10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone that speaks GGG explain if this is a good or bad thing:

Fortify Support

Fortify is now multiplicative with other sources of damage reduction.

I'm just going to go head and assume it's bad...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

Fortify Support

Its a nerf if you want to be precise. Not going too much indepth with it and its maths, you cant reach almost a 100% physical damage reduction anymore. Instead of it being additive (which resulted in a higher value) it is now multiplicative, which results in overall lower values. Basically speaking, melees are losing a ton of survivability.

As a general rule of thumb, more and less is almost always additive or subtractive, while increased or reduced is mostly multiplicative or divided.
    https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Mo...n_descriptions is a good explanation on how all of those things work together and how you can math it out if you really want to.
    Last edited by Darleth; 2019-12-11 at 01:02 PM.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    Its a nerf if you want to be precise. Not going too much indepth with it and its maths, you cant reach almost a 100% physical damage reduction anymore. Instead of it being additive (which resulted in a higher value) it is now multiplicative, which results in overall lower values. Basically speaking, melees are losing a ton of survivability.

As a general rule of thumb, more and less is almost always additive or subtractive, while increased or reduced is mostly multiplicative or divided.
    https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Mo...n_descriptions is a good explanation on how all of those things work together and how you can math it out if you really want to.
    You have it backwards, More/Less are multiplicative while Increased/Reduced are additive.

For example, if you're using Fireball and have 50% increased projectile damage and 30% increased fire damage, they'll be additive to +80% damage. If you add 40% increased spell damage it will sum up to +120%, for a 2.2x total multiplier; if you add 40% more spell damage instead, it will be 1.80 x 1.40 to become 2.52x.

Offensively, More modifiers are generally much more important than Increased ones.

But when it comes to damage reduction, then stacking additive is stronger than multiplicative. If say you have 24% physical damage reduction from Endurance Charges (meaning you take 0.76x normal physical damage) and you added the old Fortify (20% reduced damage), it would add together to 44% DR, which means you take 56% of the regular physical damage. But with the new Fortify it would be 0.76 * 0.80, which equals 0.608x damage taken (39.2% DR).

But yes, you're right that the end results are more damage taken than before, especially if you had a lot of damage reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaiandra View Post
    You have it backwards, More/Less are multiplicative while Increased/Reduced are additive.

For example, if you're using Fireball and have 50% increased projectile damage and 30% increased fire damage, they'll be additive to +80% damage. If you add 40% increased spell damage it will sum up to +120%, for a 2.2x total multiplier; if you add 40% more spell damage instead, it will be 1.80 x 1.40 to become 2.52x.

Offensively, More modifiers are generally much more important than Increased ones.

But when it comes to damage reduction, then stacking additive is stronger than multiplicative. If say you have 24% physical damage reduction from Endurance Charges (meaning you take 0.76x normal physical damage) and you added the old Fortify (20% reduced damage), it would add together to 44% DR, which means you take 56% of the regular physical damage. But with the new Fortify it would be 0.76 * 0.80, which equals 0.608x damage taken (39.2% DR).

But yes, you're right that the end results are more damage taken than before, especially if you had a lot of damage reduction.
    Oh fuck, you are right. Thanks for clearing it up. Had some stuff to deal with while being sick and probably got it mixed up because of doing too much on the side.
    The thing that matters though is, that it is still a nerf. In general, reading through patchnotes, melee got shafted hard. The new items really need to be GOOD to make melee stay the same, because right now its nerfs all across the board.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaiandra View Post

There's an exception to that rule to keep in mind. The 'enemies take increased damage' stat is also a multiplier, though multiple instances of that stat are additive with each other.

So the two nodes in the champion ascendancy, for example, 'taunted enemies take 20% increased damage' and 'your hits permanently intimidate (intimidated enemies take 10% increased damage with attacks) enemies that are on full life'... That would be enemies taking 30% increased damage with attacks, a 1.3 multiplier.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    There's an exception to that rule to keep in mind. The 'enemies take increased damage' stat is also a multiplier, though multiple instances of that stat are additive with each other.

So the two nodes in the champion ascendancy, for example, 'taunted enemies take 20% increased damage' and 'your hits permanently intimidate (intimidated enemies take 10% increased damage with attacks) enemies that are on full life'... That would be enemies taking 30% increased damage with attacks, a 1.3 multiplier.
    This is true, though I'd say it's explicable since there's the difference between buffing your skills and debuffing the enemy. But yes, that is a notable distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

Fortify Support

You can thank all the theorycrafters that found out you can stack reduced damage taken and improved fortify to the point you'd be immune to damage, or at least some forms of it, like the Atziri farmer immune to fire build. Was bound to be nerfed zero surprise here.

P.S. The root of the issue was during Legion league (if I remember well) they added clusters that improve the strength of fortify buff around the duelist area. They also added an annoint node in Blight (hidden) that allowed people to have fortify during life or hybrid flasks, and people made perma fortify pathfinder builds with hybrid flasks (as they don't drop when you reach full hp contrary to life flasks, especially since they can roll the new enduring mod that keeps them from dropping at full mana).
    Last edited by Marrilaife; 2019-12-11 at 04:06 PM.

I think this is the best solution

love the new expansion! thank you Grinding Gear Games, thank you double time!

I wonder how far can you get in SSF until progressing, while still technically possible, becomes insurmountable task.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I wonder how far can you get in SSF until progressing, while still technically possible, becomes insurmountable task.
    My first league was almost entirely SSF and I did everything through uber elder. The game has so much power creep that unless you pick some really niche hyper gear dependent build most of the game just falls over.

They're starting to pull back on this with the changes this league, that's pretty much just limited to bosses taking longer though. Which is good as you have to learn their mechanics, but its not insurmountable.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

The thing is... previously my progress halted soon after I started mapping. Things became slow and I always started dying. Even, if i did follow some builds that at least according to guides were not gear dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    The thing is... previously my progress halted soon after I started mapping. Things became slow and I always started dying. Even, if i did follow some builds that at least according to guides were not gear dependent.
    Dying every once in a while is not that abnormal (unless you're playing HC) so I wouldn't sweat it. As long as you're keeping your resistances capped and your health up you shouldn't have much of an issue.

Im in act 4 now lvl 43. Doing really good. I an usuing some mats once in a while to get some decent stats and Rolling colour i need for linked gear. But when do ppl start using Poe trade Sell/buy ? Is it Worth the time before 70+ ??

Quote Originally Posted by Schalde View Post
    Im in act 4 now lvl 43. Doing really good. I an usuing some mats once in a while to get some decent stats and Rolling colour i need for linked gear. But when do ppl start using Poe trade Sell/buy ? Is it Worth the time before 70+ ??
    Depends on your build and your drops. Some builds strongly benefit from lower level uniques (I did a summoner build one season that had me buy some boots at like 37 or something, they were rather cheap anyway)

Also, if you're dying a lot it can help to buy some HP/Resist gear.

If you're being really optimal no, you'd just want to rush to maps as you'll make more currency mapping than trading while leveling. It doesn't hurt to trade though if it helps you enjoy the game more, not everything is about min-maxing yknow.

Depending on your build there's usually a few low level uniques that can be useful for leveling up and make the process smoother for getting to maps.

Ok, progress so far with my Null's build. Damage scaling is more than fine due to the Spiritual Aid/Command nodes, plus all the sources of "DEX gives damage to minions" also affects me aswell. I have now to invest in some health nodes to keep me up and avoid brutal deaths.

I'll probably stick with either ice shot or ligthing arrow - caustic + volley is insane and even better than toxic rain imho, but unfortunately the dots don't trigger Null. Terrorist skellos are strong as ever now that i have coupled them with feeding frenzy and infernal legion, afaik that doesn't count as an ignite so the helm would still work.

Seems to be a good build right now. let's see how it goes later on.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Got my silly spectral throw character to 75 and started mapping. Still using a garbage weapon so hopefully I can replace that and 2-3x my damage.

I dig the mechanics so far, and looking forward to the patch that auto-loots the parts later this week. Now I just need to figure out what's up with all the atlas changes.

Why am I basically playing a bow character in the bow league so that most gear outside of my claw weapon will be expensive -_-

If there are cheapish uniques that fit your endgame build, I'd buy those as soon as your level allows and enjoy the insane power boost up to mapping.

Outside of that, I start shopping as soon as I'm done with Merc lab and kitava. Make sure my resists are capped and my hp is above 2kish.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    If there are cheapish uniques that fit your endgame build, I'd buy those as soon as your level allows and enjoy the insane power boost up to mapping.
    This. Many builds either use a cheaper unique as a BiS or as a stepping stone, and if you're not playing a bow/summoner the gear should be cheaper as there will generally be less demand for off-meta build gear. My Rat's Nest helm is BiS and while the rolls on it aren't great, it cost me a whopping 1C, so I had at least one "final" piece by the time I started mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Outside of that, I start shopping as soon as I'm done with Merc lab and kitava. Make sure my resists are capped and my hp is above 2kish.
    Cruel IMO. I usually start looking around in my 70's when I start mapping, it helps immensely with the early map grind and helps you get the gear you need to clear Merc lab without too much trouble. I still need to do that actually, but waiting for a few more levels/pieces of gear. Kinda want to seal my twice enchanted to hold it for uber, but I've got one sealed already so I'm thinking of gambling with this one because I doubt I'm going to be running uber much (and I'm halfway to unlocking it, yay).

I'm actually enjoying blight pops in maps so far. Missed that league but at least at low tiers it feels manageable (especially visually) and it seems to drop pretty damn well. Now I just need to look into how those oils actually work....

Specifically, can you unlock passives without having the connected nodes? Like, could I grab a passive from the other side of the tree? I doubt it...but can't hurt to ask.