Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    So Ted Cruz went on Meet The Press and spouted Russian propaganda that Ukraine meddled in 2016 elections.

https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/sta...987997699?s=20
    Rick Wilson called him "Fat Wolverine", and I'm sticking with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Ted Cruz went on Meet The Press and spouted Russian propaganda that Ukraine meddled in 2016 elections.
    This is an outrage! Let's find everyone who intentionally hired Ukrainian agents during the election and throw them out of office!

- - - Updated - - -

Trump tweets, because of course he did,

Kim Jong Un is too smart and has far too much to lose, everything actually, if he acts in a hostile way. He does not want to void his special relationship with the President of the United States

(By the way, go ahead and click on that link, it's okay I promise)

North Korea, of course, says, "WHAT? WE CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER ALL THESE MISSILE LAUNCHES! HAVE YOU TRIED TWEETING IN ALL CAPS?"

If the test proves to be of a missile, it would set a record for the most missile launches North Korea has ever conducted in a year, according to Bruce Riedel of the Heritage Foundation. Riedel is among North Korea analysts who have noted that the Trump administration has not taken a very tough approach with Pyongyang, declining to apply a wide range of the sanctions at its disposal against either North Korea or countries that do business with it, such as China.

The White House has also made repeated concessions to Kim, canceling and postponing the Pentagon's joint military exercises with South Korea, most recently in November, after North Korea had objected. Those steps have not yielded progress, Klingner and others say.

"President Trump has adopted a weaker version of the Obama Administration's strategic patience police and timid incrementalism of sanctions enforcement," Klinger told CNN in November.

Though Trump said in his Sunday tweets that North Korea "must denuclearize as promised," the country's ambassador to the United Nations, Kim Song, said Saturday that denuclearization was off the table in negotiations with the US, which he claimed had been a "time-saving trick" to benefit a "domestic political agenda."
    So much bolded. So much emphasis. The only reason Trump isn't even worse of a failure is because NK got greedy and blew up one of their own testing sites. That's it. Trump is now the sole owner of negative diplomacy: worse results for a higher cost.

Are we tired of winning yet?

The United States ambassador to Denmark barred an American NATO expert critical of President Trump from speaking at an international conference hosted by the American embassy and a Danish think tank, prompting the event’s cancellation https://t.co/361lI4NRcz
    https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/sta...281874945?s=19

Another international embarrassment by Trump cause he can't have his ego bruised.

An oh btw about the American ambassador to Denmark who barred him. A Trump donor, who was in the the movie we all know, iDeathstalker 2 and chiropractic therapy.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2019-12-09 at 05:56 AM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Wait, did he...I don't...doesn't he have a proofreader?
    Plot twist, he thinks men should also be able to become pregnant.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Plot twist, he thinks men should also be able to become pregnant.
    Well, he does have a rivalry with the only male governor that did.

10+ Year Old Account
    who was in the the movie we all know, Deathstalker 2 and chiropractic therapy.
    Now hold up, some of us know Deathstalker 2.

Tinyface from Chopping Mall is the lead actor.

10+ Year Old Account

https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/sta...987997699?s=20
    And Ukraine and Russia are now on speaking terms. In the middle of Trump's impeachment. Nothing Putin does is by accident of coincidence.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Trump, speaking to the Israeli American Council: "You're not nice people at all, but you have to vote for me. You have no choice. You're not going to vote for Pocahontas, I can tell you that. You're not going to vote for the wealth tax!" https://t.co/IXoaVUw6MU
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...896791040?s=19

Can't get more antisemitic than this. Jews only caring about money and taxes.

Trump, speaking to the Israeli American Council: "We have to get the people of our country, of this country, to love Israel more ... because you have people that are Jewish people, that are great people -- they don't love Israel enough. You know that." https://t.co/sruLxwC5vY
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...086903809?s=19

Sorry this should be first. Trump made this statement prior to the one above.

Once again Trump saying people of a certain religious belief must swear a loyalty to him. We can go deeper with him asking the Jewish people to swear loyalty l.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Working as intended.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1Y80IA

Kushners portfolio continues to grow, now he's helping with the China "trade deal" that's totes gonna get done by the 15th of December.

Totes.
    This one is from early in the administration, but apparently still applies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't get more antisemitic than this.
    About that:

Jewish groups criticized President Trump for using anti-Semitic tropes while speaking to the Israeli-American Council on Saturday night.

The Jewish Democratic Council of America said his remarks were “deeply offensive” in that they repeated “negative stereotypes that have been used historically to target Jews.”

The remarks doubled down on the group's critique that Trump is the “biggest threat to American Jews,” which the group highlighted in an ad released last month.

“We strongly denounce these vile and bigoted remarks in which the president – once again – used anti-Semitic stereotypes to characterize Jews as driven by money and insufficiently loyal to Israel,” Jewish Democratic Council Executive Director Halie Soifer said in a statement Sunday.

“He even had the audacity to suggest that Jews ‘have no choice’ but to support him, and that we should ‘get people out of [our] country’ in order to increase support of Israel,” she added.
    And to further what you said, Trump used this as the reason Jews had to vote for him:

You're not going to vote for the wealth tax. Yeah, let's take 100 percent of your wealth away
    I'm not sure which is more offensive, the clearly racist viewpoint that Jews have more money because they're Jewish, or that the wealth tax was going to take 100% of someone's wealth away. But then, "is Trump racist or stupid?" is a question that has no good answer anyhow.

In other news:

North Korea calls Trump a heedless and erratic old man.

Trump tweets that FOX News panders to Democrats by having Democrat guests. As opposed to, say, realizing FOX News is looking out for their ratings which Trump values more than oxygen, and/or the old "fair and balanced" tagline.

2019 saw a record amount of money removed from the stock market.

Analysts say the trend highlights investors’ apprehension toward a stock market buffeted by the long-running U.S.-China trade war and lingering worries about a potential recession
    -- WSJ summary of the report

And to me most importantly, I had posted earlier there was a very weak jobs report just before a very strong jobs report came out. Turns out, there are two different job reports, BLS and a private group. Until this last report, they've been fairly close. This time, they were way off.

Since 2019 has basically shown a downwards trend, the Nov job spike doesn't make a ton of sense, being well over the value predicted by just about everyone. If the gap between these two continues, it's going to call into question BLS' numbers in the future.

@Breccia, did you do anything yet on how Trump got played by Democrats again? In you know, how he agreed to 15 week parental leave for all Federal Employees (a long time Democratic priority) in exchange for changing the letterhead, some velcro patches and some logos on buildings and renaming US Air Force Space Command and a few other groups into "US Space Force"?

It's fucking hilarious. The master negotiator is at it again. Trading away the farm for his side in exchange for nothing.

And a quick reminder, the US Space Force will be part of the US Air Force, like the Marine Corps is part of the Navy. Its senior officer will be the "Commandant of the Space Corps" (again, like the Marine Corps), and something around 20,000 of its expected 30,000 servicemembers will have been from US Air Force Space Command.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    @Breccia, did you do anything yet on how Trump got played by Democrats again?
    No, there's a lot going on and it's tough to keep up. Did you see that a record number of Americans are putting off medical treatment for a serious issue due to costs, mostly low-income Americans, surpassing every year in Obama's tenure. As a reminder, Obama spearheaded the ACA because of exactly this reason. Trump, despite promising better health coverage for more people for less money, made it legal for the opposite to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    @Breccia, did you do anything yet on how Trump got played by Democrats again? In you know, how he agreed to 15 week parental leave for all Federal Employees (a long time Democratic priority) in exchange for changing the letterhead, some velcro patches and some logos on buildings and renaming US Air Force Space Command and a few other groups into "US Space Force"?

It's fucking hilarious. The master negotiator is at it again. Trading away the farm for his side in exchange for nothing.

And a quick reminder, the US Space Force will be part of the US Air Force, like the Marine Corps is part of the Navy. Its senior officer will be the "Commandant of the Space Corps" (again, like the Marine Corps), and something around 20,000 of its expected 30,000 servicemembers will have been from US Air Force Space Command.
    The narcissist would give away his most treasured and prize position Ivanka, if he could boast that he alone created a military branch.

I had to research to make sure what this Space Force was again as a reminder and still is dumb. Yet, I researched to maybe see if this is tied to more or better Cyber Security. I know you will give me a 500 page report with charts, graphs and what not on which branch does what for Cyber Security (a little joke my friend). I wonder if we need more consolidation or at the least more money into Cyber Security and actually Cyber Warfare.

Anyways out of my knowledge on this but at least have Space Force deal with some pressing issues of today such as Cyber Security, than the almost crazy crap of outer space warfare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    If Republicans don't want to hear testimony that "impugns the motives of the president" they should just go home.
    Oh sorry, turns out I wasn't finished.

See, we've all heard about the shooting where a Saudi gunned down three American servicemen on US soil.

King Salman of Saudi Arabia just called to express his sincere condolences and give his sympathies to the families and friends of the warriors who were killed and wounded in the attack that took place in Pensacola, Florida.

The King said that the Saudi people are greatly angered by the barbaric actions of the shooter, and that this person in no way shape or form represents the feelings of the Saudi people who love the American people
    That's Trump tweeting within hours, despite no motive being known yet.

Plus, you know, Nazis being "very fine people".

The GOP is not allowed to dismiss or deny under-oath testimony about motive, when Trump has made it clear the motive of any crime is what he wants it to be.

Both Trump and Esper have claimed they would review the program after the shooting, while others, including multiple GOP lawmakers, are calling for something stronger -- specifically, the Saudis fully cooperating in the investigation -- and a re-evaluation of the US's alliance with the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Two more things -- see @Skroe that's why I missed the "velcro" bit -- just popped up.

One, Trump is heading to court this time it's the Emoluments Clause. This is a direct result of Trump using his office to promote and funnel money into his businesses, which he did not divest from.

Two, related to your story, as the budget battle continues there's a surprising development:

In addition to border barrier cash, appropriators have grappled with how much money to allocate for the National Institutes of Health and whether to mandate federal spending on gun violence research.

Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), the ranking member on the House Labor-HHS-Education spending panel, said on Friday that his bill is nearly complete. While members on the panel are still talking, he said he thinks NIH will end up “with a substantial increase.”

“I think we’re on the same page there,” he said.
    That's not an issue you'd expect to find -- unless you knew Democrats had Trump over a barrel. It's not like he's in a good place to veto a spending bill.

"Again".

Yes, again.

The narcissist would give away his most treasured and prize position Ivanka, if he could boast that he alone created a military branch.

I had to research to make sure what this Space Force was again as a reminder and still is dumb. Yet, I researched to maybe see if this is tied to more or better Cyber Security. I know you will give me a 500 page report with charts, graphs and what not on which branch does what for Cyber Security (a little joke my friend). I wonder if we need more consolidation or at the least more money into Cyber Security and actually Cyber Warfare.

Anyways out of my knowledge on this but at least have Space Force deal with some pressing issues of today such as Cyber Security, than the almost crazy crap of outer space warfare.
    Haha well I'll give you the executive summary of both the Space Force and "US Cyber Command" ongoing controversey, so you understand a little bit the situation. There will need to be a little bit of a history lesson.

At the dawn of the 20th century, warfare was confined to two principle domains - land for Armies and the sea for Navies. It had been that way for in one form or another, thousands of years. Countries and empires had discrete Armies and Navies into antiquity. And yeah there were other formations and small domains, but those were the two major ones where wars were fought - sea and air.

The period surrounding World War I saw the early introduction of two new domains - Air and what we call now the Electromagnetic Spectrum (back then, they called it "Signals"). War slowly and only minorly expanded into these two new domains. In the US and in other countries, the Army and Navy both had small but meaningful formations dedicated to "covering" that spectrum, but they weren't at the time significant enough to warrant their own service.

Over the 1920 and 1930s and 1940s, these technologies matured. Radio, cryptography even early computing started to emerge in recognizable forms. And Air Forces of course matured. At the outset of World War II, because of the way it had been since World War I, the Army and Navy both had their own Air Forces, although there was a realization that in the post-war era there would need to be a reorganization of responsibility. And that eventually happened, with the post-war founding of the Air Force. Now (as it was during World War II), Air was an official third major domain, on par with Land and Sea. The US organizationally responded by creating the new "Secretary of Defense" and putting the historic cabinet level "Secretary of the War" (renamed to Army) and "Secretary of the Navy" under it, along with the new Secretary of the Air Force. Other countries did similar things for the same reasons. As domains multiplied, they would need an efficient organization structure to addressing them.

Now a slight aside, although the Space Age formally began with Sputnik and Apollo is percieved as a Golden age, it goes somewhat unrecognzied by laymen how much of the normalization of Space has really happened in from mid 1990s, 2000s and 2010s. Even through the 1980s and into the mid 1990s, launching things into space was a big, expensive and fairly rare and challenging deal. There weren't all that many satellites by our standards even in the 1980s. Consider the famous "Landsat" program of landmark earth observation sattelites, a crucial joint venture between NASA, the DOD and the US Geological Survey. Through 1993, six Landstat satellites were launched at great expense by the US government (and 2 more since with 1 more next year) largely for the purpose of taking ever better, high quality, multispectral images of the planet. Huge scientific deal, even in the 1990s. Think about it in the 2020 context - a top down view of planet Earth as a novel thing. As a break through. Now, we can Google Maps or Google Earth anywhere in the globe (a landmark achievement in technology), which had its basis in Landstat maps, but has since been augmented by dozens of commercial, low cost Earth observation satellites whose modern capabilities eclipse the historic Landstat program. The "rare" thing for space 25 years ago has been normalized and commercialized today.

And i mean across the rest of Space exploration and sending things places, the last 20 years have been very much the Golden age. We've orbited Jupiter twice, with a third headed there next decade. We've orbited Saturn for the first time for 15 years, with a follow up next decade. We reliably go to Mars, in ever more specific and important programs. In fact there was a period back in 2015 when the US and it's international partners had a probe around Mercury, around Venus, around the Moon several around and on Mars, around Jupiter, around Saturn, passing Pluto, and several around or near asteroids... all that the same time. Incredible moment of achievement for the US, ESA and Japan.

So space is increasingly "normalized" and in the years to come will be ever more so. China and the ESA is trying to copy SpaceX's Falcon 9 architecture of reusable first stages. I believe that by the end of the 2030s, essentially all rockets, except the absolute biggest and absolute smallest (for which the economics are not a primary concern over performance), will be partially or entirely reusable.

And, pertaining to the topic, its normalization will engender its use for military purposes, much like air became. Part of that will mean, yes actual land claims on places like the Moon and Mars. That will likely be a thing, like it was Antartcia. But that's a very distant prospect. More near term will mean orbital imaging, orbital weaponry (both sattelite to sattelite and space to earth).

Consider one potential avenue of how this might come to be. If low costs, high endurance undersea drones become a thing later this century - as they are expected to be - then the survability of a Ballistic Missile submarine becomes not assured. Those subs survive largely due to the fact that Russia and China only have undersea sensors in so many places, and only send their relatively limited number of attack subs - numbering in the tens - out for a few months at a time top. The Ballistic Missile sub has an intrinsic advantage. Now replace those attack subs with thousands of drones - as many as we have flying drones - that can stay out there on a fuel cell for six months or a year. And are small, stealthy and can just wait. All of a sudden, the at sea deterrent isn't a sure bet anymore. All of a sudden a new deterrent is needed. Space based orbital weapons, in this scenario, is a promising avenue, especially if they can be stealthy and change their orbits with an ion drive. Yes I know it sounds exotic, but we're talking a 2060s conception... explain an Ohio-class Ballistic Missile submarine to someone in 1906, before there were ballistic missiles.

So what does this have to do with the Space Force (and Cyber Command which arose from a similar question)? It's fundamentally a question of efficient jurisdiction. There will need to be a Space Force one day, like there an Air Force is an inevitability. Space is being "normalized" much as air was. It will make sense to bring various distributed space activities under an umbrella (though some will stay with their existing structures). The question is, is now the time or is it too early? And what becomes a part of it and what stays out of it? Why doesn't the National Reconniscance Office or NASA become a part of it? Why doesn't it take charge of the Navy's independently run sattelites for communication with Ballistic Missile subs? It's a very complicated question of how to fold all these parts together into something that makes sense, is efficient, but also doesn't get in the way of the other services. A historical analogue, that took years to work out, is how the Department of Homeland Security was founded. And that still is a mess.

And with Cyber-Command its the same question. Cyberspace is a domain main created and is ever more important and "normalized". It's been called a "sixth domain". So Cyber Command ate up a bunch of independent efforts. Parts of the NSA got folded into it. But the CIA maintains independent programs, as do other services. But to put forward an unanswered question of jurisdiction - what happens if there is a Cyberattack by China or Russia on the computers of a US Navy destroyer... is that the responsibility of the Navy to address? Or US Cybercommand? Or both?

Hard question to answer huh? Policy makers have been wrestling untangling the knot for years. What I've described above is basically one of John McCain's unfinished legacy as the longtime chair or ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. Because he was committed to a reorganization that made sense, when these questions were figured. And he steadfastly resisted rushing into creating a Space Force or Cyber Command just for the sake of creating a new bureaucracy.

Trump started pushing the Space Force idea, evidently, because as President he was briefed by advisers on the ongoing debate as part of the 2017 budget negotiation process. They apparently laid out to him in a simple version of this, and said its unresolved. And because he mostly thinks in terms of marketing, and thought a Space Force sounded cool, he demanded its creation. Then Secretary of Defense Mattis, for his part, thought a Space Force should exist at some point, but it may be too soon.

For my space-enthusiast part, my opinion is that a Space Force around 2030 is a reasonable proposation, but a Space Force now is premature, and doing little more than changing the sinage of US Space Command. US Government (of which the DoD is just a part) space infrastructure is aging while commercial infrastructure has florushed. In fact most US Government launches the past five years have been "Continuity" missions... basically launching modestly improved copies of spacecraft launched in the 2000s to cover potential emerging capability gaps as fuel ran out, in order to buy time for US policy makers to decide on what the future US Space Infrastructure looks like.

The NRO, for example, had at least two ostensibly revolutionary spy satellite programs in the 2000s (that would have produced an entire family of next-gen satellites in the 2010s) the failed due to cost overruns and unready technology. NASA's Space Launch system is YEARS behind schedule though finally launching soonish. Planned major investments in things like laser based space communication for relay have been put off. It is just in the past year actually, that the long argued over plan to replace the ground based tracking infrastructure for our national missile defense program with a space based infrastructure moved to a resolution where, yes, we are going to build the damn thing (that should have been built 20 years ago because it's so objectively better).

And that doesn't even cover replacing all the aging shit the US government already has up there.

So I think before we have a Space Force and define its area of responsibilities, we should first define what the shape of US space based infrastructure will look like over the next 20 or 30 years. THe problem is, this is probably changing in a pretty radical way, due to a development in the past few years that may upend the entire 50 year old space infrastructure paradigm.

Microsats.

Why should the US government launch $5 billion monolithic satellites with a fuel tank that will last it 5-10 years, when instead it could develop a family of modular small (less than 100kg) satellites that can perform similar or superior operations acting as a swarm. Not only would this make the satellite system far more defensible (destroying hundreds of small microsats instead of a single big one the size of a truck or bus), but it would also enable economies of scale to drive the cost of systems and capabilities down. And when some fail, the entire system doesn't fail... there is built in redundancy.

Personally, I, and a lot of people, think this is the future of all unmanned space activities. Small, defensible economic swarms replacing monolithic vulnerable expensive platforms. But this technology needs a minimum of a decade to mature. So in my view, better to wait. Because historically, the newly independent US Air Force transitioned from propeller aircraft to ever more capable jet engined aircraft within a few years of its founding. Meanwhile Trump's Space Force will spend the next few years doing pretty much everything that US Air Force Space Command is already doing, with the same platforms. Better I think, to wait for the technological moment to arrive, so Space Force can ride the wave and it jurisdiction defined organically, than to do it prematurely and try an retrofit it later.

And that, in summary, was certainly not an executive summary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/09/u...stigation.html

The DOJ IG report is out on the FBI investigation into Trump.

The good news for Republicans: Some low level staffers made mistakes/improperly altered some documents relating to the FISA warrant for Carter Page. I haven't seen if the alterations were enough to alter the outcome yet (only did a quick skim), but it doesn't seem that way at first blush.

The bad news for Republicans: This was their best chance to prove the "DEEP STATE" exists and that everyone was "out to get Trump" and...it didn't do that at all.

This is a black eye for the FBI, but at the end of the day it's a win and it backs up that they largely acted appropriately and that the Trump campaign are not the victims of a "DEEP STATE" conspiracy against them.

Sorry Bill Barr, guess you'll have to rent out another $30K in rooms at a Trump property to make up for it.

Breaking: Inspector general report says FBI had "authorized purpose" to investigate Trump campaign's Russia ties but finds some wrongdoing https://t.co/c7fBRzbhpI
    BREAKING: ABC News can confirm that the Trump “family member” referenced in the Inspector General report who had a friendship with dossier author Chris Steele, was Ivanka. She met him in 2007 at a dinner in London when he was still working for MI6. https://t.co/W64i5GPqVK
    https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/...485239809?s=19

Holy Bleep! Ivanka was a leaker to Steele!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/09/u...stigation.html

The DOJ IG report is out on the FBI investigation into Trump.

The good news for Republicans: Some low level staffers made mistakes/improperly altered some documents relating to the FISA warrant for Carter Page. I haven't seen if the alterations were enough to alter the outcome yet (only did a quick skim), but it doesn't seem that way at first blush.

The bad news for Republicans: This was their best chance to prove the "DEEP STATE" exists and that everyone was "out to get Trump" and...it didn't do that at all.

This is a black eye for the FBI, but at the end of the day it's a win and it backs up that they largely acted appropriately and that the Trump campaign are not the victims of a "DEEP STATE" conspiracy against them.

Sorry Bill Barr, guess you'll have to rent out another $30K in rooms at a Trump property to make up for it.
    It's not even a black eye against the FBI...it may be a black eye for those low level staffers...but the FBI as a whole comes out looking clean and shiny.

Barr is already trying to spin it like he spun the Mueller report though:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/1499906001/

Attorney General William Barr, however, disagreed with the inspector general’s overall finding that the FBI's investigation was justified.

“The inspector general’s report now makes clear that the FBI launched an intrusive investigation of a U.S. presidential campaign on the thinnest of suspicions that, in my view, were insufficient to justify the steps taken,” Barr said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    *snip*
    That, and a major trucking company just declared bankruptcy today (and like farms, there have been alot of them going under this year)

Which raises several questions about the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    It's not even a black eye against the FBI...it may be a black eye for those low level staffers...but the FBI as a whole comes out looking clean and shiny.

Barr is already trying to spin it like he spun the Mueller report though:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/1499906001/
    Of course Trump's personal lawyer is out there spinning. That's what he's paying Trump to do.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.businessinsider.com/doj-...agents-2019-12

Womp womp, the FBI wasn't just a den of anti-Trump sentiment. Plenty of pro-Trump members.

There goes another debunked theory.