Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    It matters not after, what, 8 years in development? At some point every game has to either come out or finally die stillborn. Do you know what development hell means? Because if you do, you should see that there are similarities.
    Each year since ~2014 it was promised to come out "next year". How bad of a product manager you have to be to be unable to estimate the timeframe for some 4-5 years at this point?
    By your logic a game development could also take 15 years, it is totes fine, it will come out. Eventually. xD
    There has been delays in things to test for the game early on and some things have to be delayed now but a release was never given a date after the origional kickstarter was changed, so this promise next year is just false information, 8 years in develop is not much compared to other large projects and we are around 1 year away from SQ 42 being released.

We can test the game throughout the whole development so we know how much progress is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Yes it is. Its called schedule. And deadline. It is very important, when developing ANY project, be it new game or gym plan to create a schedule, break it into smaller, more manageable tasks and set end date of said schedule, where we want certain things to be finished.

And it was developed. Nothing in SC seems groundbreaking. Just bloated. We got ship interiors. We got high fidelity graphics. We got amazing universes with detailed planets. We got single player, mission based space ship dogfights games since tie fighter, original frontier, etc.
    No company will post a release date when they are unsure of when it actually will be released, many game companies do games that have been done many times over so they can be given a release date but if your on a project doing things that have never been done before then a release date cant be given until the game is at least close to a beta. Schedules/deadlines are important but cant be guaranteed to be achieved no matter what company is developing that game.

SC is not a normal game in development, its trying to put many things into one game that has never been done before, SC is trying to do everything in one game so its combining several different games into one, we can clearly see the progress of the development so can estimate when things may be released.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2019-12-10 at 01:24 AM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    There has been delays in things to test for the game early on and some things have to be delayed now but a release was never given a date after the origional kickstarter was changed, so this promise next year is just false information, 8 years in develop is not much compared to other large projects and we are around 1 year away from SQ 42 being released.

We can test the game throughout the whole development so we know how much progress is going on.

No company will post a release date when they are unsure of when it actually will be released, many game companies do games that have been done many times over so they can be given a release date but if your on a project doing things that have never been done before then a release date cant be given until the game is at least close to a beta. Schedules/deadlines are important but cant be guaranteed to be achieved no matter what company is developing that game.

SC is not a normal game in development, its trying to put many things into one game that has never been done before, SC is trying to do everything in one game so its combining several different games into one, we can clearly see the progress of the development so can estimate when things may be released.
    In 15 years if they can maintain the tempo estabilished and the same lvl of funds for that time. If anything is not on this lvl then it would take even more.

BEFORE you start working on a project you create a schedule and no, game companies post when they are going to release a game and no, they dont delay unless absolutely necessary. If company dont stick for that schedule then they dont have a product to release and no moneys. If they have publisher then he will step up and FORCE them to finish (it happend for Chris games, and lets be glad for that, but Chris being atrocious boss is another can of worms) because they were promised a product at a certain date.

Ofc Star Citizen is crapping all over it because they have their cult who fun them for wasting time, resources. When you read how they WASTED FUCKING 4 MONTHS because CR wanted inventory system akin to Kingdom Come Deliverence because he was to idiotic to understand that it will not work in SC.

And SQ42 is not gamechanging. And where is Star Marine? Scrapped. SQ42 is just Wing Commander, dont need big world because it is a set of scripted missions. They dont need anything except story, flying model, shooting model and some cool visuals. But they cant do even that.

Oh good lord. Here we go yet again with this. Just make it your signature or something. We know you love to say it has never been done before, not that it means a damn thing though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Can't say I follow the project closely, but god damn google is awesome
    Damn what a train wreck, and that is just for Squadron 42, not even the entire game.

Right SQ 42 in a year. That's totally why nothing was shown at Citizen con right? Because it so close to being done...
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen
    - "It was originally announced for release in 2014 during the Kickstarter campaign"

2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1GU....be&t=1h32m43s
    "Fall 2015 First Episode of Squadron 42 release"

2016: https://i.imgur.com/VAZI3L8.png & http://media.kotaku.foxtrot.future.n...lease-date.png
    Trailer for Squadron 42 ends with 2016 date on it & posted on the website.

2017: https://web.archive.org/web/20161106...com/squadron42
    The 2016 was replaced by 2017 on the website, also an Kotaku article about it.

--- https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...ron_42_delays/ ---

2018: ???

2019: ???

2020: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ths-to-q3-2020
    "You will of course notice that our target beta date for Squadron 42 has moved back by 12 weeks in today's roadmap update," CIG said

Can't say I follow the project closely, but god damn google is awesome
    and where does it say release dates, the 2015 was for the fps test module not a SQ 42 release and those other links dont even say anything about SQ42 releasing just an advertisement for SQ 42.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    In 15 years if they can maintain the tempo estabilished and the same lvl of funds for that time. If anything is not on this lvl then it would take even more.

BEFORE you start working on a project you create a schedule and no, game companies post when they are going to release a game and no, they dont delay unless absolutely necessary. If company dont stick for that schedule then they dont have a product to release and no moneys. If they have publisher then he will step up and FORCE them to finish (it happend for Chris games, and lets be glad for that, but Chris being atrocious boss is another can of worms) because they were promised a product at a certain date.

Ofc Star Citizen is crapping all over it because they have their cult who fun them for wasting time, resources. When you read how they WASTED FUCKING 4 MONTHS because CR wanted inventory system akin to Kingdom Come Deliverence because he was to idiotic to understand that it will not work in SC.

And SQ42 is not gamechanging. And where is Star Marine? Scrapped. SQ42 is just Wing Commander, dont need big world because it is a set of scripted missions. They dont need anything except story, flying model, shooting model and some cool visuals. But they cant do even that.
    star marine has been in game for a long time now there are a few modules seperate from the PU, star marine fps combat, arena commander space combat and have been in game for years. They are also implementing a 40 player PvP mode involving all types of combat from ground to space, this will help test things along with giving an extra mode to play with.

If you run your own company you can do things the way you want them to be, for better or for worse. Im happy to wait until the game is ready or at least has all its major systems in place. SQ 42 will most likely involve multiple systems and all its systems are used in the PU so they have to work first, main thing they need atm is the large ships to be finished so they can progress further finishing the story, SQ42 is around 40-50% complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Right SQ 42 in a year. That's totally why nothing was shown at Citizen con right? Because it so close to being done...
    you can follow the progress in the development tracker, completing the idris and javeling is likely the cause of it taking longer and they are not too far from complete. Those two ships and the bengal carrier are key in most of SQ 42 without those in place much of the story cant be completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Oh good lord. Here we go yet again with this. Just make it your signature or something. We know you love to say it has never been done before, not that it means a damn thing though.

- - - Updated - - -
    If something has not been done before there is no way to know how to do it the correct way, it means everything in development of a game.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2019-12-10 at 12:18 PM.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know." - Jonathan Swift, 'Polite Conversation' (1738)
    "2016 - Star Citizen commercial launch".. Missed the mark just a bit!

You just were proven to be wrong by others about the release dates. Common, it was not that long ago, we do remember those announcements.
    8 years for development is not exactly the norm. I can agree that Star Citizen is not the smallest project, but it is a lot in terms of time. By the time SQ42 releases (IF, there is a big IF, again!) nexy year, it will be even older.

S42 is the one thing I'm really frustrated with. When I first backed the game, I just wanted a good campaign. Didn't really care about the multiplayer. Over time, as the scope changed, I became more and more interested in the PU. I was impressed by patch 2.0, and upgraded to a 315p. Nonetheless, I am mainly looking forward to the story.

And then... sometime during 2016/2017, it feels like progress on S42 sudden reversed. It seems like they went from on the verge of release, to being early in development? Did they scrap what they had and restart development? Perhaps that has to do with CR's legendarily terrible PR. I know they don't want to spoil S42 (and I don't want to be spoiled either), but I feel they haven't really been transparent as to the development of it. It's the one thing they are very quiet on. Despite all of CIG's interaction with their playerbase, I still have no idea what's going on S42. The roadmap for S42 just raises more questions than answers, and it feels like they aren't answering any of those questions (unless I missed them?).

IIRC the SQ42 delays are for the "underlying tech" that's still being worked on for PU, no? In that it was never actually "close" to releasing, because a bunch of the tech wasn't even started years back. That or they decided to add a whole bunch of stuff and delayed the game specifically for that tech which...I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    S42 is the one thing I'm really frustrated with. When I first backed the game, I just wanted a good campaign. Didn't really care about the multiplayer. Over time, as the scope changed, I became more and more interested in the PU. I was impressed by patch 2.0, and upgraded to a 315p. Nonetheless, I am mainly looking forward to the story.

And then... sometime during 2016/2017, it feels like progress on S42 sudden reversed. It seems like they went from on the verge of release, to being early in development? Did they scrap what they had and restart development? Perhaps that has to do with CR's legendarily terrible PR. I know they don't want to spoil S42 (and I don't want to be spoiled either), but I feel they haven't really been transparent as to the development of it. It's the one thing they are very quiet on. Despite all of CIG's interaction with their playerbase, I still have no idea what's going on S42. The roadmap for S42 just raises more questions than answers, and it feels like they aren't answering any of those questions (unless I missed them?).
    Yeah, they did scrap it. They weren't happy at all. They really shot themselves in the foot by talking about the release dates for so long.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's Kenn, who profoundly refuses to believe SQ42 was ever marketed for release back then. It's like we're living in different worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That or they decided to add a whole bunch of stuff and delayed the game specifically for that tech which...
    That right there. Once they added planets, they doubled the number of chapters in SQ42, which meant they needed to redo a bunch of stuff, get the planet tech ready, then add new mission types for planets, then any new tech to support those new mission types. That whole "mission 1 is playable" thing a few years back was total BS, since they're still not done whiteboxing it. Heck, they're still working on core tech and gameplay features, a bunch of Vanduul ships aren't completed (Cleaver, Void, Driller, Kingship, Stinger, Hunter), and the Bengal Carrier still isn't completed.

Basically, there's no way this was going to release a few years ago; especially not Episode 1. Now, looking at the Road Map, and assuming they aren't going to be adding anything else to it, and assuming they can finish all 28 chapters (none of which have completed greybox yet), most of what is remaining looks to be doable by Q3 2020, with the possible exception of the Titan Suit (which hasn't started development) and some of the AI stuff (seeing as their AI updates have been pretty slow). Now, we're still talking Beta, not actual release, so who knows how long it will take them to go from Beta to release.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Basically, there's no way this was going to release a few years ago; especially not Episode 1.
    So either they knew this and mislead folks, or they failed to properly scope out the game and let feature creep for the PU impact SQ42.

Neither is a great move for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    You just were proven to be wrong by others about the release dates. Common, it was not that long ago, we do remember those announcements.
    8 years for development is not exactly the norm. I can agree that Star Citizen is not the smallest project, but it is a lot in terms of time. By the time SQ42 releases (IF, there is a big IF, again!) nexy year, it will be even older.
    maybe they had something that could of been ready by then, maybe they finished some tech and decided to go another way, we just dont know every detail in development, end of the day its coming along and should prove to be better than it would of been if it was made years earlier, many of us knew it was going to take way longer than anything said so release dates were always pointless, they may have miss judged how easy things were to create or to get working. I never take any notice of a release date until the game itself is at least in beta as thats when the game usually is in more of a complete state.

end of the day its coming along and should prove to be better than it would of been if it was made years earlier
    You don't know either of those things and the second one is far less likely at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

many of us knew it was going to take way longer than anything said so release dates were always pointless
    Speak for yourself not the 'many' people that are TOTALLY okay with the game going years longer in development hell.

- - - Updated - - -

they may have miss judged how easy things were to create or to get working.
    No....really?? Better toss them more money to cover up for their fuckups then.

- - - Updated - - -

I never take any notice of a release date until the game itself is at least in beta as thats when the game usually is in more of a complete state.
    Oh cool so they can just keep it in Alpha forever and you are totally fine with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    You don't know either of those things and the second one is far less likely at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Speak for yourself not the 'many' people that are TOTALLY okay with the game going years longer in development hell.

- - - Updated - - -

No....really?? Better toss them more money to cover up for their fuckups then.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh cool so they can just keep it in Alpha forever and you are totally fine with this.
    Its pretty obvious at this point if a game is released too early its not going to have certain features in it, the game origionally was going to be far less in depth and probably wouldnt of been much better than any other game around, more systems in place means more of a game, its not in development hell you dont have any clue what your talking about, we can see how the game is progressing and the backers are given a version of the game to play in the meantime.

Developers screw things up all the time even in games with a standard development and even launch games in a poor state as thats a primary reason why the development process is usually hidden, developing a game is not sunshine and rainbows even one small mistake in code can screw a game up like that aliens marine game where the AI alien was useless all due to an error in the code and took years to even find the error.

The game will release when its ready, there are more than enough games to play in the meantime, if i was running a company making a game i would make it the way i wanted with only a small influence from whoever would play it.

What do you want from SC, if it was released to early without sufficient systems in place many may never return as it wouldnt offer the experience they wanted, a game can never really recover from a terrible launch.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2019-12-11 at 04:34 AM.

Rofl...

“It’s all false information! There were no more release dates since the original one!”

*gets proven wrong*

“I never take any notice of a release dates! Release dates were always pointless anyway! Maybe they… just…. things!”

I'll be honest, Star Citizen as certainly provided me with more entertainment than lots of video games out there, and I don’t even need to log on the damn thing for it.
    everyone knew what chris was like when it came to developing games, he wants to do too much, so if you really put any stock into any release dates then thats on you, i knew when it came up in the kickstarter that the game was going to take way longer than any date put in writing.

Not really been proven wrong as they still were not official release dates, they were just estimates for a version of the game that was changed, with what they had with the game they probably could of made 3-4 missions called that episode 1 and done some small bits overtime but would the gameplay of been to a AAA level.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2019-12-11 at 04:59 AM.

Nah nah nah. Whenever his past gets brought up, fans go through a lot of effort denying history, if they knew he was like this and they were ok with it, why would they so vehemently try to paint a different picture of what happened?
    What really occurs is that fans reach into their magic hat looking for an excuse that they can use to justify shit each and every time, it's just whiteknightism/apologism.

The "Answer The Call" stuff was absolutely CIG claiming the game was coming. Imagine if this was some other company, suppose they advertised a game, gave a release date and opened pre-orders (because that is what CIG were doing for SQ42) and then that year goes past, and they do the same the next year, and the one after that... and to top it off they deny refunds for their "over-enthusiastic" release dates.
    Their reputation would be complete and utter shit, nobody would stand for that crap and yet you have people trying to put the blame on customers with their It's your fault if you believed them and We all knew he was like this, why didn't you? bullshit...
    Last edited by 1001; 2019-12-11 at 07:39 AM.

That's so fucking true! Of course that’s everyone else's fault that Chris Roberts can't even come close to any release da... *cough* estimation that he provides, like… who else’s would it be, right? They should all know it by now, I mean, it’s not like it didn’t happen with previous projects like Freelancer…. Right? Shit, I wonder if there is anything else that people should know about Chris from such projects…

Shit, you got me again, yeah, “Fall 2015 – First episode of Squadron 42 RELEASE” presented in his BAFTA totally doesn’t count as “official” date, I’m sure the guy just had to put something there, thus he just flipped a coin or some shit, I mean, it’s not like he signed the damn thing!

*honk honk*

… again, it happens all the time in gaming industry, developers just throwing random dates up in the air, with the word “release” attached to the name of the products, it’s a fairly commonly known practice, silly people actually putting any stock into it
    All that really matters is the current product and what it is shaping into, currently there is more than enough to do to at least get your basic moneys worth plus some extra.

Developers dont even mention a release date usually unless they know they can make it, thats a reason why the development process is usually behind the scenes so when anything doesnt go as planned only the company is aware.

Like chris or hate him there wouldnt be a game to complain about otherwise, how many years would of it been before something similar was even tried because of the upcoming space games there is nothing like SC, i prefer space games to any other but there is not really many options.

everyone knew what chris was like when it came to developing games, he wants to do too much, so if you really put any stock into any release dates then thats on you, i knew when it came up in the kickstarter that the game was going to take way longer than any date put in writing.

Not really been proven wrong as they still were not official release dates, they were just estimates for a version of the game that was changed, with what they had with the game they probably could of made 3-4 missions called that episode 1 and done some small bits overtime but would the gameplay of been to a AAA level.
    ...Did you really just blame the public for Chris and his company publishing release dates and then not meeting those dates? Why are you not holding the company accountable and instead essentially victim blaming? This is ridiculous.

All that really matters is the current product and what it is shaping into, currently there is more than enough to do to at least get your basic moneys worth plus some extra.

Developers dont even mention a release date usually unless they know they can make it, thats a reason why the development process is usually behind the scenes so when anything doesnt go as planned only the company is aware.

Like chris or hate him there wouldnt be a game to complain about otherwise, how many years would of it been before something similar was even tried because of the upcoming space games there is nothing like SC, i prefer space games to any other but there is not really many options.
    There technically isn't a game to complain about now, that's the whole problem. There is no released game and no telling when, or if there will ever, be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    ...Did you really just blame the public for Chris and his company publishing release dates and then not meeting those dates? Why are you not holding the company accountable and instead essentially victim blaming? This is ridiculous.
    I am banking on a wager of big thicc PR paycheck.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988