850 evo rapid mode vs 970 evo plus

Hey all,

So I just purchased the 970 Evo plus NVMe M.2 and immediately started doing some benchmarks and noticed that the 850 evo in rapid mode had significantly higher read/write speeds than my new 970 Evo so I did some research and turns out I learned that the rapid mode uses ram to cache which gives alternate and unreliable speed readings. That said, what does ram caching even do? Im not all that familiar with what that even does and if it's more beneficial just to use the 970 which apparently doesnt ram cache. Speed wise, why would I keep the 970 over the 850 in rapid mode? The speed differences are significant.

Yes, I've read the exact clip, still don't understand on whether or not to use the 850 evo over the 970. Is there any benefit using the 970 over the 850? What makes spending 200 bucks on the NVMe better than the older 850 in rapid mode...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartboomstick View Post
    Yes, I've read the exact clip, still don't understand on whether or not to use the 850 evo over the 970. Is there any benefit using the 970 over the 850? What makes spending 200 bucks on the NVMe better than the older 850 in rapid mode...
    Nothing, really. Outside of specific uses (not gaming or general usage) and benchmarks.

Personally, I wouldn't have gotten that. The Crucial P1 or Intel 660p is half the price for about the same performance.

I bought the P1 recently simple because it was a 1TB NVME that was the same price as 1TB Sata SSD
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What do you use the drive for? Unless you're doing massive writes to it I doubt you'll notice a significant difference between the two.
    To be honest, I only game on my system. Sometimes watch youtube BS but other than that not much other than game. So should I just get my money back for the drive if I'm not gonna notice much difference?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Nothing, really. Outside of specific uses (not gaming or general usage) and benchmarks.

Personally, I wouldn't have gotten that. The Crucial P1 or Intel 660p is half the price for about the same performance.

I bought the P1 recently simple because it was a 1TB NVME that was the same price as 1TB Sata SSD
    I've had great luck with my Samsung drives so I just stayed with them and the reviews and word of mouth on the 970's are outstanding so, was an easy decision really. That said, if it doesn't provide much difference, especially gaming than I see no point in keeping it and should just get my money back and spend it elsewhere for something for my PC, or a new chair

According to official site

850 EVO:
    Sequential Read Speed
    Up to 540 MB/sec

Sequential Write Speed
    Up to 520 MB/sec

970 EVO Plus
    :
    Sequential Read Speed
    Up to 3,500 MB/sec

Sequential Write Speed
    Max. 3,300 MB/sec

So yeah 970 should do about 7x speed in boot/loading and maybe game performance. Maybe you have faulty unit?

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post

850 EVO:
    Sequential Read Speed
    Up to 540 MB/sec

Sequential Write Speed
    Up to 520 MB/sec

970 EVO Plus
    :
    Sequential Read Speed
    Up to 3,500 MB/sec

Sequential Write Speed
    Max. 3,300 MB/sec

So yeah 970 should do about 7x speed in boot/loading and maybe game performance. Maybe you have faulty unit?
    I'm talking about the rapid mode enabled on my 850 which puts its speed significantly higher than the 970, though its done through Ram caching and I still have no idea what that does and if it affects games or anything while doing it. Rapid mode turned off than yes, the speeds are accurate in your post, 500ish is about right according to my benchmarks, but again I am talking about Rapid mode turned on on the 850.

Recent benchmarks put my 850 at around 6800/7k read/write speeds while the 970 evo was 3500ish. So almost double the speed of the 970. I am just trying to figure out if the speeds of the ram caching on the 850(which is almost double the speed of the 970) outweigh the non-ram caching speed of the 970(which again was around 3500ish).
    Last edited by Bartboomstick; 2019-12-09 at 10:03 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    RAM caching is only good if you have tons of excess RAM and is mainly used to keep data you use a lot in RAM for fast access. Windows 10 also does this btw.

In short, use the 970 for games and programs, and the 850 for storage. Rapid mode is fine to keep on.

So yeah 970 should do about 7x speed in boot/loading and maybe game performance.
    I am using 2x 850 in a RAID-0 setting (~1400 MB/sec) and its fun for WoW at least, because I don't have to see loading screens anymore.

Higher peaks on my system are limited, because I got multiple SSD/HDDs connected with intel/via and jmicron controllers.
    -

10+ Year Old Account

850 EVO:
    Sequential Read Speed
    Up to 540 MB/sec

Sequential Write Speed
    Up to 520 MB/sec

970 EVO Plus
    :
    Sequential Read Speed
    Up to 3,500 MB/sec

Sequential Write Speed
    Max. 3,300 MB/sec

You will never have 7x speed in boot/loading time.

If you gain 1 or 2 sec that's great.

Gaming <> HD Speed test software

A slow SSD is more than enought for gaming.

just look at this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUq1BK4LYR8
    Last edited by reemi; 2019-12-10 at 12:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

850 EVO:
    Sequential Read Speed
    Up to 540 MB/sec

Sequential Write Speed
    Up to 520 MB/sec

970 EVO Plus
    :
    Sequential Read Speed
    Up to 3,500 MB/sec

Sequential Write Speed
    Max. 3,300 MB/sec

It has 7x higher throughput, but not 7x higher random performance, which is what you need for booting/loading things

OP... if you just game and boot up your PC....why care about ssd speed. Any old sdd will do the trick. Might as well go AMD for gen4 nvme support with that POV.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You mean gen4 PCI-E not nvme.
    Woops yes, no idea why I said that.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Woops yes, no idea why I said that.
    Because it's the only thing where gen 4 PCIe matters (Unless you want over 100gbit data connections).