Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are Blizzard ignoring botting in Classic?

I've been floating around STV the last few days, and there is a hunter in a certain spot that is clearly botting. Been there every time I log on and has levelled from 49 to 57 in that time purely grinding out mobs.

I've reported this character 3 times, and yet there he still is. Botting away. Are Blizzard ignoring tickets? Or are they just happy for people to bot?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

They generally try to figure out how the bot works and break it if possible, rather than just banning individuals.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard bans bots in waves, they dont ban them as soon as they are reported.

They observe them to find ways to better detect the bots, however its a eternal battle since bot makers are usually one step ahead

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    They generally try to figure out how the bot works and break it if possible, rather than just banning individuals.
    Such a useless approach... while Blizzard are busy scratching their hole "observing", the bot user is raking in gold and selling it for money. By the time any action is taken, the botter has accumulated their wealth to buy the next set of updated bots and accounts to do it all over again.

This will only catch out regular players, it doesn't affect gold sellers AT ALL.

Blizzard benefits either way because they were paid for accounts, the botter made their money, all the while the players have to put up with bots 24/7.

If a direct approach with active GMs banning botters on the spot (like what other MMOs actually commit to...) bot activity would quickly whittle down.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-12-15 at 12:27 PM.

They don't ban someone just because you say he's botting.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Such a useless approach...
    well they have to know if its bot and how it works, they cant just ban only because of reports.. because then many innocent people will get banned and people already can get banned for nothing because of report system..

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    well they have to know if its bot and how it works, they cant just ban only because of reports.. because then many innocent people will get banned and people already can get banned for nothing because of report system..
    By "many" you mean those caught and lying? Many bots are bloody blatant to observe... And as far as I am aware of people don't get banned merely from reports, just squelched from talking if accumulated enough...

By "many" you mean those caught and lying? Many bots are bloody blatant to observe... And as far as I am aware of people don't get banned merely from reports, just squelched from talking if accumulated enough...
    with enough reports even innocent people can get banned.. my guild tested it multiple times back in the days and i know it still works like that, where you 100 people can just report a person and he'll get banned. Ofc people will get unbanned later, but innocent people definitely still getting banned, some people even get bans on accounts they didn't even play on because of mistakes etc.

suggesting that people only report botters and that people even know how to detect bots.. like i myself was called a bot a lot when i was farming herbs, because i was running in circles around the zone essentially

again regardless of all that they cant just start banning people because you reported them alone because you thought they were botting, they have to investigate if that person was actually botting

The reason they wait is because botters usually have access to so many compromised accounts that being banned on one didn’t make any difference.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    The reason they wait is because botters usually have access to so many compromised accounts that being banned on one didn’t make any difference.
    I really dont think that is the reason at all. Where did you get this idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Been there every time I log on and has levelled from 49 to 57 in that time purely grinding out mobs.?
    Sounds like basic vanilla leveling to me.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Such a useless approach... while Blizzard are busy scratching their hole "observing", the bot user is raking in gold and selling it for money. By the time any action is taken, the botter has accumulated their wealth to buy the next set of updated bots and accounts to do it all over again.

This will only catch out regular players, it doesn't affect gold sellers AT ALL.

Blizzard benefits either way because they were paid for accounts, the botter made their money, all the while the players have to put up with bots 24/7.

If a direct approach with active GMs banning botters on the spot (like what other MMOs actually commit to...) bot activity would quickly whittle down.
    “Hey, I just reported you for botting, have fun on your ban!”
    That’s kind of why they actually look into the reports.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been floating around STV the last few days, and there is a hunter in a certain spot that is clearly botting. Been there every time I log on and has levelled from 49 to 57 in that time purely grinding out mobs.

I've reported this character 3 times, and yet there he still is. Botting away. Are Blizzard ignoring tickets? Or are they just happy for people to bot?
    They dont ban solely based on reports... they actively try and prove that its actually a bot before they act... Imagine if you got banned for false reports (yes, they could do that).

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account

So they should just take your word for it and instantly ban the guy?

/facepalm

A lot of guys play at work and stuff as they play

I have tested a lot of people who looked like bots who were clearly just very bad or unable to sit down and play properly at that moment

At least 50% of the time he's just a shitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    A lot of guys play at work and stuff as they play

I have tested a lot of people who looked like bots who were clearly just very bad or unable to sit down and play properly at that moment

At least 50% of the time he's just a shitter
    This has been my experience as well. I knew a guy who worked in IT at my company who kept a spare PC at his desk and the smallest monitor he could find. He spent the day fishing and basically just farming a small little area while he worked. I saw him do that for literally years. It was basically how he made money.... I don't think he really even did anything with it. He just liked collecting money, and was bored at work. It was horribly inefficient, but I think it just gave him something to do.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    They don't ban someone just because you say he's botting.
    This. Guy is probably just farming mobs like crazy all day. Leave him alone.

If you cant identify a bot you are probably a bot.

There are a lot of lvl 60 hunter bots farming in silithus / azshara. I also found a 5 man bot group farming Sunken Temple on my realm, free 2.5k honor EZClap when there was no battlegrounds.

Some of these bots even had gank protection active so they logged out for 10 minutes after each kill.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2019-12-16 at 12:39 AM.

Here's what happens:

1) You spot alleged bot and report it
    2) Blizzard investigates and determines if it is a bot or not. If no, then stop here. If yes, continue.
    3) Start studying bot and how it is interacting because it has obviously gotten around Warden and other such things.
    5) Blizzard develops countermeasure
    6) Blizzard identifies a pattern to help them identify others using the same bot with minimal false positives and gets a hit list.
    7) Blizzard implements fix via hotfix, client patch, etc.
    8) Ban wave goes out
    9) Bot author updates code and we go back to step 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    If you cant identify a bot you are probably a bot.

There are a lot of lvl 60 hunter bots farming in silithus / azshara. I also found a 5 man bot group farming Sunken Temple on my realm, free 2.5k honor EZClap when there was no battlegrounds.

Some of these bots even had gank protection active so they logged out for 10 minutes after each kill.
    And I'm willing to bet that not a single person howling about 'bots' is willing to eat a permaban for misidentifying someone as a bot.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.