Art & Music team appreciation thread

Those guys don't get the love they deserve. Eversong Woods & it's music and ambience still haunts my dreams. Duskwood, Plaguelands, Trisfal, Deadwind Pass, Black Temple and Karazhan as well.

Also, old Brill song. What the fuck. Literally gives off Silent Hill vibes.
    Last edited by Dark Succ; 2019-12-14 at 10:41 PM.
    "You stand at a dangerous crossroads. You can either stay here and be slaughtered by human hands... Or choose a darker path... To freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingWarrior View Post
    Those guys don't get the love they deserve. Eversong Woods & it's music and ambience still haunts my dreams. Duskwood, Plaguelands, Trisfal, Deadwind Pass, Black Temple and Karazhan as well.

Yeah, Russell Brower was the man. Too bad Blizzard fired him.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    Yeah, Russell Brower was the man. Too bad Blizzard fired him.
    David Arkenstone and Neal Acree have also composed some of the most iconic tunes in post Cata WoW, e.g. Nightsong and Anduin's theme (from Legion) respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

It’s very commonly known and appreciated that the art team is carrying wow. They get plenty of love.

However I do want to give them some hate for the raid gear sets they have created for BFA. Those were some ugly shit.

Jason Hayes delivers unforgettable compositions all throughout Vanilla WoW, and I personally don't see him mentioned much for how much he defined the iconic Warcraft musical style.

He's been credited recently for example, on A Return to Arms in BfA, which is the Alliance Arathi Warfront tune. It's a call back to the super famous A Call To Arms. Or how about anytime the opening theme is interpreted on.

My favorite bits from Jason Hayes' work is the times the melodies roll out into these vista-like soundscapes. You can feel your heart on the edge of the magical world that's Azeroth with the sweeping low brass and strings.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

I love the moments where the music and environments just reel me in and I just have to stop questing for a moment and breathe it in. The Argent Tournament at night, Grizzly Hills, and that lush mountain in northern Stormsong Valley with all the bees buzzing around all come to mind.

People who play without the music on haven't played World of Warcraft yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

5+ Year Old Account
    If there's one thing that WoW never fails to meet my (admittedly high) expectations, is music and visuals. Those are consistently not good, but excellent - think of landscapes such as Azuremyst, Grizzly Hills, Kun Lai, Talador or Suramar, just to name a few.

And music is even better: the tracks for Eversong, Azuremyst (again, it's one of the highest quality zones in all of WoW imo), Sholazar Basin, Outland SMV or Legion Dalaran have become ringtones for my mobile phone for quite some time already

Too bad that the folks in charge of gameplay-related features often squander all that talent, but I disgress...

This has always been a strong point for Blizzard, and i absolutely love Drustvar. I think the gear / weapon designs have taken a HUGE nosedive in BfA - i read a rumor that Blizzard was outsourcing much of the gear designs now, and if true, would explain a lot. The sad part is they clearly still have amazingly talented artists in house, and when you compare some of the race sets and similar, they look great. The same cannot be said for raid / dungeon gear and weapons though, imo.

Boralus theme is great.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

5+ Year Old Account
    The art and music team carry the rest of the dev team, every time.

They definitely deserve a shout out. Especially the music. No matter how crappy other aspects of the game sometimes get the music is almost always fantastic.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    The same cannot be said for raid / dungeon gear and weapons though, imo.
    This. It's sad when raid/dungeon gear from 10+ years ago looks better than the current designs

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    This. It's sad when raid/dungeon gear from 10+ years ago looks better than the current designs
    I honestly cannot remember where i read the "outsourced" claim, and usually these sort of things are just created in the minds of Blizzard haters (which still could be the case). However, when you look at things like the artifact weapons, and some of the heritage armor sets, and compare them to raid sets, i think there is a very strong case for there being two entirely different teams working on armor / weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

People who play without the music on haven't played World of Warcraft yet.

This can't be stressed enough.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

While they have undeniably done a great job with Kul Tiras and Zandalar, I'd like to highlight a location that in my opinion is very underrated despite being amongst the best and most relaxing places in the game, and that place is Telogrus Rift. Everything about it is flawless in my opinion, the atmosphere with the stars and the planets on the horizon is just beautiful and the music is amongst my absolute favourites in the game:

Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

WoW's composers have always done a 10/10 job. Music that's always stuck with me for some reason:

Coldridge Valley/Dun Morogh
    Vanilla Darkshore
    Barrens
    Howling Fjord
    Azuremyst Isle
    Dragonblight
    Shadowmoon Valley (Draenor)

Terokkar Forest (Outland). I have annoyed many a friend by insisting we stop to let the track finish before we continue. Also, despite WoD's many faults, the soundtrack was great. I still play Everbloom every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I don't understand why most tier sets not only look terrible, but are virtually indistinguishable from each other. As much as I loved Wrath, the 'all armors are brown' theme got old. Sometimes I think Blizzard needs to hold a costume design contest and incorporate winning fan submissions.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    As much as I loved Wrath, the 'all armors are brown' theme got old. Sometimes I think Blizzard needs to hold a costume design contest and incorporate winning fan submissions.
    Idk, I loved most of tier sets from Wrath, especially the priest and DK ones. Warrior and mage were a bit drab, I agree.

7+ Year Old Account

Technically, these (not specifically these, just part of their team) created situation that led to departure of fairly noticeable number of subscribers (including me) from the game... yes, yes, I'm talking about "new" character models. At the same time, while reading OP's post, I can't but note, that I have absolutely nothing to reproach people he exactly means. Can only ideologically chide them for cataclysm and other "alterations" of old locations (and mainly, from point of art, there will be claim to chosen palette, the rest are technical flaws such as organization of lighting and influence of it together with shadows on textures of especially active/dynamic elements of the game; but it will take a long time to clarify specifically about "what" part, and topic, as a whole, isn't about it), but it was probably not theirs whim.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-12-16 at 07:58 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

I like the design, but music could be better. But I'll try to like it