Thread: Stadia and WoW.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Poster doesn’t understand how most mmo runs or is just fishing for attention.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    no, no it does not, trust me, its a majority, most people do not use addons, and most people run stock UI, its gross, but thats the truth.

about 30% of the people i know that raid, run stock.
    thats raiders, the epople who like, use custom UI THE MOST
    when you get outside of raiders it gets more and more stock UI.
    What a bunch of nonsense .
    How many people do you play with 10? 50?

Still a minority

If you want to play high m+ or mythic raiding you need add-ons . unless you are a lfr player

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask us again in 5-15 years when game streaming isn't shit. The tech doesn't exist (or rather isn't in common use) to make this shit work yet.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    What a bunch of nonsense .
    How many people do you play with 10? 50?

Still a minority

If you want to play high m+ or mythic raiding you need add-ons . unless you are a lfr player
    I mean i literally get fans in every single video or stream asking about UI and stuff and talking about the default UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    What's wrong with a stock UI?
    A vast majority of players use at least a few addons.
    I don't see myself playing anymore without UI customization.
    Blood DK. I hate leveling alts.
    BfA is great. I love HoA.
    Unpopular opinions ftw.

I mean i literally get fans in every single video or stream asking about UI and stuff and talking about the default UI.
    https://youtu.be/sE47JRXER9I

You still use elvui so no

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Unless something has changed Blizzard doesn't allow cloud based gaming services, unless they change their mind on that Stadia is doa with Blizzard. Stadua on the other hand has plenty of it's own hurdles. The lack of unique games and low player bases for games it does support. As things stand now Stadia doesn't offer much in the way of a hook to get people to use it.
    This guy's idea is that not only does Blizzard reverse its position on cloud-based gaming but that it starts up its own cloud-based gaming service for WoW specifically. It's...not exactly the worst idea I've seen pitched on this forum but most of the US' internet structure really isn't high enough quality to support something like this and the logistics behind it are a fucking nightmare. Maybe in a decade if WoW's still around but this is just not something that'll fly in today's market.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    You're the one that brought up size, I merely gave comparisons. I also outlined multiple users connected at a single time as one of the cons.

How would you find it impactful to your gaming experience? Especially if they somehow found a way to make addons work?

Like I can think of quite a few nights where I'd much prefer to be playing on my couch rather than sitting at my computer. I can also say that there's a lot more people like me to which a computer or gaming console is a significant and sometimes multi-year investment that requires specific budgeting and saving for than those able to just drop a dime on a game ready PC or console. Meanwhile something like a chromecast ultra or equivalent isn't too hard to budget out over a month or even as an impulse purchase.
    All in all in a far off future MMOs would be a good fit for Streaming services providing ISPs got it together and everything. I think people are focusing too much on your use of Stadia specifically here, since Stadia is likely going to die long before the infrastructure it needs is supported. Who knows if WoW would be relevant then, but that genre might be.

Still, MoanaLisa has a point; your examples of Assassin's Creed (and likely Cyberpunk, but since the game isn't out yet it would be speculation) has more to do with how much more of that memory is going to be utilized by being an MMO. When you play Assassin's Creed you'll have, depending on the game or mode, up to maybe 8-20 model types of a time put into certain set pieces.

While the same is mostly true in WoW in terms of set pieces, you now have to account for every single race in the game, both genders for each race; every single beast-tamed model in the game for a Hunter afking in town, all forms of transmog that span over a decade fitted or sometimes treated differently texture wise by a unique race's needs, every single skill preloaded in advance for a Mage randomly getting bored and casting Blizzard on the dot while hopping up and down with ice floes popped with Tauren Chieftan playing in the background; every mount in the game, and whatever positions that entail such as Blood Elves sitting on carpets differently, and so on.

The issue with an MMORPG is in terms of utilized memory and why they're hungry for ram to load it all is there's an expectation from other people running around with all these options and not wanting to lag to have it all loaded at once. So locally having all these files pre-loaded and not sent across should be a significant boost. So it feels like we're very, very far away from any efficient way to do this.

Hell, if any country has any hope of giving this a legitimate shot it would probably be Japan just from them being so enclosed with a strong infrastructure. Like in America there's certainly great portions of New York, Cali and Texas that can handle it, but good luck with all the other states you have to pass through. Our infrastructure nationally is kind of pathetic due to lobbying and monopolies. Given Google's struggles with opening their own ISPs for the past decade I'm not sure why they thought this tech had any merit given current circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Reivur View Post
    Hell, if any country has any hope of giving this a legitimate shot it would probably be Japan just from them being so enclosed with a strong infrastructure. Like in America there's certainly great portions of New York, Cali and Texas that can handle it, but good luck with all the other states you have to pass through. Our infrastructure nationally is kind of pathetic due to lobbying and monopolies. Given Google's struggles with opening their own ISPs for the past decade I'm not sure why they thought this tech had any merit given current circumstances.
    Culturally Japan isn't nearly as gamer-friendly as, say, Korea. (Or even China, maybe?) If the game streaming revolution were to happen anywhere, it'd be Korea. Though, honestly I think PC Bangs already fill that particular niche, so who knows?

Whatever the case, it'll be an interest next few years, I really hope we start seeing the US emerge from the stone age with its ISPs. I worked for one where the highest plan we offered in some areas was 3 MBps, which is truly mind boggling in this day and age.

Stood in the Fire TheRealDavidTwo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW. Coming to the Ouya 20-never.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Culturally Japan isn't nearly as gamer-friendly as, say, Korea. (Or even China, maybe?) If the game streaming revolution were to happen anywhere, it'd be Korea. Though, honestly I think PC Bangs already fill that particular niche, so who knows?

Whatever the case, it'll be an interest next few years, I really hope we start seeing the US emerge from the stone age with its ISPs. I worked for one where the highest plan we offered in some areas was 3 MBps, which is truly mind boggling in this day and age.
    Agreed. When I mentioned Japan it wasn't that I believe there's a market for it so much as I believe they have the right infrastructure for it. Its why any net-based game we get from Japan without them heavily working on the net code bombs here; they don't even have to try 'locally' in their own country but for anywhere else its packet hell. Biggest example I can think of off the top of my head is Dissidia NT. Works fine there; here its a mess.

7+ Year Old Account
    https://youtu.be/sE47JRXER9I

You still use elvui so no
    I do, my boss doesent.

I do, my boss doesent.
    Irrelevant

7+ Year Old Account
    Irrelevant
    Ok cool, nice talking to you.

now back OT

yeah most players use the default UI, a lot of them just dont download addons, and those that do dont even touch the default action bars and such some of the time, usually only downloading that one addon that their friend says they should like dbm.
    stuff like this scares most people

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    So is a possible WoW streaming service in the offing? Would you be willing to sign up for it? Would you expect to pay the same for it or would expect to pay more or even less?
    Given that using cloud streaming services is against the ToS, the WoW team doesn't seem too interested in the concept. The game already streams itself so you can actually start playing without having to download the whole thing.

I very much doubt they would invest in "cloud streaming" for WoW at this point in the product lifecycle, but then again, who knows, it's not like they are releasing any new titles anytime soon..

Personally I wouldn't sign up for it because I have no need for the service

Cloud gaming is retarded and has no foreseeable future, not because Google or the others can't make it work on THEIR side, but because of all the other things between Google and the gamers. Unless the internet that never dies and has no lag will be invented I see no reason to rely on any cloud bullshit, especially for gaming. The only thing I see cloud useful is backup for important data, but even that is a sensitive topic because of security, as Jennifer Lawrence and her tits can explain very well...

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Cloud gaming is retarded and has no foreseeable future, not because Google or the others can't make it work on THEIR side, but because of all the other things between Google and the gamers. Unless the internet that never dies and has no lag will be invented I see no reason to rely on any cloud bullshit, especially for gaming. The only thing I see cloud useful is backup for important data, but even that is a sensitive topic because of security, as Jennifer Lawrence and her tits can explain very well...
    People said the same shit about Netflix when it was new. Not to say you're wrong -- the US' internet structure is dogshit and gamers, generally, tend to be snobs about that type of shit... But it's usually never a good idea to full on dismiss emerging technology.

Well, Netflix doesn't charge you 15 dollars for a movie, then let's you see it for another 10 dollars a month. So Stadia is retarded from the start. Also Netflix doesn't need 50ms latency and they also don't need ultra mega computing power to deliver 4K or whatever and they don't need to blame the developers for not providing that after false advertising such a service in the cringiest way possible.

But regarding Netflix, I can see doom looming there too. The problem is that

1) Everybody now wants a piece of the pie
    2) Netflix own content is 90% complete garbage
    3) No one wants to pay for 5 to 10 different streaming platforms (or at least not many)

In the end there will be a lot of streaming platforms with far less customers each. It might be profitable for companies like Disney, but I don't think Netflix can sustain it with their own garbage content, when more and more licensed content is going away.

Ok cool, nice talking to you.

now back OT

yeah most players use the default UI, a lot of them just dont download addons, and those that do dont even touch the default action bars and such some of the time, usually only downloading that one addon that their friend says they should like dbm.
    stuff like this scares most people

Elvui is a pack of add-ons

First you say you use custom UI and then you don't.

I had no idea what Stadia is, I just checked it out and my mind got chernobyled.