Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The committee basically confirmed my thoughts on Wins vs Losses. Its better to have the loss vs an unranked and beat your ranked opponents. Losing to a ranked shows you cant get a big win, whereas a lose to unranked could just be a fluke or bad game. They still take a look at the losses but the rankings really do reflect the rewards for wins more.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Again you're wrong. The Big 12 has been in FOUR times. The Pac 12 twice. Before you say something stupid again let me leave this for you.

CFP History:

SEC- 6 times 2 Champions

ACC-6 times 2 Champions

Big10-4 times 1 Champion

Big 12- 4 times

Pac 12-2 times

And if you don't believe me read it here. I don't deal in fantasy, I deal in reality. I base my opinions on factual evidence. Of the Power 5 conferences, the Pac 12 is the worst where it counts the most. Being relevant in the CFP.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/s...2/history.aspx
    Using your link I only see three Big-12 appearances. All Oklahoma. I was using the wiki site for my info so I thought I missed one. Who was the fourth?

I turned off my snarkiness setting, sorry about that.

Of course I'm upset that Oregon didn't make it, but I don't think they got screwed. They dug their own grave by showing up for the ASU game in the fourth quarter.

People trashing on the PAC12 without a lot of evidence just bothers me. Like someone saying above that USC is the only solid team, when that hasn't been true for 20+ years.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh, Texas plays Utah in Alamo. Instead of the dream of against Texas AM in Texas bowl. bunch of cowards! This isnt exciting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Using your link I only see three Big-12 appearances. All Oklahoma. I was using the wiki site for my info so I thought I missed one. Who was the fourth?

I turned off my snarkiness setting, sorry about that.

Of course I'm upset that Oregon didn't make it, but I don't think they got screwed. They dug their own grave by showing up for the ASU game in the fourth quarter.

People trashing on the PAC12 without a lot of evidence just bothers me. Like someone saying above that USC is the only solid team, when that hasn't been true for 20+ years.
    Oklahoma this year. I included the CFP released this morning that's not shown on their site.

I say USC is the only blue blood. That's not the same. Also it's been 10 years, not 20+

They haven't been good since Pete Carroll was there it's true. I believe that a conference needs it's blue blood programs to be successful in order to garner more attention and respect. It also makes the other teams better.

What's the Big 10 without Ohio St. and Michigan? SEC without Alabama? Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma? ACC without ...well they don't have any true blue bloods lol. Clemson, Miami and Florida St. have had championship runs but none of them have the overall historical total wins, win percentage, all americans, Heisman winners etc that makes a team a blue blood. The Pac 12 has USC, considered one of the Top 10 football programs in college history. If they can get rolling again, the rest of the Pac 12 gets better.

I want to add one thing. I don't hate on any conference. I love all college football. I think the better each conference is the better the product. I want big meaningful games. The only way to get that is for every conference to be good. I hope the Pac 12 gets better because it's better for college football. People start to tune out when it's the same 6 or so teams making the CFP every year.
    Last edited by Budong; 2019-12-08 at 09:09 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oklahoma this year. I included the CFP released this morning that's not shown on their site.

I say USC is the only blue blood. That's not the same.

They haven't been good since Pete Carroll was there it's true. I believe that a conference needs it's blue blood programs to be successful in order to garner more attention and respect. It also makes the other teams better.

What's the Big 10 without Ohio St. and Michigan? SEC without Alabama? Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma? ACC without ...well they don't have any true blue bloods lol. Clemson, Miami and Florida St. have had championship runs but none of them have the overall historical total wins, win percentage, all americans, Heisman winners etc that makes a team a blue blood. The Pac 12 has USC, considered one of the Top 10 football programs in college history. If they can get rolling again, the rest of the Pac 12 gets better.
    Well that's pretty fucking unfair, lol - j/k. Ok, good point, of course we should include this year.

Interesting point about the Blueblood teams. Oregon has dominated the PAC 12 the last two decades, but certainly USC is the historic leader, with multiple championships and Heisman winners. I have to agree with you there.

Lol re the ACC too. I would say if they had one it would be Miami.

And apologies again for earlier. Muto is who that was really aimed at. Thought I should say it again, given we don't see that enough on the interwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    oh, Texas plays Utah in Alamo. Instead of the dream of against Texas AM in Texas bowl. bunch of cowards! This isnt exciting at all.
    Will it be Oklahoma Aggies vs Cult Aggies?

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's pretty fucking unfair, lol - j/k. Ok, good point, of course we should include this year.

Interesting point about the Blueblood teams. Oregon has dominated the PAC 12 the last two decades, but certainly USC is the historic leader, with multiple championships and Heisman winners. I have to agree with you there.

Lol re the ACC too. I would say if they had one it would be Miami.

And apologies again for earlier. Muto is who that was really aimed at. Thought I should say it again, given we don't see that enough on the interwebs.
    It's good. I figured we agreed on more than we disagreed

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's good. I figured we agreed on more than we disagreed
    Excellent, and indeed we do.

I have to say I'm excited to see Georgia vs Baylor in the Sugar Bowl and the CFP with LSU vs OK - we'll see what happens when the Big-12 has to play a real team.

Some other great SEC vs BIG10 teams as well in the Bowl lineup.

Excellent, and indeed we do.

I have to say I'm excited to see Georgia vs Baylor in the Sugar Bowl and the CFP with LSU vs OK - we'll see what happens when the Big-12 has to play a real team.

Some other great SEC vs BIG10 teams as well in the Bowl lineup.
    I think Baylor beats Georgia so that makes them a real team.

What you'll even up with is a few Georgia players not caring or wanting to play in a meanless bowl game so they don't hurt their NFL stock by getting hurt that the game will not be a true measure of anything. I agree that that sort of attitude is selfish but that is the thinking of the world today.

I agree with this ranking of 1-4 everything below that you can just really pull names out of a hat. Also, I think 1-4 will bring us some good football.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    What you'll even up with is a few Georgia players not caring or wanting to play in a meanless bowl game so they don't hurt their NFL stock by getting hurt that the game will not be a true measure of anything. I agree that that sort of attitude is selfish but that is the thinking of the world today.

I agree with this ranking of 1-4 everything below that you can just really pull names out of a hat. Also, I think 1-4 will bring us some good football.
    I agree as well, with a side helping of Baylor and Oklahoma being overrated because the only ranked teams they've played are themselves. Twice. Whereas teams like Georgia and Oregon have good out of conference measures.

Well see how it goes re 1-4. LSU vs Ohio State will be fantastic as a final.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Baylor is going to get killed by Georgia.

That sounds terrific. I gotta say I really appreciate your deeper analysis and points on the college football issues.

I'm kinda surprised they haven't moved to an eight game system yet. I've heard that the committee was resolved to keep it as is for at least the next few years.

- - - Updated - - -

Except for that pesky Oregon team that made the CFP final. You and @muto bias against the Pac-12 makes most of your opinions not even worth reading - except for a good laugh.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. LSU is going to absolutely crush OU. I'm very interested to see how the Clemson vs Ohio State goes.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree as well. Would have been interesting if Oregon hadn't slit their wrists against ASU. Like Georgia did against SC. But that's college football...if only.
    Thanks. I wish I could say I was surprised that they've been so hesitant to move to an 8-team playoff, but I think it's a combination of people being beholden to tradition even if it's holding the sport back, revenue streams (one could argue that the bigger the CFP, the more "devauled" the larger bowl games are, even if you can structure it in a way that they aren't), and old-fashioned bureaucratic inertia.

As long as fans still watch and go to the games, including the CFP games, the pressure to improve the system is low. But the more that ratings and attendance falls (the CFP has seen ratings fluctuate, but they also seem to be on a slight downward trend), the more pressure it puts on the coaches to create better games. The more pressure coaches feel to create stronger schedules, the more pressure they'll put on the ADs and the CFP committee to expand the playoff so that losing 1 game won't knock you out of the playoff.

A lot of the schools are already scheduling in the future under the assumption that it'll get expanded beyond 4 teams, so I think it'll happen no matter what. I'd just rather it happen sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    You can make an argument to put Clemson at #2 though it doesn’t really matter because #2 plays #3.
    Clemson played no one all season; there are zero arguments to put them at #2. Not that I'd expect much else from the #1 OSU hater on the forum tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Clemson played no one all season; there are zero arguments to put them at #2. Not that I'd expect much else from the #1 OSU hater on the forum tho.
    Mutie's bias is pretty documented, but I think LSU at #1 was a pretty clear choice - and I really, really dislike the SEC. Their destruction of Georgia's "vaunted" defense was legion. And Clemson, despite their ridiculous cupcake schedule, wouldn't fall to #3, so the match-up was already set it stone, barring an upset in the conference champ games (the ACC one was so close - I was concerned).

Ohio State (another team I have, um, mixed feeling about - I'm an Oregon fan, you can understand my angst) while making it closer with Wisconsin, seems very solid. I do hope they beat Clemson and we see a terrific Big-10 vs SEC CFP final. I look at Oklahoma was someone who just eeked in after a pretty cheeky season.

Mutie's bias is pretty documented, but I think LSU at #1 was a pretty clear choice - and I really, really dislike the SEC. Their destruction of Georgia's "vaunted" defense was legion. And Clemson, despite their ridiculous cupcake schedule, wouldn't fall to #3, so the match-up was already set it stone, barring an upset in the conference champ games (the ACC one was so close - I was concerned).

Ohio State (another team I have, um, mixed feeling about - I'm an Oregon fan, you can understand my angst) while making it closer with Wisconsin, seems very solid. I do hope they beat Clemson and we see a terrific Big-10 vs SEC CFP final. I look at Oklahoma was someone who just eeked in after a pretty cheeky season.
    I really don't think there's enough evidence to say that LSU or OSU are clearly better than the other one. That's not to say I don't understand why LSU is ranked higher, but it's one of those situations where I really wouldn't be surprised by either team beating the other one in any fashion (close game or blow out).

As for who I want to see win? Nothing would bring me more joy than seeing a Clemson vs OU final. Watching the two teams everyone was willing to write-off take out the two teams everyone said were untouchable would be the icing on the cake that is seeing Alabama get left out of the NY6. The excuses people would trot out would be far more entertaining than another OSU vs SEC game.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Don’t worry hopefully they’ll have that signature win you’re saying they don’t have soon enough. I expect an LSU-Clemson final and I want LSU to win, but I have a feeling Clemson will. They’re building a dynasty there like Nebraska was in the 90s.
    Last edited by muto; 2019-12-13 at 10:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    I really don't think there's enough evidence to say that LSU or OSU are clearly better than the other one. That's not to say I don't understand why LSU is ranked higher, but it's one of those situations where I really wouldn't be surprised by either team beating the other one in any fashion (close game or blow out).

As for who I want to see win? Nothing would bring me more joy than seeing a Clemson vs OU final. Watching the two teams everyone was willing to write-off take out the two teams everyone said were untouchable would be the icing on the cake that is seeing Alabama get left out of the NY6. The excuses people would trot out would be far more entertaining than another OSU vs SEC game.
    LSU/Clemson is possible, but there is no way Oklahoma is going to beat LSU. That game is over before it starts.

As far as Clemson, well I don't know. Everyone can point to the fact they haven't played anyone, which is certainly true, but then they haven't lost to anyone in a long time either. I would still bet on OSU there, but Clemson is a hard one to count out. Especially since they tend to come out swinging in the CFP.

So overall, I would put the LSU/Oklahoma game at 95% chance of LSU winning, and the OSU/Clemson game is basically a coin flip, with maybe a slight edge to OSU. LSU will have tough game against either of them for the Championship.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    LSU/Clemson is possible, but there is no way Oklahoma is going to beat LSU. That game is over before it starts.

As far as Clemson, well I don't know. Everyone can point to the fact they haven't played anyone, which is certainly true, but then they haven't lost to anyone in a long time either. I would still bet on OSU there, but Clemson is a hard one to count out. Especially since they tend to come out swinging in the CFP.

So overall, I would put the LSU/Oklahoma game at 95% chance of LSU winning, and the OSU/Clemson game is basically a coin flip, with maybe a slight edge to OSU. LSU will have tough game against either of them for the Championship.
    And with Oklahoma losing some of their starters, LSU is going to roll over them. I hope Georgia brings their full game against Baylor - should be a slaughter.

I agree that the OSU/Clemson game could be a toss up. Clemson's cupcake schedule belies the fact that they kicked the hell out of the CFP playoff opponents last year. Who knows how it will go this year. For sure OSU is a solid team. Should be a good game.

The final should be LSU vs Ohio State. That and the Rose Bowl constitutes my bowl watching schedule.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    LSU vs Oklahoma just started. Three plays into OK's offense:

1. Hurts sacked.
    2. Running back loss of 5.
    3. Who fucking cares.
    4. Punt.

This game was over before it started.

- - - Updated - - -

LSU gets the ball. Four plays later the all-time passing record holder Heisman Trophy winner Burrow scores, with just 3 minutes off the clock. I've never, ever, like LSU, but holy shit do they look good. I'm sincerely glad the Oregon Ducks are playing Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl this year.

- - - Updated - - -

OK is on the board. Nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow - LSU just got away with a huge pass interference.

- - - Updated - - -

I went to the bathroom and LSU scored again. Wow, still First Quarter.

10+ Year Old Account
    LSU vs Clemson?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, lets be honest, LSU may have gotten away with 1 but Oklahoma literally should be called for holding on every offensive play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    LSU vs Clemson?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, lets be honest, LSU may have gotten away with 1 but Oklahoma literally should be called for holding on every offensive play.
    Interesting, I think LSU vs. Ohio State. Obviously the second semi-final game is going to be more interesting.

Lol re Oklahoma holding.