Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New PC for Christmas (MUST BE PREBUILT)

So my dad has agreed to finance a PC for me, for that I am thankful. It HAS to be prebuilt, and I think I've decided to go with ibuypower.

Before I confirm the order, I'd just like a "looks good to me" reassurance.

Case NZXT H710 Tempered Glass Gaming Case - Matte White
    Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor (12x 3.8GHZ/64MB L3 Cache)
    Processor Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 240mm Liquid Cooling System
    Memory 32 GB [16 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - GSKILL Ripjaws V
    Video Card AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - 8GB - MSI MECH OC (VR-Ready)
    Motherboard MSI X570-A PRO -- USB 3.2 (6 Rear, 2 Front) - Free Upgrade to MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
    Power Supply 750 Watt - CORSAIR RM750X - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
    Primary Hard Drive 1 TB ADATA SU750 SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Write: 520MB/s - Dual 1TB Drives (2TB Capacity) - RAID 0 High Performance
    Data Hard Drive - [FREE] 2 TB SEAGATE HARD DRIVE 7200RPM - Today Only
    Monitor 27" [2560x1440] MSI Optix MAG271CQR Curved Gaming Monitor - 144Hz 1ms + AMD FreeSync + G-Sync Compatible - Single Monitor
    Speaker System Logitech Z213 2.1 Speaker System - Compact, efficient design; Convenient control pod
    Advanced Build Options - Thermal Paste Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste - Increase your cooling efficiency with upgraded thermal paste

For those curious, it's a little over $2700. Not bad for a computer that comes WITH a 1440P monitor & a speaker system. I plugged the system into PCPartpicker, and it looks like they're only going to make about $162.
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2019-12-08 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's... good? I guess? I would probably want to swap out virtually every part in there. There's nothing 'bad' about anything, but there's nothing that makes me go "Good choice" either.

Also, just because you're alotted a certain amount doesn't mean you HAVE to spend that. If it were me, I'd spend like $700 less on silly parts and do something like getting nicer speakers or accessories or (pinch me, I know), just not spend that much.

Are you doing anything that warrants a 3900X? An X570 board? Raiding two 1TB SATA SSD's seems silly/stupid. There's just a lot of fluff present that could be done cheaper with no real performance losses.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It's... good? I guess? I would probably want to swap out virtually every part in there. There's nothing 'bad' about anything, but there's nothing that makes me go "Good choice" either.

Also, just because you're alotted a certain amount doesn't mean you HAVE to spend that. If it were me, I'd spend like $700 less on silly parts and do something like getting nicer speakers or accessories or (pinch me, I know), just not spend that much.

Are you doing anything that warrants a 3900X? An X570 board? Raiding two 1TB SATA SSD's seems silly/stupid. There's just a lot of fluff present that could be done cheaper with no real performance losses.
    I want the absolute best I can grab. I play a few games that I'm sure will utilize the 3900X quite well (such as Cities: Skylines) Can you give me pointers on what to change to save money I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    3900x is going to be super overkill for pretty much everything. If you're just going to play games, downgrade to a 3600 or 3700x
    X52 is okay
    32gb RAM is overkill, go 16. 3200 is also a bit slow
    GPU is fine
    MOBO is meh, both of them.
    PSU is pretty good
    I probably wouldn't go with a 2tb raid0 array for my OS.. That just seems weird.
    No comment amount monitor or speakers

I'd also probably go with something from NZXT's Letsbld instead.. Something like this: https://www.letsbld.com/bld/step5?pr...aft=2773295186
    Doesn't come with speakers, but it'll perform better in games and is 350 dollars cheaper. For that amount of money you can get some real nice fucking speakers.

Edit: Saw that you play Cities: Skylines.. Yeah, I still wouldn't get a 3900x. It's just a silly overspending thing

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    3900x is going to be super overkill for pretty much everything. If you're just going to play games, downgrade to a 3600 or 3700x
    X52 is okay
    GPU is fine
    PSU is pretty good
    I probably wouldn't go with a 2tb raid0 array for my OS.. That just seems weird.

I'd also probably go with something from NZXT's Letsbld instead.. Something like this: https://www.letsbld.com/bld/step5?pr...aft=2773295186
    Doesn't come with speakers, but it'll perform better in games and is 350 dollars cheaper. For that amount of money you can get some real nice fucking speakers
    I've never been worried about speakers honestly. I've used my 10 year old monitor's built in speakers for the last 10 years LMAO. And about the CPU, I know it's pretty much overkill, and that's why I want it. I want the absolute best performance I can grab. I like having 32GB of ram as well, just because I play a super heavily modded Skyrim (Lexy's LotD) that eats about 12GB of ram.

Jesus Christ that's a unique use case I'll give you that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I want the absolute best I can grab.
    Why? That's sort of having more hard drives makes things load faster. Having a faster CPU doesn't necessarily make things better.

I play a few games that I'm sure will utilize the 3900X quite well (such as Cities: Skylines)
    What other games? Because Skylines from what I understand suffers/suffered the same issue as WoW for a long time. It uses a single core for everything, so getting a big multi-core CPU has no use, and will perform about as well as a CPU a third of it's price.

Can you give me pointers on what to change to save money I guess?
    Unfortunately, when prebuilding sometimes they don't give you a lot of choices.
    I'd drop the 3900X for like a 3700 or 3600. I'm not even sure 32gb of ram is necessary, 16gb is adequate unless you're doing things like editing. Gold rated PSU is a waste of money over Bronze. I'd ditch the entire storage system entirely. 2x TB SSD + 2TB HDD is .. just stupid. Just get a 2TB NVME SSD. And a B450 board.

(Also, why does it need to be prebuilt exactly?)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I know it's pretty much overkill, and that's why I want it. I want the absolute best performance I can grab.
    You're confusing 'best performance' with 'best theoretical performance'.

A 3900X isn't going to perform any better than a 3600 or 3700.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Why? That's sort of having more hard drives makes things load faster. Having a faster CPU doesn't necessarily make things better.

What other games? Because Skylines from what I understand suffers/suffered the same issue as WoW for a long time. It uses a single core for everything, so getting a big multi-core CPU has no use, and will perform about as well as a CPU a third of it's price.

Unfortunately, when prebuilding sometimes they don't give you a lot of choices.
    I'd drop the 3900X for like a 3700 or 3600. I'm not even sure 32gb of ram is necessary, 16gb is adequate unless you're doing things like editing. Gold rated PSU is a waste of money over Bronze. I'd ditch the entire storage system entirely. 2x TB SSD + 2TB HDD is .. just stupid. Just get a 2TB NVME SSD. And a B450 board.

(Also, why does it need to be prebuilt exactly?)

- - - Updated - - -

You're confusing 'best performance' with 'best theoretical performance'.

A 3900X isn't going to perform any better than a 3600 or 3700.
    Yes it will.

OP is not buying it, it looks like a gift. Stay with the faster processor. To most people it is a stretch to justify the extra dollars for the small increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Yes it will.

OP is not buying it, it looks like a gift. Stay with the faster processor. To most people it is a stretch to justify the extra dollars for the small increase.
    I mean, yeah, its a gift and doesn't cost a dollar. I'm also making the assumption that if you spend $300-600 less, then maybe that money could be allocated elsewhere. If its a case of 'Im gifting you a single click of 'purchase' on a website' then meh, I guess.

Personally (and this is purely me being me), if someone said they'd buy me whatever computer I wanted, I wouldn't abuse the generosity and get the most expensive thing possible.

Like many other said, 32 of ram is useless unless you do heavy video editing.
    Taking the 3900X over a 3700/3600 is like when you shop for your new yearly ferrari, having to choose between the one that can do 400 km/h or the one that can "only" do 375 km/h..... Get the 3700 instead, save some money and you wont even see the difference ever and buy some extra blingbling for the computer.

The raid0 ssd is also weird...

I mean, yeah, its a gift and doesn't cost a dollar. I'm also making the assumption that if you spend $300-600 less, then maybe that money could be allocated elsewhere. If its a case of 'Im gifting you a single click of 'purchase' on a website' then meh, I guess.

Personally (and this is purely me being me), if someone said they'd buy me whatever computer I wanted, I wouldn't abuse the generosity and get the most expensive thing possible.
    I already talked to my dad about this, and he agreed to get the best possible choice I could. I'm not abusing his generosity in the slightest, especially because he's just a co-signer.

To be honest the system will smoke just about any modern titles at 1440p. If you are looking to make slight adjustments I would aim for 16 gigs of faster ram over 32 gigs so what you got here. Ryzan likes fast ram and amount won't help you much unless you do something professional level video editing. Plus if amount does become an issue down the road its a cheaper and easy process to buy the same kit to double up. The storage on this thing is a little funky too. Feels like a way for IBP to push out a ton of old inventory while making it sound like your getting something amazing. But it's not going to kill the system by any means but when it comes to raid on a general use / gaming pc I tend not to do it. Just another thing that can go wrong without a huge pay off.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would drop the 3900X and get a 3700 (Waste of money for what your doing) and use the extra funds to get a 2080 Super instead of the 5700XT. I mean your putting a machine together for gaming and a mid range graphics card. Just makes no sense.

Having the absolute best (which is isnt, but close) and not utilizing it is like buying a Ferrari and living in the north pole. Spend those funds elsewhere that will benefit you.

And Raid 0 for the SSDs? Makes no sense either.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    X52 is okay
    GPU is fine
    PSU is pretty good

Doesn't come with speakers, but it'll perform better in games and is 350 dollars cheaper. For that amount of money you can get some real nice fucking speakers.

Edit: Saw that you play Cities: Skylines.. Yeah, I still wouldn't get a 3900x. It's just a silly overspending thing
    I have an MSI X570A-PRO board myself. Really isn't anything wrong with it. It runs 3800MHz RAM @ CAS14 no issue (all primary + subtimings tuned) R5 3600 @ 4.375Ghz. Because of the 3800MHz "limit" of zen 2, there really isnt any reason to get a more expensive board unless you get a CPU that demands big power delivery, or it has an I/O you need like 10G ethernet or you just like the way it looks.

Mechagnome
    3+ Year Old Account
    Downgrade the CPU and get yourself an RTX 2080 card instead, drop the RAID setup and just have 2 x 1 TB SSD. Trust me, you're going to need that space.

Your chosen graphics card is 'meh' at best, if you're really serious about wanting the best then you need to get a 2080 for 1440p. My ancient 1080ti probably smokes that card still.

The data drive is OK if it's free I suppose, I would never otherwise use normal drives for anything, rather stick another SSD in there. Memory is overkill if gaming is all you do but it doesn't hurt anyhow.
    Last edited by gobarj; 2019-12-09 at 12:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I actually went to IBP and put together something slightly different. I don't understand why, but it came out literally about $600 less.

Case NZXT H710 Tempered Glass Gaming Case - Matte White
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Processor (The only choices are 3600/X, 3800X, or 3900X, with the 3600/X being only $50 cheaper)
    Processor Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 240mm Liquid Cooling System
    Memory 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR4-3200 (There are virtually no RAM options. Its either 16gb 3200, 32gb 3200, or 16gb 4000 which is $400 more)
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6
    Motherboard ASUS TUF X470-PLUS GAMING
    Power Supply 650 Watt - CORSAIR TX650M 80 PLUS Gold, Semi Modular (IBP apparently only deals in Gold PSUs, so yeah)
    M.2/PCI-E SSD Card 2 TB Intel 660P Series M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD -- Read: 1800MB/s; Write: 1800MB/s
    Primary Hard Drive 480GB ADATA SU630 SSD (IBP literally doesn't let you pick an NVME drive only, you MUST pick a 'primary' non m.2 drive, no matter what. This is the cheapest, largest SSD that doesn't add additional cost)
    Operating System Windows 10 Home
    Monitor 27" [2560x1440] MSI Optix MAG271CQR Curved Gaming Monitor - 144Hz 1ms + AMD FreeSync + G-Sync Compatible - Single Monitor
    Speaker System Logitech Z213 2.1 Speaker System - Compact, efficient design; Convenient control pod

This comes out to about $2150 on their website. That said.. is there any situation where you can be like "Can I use that $600 elsewhere on the system, or a nice gaming chair or give food to charity' or something?

I dunno, i'd go with NZXT before i went with iBuyPower.

For ~2500:

https://www.letsbld.com/bld/step4?pr...aft=0219376571

3800X, 16GB of fast low CL RAM, 2 TB NVMe drive, 2080 SUPER, and the same monitor.

X570 board for more future-proof-ness if it matters.

Its a little more expensive, but NZXT's warranty and overall build quality are quite a bit higher (and its got a 2080 SUPER, not a 2070, which accounts for ~200$ of the cost difference alone).

Nvm imma derp lol.

So the OP does not really want help here, does he?
    Whats the point of the thread?

I second going all out on accessories. Having great speakers, mouse, and keyboard makes your PC *feel* way nicer and gives a better user experience for the money. Also don’t overlook having an ergonomic desk and chair.

Also why prebuilt? Why not build a PC together with your dad and save money? What happens in 5 years when you wanna upgrade, you’re gonna have to open up your PC anyway.