Quote Originally Posted by sircaw View Post
    The Irishman

7 out of ten, thought the start and the end of the movie sucked bit time, slow boring and almost had me turning off. The sections between Pacino and Stephen Graham were a highlight, fantastic chemistry between them. From around the hour mark till about the last 30 mins of the film, 10/10.

The cast is fantastic, so many old wise guys in it.
    Good film yer, good fellas not.
    The Irishman

I'm an admirer of Robert de Niro and Al Pacino. In my book, they're the GOATS of acting. I love mob stories as well; I've read several books on the subject and "The Sopranos" is still one of my all time favourite shows.

That said, this film had me bored to no end. I started twice and stopped both times after an hour. I can't bring myself to fire it up again, that's how boring it was. The make-up artists need to go back to school as well; young de Niro looks ludicrously stupid, for example.

A solid 5/10
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    The Irishman: 6/10

Very disappointing. I genuinely disliked de Niro, he was monotony incarnate. Pacino and Pesci were incredible on the other hand.

Overall felt very rushed and overdrawn, and the CGI was weird and jarring.

It pains me to say this, but watching this is the equivalent of having a conversation with your senile grandpa. You have maximum respect and love for him, but on the other hand it just pains you to see him in that state.

- - - Updated - - -

The King: 7.5/10

Well made but lacking spice. Pattinson is criminally underused. This could have been so much more, but als, what we got was good enough. Must watch it if you're a history buff.

Tolkien (2019) - 5/10 (C-)

Pretty dull and uninspired as far as biopics go. A documentary about Tolkien would most likely have been more interesting to see.

Penguin Highway (2018) - 8/10 (B+)

Beautiful coming of age anime movie with some fun symbolism and lots of penguins. I liked the characters and their attempt at using scientific methods to solve the strange phenomenons that occur.

The Irishman: 3/10 - couldn't even get through it, and I have zero inclination to finish it. Tons of issues with this one, but the godawful pacing was just a killer. Worst Scorsese flick I've seen since Bringing Out The Dead.

Shazam: 8.5/10
    - light and incredibly entertaining, one of the better comic flicks to come out in a very long time.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Head Hunter

I'm a pretty big fan of fantasy horror because it combines two genres which I think are great so when my friend told me about this there was no question that I had to watch it and essentially went in to it blind with zero expectation other than it's ultra low budget.

The atmosphere and set designs were great and likely where most of the budget was dumped because there's very little dialogue and even less action. No fancy locations and no battles to be found here either so you have to use your imagination in order to place yourself in this world which is reminiscent of that found in The Witcher. The creatures have an interesting but cliched design from a monster point of view and the rest of the budget was likely blown on a CGI troll.

You'll either love it or you'll hate it and it's entirely possible you won't really know until the very end at which point you have to wonder if it really is the end because of his magic mud. Total run time is only 72 minutes too so I'd argue it's more of a TV special than a full-length feature which is fine but the pacing feels a little all over the place where certain scenes feel like they drag on whereas others feel like they're rushed.

Would be wonderful to see this story unpacked in to a proper series and maybe with the inevitable success of The Witcher it may create a market for this type of content.

If ever there was a movie which could be rated as 3.6 roentgens then this is it.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Rambo Last Blood 0/10

a typical "American soldier kills tons of people in other country" movie.
    That country should build the wall.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Rambo Last Blood 0/10

a typical "American soldier kills tons of people in other country" movie.
    That country should build the wall.
    Speaking of walls, and American soldiers - I just watched...

The Wall (2017): 8/10

I think it was a really good war movie. A bit unorthodox which kept it fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Knives Out: 8 / 10

Wasn't a movie I was looking to go to, so didn't know much about it ahead of time. As such, I didn't realize it was supposed to be as much comedy as mystery. Overall, it was a lot of fun with a variety of twists involving the members of the dysfunctional family. A couple of points off for a few minor slow points and having a final twist that was fairly obvious a good while before it was revealed.

A Man Who wasn't there.
    rate: 9/10
    Review: The mirror of the rusted souls.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Irishman (2019) - 7/10

7/10 is really higher than it deserves, but being a fan of several of the key actors I have a hard time dinging it too much. Having said that, I frowned upon the use of really REALLY olds actors to play young men. At certain points Deniro's character is referred to as a boy. WTF. I mean, he's well past the point of being able to pull of a young man. I don't know, maybe I'm making too much of that aspect. Seems a shame that Scorsese couldn't find some solid up and comers to fill out the younger guy roles. I didn't have a problem watching it all the way through; it was entertaining.

Marriage Story (2019) - 8/10 (A-)

Pretty great movie, Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson kills it. The movie has a kind of grainy look and feel to it that reminds me of home-recorded videos, which I thought was a neat touch. I found it very engaging, which can be hard to do for movies that mostly consist of talking.

Parasite (2019) - 9/10 (A)

New favorite movie of the year (so far). I haven't given a new movie a 9/10 since The Last Jedi (don't @ me), which was two years ago. The movie is really clever, and it is also funny in a clever (and somewhat dark) way. It felt pretty unique too, with some different takes on the "class war" than you usually see. The cinematography and direction is great too, making the whole thing solid enough to get to that "upper" level.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if mmo-champion watches or likes this kind of movies but this was the last one I watched and I really liked it. Great acting of all of the actors there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    I don't know if mmo-champion watches or likes this kind of movies but this was the last one I watched and I really liked it. Great acting of all of the actors there.
    I didn't enjoy it. It was like the Holy Roman Empire of comedy dramas. It was neither funny nor dramatic. Very.....bland. Acting was good, but the script was just too poop.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

5+ Year Old Account
    The Irishman, 5/10, would get a whole lot higher score if they edited out 1 n a half hour out of the movie...

Instead of releasing a cinema cut, they released a director's cut n not those that finally make it, I mean movies that end up being 4 hours n are then cut down to size n then released but only this time it didn't happen, no cutting down to size...cuz director is old, afraid to croak, so just unloaded a big volume of scenes?...yes, it was fascinating with the main character staring at walls, picking a coffin, walking slowly everywhere, is this director working it over in his mind his own long road to death?..really necessary to make us go through watching that? I couldn't wait for it to be over..normally I like his movies, acting, cinematography was great etc.

JoJo Rabbit (2019) - 8/10 (B+)

A bittersweet, heartwarming story with themes that are pretty relevant for these modern times. As a satire, the movie has some funny moments as well, although I did not find it as consistently hilarious as I maybe expected. I've really enjoyed Taika Waititi's other work, especially Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Thor: Ragnarok. I don't think this is quite as good as those, it can sometimes be a bit slow, or maybe there's just not a lot of different things to the movie, but it just manages to get an 8/10 for the undeniable relevancy and humanity of its themes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Joker: 3/10

Awful.

This crazy weirdo incel going berserk could have worked better in the actual world setting instead of dumping it into this batman thing.

Phoenix's performance was nice though, so all points to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that would just be Taxi Driver then

The King: 7/10

Great acting and cinematography. That final battle scene really took a lot from Battle of the Bastards (literally one shot is exactly the same) but it was fucking awesome all the same. Points deducted because I saw exactly how the story would play out a mile away.

Joker - 5/10 - I give it a 5 because of Joaquin's performance, which even though it wasn't stellar in terms of Joker as an established character, it was a display of his acting chops.

Other than that, it being a part of the Batman universe just made me feel disconnected, since I've had it up to my teeth with the whole "Gotham is a shitty place!"-theme when they can't even be bothered to build up Gotham and set it apart visually from real cities. The rest felt like shameless pandering to current identity politics in some camps, which I think could've worked so much better in a realistic, standalone setting of modern day USA. It wasn't nearly violent or shocking enough for me to understand why it has people raving. And before someone comes along to say "you just didn't get it, man!"... I do, and it's still weak.

Have to add that I cringed very hard as Fleck was berating "you people" over "deciding what's funny or not", considering Todd Phillips whinging in the media.

Very disappointed, I was hoping for something groundbreaking that'd have me hope for Joaquin's Joker to continue forward in other movies, but no such luck. Heath is still the top player, despite my feelings about The Dark Knight overall.
    Bonus: Big nope as to how they portrayed Thomas Wayne. He was basically a more coherent Trump.

Conclusion: I'll stick with Taxi Driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    I'm not surprised you didn't get Joker.
    Not that I expect much since I literally don't know you but... care to elaborate?

Because I did get it just fine, it ain't rocket science and not even deep as far as social commentary goes. It's actually all over the place, in part due to the Batman setting but also due to how it chooses to portray the rich and the poor and the mentally ill. It holds no messages that are unique or not done better in previously made movies. It's not shocking, it's just a story about the fall of a mentally ill person that they decided to put into the DC universe (but standalone) to sell it on brand recognition.

I even dedicated a bit of my post to guard against individuals such as yourself. Wasn't expecting some low post-count poster to be so triggered that he/she would pretend to know me though...

Or on second thought, don't elaborate, because it's clear you were just miffed by someone not gulping down your media of choice and made a cheap attempt at retaliation in place of an actual argument. Also, derailing the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    I'm sorry you are so thin-skinned. Perhaps your hypersensitivity is why you didn't like the movie? Maybe they should have trigger warnings in the movie?
    There is nothing to get triggered by, it is a bland attempt at being edgy.

The only one acting triggered here, is the poster bitching at a stranger in a thread where everyone else can write and read positive and negative reviews without issue.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-12-21 at 10:43 PM.