Honestly, I see this more like a cowboy bebop kind of show, where there is a greater plot but most of the show is focused on standalone episodes that help develop the characters and world. If all you want is plot progression and can't just enjoy the individual adventures then this isn't for you

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

No explanation how or why he ended up on Tattooine, I suspect it's solely for the nostalgia and maybe the reveal at the end, if it really is Boba.
    Are you asking why Mando was on Tatooine? It's because his ship was damaged during the dog fight and it just happened to be the closes planet where he could get it repaired.
    Last edited by everydaygamer; 2019-12-08 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    Couldn’t disagree more. Getting better by each episode and last episodes cliffhanger looks to make episode 6 one of the better ones for sure.

Really loving the show so far and I don’t really see myself as that big of a fan of Star Wars so that fanboy-argument some people are using is just dishonest and childish
    I just think it's totally blotted of originality. Where's the character development? Where's the interesting take on familiar stories? It's just stuff people who have watched movies/tv-series for a while have seen a thousand times before already. Like I said, too reliant on common tropes. And again, waaay too inconsistent in its tone. They want to be tough and gritty, but still include the kids. So you get cuteness and comic relief intermingled with gritty imagery and a "silent" protagonist. Doesn't work.

I liked the first couple of episodes because they functioned as a start, but it hasn't really taken off in any way yet, and has been a huge letdown for me since the end of episode 3. I could like the episodic nature of the show if the single episodes actually managed to tell good stories, but they really haven't. Episode 4 has to be the worst 7 Samurai homage I've ever seen - the Clone Wars tv show did it better!
    Last edited by Kallor; 2019-12-08 at 08:45 PM.

I think things are going great though I am a simple man and base these sort of things on a couple simple concepts:

I'm entertained or I'm not entertained. I guess I dont have the inclination or motivation to pick everything apart to find every single flaw to make myself feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by Kallor View Post
    I just think it's totally blotted of originality. Where's the character development? Where's the interesting take on familiar stories? It's just stuff people who have watched movies/tv-series for a while have seen a thousand times before already. Like I said, too reliant on common tropes. And again, waaay too inconsistent in its tone. They want to be tough and gritty, but still include the kids. So you get cuteness and comic relief intermingled with gritty imagery and a "silent" protagonist. Doesn't work.

I liked the first couple of episodes because they functioned as a start, but it hasn't really taken off in any way yet, and has been a huge letdown for me since the end of episode 3. I could like the episodic nature of the show if the single episodes actually managed to tell good stories, but they really haven't. Episode 4 has to be the worst 7 Samurai homage I've ever seen - the Clone Wars tv show did it better!
    Agree to disagree. Its ok

Yup! I don't mind people liking it, I'm just dissapointed because I expected something a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Honestly, I see this more like a cowboy bebop kind of show, where there is a greater plot but most of the show is focused on standalone episodes that help develop the characters and world. If all you want is plot progression and can't just enjoy the individual adventures then this isn't for you
    This is a disingenuous comparison. Cowboy Bebop didn't make the Spike/Julia/Vicious story to be the premise of the show. Cowboy Bebop kicked off with an episodic episode and remained episodic for virtually the entire 26 episode run. The Spike/Julia/Vicious story was only 3 episodes out of the 26, and didn't begin until episode 5. Outside of those 3 episodes, that arc had no bearing on the rest of the story.

Here, the entire premise of the show is built upon the conspiracy surrounding Baby Yoda. Every single episode revolves around the Mandalorian's plight with Baby Yoda. Episodes 1-3 are all about him getting entangled with Baby Yoda and episodes 4-5 are all about the Mandalorian trying to hide and being hunted down because he took off with Baby Yoda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    This is a disingenuous comparison. Cowboy Bebop didn't make the Spike/Julia/Vicious story to be the premise of the show. Cowboy Bebop kicked off with an episodic episode and remained episodic for virtually the entire 26 episode run. The Spike/Julia/Vicious story was only 3 episodes out of the 26, and didn't begin until episode 5. Outside of those 3 episodes, that arc had no bearing on the rest of the story.

Here, the entire premise of the show is built upon the conspiracy surrounding Baby Yoda. Every single episode revolves around the Mandalorian's plight with Baby Yoda. Episodes 1-3 are all about him getting entangled with Baby Yoda and episodes 4-5 are all about the Mandalorian trying to hide and being hunted down because he took off with Baby Yoda.
    And honestly, people saying "Wharr character development?!" are missing the point.

It isn't episodic. It's one story, 8 chapters. Any character development will occur near the end of that story; something about the Mando's way of life will be challenged, and he'll have to change to overcome it. Or not.

We had moments where there were opportunities for (negative) development, where he would have betrayed his profession or his adoptive family's beliefs, and he found a way to be true to both, even when they seemed to be in conflict (take the baby as bounty and deliver it, to do the job. Break in and save the baby, because it's a foundling.)

The last couple episodes have been explorations of both of those aspects. Episode 4 was mostly about his life as a Mando, and what it meant to him, and how he doesn't feel he deserves happiness and peace, yet. Ep 5 was about bounty hunting; the harsh realities, the distrust, the competition, the nature of the work. I imagine we'll get one more episode that's similar, and then we'll get a 2-episode "finale" arc where any character development for the Mando has the opportunity to occur.

That's character development; a character is presented with a hard choice, that threatens their preconceptions, and has to change to make the "right" choice. You don't expect that in every episode of a story like this, you expect that by the time the story ends.

More-episodic works often don't have character development in each episode despite each being an isolated narrative; the idea that there should be episodic development is . . . weird.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i hope so.

i want this character to be a cold as fuck contract killer, and i want it to take us to mandalore itself to see their REAL culture of warriors.
    guess it didn't turn up the way you wanted with all that cute yoda crap ))

- - - Updated - - -

Just watched the episode today.

To me, the quality is decreasing. The tonal shift between episodes 1-3 (which I thought were great) to episodes 4 and 5 is so extreme, and bizarre. It's almost like episodes 1-3 were made as a standalone movie, but then it was picked up as a show and they had to make 6 more episodes.

To be a true spaghetti Western, the dialogue needs to be trimmed back severely. You can see it in the cold open of this week's episode: you could convey that entire scene with just the Mando silently, stoically, fighting off the bounty hunter. Him talking to himself/baby Yoda is...well, weak exposition for audiences who can't pay attention to body language. And don't get me started on the cringey "That's my line" one-liner before he destroys the bounty hunter. It would be much better shot if the other bounty hunter is doing all the talking, trying to provoke the Mando, and getting angrier and angrier as the Mando doesn't respond, until the Mando just shoots him out of the sky. Cut to the Mando rolling his shoulders, or rubbing his shoulder as if relieving some strain, and that's it. His first line should have been responding to Mos Eisley space port, because it's the first *necessary* line.

Tattooine is pure fan service. So is the Cantina, so is the guy sitting at Han's exact table in the exact same pose with his feet on the table. No explanation how or why he ended up on Tattooine, I suspect it's solely for the nostalgia and maybe the reveal at the end, if it really is Boba. I liked the idea behind the bounty Fennic itself, a former enforcer for the Hutts before Jabba was killed in episode VI.

I didn't mind the mouthy bounty hunter. He actually reminded me of Han Solo a little.

Music is still fucking on point. Best part of this series because it's so good and so not-Star Wars.

I expect the new Baby Yoda meme this episode will be him peeking out from behind the cargo after the shootout.
    yes the first 3 ep were awesome and i even liked the little yoda thing but now the show is turning into a kids show or xena/hercule 90's tv show

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Heh, would enjoy at least one new episode of Muppet Babies with a baby Yoda guest star.
    haha that would be a very watched episode

- - - Updated - - -

In relation to canon, where would this tv series take place?

We don't know if this is Yoda, spawn of Yoda or a completely different member of their species. I find it funny that they mention the battle of Endor, think that was a mess up on the writer's part or shows a more accurate timeline in SW canon?

- - - Updated - - -

It is very interesting between the interaction of baby yoda and the Mando.

I like it!
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    haha that would be a very watched episode

- - - Updated - - -

In relation to canon, where would this tv series take place?

We don't know if this is Yoda, spawn of Yoda or a completely different member of their species. I find it funny that they mention the battle of Endor, think that was a mess up on the writer's part or shows a more accurate timeline in SW canon?

- - - Updated - - -

It is very interesting between the interaction of baby yoda and the Mando.

I like it!
    It's not Yoda as a baby; the series takes place after the fall of the Empire, which was Episode 6 (the same episode in which Yoda passed away.)
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It's not Yoda as a baby; the series takes place after the fall of the Empire, which was Episode 6 (the same episode in which Yoda passed away.)
    Ahh ok. Yoda died around 900, so there goes that idea. I wonder if it could be a cloned baby or orphaned, i hope they tell us or hint at it by the end of the series.

So if the timeline is after the fall of the empire, Boba Fett would still be around, I wonder if we will see a cameo by Boba then?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow..i didn't know this, but some actors from Time Bandits played ewoks in episode 6!
    Last edited by Muajin76; 2019-12-10 at 01:04 AM.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Boba Fett would still be around, I wonder if we will see a cameo by Boba then?
    personally, i believe he's dead. i know old canon has him escaping the sarlacc and going on from there. i guess in new canon some jawas find fett's armor around the sarlacc after that whole scene in ROTJ. so he could have survived and used that as his out from the business.

OR he's just dead and the sarlacc couldn't digest his armor lol...

...doesn't mean someone couldn't wear the armor like he was just for the notoriety. the episode last week with the discount Han Solo had a small spot light on the whole "galactic reputation" thing. you want to make money and get the big bounties? people have to know you
    Last edited by Vargulf the Happy Husky; 2019-12-10 at 11:43 AM.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Enjoyed the first couple episodes, didn't enjoy the last ones quite as much.
    Do you hear the voices too?

To me, the quality is decreasing. The tonal shift between episodes 1-3 (which I thought were great) to episodes 4 and 5 is so extreme, and bizarre. It's almost like episodes 1-3 were made as a standalone movie, but then it was picked up as a show and they had to make 6 more episodes.
    Two standalone episodes coming off the heels of an episode with actual story and consequences? Its starting to feel as if Favreau & Filoni didnt have enough material for an 8 episode series. I mean, going back to Tatooine? You'd think this kind of fan service episode would be better served in season 6, episode 7. Not the 5th episode of an 8 episode series.

Quick tangent, but this is the problem with having a barely developed blank as the main character. Mando's decisions and motivations start to conflict with how the story wants him to be perceived (or what the story keeps telling us he suppose to be). Here's one of the best bounty hunters "in the parsec" but you wouldn't know it given how incompetent he is. The end of episode 4 had his bad decision making on full display and it carried over into this episode, starting with leaving the most sought after bounty in the outer rims on an unguarded ship, for basically anyone to come aboard and take (which happened twice). And then to be so trusting of Toro and assume he doesn't know squat about the bounty on his or baby yoda's head felt like something Toro himself would do, not a guy whos been bounty hunting long enough to have a reputation.

Which btw brings up an interesting question. So Toro, a non guild bounty hunter in training has a tracking fob for Fennec Shand but not one for baby yoda, a considerably more important bounty for the Guild? Ugh, how great would it be if they told us how these fobs were distributed, Ill take that over how they work at this point.

Look, I've seen enough CW superhero shows to know lazy writing when I see it and these last two episodes reeked of "were just killing time until we can get to the last three episodes." Which is whatever, but episodes like these only serve to highlight whats not working, which is probably why so man people are getting down on the show.
    Last edited by Agrotera; 2019-12-10 at 08:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Thats a 100% baseless claim. We know 0 about Yoda's race except from Yoda. By yout logic, all humans should be able to force choke someone light-years away because Vader can do it. For all we know, Yoda was exceptional amongst his race as much as Anakin among humans. And if the thats the case, people need to stop complaining about Rey.

You forgot Yaddle. "A member of the same species as fellow Councilor Yoda, but about half his age, Yaddle trained dozens of Padawans in her time as a Jedi Master," from wookieepedia.

And another: "Vandar Tokare was a male Jedi Master of Yoda's species who was the head of the Dantooine Jedi Enclave Council during the Mandalorian Wars and Jedi Civil War," from wookieepedia.

Given that 3/3 of "Yoda's species" mentioned in canon are Jedi Masters, it's likely these are some kind of super-force-sensitive race of unknown origin.
    Last edited by Ibbi; 2019-12-10 at 08:37 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of entity, living, dead or in any other state of existence, is purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarities or any other parallels that are imagined and/or drawn by you, the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibbi View Post
    You forgot Yaddle. "A member of the same species as fellow Councilor Yoda, but about half his age, Yaddle trained dozens of Padawans in her time as a Jedi Master," from wookieepedia.
    I know who Yaddle is. That's still just two members of the species. There's also two humans on the Council, 3 of the 4 Sith in the movies are human. Doesn't mean humans are naturally force-sensitive.

As of now there's nothing that says Yoda's special are all force-sensitive superstars.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Agrotera View Post
    Look, I've seen enough CW superhero shows to know lazy writing when I see it and these last two episodes reeked of "were just killing time until we can get to the last three episodes." Which is whatever, but episodes like these only serve to highlight whats not working, which is probably why so man people are getting down on the show.
    and why do people think that's a bad thing? as a big star wars fan i'll take whatever star wars media i can get, even a couple clone wars episodes that are jar jar and padme heavy. it's not my favorite dish, but i'll eat.

i think people that are picking this show apart (or any show of any genre) maybe just aren't that big of star wars fans. or they're following the meme trends.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

7+ Year Old Account
    Enjoyed so far, way better than the garbage new trilogy imo, last episode was a bit weak but not every episode can be "the best"

Also i do like Mando in a degree, he is a cool protagonist

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, I am not sure why the fobs would still be on after he got his payout. They should have been useless after that. No one even knew Mando had stolen the baby when all their fobs started going off, doubt the doctor told on Mando. Even if the doctor did tell there was enough time between Mando left the Imperial hideout to the fobs beeping for any of that to matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Disney has stayed away from them this long. Seems like they kind of retconned them in TLJ as well (Luke suggested the Force can show up any time anywhere). Let's hope Disney drops midis for good.
    Just to address this last point - in a recent interview JJ Abrams also disagrees with the whole "midichlorians" thing. He says something to the effect that one of his favorite things about growing up on Star Wars was the idea that 'anyone' can become a Jedi and so he (as a director) was not interested in developing/including/giving credence to the midichlorian thing.

Seems pretty evident to me anyway that Disney is already vetoed that bit of "Lucas Canon." Let's hope so!

Also I just want to point out in its own little post --

Anyone bitching about anything Star Wars being "too Western" needs to hush. Star Wars was built as being a Space Opera Western. The whole trope behind the entire "Star Wars" is "Space Western." Lucas did that intentionally. He wanted Seven Samurai in Space. And this has never changed. Disney ain't about to change it.

So yea..duh... Mandalorian "feels" like a Western-trope show. GOOD! ITS SUPPOSE TO!

Firefly just took that trope and went 'beat you in the face' with it. (Yea, I'm one of those people who doesn't care for Firefly - and this is actually one of my reasons. Its TOO in your face "oh look western in space" with it.)

But to complain that Star Wars shouldn't be a "Western" type show/movie is basically changing the entire genre of the entity itself. Basically changing Star Wars into something Not-Star-Wars.

That is all.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know who Yaddle is. That's still just two members of the species. There's also two humans on the Council, 3 of the 4 Sith in the movies are human. Doesn't mean humans are naturally force-sensitive.

As of now there's nothing that says Yoda's special are all force-sensitive superstars.
    It has more to do with sample size.

So far 3 out of 3 of yodas species have been force sensitive.

Meanwhile I don't have an exact number but a few 1000's out of billions/trillions+ of humans are force sensitive.

(but you are correct there hasn't been any confirmation that the whole species is force sensitive.)
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2019-12-12 at 06:56 PM.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.