Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Selling a BoE while on a guild raid?

Last night a titanforged BoE dropped for a hunter. This hunter has always self-supplied his own flasks, pots, and food. I am not high enough rank so I supply my own repairs. I am 100% self-sufficient in guild runs. As stated earlier on my hunter a titanforged 445 glove dropped. I have 450 gloves so I could trade them. When my guild saw the text they flipped shit and wanted me to roll it to the guild. I am relatively new and they never give me loot. I won the crit bow off the first boss but I was a newbie and they gave it to someone else. I told them its mine and im selling it. Those gloves are worth 115k gold on my server. We are 6/8H and very casual. I don't take anything from the guild I supply everything myself. How would you feel if the newbie you treated like trash didnt want to give the gloves to someone?

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Last night a titanforged BoE dropped for a hunter. This hunter has always self-supplied his own flasks, pots, and food. I am not high enough rank so I supply my own repairs. I am 100% self-sufficient in guild runs. As stated earlier on my hunter a titanforged 445 glove dropped. I have 450 gloves so I could trade them. When my guild saw the text they flipped shit and wanted me to roll it to the guild. I am relatively new and they never give me loot. I won the crit bow off the first boss but I was a newbie and they gave it to someone else. I told them its mine and im selling it. Those gloves are worth 115k gold on my server. We are 6/8H and very casual. I don't take anything from the guild I supply everything myself. How would you feel if the newbie you treated like trash didnt want to give the gloves to someone?
    Did you agree to how the guild was ran and operated? If yes, there is no question or debate.
    The last 2 guilds I was in also had the policy of BoE’s going to the guild. One of them sold them off to supply gold to the guild to supply raiders with lots, flasks, etc.
    The other guild kept them in the bank and then rolled them off on the last raid day of the week to people based off of who got boss loot and could still use upgrades in that spot.
    Either way, these are things usually brought up on guild applications or potential raider interviews and something you choose to agree to or not. If it didn’t come up, then lesson learned for your next guild or moving forward with your current one for how things work and what to ask about.

You're gonna get a bunch of people saying you were wrong and that guilds essentially have the right to screw over and exploit new members to their hearts' content.

I'm not one of those people, though. I don't see an issue with you keeping boe gloves, especially if they didn't let you keep the bow. Because they don't seem to be offering you anything, if you really do provide everything for yourself as well. You could just as easily do pug raids and wouldn't have to give away items you get.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    if it dropped for you and was looted to your inventory it is yours. Fuck People that expect shit be split when its your own Personal loot especially if they have refused to give you other gear.

Time to find a new guild buddy. Sounds like the type of blatant favoritism that happens in "casual core" guilds. Tell em to eat your gooch and just PuG shit til you find a better guild.

Also, dunno if it still works but back in the day I would intentionally avoid looting trash during guild runs so if I got a BoE it'd show up in my mailbox later. (Bonus: You can "accidentally" /gquit before looting it so it doesn't show up on the registry later.)

If they are the type of guild that's too cheap to provide raiding supplies, then there's really no reason to have a guild bank with gold at all.

Going off on what Eapoe said, based on the description you gave us of the situation, you could be in either boat. You could have been the scumbag for breaking policies that were laid out to you from the start OR you might have done the right thing by telling them no and keeping the gloves.
    Personally, I can't say which boat I think you are in because I have dealt with people on both sides and therefore can't give a straight answer without more information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    If people need old items to feel unique and special then they have a problem. Playing a video game in a MMO isn't about looking and feeling special.
    LOL

This is the kind of thing that needs to be settled in advance. So if the guild has no rules then you may want to consider that they're not very organized. We don't have enough context to say much else. You should leave a guild if you disagree with their policies, because whoever runs the guild makes the rules. I would expect relatively laid back rules form a casual heroic guild.

The argument against ignoring guild rules is that you can't solo raid bosses, so you wouldn't be getting any loot if you weren't raiding with a group to begin with. Of course people will jump and claim that you can just pug, but pugging has a lot of downsides that can be significantly worse than losing some gear.

I personally find that a good guild is one you have fun playing with. Gear doesn't matter nearly as much as people think. If the bosses die then everyone will get gear. And if the bosses don't die that's because the group sucks, not because they lack gear. So either way gear doesn't matter that much.

If the guild didn't shit on new players this probably wouldn't be an issue. Guild provides no support and doesn't give loot to new players then they can't expect new players to play by the rules. If they keep OP, don't forget to be passive aggressive when you don't get loot. Be all "well at least I can buy me something nice with the gold from those gloves".
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    I personally find that a good guild is one you have fun playing with. Gear doesn't matter nearly as much as people think. If the bosses die then everyone will get gear.
    Except that, when the bosses died, OP had to give up their loot, so there's that.

Lemmie sell you a protip, never loot anything aside bosses in raid, you can even not loot bosses if you wish to.

If something drops, it will come on your mail afterwards. Then if you get BoE, you send it to you unnamed alt, and sell from there.
    Nobody will ever know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always been of the opinion that any BoE is yours, and it's your choice to share with the others members, if you want.
    "We learn from history, that we learn nothing from history." - George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Chromell View Post
    Except that, when the bosses died, OP had to give up their loot, so there's that.
    I didn't claim that his guild was a good one, since I have no information to make such a claim. It was more like an advice to look for another guild if he doesn't have fun with them, or ignore the loot drama if he does have fun. At first glance it sounds like he's probably a trial and that guild doesn't give loot to trials, which is fairly common. But since he didn't frame it like that it also sounds like that guild is just poorly organized.

But you will get loot as long as the bosses die, no matter how unlucky you are. It's not like it evaporates. I don't get any favoritism in my guild, and my gear goes up pretty fast anyway. Guild groups distribute the loot to their raiders. So eventually everyone will get geared, since gear that people don't need will always be traded. It's not like pugs where you could kill a boss 20 times and never get anything.
    Last edited by Khallid; 2019-12-08 at 06:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so let's get this thru. I'll assume u use /roll for loot and not some DKP-like system (based on ur post).

For the bow: You had a higher ilvl already otherwise you couldn't roll it. Most guilds have restricted loot for trials/new ppl (ur last priority, or got no right at all). We can argue all you want for/against this, but it's a very common basic rule, no way around it. If this exists in your guild (and it seems it does) taking the bow from u was ok.

For the BoE: This one's is a bit more complicated so let's see all cases.
    1. There's a rule saying all BoEs are rolled randomly or to the guild bank. In this case sry to say you're in the wrong and they're in the right. The rule sucks ass but it's a rule.
    2. The BoE is and upgrade for someone. The guild has a rule that says if it's and upgrade it should be rolled for (and equipped). If this is the case, again you're in the wrong and they're right. Rule's a rule.
    3. The BoE is an upgrade for someone, but no rule that says u gotta give it up. In this case you're right to keep it, and they'e wrong. The guy who needs it might hate u for it, but screw him, ur BoE.
    4. No specific rule for BoEs is in place. They ask you to roll it cuz ur a trial/new. Fuck em, keep it. No rule = your call.

Most important, as someone above mentioned: If your guild screws u over and over, or you don't like playing with them / not having fun. LEAVE and get a new one.

Fully aware i'll get some folks disagreeing with me cuz "dropped for me, it's my call". That's ok, they're simply wrong. If you agree to guild rules, you don't get to ignore one of them cuz it inconveniences you atm. Play by the rules or leave.
    Last edited by Denizly; 2019-12-08 at 08:40 AM.

What do you mean they gave the bow to someone else, if you got it?!
    Those are some weird rules.

What you get is yours. No one tells you what to do with it.

Dude, dump that guild like a bad habbit. I sure would.

PS: If a weapon dropped for me, that was a significant upgrade for me, I'd tell them to go suck my dick if they ordered me to give it to someone else, and I would welcome the g kick because that's a shit guild to begin with.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2019-12-08 at 08:50 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would find a different guild, period. There are plenty of casual guilds out there that are way more friendly than what you describe.

Sounds like you and the guild has a misunderstanding of the rules they set and you agreed to when joining them.

You can either join a guild, agree to their rules and abide by them, which in some cases means you play together and share your loot with the guild.
    Alternatively you join a guild where everyone is focused on their own loot and enact behaviors like not looting bosses/trash at all.

If you ever feel like you are in a situation where the above two are mixed, gquit is the only solution. People pulling the shit suggested by hiding loot etc in a guild that has agreed to share their loot is absolute cancer and should be removed from any decent guild the moment it is discovered, and it most certainly can be discovered if you suddenly show up to a raid with a shiny new high titanforge BOP item from the raid. At the same time if you feel that you want to pull that kind of crap in a guild, then you either dont fit into the guild or the guild is disorganized to a level where theese things were not clarified at the time of recruiting by an inept management.

All in all, dont do the douche moves mentioned by previous posters if you agreed to loot share with your raid, you are doing yourself a short term favor as it can be exposed and noone will trust you in the guild anymore. Ofcourse disregard this if you feel that you dont care about your guildies at all, but then why would you join a guild unless for extremely selfish reasons.

It's called personal loot for a reason.

Find a new guild.

That's honestly the long short of it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I don't take anything from the guild I supply everything myself. How would you feel if the newbie you treated like trash didnt want to give the gloves to someone?
    By reading that line alone - I think you should probably find a new guild that fits you better?

Find a guild who has taken the time to figure this stuff out and has clear set of rules regarding loot distribution. If the guild has a rule about BoE's and you agreed to it before you joined - then hand it over. If not - well, then its yours to do whatever the hell you want.

Being a 6/8H casual guild - at this point, lol - who the hell cares what you do with a shitty BoE.. just sounds like the guild leadership is trying to bully a new member into giving their stuff to "trusted friends". Sounds like a shitty guild.

/gquit and find a better guild

...6/8H guild that has DPK/loot council?!? what the actual..?
    Last edited by TwoMana; 2019-12-08 at 09:16 AM.