Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should there be "smart" matchmaking in BG's?

As the title said. I believe smart matchmaking was introduced in TBC (might be wrong). So if you queue as a 10 man premade in WSG the matchmaker would try to search for another 10 man premade. Same goes for all sizes, if you queue as a 5 man party and you get 5 randoms in your team the opposing team would also be a 5 man party and 5 randoms or close to it.

This is something Blizz should seriously consider doing. Many people will not enjoy the premade fiesta that will happen. And if you are playing alone or just with one or two friends you will have a bad time.

If you mean the premade priority then yea, absolutely. Most private servers had it, but Classic likely wont. Although it wont change much, you can easily carry a pug game with 2-3 people Qing, and potentially get better honor than premades which is not good.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    If you mean the premade priority then yea, absolutely. Most private servers had it, but Classic likely wont. Although it wont change much, you can easily carry a pug game with 2-3 people Qing, and potentially get better honor than premades which is not good.
    If you queue as 3 then the opposing team will also have a team who queued as 3. So it really doesnt change much. All it does is create a better experience if you queue alone. The teams will be "fair on paper" which is better than meeting 10 man premades all day if you queue alone or as a 2 or 3 man party.

10+ Year Old Account
    But, #NoChanges. remember?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget we have the automated bots to look forward to as well. BG's were riddled with them. Even worse at night/early morning.

Blizzard pretended to do the occasional "ban wave" which did absolutely nothing noticeable.

Premades will be the nail in the coffin for the last casuals after p2. Mark my words.

1) they will dodge each other using Discord.
    2) they will farm solo queuer.

That way they will exploit the ranking system with fast and easy wins.

I am pretty sure Blizz won't do a thing. It seems they are happy with p2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Premades will be the nail in the coffin for the last casuals after p2. Mark my words.

But, the "classic community" where "server reputation matters" - how would anyone involved in such behavior EVER get a group?

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    But, the "classic community" where "server reputation matters" - how would anyone involved in such behavior EVER get a group?
    Well, i would argue the Classic communauty is not the vanilla communauty and min-maxing ( along with exploiting / reserving etc but that is a different topic) are fully accepted and even pushed by the hardcore communauty. Dodging is the most effecient way to rank up to 14 and was used for years on private servers but also on retail for rbg rating exploit etc.

What i mean by that is that i do not think it would impact your reputation that bad. Especially on 15k servers were most are anonymous anyway as there is too many people. The competition will hate it as they will queue into other premades but the guilds who will dodge are garantied to dominate the brackets on their servers.

The #nochanges is pretty tiring at this point. The community shouldn't be held hostage by unforseen unintended exploitive bevior the few take advange of. If they need to make a change that is just common sense, then for F--k sake I hope they make it.

No.

Wintrading will already be far too easy to accomplish and making it so that you're basically guaranteed to run into one of your buddies 10 mans instead of random opponents will only make that even easier.

Go further to say this is a fucking terrible idea.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-12-06 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Considering Ques are Region Wide not Server based, as it was in classic.

im pretty sure it wont matter what your server thinks of your geared Premade.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

15+ Year Old Account

Hopefully the pool of pre-mades will be big enough that it will be impractical to dodge/win trade.

Even more so given the Horde are not likely to skip out on any games when they are already gonna have to queue 20-30min per game anyway.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Hottage View Post
    Hopefully the pool of pre-mades will be big enough that it will be impractical to dodge/win trade.
    When would it ever be impractical to not win trade? All the bigger pool of players will do is slow it down while everyone gets contact details/discord info from all the premades on the other faction.

Even if you don't run into a likeminded premade (and lets be honest with outrselves 99% of all premades are going to want to win trade for the maximum honor per hour it would grant) you'd just bail on the game and let them win as fast as possible and requeue. It wouldn't ever be worthwhile to try to win a game that wasn't being given to you when you could be back out and into a game that is.

The only actual solution is to monitor the matches and suspend wintraders or reset their honor to 0. And Blizzard actively monitor their game? HAHAHAHA, this isn't 2009 anymore.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-12-06 at 08:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

the net effect of this will be that only premades play wsg. and everyone else just ques for alterac valley.

What most ppl don't realize is that AV will be alot better honorfarm this time around. You wont have a zerg just standing in the middle for hours. But instead both raids will just run past eachother in a race to take the towers and kill the boss be4 the other faction.
    Matches will be done in under 10min (counted from the bg timer, so 8min from gate opening), and even the losing team will get more honor this way than if they had won the "slow" way. So regardless if your group is the better one, this is the most efficient way to play it.

A premade doing WSG will need to have a pretty high winrate and few drawn out games to be able to beat a soloquer in AV for honor/hour this time around.

Once AB comes out thou the diffrence in honor/hour for a solo AV Qer vs a Premade AB Qer will increase in the premades favor.

As for OP's question. I think yes, there should be a modern matchmaking system working under the hood.
    Last edited by Aphrel; 2019-12-06 at 08:37 AM.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

is the pvp gear really worth the effort? just run BWL and queue pvp for fun :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by last1214 View Post
    The #nochanges is pretty tiring at this point. The community shouldn't be held hostage by unforseen unintended exploitive bevior the few take advange of. If they need to make a change that is just common sense, then for F--k sake I hope they make it.
    unforseen? come on now... its been 15 years... it was absolutely forseen. #onlymychanges is what is acceptable, isn't it?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Essem View Post
    If you queue as 3 then the opposing team will also have a team who queued as 3. So it really doesnt change much. All it does is create a better experience if you queue alone. The teams will be "fair on paper" which is better than meeting 10 man premades all day if you queue alone or as a 2 or 3 man party.
    That doesnt achieve anything except making queue times even longer. Given the fact that there is no way to distinguish between 2 friends Qing together and 2 rankers Qing together and the queue times are the biggest part of the experience it's just pointless. Been tried before.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean noone getting groups? Everyone will be doing that, and have always been.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    No.

Wintrading will already be far too easy to accomplish and making it so that you're basically guaranteed to run into one of your buddies 10 mans instead of random opponents will only make that even easier.

Go further to say this is a fucking terrible idea.
    Wintrading will exist regardless, so will dodging. Only it's pretty hard to dodge/wintrade when all BGs are crossrealm and you cant track all queues. This is done to prevent people qing solo/in small group to be smashed by premades and give premades good games by matching them with different premades, also to some extent to break the meta that you have to rank in a premade, regardless of your ability.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

You are in for a bad time if you expect anything resembling "smart matchmaking".

You are going to be food for premades, or in a premade farming.
    Those are your two options.

Quote Originally Posted by ihate2beapessimist View Post
    You are in for a bad time if you expect anything resembling "smart matchmaking".

You are going to be food for premades, or in a premade farming.
    Those are your two options.
    Or in AV. Better honor and cant reliably premade it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Or in AV. Better honor and cant reliably premade it
    You mean Afk Valley?