FF 14 refernces to other media

So many of the dailies etc seem to have song lyric , titles or movie title references. Similar to WoW but on a bigger scale.

Being on a Japanese server, I wonder if they get Japanese movie/song references or still use American song/movie references but in Japanese?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

My understanding is that it's mostly the English translation team spicing things up. Apparently the Japanese version is fairly dry and straightforward.

I remember there was a mini-controversy around Midgarsommr, where people felt the English translation team got a bit too far away from the Japanese. I think since then they've been a bit more careful, especially with the MSQ.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    My understanding is that it's mostly the English translation team spicing things up. Apparently the Japanese version is fairly dry and straightforward.

I remember there was a mini-controversy around Midgarsommr, where people felt the English translation team got a bit too far away from the Japanese. I think since then they've been a bit more careful, especially with the MSQ.
    On the flip side, the Japanese player base once complained that the English version of the game got more flavor and lore and they wanted that, meaning the Japanese players wanted more of the English flavor text and lore added.

That was a big element that lead to their current structure where Koji-Fox is more collaborative with the story team in Japan from the start rather than just localizing after the fact.

Midgardsormr seemed to be an outlier where they got more apart from one another. However, the tongue in cheek naming for FATEs and stuff does seem to be more from the localization efforts while I think Japan's names are more straightforward, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are still plenty of puns. Apparently puns are a very popular form of humor in Japan while the west sees them as low form of humor. Japan's likely comes from words that sound similar meaning different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    On the flip side, the Japanese player base once complained that the English version of the game got more flavor and lore and they wanted that, meaning the Japanese players wanted more of the English flavor text and lore added.

That was a big element that lead to their current structure where Koji-Fox is more collaborative with the story team in Japan from the start rather than just localizing after the fact.

Midgardsormr seemed to be an outlier where they got more apart from one another. However, the tongue in cheek naming for FATEs and stuff does seem to be more from the localization efforts while I think Japan's names are more straightforward, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are still plenty of puns. Apparently puns are a very popular form of humor in Japan while the west sees them as low form of humor. Japan's likely comes from words that sound similar meaning different things.
    I would adhere that to the fact that Japanese puns are much more refined and multilayered than cheap english puns. Like say the anime Durarara. Its meant to mimic the sound of a bike engine revving but would also mimic someone japanese pronouncing Dullahan.

Or kill la kill. Nonsensical anime name? its actually THICK with puns. It would be prounced Kiru la Kiru, which either is or sounds like the japanese words for Kill, cut, wear, dress. Any combination of which are incredibly relevant to the show.

not to mention the words in japanese for fashion visually resemble the words for Fascism and sailor uniform resembles the word for conquest. it goes even further and its all enough to make your head spin.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2019-12-14 at 07:25 PM.