Poll: Clicky clicky

Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    You folks do you. I'm just saying, if I were a Scot and Englishmen ever talked about the SNP, Scotland and Scots the way the Tories did and Labour sometimes does, I'd start rioting.

It's worse than political differences. It's dehumanizing disrespect and sheer disregard for the rights and dignity of Scotland / Scots.

There are many Scots who are proud to be British, to the point that their British identity takes precedence over their Scottish identity. Personally, I value my Scottish identity more than my British, but some shit-talking Tory doesn't put a bee in my bonnet, let alone drive me to a riotous state. The Scots have been anti-Tory since Thatcher and I guess we have just grown thick skin when it comes to the nasty party.

Scotland's relationship with England has been strained throughout our shared history, but I think Irvine Welsh put it well in his novel Trainspotting.

I look forward to Indyref2, but I'm not convinced this is the right time to be pushing for it. With Indyref1 and the EUref, Scotland has been in a state of political fever pitch for 6 years and I really think its time for a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    SNP has almost the same economical platform as Labour.. So yeah..
    Perhaps you shouldn't advocate killing people.
    Says the Marxist haha. What's your guys body count up to these days 100 200 million?

Quote Originally Posted by HugsForFree View Post
    There are many Scots who are proud to be British, to the point that their British identity takes precedence over their Scottish identity. Personally, I value my Scottish identity more than my British, but some shit-talking Tory doesn't put a bee in my bonnet, let alone drive me to a riotous state. The Scots have been anti-Tory since Thatcher and I guess we have just grown thick skin when it comes to the nasty party.

Scotland's relationship with England has been strained throughout our shared history, but I think Irvine Welsh put it well in his novel Trainspotting.

I look forward to Indyref2, but I'm not convinced this is the right time to be pushing for it. With Indyref1 and the EUref, Scotland has been in a state of political fever pitch for 6 years and I really think its time for a break.
    Imma slightly point out here that the torys.... Kinda.... Sorta are the fault of Scotland. Its all tied in with the convernanters, jacobite's and James II.

Not that there wouldn't be a Conservative party formed at some point anyway but still.

Actualy thinking about it, Scotland has been instrumental in the forming of most political party's in the UK and yet is the place most forgotten by Westminster.

Torys formed there, whigs formed there, in fact tory and whig come from Scottish terms at the time, whigs became lib Dems and torys the Conservatives, Scotland was also labour's heartland till the SNP and most Labour leaders have been defended from Scots.

Also 6 Priministers since 1905 would qualify for the Scottish football team selection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    You believing nonsense doesn't allow you to promote my murder. You're going on ignore.
    Sounds like you ran out of arguments and are looking for an excuse to back out now you've shown how ill informed you are.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2019-12-12 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    She obviously meant to say desires, but people are making a big deal out of it. Lots of tinfoil hat wearers out there.
    Are you really suggesting that she simply misspoke and that there is not some sort of shadowy conspiracy going on here? Well I never...

On a serious note I find the BBC's news coverage, although not perfect, to be on the whole pretty good. I also find that people talking about bias in the BBC's news output - be it for the left or right - to be good indication that they should not be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Are you really suggesting that she simply misspoke and that there is not some sort of shadowy conspiracy going on here? Well I never...

On a serious note I find the BBC's news coverage, although not perfect, to be on the whole pretty good. I also find that people talking about bias in the BBC's news output - be it for the left or right - to be good indication that they should not be taken seriously.
    I just want the t.v licence removed. I think it's fucking archeic to force people to pay for a service they may not want or use.

I mean God's sakes its 2019 and the bbc is a private company now. We shouldn't be forced to pay for it just to have a TV.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2019-12-12 at 08:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Like what?

Like litteraly what?
    https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandp...-of-liverpool/

Imma slightly point out here that the torys.... Kinda.... Sorta are the fault of Scotland. Its all tied in with the convernanters, jacobite's and James II.

Not that there wouldn't be a Conservative party formed at some point anyway but still.

Actualy thinking about it, Scotland has been instrumental in the forming of most political party's in the UK and yet is the place most forgotten by Westminster.

Torys formed there, whigs formed there, inf fact tory and whig come from Scottish terms at the time, whigs became lib Dems and torys the Conservatives, Scotland was also labour's heartland till the SNP and most Labour leaders hae been defended from Scots.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you ran out of arguments and are looking for an excuse to back out now you've shown how ill informed you are.
    Ill informed? I agree, Scotland played a major part in shaping British politics, but the Mrs T effect destroyed the Tories in Scotland, as I mentioned in the post you replied to.

The bit you forgot is that the SNP were closer to the Tories until Salmond came along and move the party to the left. And your right, Scotland was Labours heartland but that was changed by Blair's New Labour, and Salmond's SNP simply filled the political void on the left created by Labours move to the right.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want the t.v licence removed. I think it's fucking archeic to force people to pay for a service they may not want or use.

I mean God's sakes its 2019 and the bbc is a private company now. We shouldn't be forced to pay for it just to have a TV.
    It's the only way to get a theoretically impartial news service. The problem, is when a government rather than protect it, holds it to ransom to force bias towards those who hold the purse strings.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    She obviously meant to say desires
    Aha... but that's the point isn't it: it could also have easily been a classic Freudian slip, but I don't know the journo or her leanings so can't say either way.

The thing about elections is that almost all hacks show their true political colours. Very few can successfully hide them. The ones that look the most ridiculous are the ones who pretend to be impartial when they clearly are not. #GE2019

https://twitter.com/MediaGuido/statu...27562931572736

I don't see much to argue about there.

Name me an "impartial" hack.

No-one is forced to pay for a TV licence, if you do not watch live television or use the I-Player then you do not have to pay the licence fee.

You're link is a very fascinating read on thatchers managed decline, specifically of Liverpool but also applicable to the North, but it at no point mentions how Labour has done anything. In fact it states that managed decline was still going on long after thatcher.

So what am I to infer from this?

That Westminster has abandoned us? Both red and blue?

I already knew that.

- - - Updated - - -

No-one is forced to pay for a TV licence, if you do not watch live television or use the I-Player then you do not have to pay the licence fee.
    You do if you hae a T.v that can be connected to an aerial.

Usual way round it is to cut the aireal line so there's no way it can be connected.

It's still also archeic.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're link is a very fascinating read on thatchers managed decline, specifically of Liverpool but also applicable to the North, but it at no point mentions how Labour has done anything. In fact it states that managed decline was still going on long after thatcher.

So what am I to infer from this?

That Westminster has abandoned us? Both red and blue?

I already knew that.
    The tories outlasted Thatcher. Blair's Labour didn't do enough, though it did more than the Conservatives, but we know where Blair's Labour really stood. That Labour isn't this Labour, as we're so frequently reminded by its detractors.

You do if you hae a T.v that can be connected to an aerial.

Usual way round it is to cut the aireal line so there's no way it can be connected.

It's still also archeic.
    If your TV is connected to an aerial then you are using their services and it is only right and proper that you pay for them. If you do not use their services - live TV or the I-Player - there is no requirement to pay a penny.

And I would suggest that it is because the BBC is not subject to the same commercial pressures as other networks that it is able to produce the programs that it does and I would also point out that the fee is a bargain when compared to the likes of Sky.

But this is way off topic.

Ill informed? I agree, Scotland played a major part in shaping British politics, but the Mrs T effect destroyed the Tories in Scotland, as I mentioned in the post you replied to.

The bit you forgot is that the SNP were closer to the Tories until Salmond came along and move the party to the left. And your right, Scotland was Labours heartland but that was changed by Blair's New Labour, and Salmond's SNP simply filled the political void on the left created by Labours move to the right.
    Blairs new labour you forget, swept the nation, including Scotland. Its was an utter tory massacre in 1997. For all of Blairs issues in the middle east and the economic long term effects and the rather badly written laws, he was the most successful Labour leader, dispite what some delusional fans say if corbyn, Blair won every election he faced as leader of Labour.

Now you could say he left befor he would lose, but if I'm honest Blair had more chance of winning that coalition election than boring gorden brown ever did.

The SNP's big romp to Westminster was after Blair had left and during Blairs time Scotland remained loyal. After the crazy coalition though the SNP have easentialy made any Labour attempt at leadership always an uphill battle for areas that just don't vote Labour very often.

When I look at the battle grownd areas of this election, there mostly areas Blair won but previously were Conservative and after were Conservative. And could only be flipped red by a blairite, there's no chance with a hard left candidate, for tat labour needs Scotland but the SNP now have that sown up.

So really labour can't ever get enough seats without the SNP to form a goverment unless it shifts its policy back to the center to flip conservative seats like Blair did.

Not saying any of that's good, right, wrong or w/e Labour can sink for all I care, just pointing out what I see the state of play is for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    The tories outlasted Thatcher. Blair's Labour didn't do enough, though it did more than the Conservatives, but we know where Blair's Labour really stood. That Labour isn't this Labour, as we're so frequently reminded by its detractors.
    I don't buy the this Labour isn't that Labour shit. Not any more than I buy the "it will work the next time honest guy's" that you get from the usual communist posters.

And that's because if systemic issues within the Labour Party that have formed over its life time but that would take a very long time for me to write out.

But any way I don't buy into rebrands and Management changes as absolvers of sin.

Blair did some shit right, especially when it came to giving opportunity to my generation in the north. But.... Let's face it. Our parents generation basicly got wrote off up here as a lost cause didn't they. And neither the torys or Labour gave a fuck and I don't here the right noises from current Labour when it comes to there policy's for the north, it seems they just want to forget everything from 1980 to now didn't happen and hope we will forgive them.

Eod to cut it short as I'm tierd the only way you and me in Lancashire or old Lancashire are gonna get our fair share is via devolution and there fucking terrified of further devolution due to how Scotland and Wales have used it to push for independance, and tbh there right to be scared of really delivering devolution and the northern power house because it will eventually lead to an independance movment.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll informed Was at the Marxist who put me on ignore

If your TV is connected to an aerial then you are using their services and it is only right and proper that you pay for them. If you do not use their services - live TV or the I-Player - there is no requirement to pay a penny.

And I would suggest that it is because the BBC is not subject to the same commercial pressures as other networks that it is able to produce the programs that it does and I would also point out that the fee is a bargain when compared to the likes of Sky.

But this is way off topic.
    Pretty confident you've never tried to convince the inspectors they send round that you aren't using the aerial on your roof whilst you own a TV. Because I have, and trust me, they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Pretty confident you've never tried to convince the inspectors they send round that you aren't using the aerial on your roof whilst you own a TV. Because I have, and trust me, they don't.
    Those t.v license guys are absolute cunts. I Sware they only hire the biggest cunts they can find for that job.

I have not however I have found that it was a simple task to inform them that the TV we used for training purposes was not used for watching live TV and that we did not have an aerial. I am pretty sure that they did at some point - after a number of years - follow up on this and it was a simple case of showing them the TV that was not tuned in or connected to aerial and that was the end of it.

Surely it would be quite easy to show the inspector that the aerial is not plugged into the TV? Or if you wanted to awkward you could have just shut the door on them.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-12-12 at 08:54 PM.

I have not however I have found that it was a simple task to inform them that the TV we used for training purposes was not used for watching live TV and that we did not have an aerial.

Surely it would be quite easy to show the inspector that the aerial is not plugged into the TV? Or if you wanted to awkward you could have just shut the door on them.
    Like MH said above, you seen these fuckers? They don't send little fellas round lol. As to your property, we talking domestic or business?

Either way, try your luck in a domestic property next year, see how you fare.

As to the bolded, they don't believe you don't have a cable stashed in the house or elsewhere. They aren't fucking retarded lol.

Like MH said above, you seen these fuckers? They don't send little fellas round lol. As to your property, we talking domestic or business?

Either way, try your luck in a domestic property next year, see how you fare.

As to the bolded, they don't believe you don't have a cable stashed in the house or elsewhere. They aren't fucking retarded lol.
    It was a commercial property and as I said there was no issue whatsoever.

I pay my TV licence and have no issue with it so why would I do that?

Well OK then. As I said in my edit it was a simple enough to show them the TV was not tuned in and that we did not have an aerial - I guess we just dealt with the idiots.

For all of Blairs issues in the middle east and the economic long term effects and the rather badly written laws, he was the most successful Labour leader, dispite what some delusional fans say if corbyn, Blair won every election he faced as leader of Labour....

I don't buy the this Labour isn't that Labour shit.
    So Blair was superior to Corbyn but Labour are exactly the same now as they were then. At least try and be consistent within a single post, idiot.