Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    If you can't tell the difference between Stadia and the other two, I have no problem understanding your irrational hatred. Ignorance tends to have that affect on people.
    You make it sound like Geforce Now and PS Now are nothing like Stadia. Also, lots of Stadia supporters here are hinging on Stadia's success based on casual gamers, which just makes it sound like a derogative term.

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    Again, you need to have the tablet. But you're still missing the point.
    What point? That Google released Stadia so quickly that they didn't have time to put Windows support for their Stadia controller?

But you're still out the money from the membership.
    I'm not talking about the membership, I'm talking about the hardware that you own. You didn't buy the exercise equipment, you rented it. If the water bottle you bought only works at that particular gym for some reason, then you bought an awful water bottle. DualShock4 controllers are cheaper and work on Android and Windows, which consequently means it'll work on Stadia as well.
    If one exists, and that just means someone else is paying for your service. It would be like arguing if Stadia goes down, someone could start up a cloned service using the controller.
    They're both equally as evil in my opinion. Should be a law that forces companies to release server code before they shut down the service.
    Why does Apple make a lot of their stuff proprietary? Why does any other business?
    Because we have laws that aren't well enforced. Like the right to repair. How long did we have those warranty void stickers before our government began to enforce that it wasn't legal?
    Again, enjoyable, and fun. Look at more than one review, and you will see that.
    I couldn't find one review that thought it was.

Can you link where Google claimed their graphics were better than PC?
    Google: Stadia exclusives to have features “not possible” on home hardware Google likes to say a lot of stupid crap.

Buying games is a thing on every platform.
    Yes but when you do then you actually own them. Cloud gaming seems to prey on this grey area in digital purchases, but the French agree that you do indeed own your games.
    Last I checked, both PS and XBOX have subscription services in order to play online. So a sub for Stadia washes out. So unless your only buying a console to only ever play offline, then yes, a console will be better in 3-4 years. Until they release their base tier, which is what I would actually be interested in.
    And if you play games on PC? Lets say you don't own a console to play online? That $800 is better spent elsewhere.

I'm probably right in assuming it is going to be next to worthless on DSL right??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacan View Post
    I'm probably right in assuming it is going to be next to worthless on DSL right??
    Really depends... on the low end, Google says it will work with 10mb/s. The issues you'll hit are latency and usage caps from your ISP.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I find it honestly surprising that anyone expected Stadia to be be as good or better in graphics and latency than either PC or console, at a fraction of the size, and a fraction of the price.
    You find is surprising that people expect a service to live up to its marketing? What a good little consumer you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    What point? That Google released Stadia so quickly that they didn't have time to put Windows support for their Stadia controller?
    That there are many, many other cases of purchases not being transferable. This isn't a new thing, and will not stop anytime soon.

I'm not talking about the membership, I'm talking about the hardware that you own. You didn't buy the exercise equipment, you rented it. If the water bottle you bought only works at that particular gym for some reason, then you bought an awful water bottle. DualShock4 controllers are cheaper and work on Android and Windows, which consequently means it'll work on Stadia as well.
    Lost money is lost money. If you're out $130 from a membership or out $130 because Google stops supporting Stadia the result monetarily is the same.

They're both equally as evil in my opinion. Should be a law that forces companies to release server code before they shut down the service.
    I assume you feel people should have to release all their patents if they aren't mass producing the item, as well.

Because we have laws that aren't well enforced. Like the right to repair. How long did we have those warranty void stickers before our government began to enforce that it wasn't legal?

I couldn't find one review that thought it was.
    Literally the first review after a search:
    https://www.techradar.com/reviews/google-stadia

Did you actually read the article? It doesn't claim what you're arguing. Please show where they claim it will run current games at better graphics than on PC.

Yes but when you do then you actually own them. Cloud gaming seems to prey on this grey area in digital purchases, but the French agree that you do indeed own your games.
    To each their own. I didn't buy a single physical game for Xbox, and haven't on PC in 5 years, probably won't ever again.

And if you play games on PC? Lets say you don't own a console to play online? That $800 is better spent elsewhere.
    You still bought a PC, monitor, and accessories. And it comes with limitations. It's not as easily portable. It has more components that can both break, and are more expensive to repair. PC's also aren't as popular as consoles for gaming, so you're focusing on a smaller market. You're focusing on past markets, not future ones. You're lagging behind the curve, instead of trying to get in front of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    You find is surprising that people expect a service to live up to its marketing? What a good little consumer you are.
    Can you show me that marketing that made such claims?

It's astonishing that some people are in denial over the appeal over Stadia.
    The pricing doesn't appeal to a lot casual gamers.
    The performance drops will result in a huge turn-off for hardcore gamers who more often that not hold their gaming rigs in high prestige, where they can push software and hardware alike to their extremes.

No, it isn't terrible. It's just difficult to see it becoming another Ford Model T.

Not only did they market that, they recently doubled down on the statement that "all games are 4k" in spite of Digital Foundry flat out proving that to be false. https://www.thurrott.com/games/googl...-4k-complaints

This is akin to the dumbass at MS stating "your TV resolution will say 1080p" in response to the Xbox One not having games play in 1080p at launch. At least back then though- they never claimed every game would support it like google did.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-06 at 11:19 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    That there are many, many other cases of purchases not being transferable. This isn't a new thing, and will not stop anytime soon.

Lost money is lost money. If you're out $130 from a membership or out $130 because Google stops supporting Stadia the result monetarily is the same.

I assume you feel people should have to release all their patents if they aren't mass producing the item, as well.

Did you actually read the article? It doesn't claim what you're arguing. Please show where they claim it will run current games at better graphics than on PC.

To each their own. I didn't buy a single physical game for Xbox, and haven't on PC in 5 years, probably won't ever again.

You still bought a PC, monitor, and accessories. And it comes with limitations. It's not as easily portable. It has more components that can both break, and are more expensive to repair. PC's also aren't as popular as consoles for gaming, so you're focusing on a smaller market. You're focusing on past markets, not future ones. You're lagging behind the curve, instead of trying to get in front of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Streaming is not the "future". The future is PC gaming on the high end, and devices like the Switch on the low/portable end. Streaming is a dumpster fire, that is pretty much for nobody. Noone that is seriously into gaming would even look at it. The non-gaming "casual market" doesn't care about the games anyway, they are the same people that bought Wii's for Wii Sports and then let it collect dust in a corner. Games look like ass even on better services than Stadia, due to compression artifacting (after all you aren't playing the game, you are interacting with a compressed video of it). My PC is significantly more powerful than what they are using for Stadia (which is a 2.7 GHz Intel CPU with a Vega GPU - I absolutely demolish that). My computer can actually run some games if 4k if I want to...although personally I prefer 1080p with much higher framerates. Although, I actually do most of my gaming on the Switch now. Sure stuff doesn't look as good, and not all games are 60fps like they are on my gaming PC (and yet a surprising number of them DO run at 60fps, more than on the PS4/XB1)...but despite the graphical and performance sacrifice, I can pick the system up and take it with me, and that is worth it for most games. At least, with the Switch, I understand why not everything can be 60fps, because it is truly portable (and don't give me that BS about Stadia being "portable", requiring constant super high bandwidth internet means it is NOT portable).

All of my games, now and in the future, will run locally on my hardware or not at all. If there are ever any games exclusive to streaming platforms, then they don't exist. Although, they will exist for the pirates, which I will definitely be if stuff like that happens.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2019-12-07 at 06:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel that people should have access to the product they bought.
    First search on Google.com? No kidding... They literally had not one bad thing to say about Stadia. No wait, they had this to say. "(And yes, unfortunately Google Stadia requires a credit card when you sign up, so keep that in mind.)" Their cons are "You're an ultra-competitive gamer looking for a new platform" and "You only use iOS or play games at the office". I don't think an infomercial counts as a review. This sums it up much better.

Right there, 3rd paragraph, first sentence. "Part of that promise, Raymond says, is the ability to use Google's distributed data center hardware to perform real-time calculations that can't be done on even the most powerful home hardware. "

I don't think you understand but even the digitally downloaded games are yours. You can even resell these games according to the French court. Stadia just opens up a huge mess of problems with the idea of buying something and not having a copy of it for download.

You still bought a PC, monitor, and accessories.
    Should we also count the TV as part of the Stadia purchase?
    And it comes with limitations. It's not as easily portable.
    Laptops work just fine, even without a wifi signal. Notice the Stadia limitation I did there?
    It has more components that can both break, and are more expensive to repair.
    You still need a client which can also break, just like the overheating Chromecast Ultras. You still need a computer for Stadia to work, just a thin client computer. Your $1k mobile phone you use to play Stadia on is also more volatile than a PC considering you're carrying it around with you, and isn't as easily repairable as a PC. Trust me, I fix them. Working on a PC is like working on a 1970's car, while working on a phone is like trying to work on a Porsche where you need to drop the engine just to do simple repairs.
    PC's also aren't as popular as consoles for gaming, so you're focusing on a smaller market. You're focusing on past markets, not future ones. You're lagging behind the curve, instead of trying to get in front of it.
    Your info is outdated, as the PC has long been nearly as big as consoles. About as outdated as Stadia's server hardware is for playing games at 4k.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2019-12-07 at 07:00 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I still like how these stockholm syndrome google shillers are saying that non-Stadia platforms "aren't portable". Laptops are VERY portable. And well, this device would like a word with you.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    I still like how these stockholm syndrome google shillers are saying that non-Stadia platforms "aren't portable". Laptops are VERY portable. And well, this device would like a word with you.

This device is gigantic and has poor battery life. Not to mention laptops. But hey you can play Stadia on a laptop.

Phones are miles ahead in terms of portability.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    This device is gigantic and has poor battery life. Not to mention laptops. But hey you can play Stadia on a laptop.

Phones are miles ahead in terms of portability.
    Uhh, the new switch model is getting about as long of a battery life as any phone will if the phone is running a demanding app for hours and don't even get me started on laptop battery life lmfao.

Not to mention I don't think you have ever held a switch or have any idea how large it is, my wife's note is literally bigger then the Switch is with joy cons off. Oh and before you claim joy cons are part of the package let me remind you for stadia you need a controller as well.

Stadia is no more portable then the Switch, sorry for the cold hard truth. You keep trying to defend it but it's a garbage product that already failed and there is no comeback story in the works for it.

"Hey you can play games on a laptop when you go on vacation, or away with work. All you need is a computer of some kind and a good Internet connection"
    *Hotels have very bad internet*

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Uhh, the new switch model is getting about as long of a battery life as any phone will if the phone is running a demanding app for hours and don't even get me started on laptop battery life lmfao.
    But stadia is not a demanding app, like a game on switch/laptop would be. So phone battery will last longer. Much longer.
    Not to mention I don't think you have ever held a switch or have any idea how large it is, my wife's note is literally bigger then the Switch is with joy cons off. Oh and before you claim joy cons are part of the package let me remind you for stadia you need a controller as well.
    I have, I'm looking at it right now - it's right in front of me. It's gigantic compared to my Pixel 2 XL, both in diagonal size and thickness. It's thicker than Note. Heavier. Not to mention that if you plan to play on it on the go - you will have to carry both the phone and the switch. Stadia removes that problem. Not to mention the selection of games will be eventually greater on cloud gaming than on any console.

As for controller - eventually, stadia games (stadia app) will support touchscreen as a controller - it will play just like a mobile game - but there are game controller ideas even for mobile games - so who knows which way it will go - maybe mobile gamers will use a dedicated controller in the future. So it's a non-issue.
    Stadia is no more portable then the Switch, sorry for the cold hard truth. You keep trying to defend it but it's a garbage product that already failed and there is no comeback story in the works for it.
    It is. This truth is colder and harder than yours. I'm not defending anything. Rather myth-busting. I don't give a fuck about Stadia, but cloud-gaming is the future and anyone who disagrees - is wrong.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Even when Elim Garak is proven wrong he still tries to reply. Bonus points for thinking 4k video playback isn't a demanding app for phones, go watch 4k netflix on your phone and get back to me with how long the battery lasts genius.

cloud-gaming is the future and anyone who disagrees - is wrong.
    Anyone who cares about quality, performance, existing/past libraries, and content ownership will not primarily use cloud gaming. As long as people care about those, someone will provide a market for them, unless they don't want to make money. It doesn't have to be the biggest market. Right now, the mobile games market is huge, but I ignore it because it doesn't interest me. Phones are too tiny for me to get an enjoyable experience. McDonalds and other fast food chains are huge, but there's still a market for quality food even though its more expensive and takes longer to prepare.

You keep suggesting that PCs and PC users are dinosaurs throughout the thread, ignoring the more likely scenario that both full clients (like PCs) and thin clients will coexist, because there are tradeoffs. One does not supersede the other. If you want a higher quality, higher performing, with access to thousands of existing/future games, where you can potentially (depending on DRM, but that can be bypassed) keep the titles indefinitely, you play on a full client, like a PC or console.

Your hypothetical future where all electronic manufacturers keep making components for server racks but not home PCs is illogical, because the market will still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    Anyone who cares about quality, performance, existing/past libraries, and content ownership will not primarily use cloud gaming. As long as people care about those, someone will provide a market for them, unless they don't want to make money. It doesn't have to be the biggest market. Right now, the mobile games market is huge, but I ignore it because it doesn't interest me. Phones are too tiny for me to get an enjoyable experience. McDonalds and other fast food chains are huge, but there's still a market for quality food even though its more expensive and takes longer to prepare.

You keep suggesting that PCs and PC users are dinosaurs throughout the thread, ignoring the more likely scenario that both full clients (like PCs) and thin clients will coexist, because there are tradeoffs. One does not supersede the other. If you want a higher quality, higher performing, with access to thousands of existing/future games, where you can potentially (depending on DRM, but that can be bypassed) keep the titles indefinitely, you play on a full client, like a PC or console.

Your hypothetical future where all electronic manufacturers keep making components for server racks but not home PCs is illogical, because the market will still exist.
    Shit, my favorite part of owning a pc is building it and tinkering with it. Not something I would ever give up.

10+ Year Old Account
    cloud-gaming is the future and anyone who disagrees - is wrong.
    <insert flavor of the month technology> is the future!

Here's the thing. Cloud gaming works, only if we break up the ISP monopolies and get reliable, fast and low cost internet access. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Cloud-gaming is the future but not a future most of us will be alive to witness.

Quote Originally Posted by apustus View Post
    Cloud-gaming is the future but not a future most of us will be alive to witness.
    Thankfully