the expansions. If you like story, ARR's is the slowest. Each expac gets better in quality and Shadowbringers is the best, by far in terms of features. But every expac is kinda self contained.

One thing to note, combat is crazy slow until you get alot of oGCD abilities, which come at most levels past 50. You'll have some before, but the majority is post 50.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info! I'll probably stay vanilla until 50, because samurai sounds awesome!
    Samurai is one of the most fun classes. I do believe you need to purchase Stormblood to unlock it, however, once you get a job to 50.

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    You would not miss anything other than the story content for each expac (on accessible when finishing the MSQ and patch content) as the jobs from each of the expansions. If you like story, ARR's is the slowest. Each expac gets better in quality and Shadowbringers is the best, by far in terms of features. But every expac is kinda self contained.

One thing to note, combat is crazy slow until you get alot of oGCD abilities, which come at most levels past 50. You'll have some before, but the majority is post 50.

- - - Updated - - -

Samurai is one of the most fun classes. I do believe you need to purchase Stormblood to unlock it, however, once you get a job to 50.
    Believe it or not, the slow combat was one of my fonder memories of FFXIV haha, so easing in with "vanilla combat" is fine for me! Thanks for the input!

Believe it or not, the slow combat was one of my fonder memories of FFXIV haha, so easing in with "vanilla combat" is fine for me! Thanks for the input!
    Touching on the story, I'd recommend trying to do the 24 man and 8 man raids in each expansion. It will pay off for you story-wise later. They're not necessities, but there are little things that you'll notice later.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you don't need t buy the expansions if you intend on leveling from scratch but I would almost recommend you don't start over and just play the expansion content since you are already max level. The ARR stuff is widely considered to be the worst part of the game and Heavensward is where it gets good. You don't really miss out on anything early on by not owing the expansions because everything is locked behind the MSQ anyway. It guides you the whole way through.

I am sure people who know more about the game can and will give better idea of anything you may be missing by not having the expansions but if you intent do just level through ARR I don't think you are missing all that much if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    No you don't need t buy the expansions if you intend on leveling from scratch but I would almost recommend you don't start over and just play the expansion content since you are already max level. The ARR stuff is widely considered to be the worst part of the game and Heavensward is where it gets good. You don't really miss out on anything early on by not owing the expansions because everything is locked behind the MSQ anyway. It guides you the whole way through.

I am sure people who know more about the game can and will give better idea of anything you may be missing by not having the expansions but if you intent do just level through ARR I don't think you are missing all that much if anything.
    I do have the option of picking up my old character, who I'd just need to namechange and recustomize into someone else to pick up again (RP reasons), and if I find the ARR experience is slowing me down and I have the "gist" of the game early on, I may do that.

Side question: Does that free race change someone else mentioned demand an actual change of race or can I use it to just change my name and potentially re-do my hair color or whatever?

Touching on the story, I'd recommend trying to do the 24 man and 8 man raids in each expansion. It will pay off for you story-wise later. They're not necessities, but there are little things that you'll notice later.
    Also you get more raids to do in roulletes. Otherwise you get stuck doing the same one or two over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Also you get more raids to do in roulletes. Otherwise you get stuck doing the same one or two over and over.
    Wait, hang on... there's a roulette for raiding and the game assembles a group for it? I did not know that!

Wait, hang on... there's a roulette for raiding and the game assembles a group for it? I did not know that!
    The raid roulletes are for old content. Yeh its pretty cool cause you get exp for it and current endgame currency if you re max level (at the level of old justice points not valor in wow). While leveling you also get relevant currency that you can use for gear or even for materials or transmogs.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-12-05 at 07:11 PM.

you might need xpacs if you want to start over as a non-vanilla race? other than that no big difference really.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    you might need xpacs if you want to start over as a non-vanilla race? other than that no big difference really.
    Going elezen so that's not a consideration, but I'm very excited to see the new races out in the world!

- - - Updated - - -

I just happened to read that the dark knight is available at 30. Is this still the case and would I then have to seriously consider buying the expansions (apparently shadowbringers includes all prior expansions) at level 30 to access dark knight?

Yeah, you're good.

The only issue with ARR is the story quests past the main campaign (the ones they added in patches between ARR release and heavensward). There are 100 quests you have to go through and it's a slog (they don't give much xp). But the devs say they are fixing them in the next major patch. I see people suggesting story boosts to heavensward cause of it.
    They were the first thing i played when i returned (like you i played ARR at launch and stoped until ShB), and they were difficut to go through. The end part was cool though.

Dunno what your pace will be, but if you want to avoid that part, take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Yeah, you're good.

The only issue with ARR is the story quests past the main campaign (the ones they added in patches between ARR release and heavensward). There are 100 quests you have to go through and it's a slog (they don't give much xp). But the devs say they are fixing them in the next major patch. I see people suggesting story boosts to heavensward cause of it.
    They were the first thing i played when i returned (like you i played ARR at launch and stoped until ShB), and they were difficut to go through. The end part was cool though.

Dunno what your pace will be, but if you want to avoid that part, take your time.
    This is a very good tip and I thank you, sir/ma’am/friend!

I may just take a leisurely pace and work on crafting and off jobs on the way up!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is a very good tip and I thank you, sir/ma’am/friend!

I may just take a leisurely pace and work on crafting and off jobs on the way up!
    You do need Heavensward to play Dark Knight, Machinist, or Astrologian at 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    You do need Heavensward to play Dark Knight, Machinist, or Astrologian at 30.
    Ok then, I shall bear that in mind, thank you! Dark knight is absolutely on my to-do list!

Actually the HW jobs won't unlock until you reach Ishgard which tends to be mid-fifties. Samurai and Red Mage from SB do unlock in Ul'dah the moment you hit 50, and unlike all the ARR jobs their 52+ job quests are not gated behind Ishgard access.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    Actually the HW jobs won't unlock until you reach Ishgard which tends to be mid-fifties. Samurai and Red Mage from SB do unlock in Ul'dah the moment you hit 50, and unlike all the ARR jobs their 52+ job quests are not gated behind Ishgard access.
    I’m glad you mentioned this because I was reading a bit about the dark knight and saw it was Ishgard themed, and thought “I don’t remember being in ishgard as early as 30” haha!