Poll: Is your country willing to make hard choices?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Human rights are a western concept that is only able to exist because of the relative comfort people live in. You can be sure it will be dismissed in an instant when conflicts arise.
    I have to agree with the gist of this post.

The country consists of the people that empowers it. And when it comes down to the wire, rather than infringing on their relative comforts and security, those same people will insist that the country's resources are for its own citizenry.

Or you could let in what your country can support.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Or you could let in what your country can support.
    Climate refugees... NIMBY.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Do people from those countries deserve a second chance even though they were some of the prime agents of manmade climate change?

Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Lets not overlook the fact that the prime reason for businesses to be running in foreign countries is because of the lack of regulations that most "first world" countries insist upon within their own borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    No, it doesn't.

Human rights are a western concept that is only able to exist because of the relative comfort people live in. You can be sure it will be dismissed in an instant when conflicts arise.
    Oh look, you are doing this drivel again. Then go ahead, stop all social programms in SK, remove any personal protections from law. After all, you do not matter and human rights are made up and people would love seeing them gone.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    The year is 2050. Your country is facing an unprecedented wave of climate refugees from Africa and Asia. Everyone knows that accommodating all of them would be completely unsustainable and would result in the same ruin for your country as befell their countries of origin. Yet human decency dictates that you let them in.

What does your country do? Does it prioritize human rights and values over its duty to its own citizens? Or does it reinforce its borders and turn the flood of refugees away?

As a bonus question:
    Everyone knew that this would happen. Yet India and China, as Putin noted, prioritized raw economic growth over sustainable development. Do people from those countries deserve a second chance even though they were some of the prime agents of manmade climate change?

I think climate-conscientious people should totally be let in. But it would require very strict vetting at the border and many bleeding-heart liberals would be uncomfortable with it. But the alternative is much, much worse.
    by 2050 my country is *blub blub blub blub*

Weird how blatant white nationalist trolling gets more and more of a pass here.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Weird how blatant white nationalist trolling gets more and more of a pass here.
    Shh, you will get banned for mentioning it.

Anyway, yeah. The entire premise of this thread is poorly contrived bait to justify anti-immigrant sentiment, and by extension racism and ethnic superiority beliefs. It is postulating a future in which things somehow work fundamentally different then they do now, which is a very irrational position in the first place. The idea that nations are routinely destroyed by immigrant hordes is a common one in White Nationalist fan-fiction, but strangely absent from the historical record. In fact, history shows quite the opposite, countries that are attracting large numbers of opportunistic immigrants are typically flourishing, and the waves of cheap labor and new talent feed that surge of prosperity.

They like painting some bleak future where these dangerous foreigners must be turned away for the good of society, but they already want to do that, when these conditions do not exist. They are contriving a scenario to fit their agenda, and it still doesn't make sense. Even in crisis we are going to want the additional brain and muscle power that comes with immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Oh look, you are doing this drivel again. Then go ahead, stop all social programms in SK, remove any personal protections from law. After all, you do not matter and human rights are made up and people would love seeing them gone.
    /s
    They're based on the citizenry and politicians wanting them. Not human rights.

Do you even check our laws? You can go to prison for stating the truth here, for defamation. You can be imprisoned for supporting communists. We have no laws against discrimination by ethnicity in employment or when renting to people and so on.

You think refugees would have much of an opportunity here? We restricted our laws concerning asylum seekers and granting refugee status even more after some 500 Yemeni arrived at Jeju in a short time. That was the liberals doing that, by the way.

This idea that you must remove laws and protections is just silly. I really don't understand where this idea that if you don't support human rights it means you must remove laws comes from. Do you think there were no laws prior to the UDHR?

I'm quite certain that Europe is eventually going to drop their pretense as well that they care so much about it when the situation becomes dire enough. You already see signs of it when you look at what's happening there and how frustrated people are with asylum seekers and refugees.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-12-05 at 04:42 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Shh, you will get banned for mentioning it.

Anyway, yeah. The entire premise of this thread is poorly contrived bait to justify anti-immigrant sentiment, and by extension racism and ethnic superiority beliefs. It is postulating a future in which things somehow work fundamentally different then they do now, which is a very irrational position in the first place. The idea that nations are routinely destroyed by immigrant hordes is a common one in White Nationalist fan-fiction, but strangely absent from the historical record. In fact, history shows quite the opposite, countries that are attracting large numbers of opportunistic immigrants are typically flourishing, and the waves of cheap labor and new talent feed that surge of prosperity.

They like painting some bleak future where these dangerous foreigners must be turned away for the good of society, but they already want to do that, when these conditions do not exist. They are contriving a scenario to fit their agenda, and it still doesn't make sense. Even in crisis we are going to want the additional brain and muscle power that comes with immigration.
    You're talking about immigration though. The topic of this thread is 'climate migration' which doesn't require people to go through any formal process. Anybody could claim they are victims of some climate issue and then use it as an excuse to bypass the proper channels.

Boats = stopped
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

If we continue the current trajectory I'd say our president will conclude that Asia and Africa do not exist, and are just conspiracies made up by the lizardmen as they go to play another round of golf with wealthy donors who have completely bought out the government.

If we manage to hit full idiocracy, I hope I'm dead by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Settle down and do not turn discussion into a debate over genocide and forbidden topics.
    Idiot moderator makes stupid suggestion that will be ignored to genocidal racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    If we continue the current trajectory I'd say our president will conclude that Asia and Africa do not exist, and are just conspiracies made up by the lizardmen as they go to play another round of golf with wealthy donors who have completely bought out the government.

If we manage to hit full idiocracy, I hope I'm dead by then.
    Finland doesnt excist *just joined the ''finland-does-not-excist meme'' *

The people of my country shouted "send them back" about natural born citizens because they happen to have brown skin. The average american would rather a desperate refugee die of thirst in the desert then allow them in.
    What have the years of your life taught you to be?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

You never saw the foam storm in China Szechuan province or the statistics about the plastic dumping from a few rivers in Africa and Asia.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...ust-10-rivers/

Not a "white" issue but a greed issue kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Best thing about idiots calling for a culling is that it's always guys who want to kill Africans and their kids. While themselves being first world citizens damaging our planet more than a whole village in the bush does. If ever the time comes humans get murdered to save the planet it's us white fuckers who'll get the axe first.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scrandir View Post
    Idiot moderator makes stupid suggestion that will be ignored to genocidal racist.
    Odd, mods here are pro Trumps and/or white nationalists... I get temp ban every time I post pro-human knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    Odd, mods here are pro Trumps and/or white nationalists... I get temp ban every time I post pro-human knowledge...
    I suppose you have to be that dumb to volunteer to be an unpaid moderator.

Nobody would flee here.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Pretty much this.

I think as conflict goes up and generel wealth goes down, things like "human decency" will only extend to people close to you.. family, etc... refugees and the like will be seen as putting stress on an already stressed - and that that point broken - system.
    Imagine being packed into a concrete jungle with thousands/millions of people that don't trust each other, don't have the same values, don't speak the same language, and don't wish to adapt to the people who were already there. Sounds like a nightmare.