Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So you're going to enjoy millions of people suffering and dying?
    considering who your responding to and his posting history it's best you just stick him on ignore and leave him there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by insiderleaks View Post
    Watch the news
    how would you watch the news if the majority of tv stations would be out of action?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    If global warming has taught us anything then it is that a few decades will not be enough warning
    Apples and Oranges.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    It's a bit misleading that we know anything about supervolcano eruption predictability. We can barely predicts normal volcanos.

Yellowstone's could make earth quakes for years, it could also just blow tomorrow.
    I've already linked that the scientists that are actually studying this volcano don't believe that its likely to erupt anytime in the next few thousand years...and when it does decide to we'd likely have decades of warning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I mean, if it's thousends of years, maybe by then people will have figured out how to off shoot the thing into space instead of the atmosphere, seen as how they want to build skyscrapers into space at this stage.
    But either way maybe we will all be dead before it happens, so the only ones it going to matter for are our children and chridrens children and so on. Does make me concerned about my nephew's though
    If it's thousands of years, we'll likely have found plenty of other ways to make ourselves extinct by then. If we are still alive though we'll probably already be colonizing other planets and Earth will either be a distant memory or just another colony to evacuate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How do you know when it's going to blow up?
    I know its not gonna blow in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

It's not going to blow up in the next few thousand years or so. By then, humanity will have either colonized other planets or will have destroyed itself in some pointless nuclear war. Either way, it wouldn't be our problem.

To stop a bad supervolcano it just takes a good supervolcano with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    The most terrifying and overlooked issue in the U.S if not the world is the supervolcano in the western US that is bound to erupt any moment.
    Here's the thing... "any moment" in geological timescale can be decades or centuries. It's not "any day now" or "any year now", Yellowstone or whatever other catastrophic event (like meteor strikes) can happen tomorrow or in 50 years, or 500 years from now.
    Specifically with geological activity on the west coast of the USA (Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges/valleys) geologists have found traces of big incidents every 200-300 years for the past couple thousand years and it's "about time" for another one, maybe tomorrow- maybe 50 years from now.

It's kinda "fun" to see geology and traces of earth movement, the rocky mountanis connect all the way down through Mexico, through central america and down to the Andes mountain range. It also goes up through Canada and into Alaska, it's a massive geological "scar" that goes all the way north/south on the planet kinda like there are rifts and tears all over the planet. For example the San Andreas fault line or the Mid-Atlantic ridge.

I don't think these things are scary to think about, I find them interesting and tells us so much about our planet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    I know its not gonna blow in my lifetime.
    "know", it's been determined through geological archeology (meaning digging through layers of earth to find indicators of something happening) that major events, like a volcano, has happened every 200-300 years over the past couple thousand years along the Rocky Mountains ridge. IF the pattern is to continue then another major event is due to happen in this century, but it could be tomorrow or in 50 years- impossible to tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    It's not going to blow up in the next few thousand years or so. By then, humanity will have either colonized other planets or will have destroyed itself in some pointless nuclear war. Either way, it wouldn't be our problem.
    Yellowstone specifically might not erupt but as mentioned before the previous patterns do indicate that a major geological event is due to happen in this century. It could be a massive earthquake or it could be a volcano, or something completely different.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

What I do after? Hell if I know. I live at finland which is pretty far away and probably will have only minor initial effects.

But, if US sinks in ash, global economy is going to just break. US also produces lots food and, if US sinks in ash, there is probably going to be global food shortage soon. Then there is going to be lots of ash in the atmosphere, which will probably cause a ice age. Not sure of its length, but its going to be at minimum years. Finland is northern country so that probably means we are going to sink in snow here instead.

I'll probably try to get some canned food+water stored somewhere and use that, if need be. Its not going to last long, but perhaps it will give me time to react to things.

I can only answer what I do before yellowstone errupts. Thats easy answer. I simply hope that it doesn't errupt in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I imagine the northern hemisphere would be fucked and central and southern africa would suddenly become prime real estate
    might be a good time to buy one of those 1 euro houses in sicily just incase then ^^

We couldn't survive it. Our best option would be to prevent it via some sort of engineering wonder to relieve pressure on Yellowstone by venting it off elsewhere. If we can't do that, we'd need a system of gigantic greenhouses in low earth orbit. We may be able to still live on the Earth's surface but we'd need those greenhouses in space to grow food which would be shipped back down to us.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-12-08 at 02:27 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

The most terrifying and overlooked issue in the U.S if not the world is the supervolcano in the western US that is bound to erupt any moment. Even if you're out the blast radius, super-tsunami, super-earthquakes and the shifting of the plates will wreck so much havoc on this planet and if that doesn't scare you? The ashfall out will cover the sun and super-cool the Earth for hundreds of years.
    I call that a win. Cancels out Global Warming and stops the US having a nuclear war with anybody.

I will die good and fast. Which I look at as a positive as nuclear winter sets in for everyone else.

Humans would survive it but we would go back into a dark age but with current technology. Remember that this thing erupted at least twice during our species lifespan. The population would decrease significantly but the rich and experienced would be the likely ones to be the survivors as they would have immediate access to underground facilities in preparation for this.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Most scientists say the warning signs will be obvious for like a decade or more before it goes.

Better question is, how do you evacuate multiple states for decades.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Most scientists say the warning signs will be obvious for like a decade or more before it goes.
    Yeah if it goes poof by itself. However if it's triggered by another event such as a big earthquake in the area, it can pop whenever.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Yeah if it goes poof by itself. However if it's triggered by another event such as a big earthquake in the area, it can pop whenever.
    San Andreas or that volcano ring near russia, japan and hawaii at the same time? Bye bye western coast.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    As someone who lives in northeast Georgia, would I be far enough away to at least have a chance? Or is this pretty much just an "everyone in the US is fucked beyond belief" deal?

If I have a chance, I'll probably try to hole up and survive. If it's the "you're fucked no matter what you do" deal...I dunno. I guess just sit on the porch with some beer and watch the apocalypse until I'm dead, assuming I even have time to do that.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-12-09 at 05:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    As someone who lives in northeast Georgia, would I be far enough away to at least have a chance? Or is this pretty much just an "everyone in the US is fucked beyond belief" deal?

If I have a chance, I'll probably try to hole up and survive. If it's the "you're fucked" deal...I dunno. I guess just sit on the porch with some beer and watch.
    The Yellowstone supervolcano erupting big time is practically apocalypse for everyone on the continent (at least North America). And a huge fucking disaster for the rest of the world.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I don't know where I'mma gonna go when the volcano blows ♪
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

An event such as this is the closest to an extinction level event that we are aware of.
    I'd say a good 90-95% is dead within a century of it occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    An event such as this is the closest to an extinction level event that we are aware of.
    I'd say a good 90-95% is dead within a century of it occurring.
    I wouldn't put that number so high, humans are almost like cockroaches. We survived Toba going off 75,000 years ago, we(as a species) would probably survive, if by the skin of our teeth again.

Humans would survive it but we would go back into a dark age but with current technology. Remember that this thing erupted at least twice during our species lifespan. The population would decrease significantly but the rich and experienced would be the likely ones to be the survivors as they would have immediate access to underground facilities in preparation for this.

Not really, modern man came about around 200k-300k years ago and the last 2 eruptions at Yellowstone took place 630k and 1.3 million years ago.