Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by komlit View Post
    As stated in Title. How long now until they offer official Box gear boost or the likes? "For 19.99 Get 450 Raid ready items" You need flask? For 5.99 get 200!

I for one hope it does not but if it does how far out do you think we are from this reality.
    It has already happened.

Step 1: buy gold with a mighty slash of your credit card.
    Step 2: buy 450 items from the AH with said gold.
    Step 3: profit????

It's just a lil' more expensive than $19.99 though
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Some people seem to think because the long neck mount is going to the BMAU in SL that they're "forcing" people to buy tokens to sell for gold to buy the mount before it goes away
    yeah. too bad there arent other ways to have access to the AH

Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    Hasn't WoW been pay-to-win since Classic?
    I remember a vivid community of people accepting in-game gold (and other payment methods) for carries through raids back in vanilla all the way through MoP (it started to wane in WoD as the population thinned a bit).
    I'm sure it's still out there and thriving, especially with the WoW token replacing the gold farming sites.
    It declined in WoD because that was the first expansion with a sensible gearing scheme. For minimal effort you'd get about 1 guaranteed epic a week (pvp/ashran and raid mission). Which in turn meant that very few people needed boosts to gear seen as you could step into heroic progression with a few mythic pieces, and alts were easy as fudge to gear. Maybe some bought the 12 required hc bosses to get mythic gear missions, but save for challenge mode boosts, there was little to gain by buying boosts.

Now on the other hand? Loads of people can tell you that boosts advertisement is the only thing they see in trade chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Pay 2 win means paying real money for any kind of in game advantages.
    So expansion packs are p2w then?

How long until OP leaves their life to breed llamas in the Andes?

Gotta love loaded questions with foregone conclusions. They make you sound credible and intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    tbh fam that's all I ever do - I just buy my way through everything.. I mean it's just easier that way right

on topic.. Pay To Win is available if you believe gold has value.. Everyone on the forums here probably believes you can just pay someone gold and get gladiator or whatever but lets be honest, LIKELY that's never going to happen - Those are called PILOTS and those are illegal in game

The pay to get a carry MAY work for SOME things like M+10 or SOME people to carry for heroic kills.. but when it comes to Mythic Mount Purchases or M+15's in time etc.. You're getting to a point where you're paying so much gold that you have to debate about what you're actually doing: and if you're going to get scammed lol

Just work for what you get and move on, the game gives you free loot PER WEEK in a chest.. just run a m10 (and dont tell me you cant get a ten, I got my 15's all in time achieve and I'm the worst player in wow..) you can do a 30 minute m10 run per week and be decked in 440-455 gear from that ALONE.

Pay to Win means you pay rl money and you just beat everyone: That's just not how WoW works (At least not ALL THE TIME)

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    P2W is a mechanism created by the developer.
    It's all using existing methods, just violating the ToS.
    Blizzard just allowed for sanctioned gold purchases to protect players from usually dangerous transactions.
    And I hardly doubt anyone but the richest fucks of fucks just purchase dozens of tokens to have enough gold to buy a BoE for every slot, only to have "great" items for a few months.
    Most players likely get a token or two to supplement their gold to purchase some gold simk item, instead of farming that gold over several weeks.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

The trolls are not even trying anymore.

WoW is a subscription game with a very small cash shop. It barely has any additional monetization over the sub. Some people argue there shouldn't be any, which is maybe not completely without a point, but it's hard to expect these days. Anyway, no, gear selling through store isn't coming ever. Things like that are barely present even in the most egregiously monetized games, simply because it looks and feels bad. If anything they focus on selling more cosmetics, different types of boosts etc.

It's also debatable what is "winning" in WoW. If you consider having best gear and collectibles winning, then it has always been kind of possible to buy that, just through less legal channels.

PS. It is too much to say that the dino mount becoming discontinued means that someone is forced to buy tokens, but it definitely encourages it for the people who wish to get it.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2019-12-18 at 12:16 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    So expansion packs are p2w then?
    No they wouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    -4 years, 255 days

-IMAGE-

- - - Updated - - -

P2W is a mechanism created by the developer. P2W is not 3rd parties.
    Like how the supposed P2W things, M+, raid carries etc were created by players not the devs?

Most this higher end shit is from whales making gold not idiots buying gold. Antorus the mount was being sold for 9m almost to BFAs release.
    I doubt there was a large about of people rushing out to spend $857USD on it.
    Last edited by Yunaqt; 2019-12-18 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    .....again..what did you "win"?
    Well, if this is how you are going to play it. There will never be any pay2win in wow. Because if you buy the gear directly from blizzard or buy it through players boosts. Would be the exact same end result with a few extra hoops in one of them.

It won't, sure some "big brains" claim that buying a boost from other players is pay to win but thats warping the definition beyond absurdity.

No the token is not pay to win, nor has it ever been pay to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It has already happened.

Step 1: buy gold with a mighty slash of your credit card.
    Step 2: buy 450 items from the AH with said gold.
    Step 3: profit????

It's just a lil' more expensive than $19.99 though
    Don't forget I can sell tokens for gold then use that gold to buy 2200 Arena ratings and Mythic carries..

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    bout the same time as they make essences accountwide....
    Don't lie to us or yourself; they'll go pay to win before they make an intentionally time-wasting grind account-wide.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by komlit View Post
    As stated in Title. How long now until they offer official Box gear boost or the likes? "For 19.99 Get 450 Raid ready items" You need flask? For 5.99 get 200!

I for one hope it does not but if it does how far out do you think we are from this reality.
    when wow goes free to play,and even then,maybe not

10+ Year Old Account
    People were saying P2W was next when they put the sparklepony mount in back in WotLK.

I think we're fine.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

It already is pay to win.

When they remove the subscription fee.

kinda hard to define "Winning" honestly

this isn't like Final Fantasy where if you have the best gear you can just faceroll the final boss....if your mythically geared than standing in fire in LFR will still kill you. Maybe you can kill some lowbies SLIGHTLY better? In reality....winning is the eye of the beholder....

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Ugh... I just can't leave that stand. I'm sorry.

Blizzard - does - not - sell - gold.
    Players earn the gold, Players pay the gold.
    Blizzard does not provide additional ingame currency in any way whatsoever.
    I'd agree with you if they didn't merely act as a facilitator of the trade using the token as an intermediary link in the chain. Instead of a goldsink it's a win-win for blizz in terms of selling gametime and selling gold for whoever is interested in their buyin-only crypto-currency to access the ingame economy. It's an extra step for better or worse given the options it allows for.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.