Page 1 of 27
... LastLast

Why are there no new classes in Shadowlands?!

As the title says, why are we not getting a new class. The way expansions worked in the past has been quite consistant.

Vanilla - all original classes and races
    BC - New races
    Wrath - New class
    Cata - New races
    MoP - Both new class and race
    WoD - nothing due to MoP offering both
    Legion - New class
    End of Legion, Almost all of BFA - New races.

In keeping with tradition, we should be getting either a new class or both a class and race. I wonder what gives. I did see a youtube video where someone alluded to a new class (necromancer) but I think that is doubtful. Does anyone else think there might or might not be a new race for a specific reason. I personally wanted a new class but I know that an overhaul of the current classes and leveling is more important. Let me know what yall think.

Why do we need a new class every other expansion, though? Is there a point where we have too many classes to balance properly?

Blizzard cant even balance what we have. We don't need new classes right now. And Shadowlands is bringing back focus on the classes we do have
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Blizzard already stirred up shitstorm mess on balance for classes. I don't think they want to release new class maybe like two xpacs later? Blizzard's being lazy...

Why would they add a new class so you can complain about, when they can not add one and have you complain anyway.

Now seriously, adding a class just for the sake of saying "hey we added a new class, fuck you" does not do any good. Besides, we have enough classes, I doubt that you're playing them all.

And what if they added a new class and it wasn't something you'd like? Like for example I don't give a crap about monks, I absolutely dislike everything about them.

No time, I think. BfA is not considered to be a good expansions, Blizzard had more or less nothing to present last blizzcon, so they needed something new to give people back hope in the company. I think they have a lot of ideas, but they're now trying to focus on the lore part, and not as much on classes. I don't think BfA brought much new to the table either, so I hope they make some interesting rework on current classes. Pretty bored with having the same skills, talents and rotations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    Why do we need a new class every other expansion, though? Is there a point where we have too many classes to balance properly?
    Perfect balance is an issue for PVP'ers or something like that. I don't care if a new class is 5% higher than the next on the damage meter, even if I won't make it my main. New stuff = fun.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    No time, I think. BfA is not considered to be a good expansions, Blizzard had more or less nothing to present last blizzcon, so they needed something new to give people back hope in the company. I think they have a lot of ideas, but they're now trying to focus on the lore part, and not as much on classes. I don't think BfA brought much new to the table either, so I hope they make some interesting rework on current classes. Pretty bored with having the same skills, talents and rotations.

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect balance is an issue for PVP'ers or something like that. I don't care if a new class is 5% higher than the next on the damage meter, even if I won't make it my main. New stuff = fun.
    The game is in dire need of a focus on gameplay at the moment before lore though. They can keep throwing in these "Borrowed" powers every expansion, it's still going to feel shitty when we lose them for the next expansion's power trip, while many classes and specs suffers from identity loss and lack of engaging gameplay. Current feral gameplay is a perfect example of this. They were oversimplified and gutted in terms of power and gameplay. Their best build (Could've changed, I don't know.) Is (was) to apply rip once, and maintain it with ferocious bite for the entire fight, which basically boils down to mainly a 3 button rotation. Used rake when it's about to run out, build combo points, spend combo points with ferocious bite. End.

Lest's be honest, the game wont be class balanced with or without a new one, and it never has been. Might as well add a new class to improve appeal for the game and for the players who really wanted one but they cba.

A shame indeed, I feel like Dark Ranger just missed its train, just like Ogres missed theirs in WoD (and Cata and TBC...).

That's right, WoD also had no new class or race. And covenants are another single expansion deal like garrisons.

This doesn't bode well. WoD 2?

People keep talking about balance like its super important, without realising for the majority of wow players, they just want FUN, engaging classes and specs, and balance really isnt a big concern.

A lot of terrible players hide behind "hur dur but mur class isnt balanced gud, its blizzards fault". Every season i laugh at the forums being full of "X spec is totally broken and literally unplayable!" and then method run 4 of X spec because they are so strong when played well.

Quote Originally Posted by anti-fascist View Post
    That's right, WoD also had no new class or race. And covenants are another single expansion deal like garrisons.

Yep. You figured it out. Because the quality of an expansion before it's released shouldn't be judged by its features or what it actually brings to the table... but rather whether we get another stupid fucking class that half this awful community would bitch about being "unbalanced" for the entire expansion anyway.

Because blizzard actually listen to the loudest part of the community who wanted a return to focusing on what already exists instead of adding anything new. Hence no new class or race or feature.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because we don't need a new one? There are more important elements they need to work on and redefine and improve on where they don't need to add something new to the mix

Because there is nothing that thematically fits the expansion?

We already have a death-powers class in the DK. An argument could be made for Necromancer, but that's been going on since WotLK anyway. *sigh*

I don't think they haven't introduced new class because we have "too many specs". We have 36, it's not like they couldn't handle 38 and new class is HUGE hype generator.

Also they don't really have to rush Shadowlands - first, it's month after reveal and we are still before last big content patch; second, after BfA broken launch community will accept even long content drought if they see that expac is well though and tested. That's why I believe there are 2 other causes.

1) 10.0 is big number, I think Shadowlands may turn out to be self-contained story and we'll go back to big milestone expac, maybe Titans or Light/Void. Probably they have better idea for class for expac like this and introducing two class in a row would be too much.

2) Although we won't have overhauls like Shadow Priest or Survival Hunter 6.2->7.0, all classes will need massive amount of work. They reintroduced lot of abilities and they must rebuild all specs from scratch to make this work.

Quote Originally Posted by Evaddon View Post
    Because we don't need a new one? There are more important elements they need to work on and redefine and improve on where they don't need to add something new to the mix
    We didn't need DKs, Monk and DHs as well. New class is just new flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoSul View Post
    Because blizzard actually listen to the loudest part of the community who wanted a return to focusing on what already exists instead of adding anything new. Hence no new class or race or feature.
    Blizzard: *doesn't do something*

Community: There goes Blizzard listening to the wrong parts of the community again.

Blizzard: *does something*

Community: There goes Blizzard listening to the wrong parts of the community again.

1) already too many to balance

2) we got 10 new races in BFA, so you release schedule is already obsolete, and not in the way you are swinging it

The argument that we dont' need another class "beCaUsE thEy nEEd tO bAlaNcE tHe exIsTIng oneS" falls flat on its face, because there have never been and never will be a balance. So they just chose stagnation.
    The real reason is because they're getting lazy/no financing, or preparing something new (hopefully). Knowing Ion however, I think its just general lack of direction and understanding what people want. Hopefully after Shadowblands fails he will finally be fired.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-fascist View Post

Nan it’s Wod 4 as people were saying legion was wod 2 and then bfa was wod 2 so clearly this has to be 4.