Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    The amount of players I'm sure. That's one thing I've noticed, as people kept quitting wow, the maintenance times went down as well. Now we're at 1 hour vs. 8.
    Partly perhaps, but it's a lazy assumption especially given that WoW initially was their first foray into MMO's and as code, policies, and practices become more efficient things get easier. You can see a lot of devs talk about very clunky code that made updating/patching certain things harder that they were able to smooth out over time, and sometimes not.

Classic's new and while I'm not exactly programming literate people underestimate how much the computer world has changed in the last 20 years because their lazy asses still just use the point and click interface with some gui upgrades. It was a much bigger ordeal than tweak a few nipples to get classic running especially given years of network and hardware changes. And as someone who works for an airline where maintenance emergencies are an unfortunate reality you can't always perfectly predict how long a repair is going to take or when it's going to need to be done to avoid a delay. Shit happens.

I'd agree they should at least give a partial credit for the time above normal maintenance hours. But every single one of you acknowledge and agreed that maintenance happens when you booted up the game and it can vary based on the actual needs of the servers. But overall all this crying just reminds me of people who schedule their flights so they arrive 1 hour before their event beings and then cry because weather delayed them 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    I feel bad for you that 17 cents is meaningful. Maybe spend less time posting and get a job or something?
    Let's not be dumb here and pretend money is the only factor in play here. Hell you even mention the second one, time. And how a person wishes to spend it whining on the forum or annoyed they can't use a service they pay for is ultimately up to them.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2019-12-10 at 10:21 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to true Classic WoW. This is how it was EVERY week back in vanilla. Sometimes it would take 24 hours or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaulton05 View Post
    8 hours seems a bit excessive to implement a 15 year old patch with a bit of new code.
    You wanted your classic experience, didn't you? ;P

Getting 8-hour maintenances every 3 out of 4 tuesdays was commonplace.

You don't want to change that - do you? having no 8-hour maintenance would, by definition, start the slippery slope of creating the experience Classic+ that everyone hates, wouldn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Averrix View Post
    Welcome to true Classic WoW. This is how it was EVERY week back in vanilla. Sometimes it would take 24 hours or more.
    I was debating if it was 8 or 16 hours. I do remember the oddball 24 hour one, but those were kinda rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    This is why they need to have multiple ways to buy time, time that is only used while you are playing or unlimited for a much larger fee. I would be completely fine buying 12 hours for a few bucks at a time if they only ticked down while playing for example. That is the true way to give people freedom.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really, don't charge 20 a month if they are going to pull BS like this with no compensation. Yes I know it has "been going on forever" that does not make it a sound and ethical business practice.
    Yeah man! Tell em! Take. A. Stand.

We will not stand for this!

Revolt!

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Let's not be dumb here and pretend money is the only factor in play here. Hell you even mention the second one, time. And how a person wishes to spend it whining on the forum or annoyed they can't use a service they pay for is ultimately up to them.
    Let's not be dumb and pretend there is something other than money they could refund or credit. The person I was responding to wanted the sub to suspend for maintenance. That would be worth the 17 cents I said it was. Use your brain.

8 hours seems a bit excessive to implement a 15 year old patch with a bit of new code.
    Spaghetti codes are really hard... mmmkay?

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    Let's not be dumb and pretend there is something other than money they could refund or credit. The person I was responding to wanted the sub to suspend for maintenance. That would be worth the 17 cents I said it was. Use your brain.
    They have credited time a few times before. Not often, but they have added time into everyones sub before. I seem to recall once in wod, and a couple times around vanilla / bc (cant remember the specifics, but confident it did occur)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    You wanted your classic experience, didn't you? ;P

Getting 8-hour maintenances every 3 out of 4 tuesdays was commonplace.

You don't want to change that - do you? having no 8-hour maintenance would, by definition, start the slippery slope of creating the experience Classic+ that everyone hates, wouldn't it?
    Changing the 8 hour maint down to 1 hour today, tomorrow - flying mounts and LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shame the maintenance didn't last longer, Classic players deserve to experience #NoChanges. That should include the extremely long server down times
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

it was normal in vanilla, very rare to get short maintenance

I know its not a new or clever (anymore) comment but:

Its the authentic vanilla experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    The amount of players I'm sure. That's one thing I've noticed, as people kept quitting wow, the maintenance times went down as well. Now we're at 1 hour vs. 8.
    i mean not true at all, the matinence times for wow went down as they got better and better and optimized the code, classic is new so the code is likey spaghetti.

vanilla's matinence was longers then wotlk's yet wotlk had far more players.

also BFA i think 8.2 had like a 7 hour matinence so...?

cuz its the BG patch day? patch days are always 8 hrs.

paying 13 EUR a month and cannot even play the game...

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    you wanted the vanilla experiance didnt you?
    Oh, oops! Some gnome knocked into the servers! Maintenance has been extended for the rest of the day!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

OMG they took servers down for less than 10 minutes during my raid time, I DESERVE COMPENSATION!!!111!!!1!!1! and some more 1's and !'s
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Id say bring back the good ol days with 8 hour planned maintenance with an additional 4 hours unscheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    They have credited time a few times before. Not often, but they have added time into everyones sub before. I seem to recall once in wod, and a couple times around vanilla / bc (cant remember the specifics, but confident it did occur)
    They have, but never for a normal maintenance window. But that is exactly my point. It is not like they can credit you with happiness or fulfillment. They give you some chump change and, like I said in my original post, I feel sorry for the person who would care about the 17 cents if they did credit for an 8 hour window.

Says someone who has never patched 15 year old code with a "bit of new code".

NO CHANGES!!!!! This includes maintenance.

3+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard employees need 8 hours of sleep too!