Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Idk about the others but Superman has an explanation for his vast power. He's an alien race who functions wildly differently under Earth's forces of nature.

Anakin, Luke, Rey on the other hand? They're as good as they are simply because when they were born the force decided to like them more. That's shit writing.

Quit jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth because I'm calling out something you are clearly blindly biased to. Grow up.
    Are you seriously making the argument that Superman being born on a random alien world is better writing than midichlorians in the blood? It's all the same shit.

Anakin, Luke, Rey on the other hand? They're as good as they are simply because when they were born the force decided to like them more. That's shit writing.
    And Superman is Superman because fate decided that he was born Kryptonian, instead of an earthworm, which gives him his powers. Please don't pretend 'Our yellow sun interacts with his cells and gives him the power to benchpress a planet!' isn't just as shitty. Doesn't mean the stories can't be enjoyable.

You guys are kinda getting off the rail and also very stupid. The power level of a character and the means of its power doesent equal bad writting at all. Bad writting is not being able to actually make a good story well written out of it. There is trash tier and god tier superman stories. It just needs to be the proper stakes and the proper struggle. Superman struggles all the time and i dont mean just physically, some of the better superman story is when he struggles ethicaly. Its like saying Greek mythology is shit, because gods are born with their powers, cute.

Theres almost no actual problem with Rey power, except one in the new trilogy the powers follow video gameplay logic (which in video game is often taken off the plot for being, well NON SENSE). Rey developes new force powers because the plots needs it(in game its because you need them to spice up gameplay). She can read mind, because it further the plot, she can now jedi mind trick, because she has to escape, she can now fight with a light saber because she has to, she can now be a telepath with kylo because they gotta speak togheter to form a connection somehow, she can now lift boulders because she has to save them, she can now shoot lightning because her grand father could, she can now heal someone dying because she has to save him, she can now deflect the emperor lighting a strike so powerful it blows up a full fleet of SPACESHIP, because how the fuck else is she gona kill someone that destroy space fleets as a person? RoS made the emperor literally the most powerful villain star wars ever had and made him the easiest to defeat ever made in the same movie lmao.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-12-19 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    You guys are kinda getting off the rail and also very stupid. The power level of a character and the means of its power doesent equal bad writting at all. Bad writting is not being able to actually make a good story well written out of it. There is trash tier and god tier superman stories. It just needs to be the proper stakes and the proper struggle. Superman struggles all the time and i dont mean just physically, some of the better superman story is when he struggles ethicaly. Its like saying Greek mythology is shit, because gods are born with their powers, cute.
    I agree to a degree, but powers should be consistent too. If a character is easily kicking ass in one scene, and then being bitchslapped by someone he just dominated with ease, that's bad writing.

Just came back, need to process what I saw but I sort of liked it. The opening scene gave me chills. Not gonna bother with spoiler tags, don’t read the thread if you haven’t watched it yet.

The major parts that bothered me are still Rey being basically a Force God developing powers as the plot needs it, some big revelations being rushed out, the Force acting as a transfer device for physical objects, the sitcom style Marvel humour that can just die in a corner (though it was a lot less obnoxious than in TLJ).

What I eventually liked the most was Kylo Ren his entire story arc, how the Sith segments gave the movie a lot more gravitas and were way more menacing than anything the First Order or Snoke in his bathrobe ever did, Ian McDiarmid his voice acting was great.

Overall it was a decent final movie and for me easily the best out of the new 3. Was it great? No, but it didn’t drag me down the way TLJ did every other scene and it did more than the cheap copy of ANH that TFA ended up being.
    Last edited by Ashina; 2019-12-19 at 01:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    And none of that changes my point. You are lumping anyone critical of the movie into the "being negative" category.
    You can't be critical about a movie you haven't watched yet. You have zero credibility if you do. When the movie will be out, then those who have watched it will be able to be "critical" about it. And being critical is not only about saying how bad something is, but also how good. If I have not been clear yet, I'm not lumping anyone critical to the movie into the "negative" category. I'm denying their ability to be critical about it before the movie is out and they have actually watched it.

And who knows? Maybe I won't like The Rise of Skywalker either. But at least I will talk about something I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Just came back, after discussing the movie with friends. I'll keep it spoiler free.

Was it great? No. Was it terrible? No. It was ok. It was an ok end to the continuation of a story that didn't need continuing.

There are a few questions that the movie answers, and a few it creates. A good chunk of its beginning felt as if it was supposed to be Last Jedis story that they now had to add for the finale to make sense.

Would I reccomend it? Eh. This is difficult to answer. It's not a retread of an existing movie, like Force Awakens was, except for some of the parts where it is. Even though I still despise Last Jedi, I don't like a few of the cheap shots it takes at that movie. You made that, you don't get to riddicule it.

The actors did great. All of them. Arts department and visuals also outdid themselves. Soundtrack is great. I like the saber fights, they felt like a good mix inbetween Prequels and Sequels. Not as much unnecessary spinning and flicking, more meaningful strokes.

They do spend a decent chunk of time expositioning... which is a little sad. Still, the movie didn't feel like 2.5 hours.

If anything, the movie underlined that the entire sequel think was a mistake, to begin with. They should have written their own stories, instead of trying to continue one that was already finished.

So, if you enjoyed Last Jedi, but didn't enjoy TFA, this movie isn't for you.

If you enjoyed TFA, but hated Last Jedi, like me, you'll be entertained. You'll see the flaws, but you'll be entertained.

If you don't like Star Wars then wtf are you doing in this thread?
    Now, that's being critical. But what if I both enjoyed TFA and TLJ?
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by kontinuum View Post
    palp uses force lightning, rey blocks with 1 lightsaber. Palp claims he has the power of all sith, rey then claims she has the power of all jedi. Rey force pulls the other lightsaber on the ground, uses both lightsabers to push back the force lightning. Palpatine dies.

ayy lmao
    el
    oh
    el

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can confirm the leaks were true, every single one of them. Just back from seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post

Theres almost no actual problem with Rey power
    She's a Mary Sue, put Luke on his ass with little training and was able to do feats in such a short time that supposedly one of the most powerful jedi ever couldn't with years under his belt. Now all it took to kill Palpatine just one extra lightsaber. It's garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    because that was just palpatine revealing his true self through use of the dark side, which we know can affect people physically

- - - Updated - - -

I genuinely believe literally anyone on this thread would have made a better star wars film than Rian
    I don't think you even know why you didn't like TLJ. I think you, like almost everyone who bashes it day in and day out, points out flaws in that movie as a negative, while ignoring the same flaws in other movies in the franchise. Sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    He has a wife and daughter
    I feel sorry for them. Hopefully he isn't such a negative, horrible person in real life.

Not surprised to see it not doing very well critically, after the last 2 movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    These leaks are so bad that they can't possibly be true. Which is why I've dismissed them for when the movie is actually out.
    Sadly they all pretty much are to some extent.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerplank View Post
    Now all it took to kill Palpatine just one extra lightsaber. It's garbage.
    Just saw footage of that clip, I was laughing hard.

All of the vader and luke arc made pointless for a crossing the saber to return his lightning into his face moment..... it is so stupid to just destroy all efforts of the originals and prequels for a Rey is the strongest jedi ever moment.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Indres View Post
    Lmao

Heelvsbaby face is a fucking piece of shit. The movie sucked but I wouldnt take anything from him

Like what a bitter angry man, his entire channel is dedicating to finding things to be angry about. He needs to get some pussy
    Not true, have you seen his Mandalorian reviews?

7+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference between being gifted by the force and being "force sensitive" on the levels Anakin, Luke, and later Rey are.
    i didn't had much problem with anakin and Luke, luke to me was garbage in the movies, and even lost many times, barely could reach his lightsaber.

Anakin was nothing, and only gained real power training hard with Obi-wan, and even went to a long way to be powerful, and even succumbed to the dark side

Rey is just "yeah fuck it", it was awful

Quote Originally Posted by Gulantik View Post
    Also whats with Rey trying to pull a ship out of the sky? Is there much precedent for that in terms of force ability?
    Kinda, kinda not. The force unleashed games had the protagonist (Starkiller - cringe) do that in a boss fight. Afaik that wasn't canon until now.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Not a bad movie overall, but it should have been called Deus Ex Machina: The movie.
    Nothing is ever explained, as if nothing was written beforehand at all.
    Overall good action, nothing makes sense and you travel through 20 planets in 20 minutes so that feels rushed, Palpatine's death is a bit too fast imo (it was great until that "and me, I am all the Jedi ! nananananana" and boom dual lightsaber u ded) and we could have had a nice ending with a lightsaber duel between both, or at least Palpatine not dying in 2 seconds.
    Lots of clichés, but that was expected though. Finn seems to want to fit Finn Junior into every single female in the galaxy, I even expected he would kiss Poe when they hugged after winning the war...

- Hey, what if we used the Holdo maneuver, as all the ships are conveniently aligned ?
    - No, that was an exceptionnal situation
    - And now it's a totally normal one ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Come on, at least find a pseudo-physics explanation. Doesn't work here because of gravity, because of the temperature, because of an interference, I don't care, not "because i don't want to".

- Hey, Chewbacca is in this ship !
    - How do you know ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Hey, the Dagger is here !
    - How do you know ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, but I know we need it to find what we look for !
    - How do you know ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, the good news is that I know from which point I shall look to find the compass in the destroyed Death Star, even though we arrived here with a huge touch of luck as we crashed
    - That seems random right ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Why do we bother building a planet-size cannon to destroy planets if we can just create super-cannon we can equip our ships with ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Hey, the ships cannot navigate without this radio signal !
    - Why ? All our ships perfectly can, and they can probably just... look toward the planet to remember where is the "down" and the "up"
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Hey, the signal is now in THIS ship ! (says the non-Force user)
    - How do you know ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Hey, if we throw all our Grenades into this hole totally not nearby the antenna, it will destroy it (but without destroying the part we're sitting on) !
    - How do you know ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- We destroyed the all the paper ships on this planet, now we have won because all the other ships will spontaneously explode without being attacked !
    - Why ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What was the purpose of all the buildup upon Ren's knight again ? They served no purpose and were killed in seconds (I think 20 seconds ?) when they had to finally fight.
    Last edited by Ophenia; 2019-12-19 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    You're literally the opposite of correct here - it's the only Star Wars film WITHOUT soul

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna say it - Calling yourself Skywalker when you have literally no connection to any Skywalker is weirdchamp
    She got adopted by ghosts. Didn't you see the way they smiledat her?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gulantik View Post
    snip
    Use dem spoiler tags brah.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I think the movie is a pile of crap. More plotholes and lazy writing.

Am I the only one concerned with:

• Force Ghost++ (ghosts being able to do physical things and use the force to influence the world, they could in theory manifest and wreck all evil if they wanted to)
    • Force Heal (This brings so many problems in the lore)
    • Force Skype (call me, fight me, teleport stuff)

The plotholes in this flick are so many and frankly it introduced more than it attempted to close them. It's a full on mess, but JJ does what JJ knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    She got adopted by ghosts. Didn't you see the way they smiledat her?

- - - Updated - - -

Use dem spoiler tags brah.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I think the movie is a pile of crap. More plotholes and lazy writing.

Am I the only one concerned with:

• Force Ghost++ (ghosts being able to do physical things and use the force to influence the world, they could in theory manifest and wreck all evil if they wanted to)
    • Force Heal (This brings so many problems in the lore)
    • Force Skype (call me, fight me, teleport stuff)

The plotholes in this flick are so many and frankly it introduced more than it attempted to close them. It's a full on mess, but JJ does what JJ knows.
    It was never gonna end truly well with JJ at the helm

But yes both JJ and RJ have shown a complete disregard to what their new powers and weaponizations does for the overall lore.

Force ghosts probably the biggest issue overall. Thank god they didn't know how to do this in The Old Republic age, that'd be a lot of force ghosts wrecking havoc ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    Between Force Awakens and Marvel I was burned out a long time ago. But honestly I love what I’m hearing I’m glad they didn’t listen to morons and did the right thing. Even if the films aren’t made for me anymore. Sometimes it’s time to move on.

As long as the younger generation is happy and it makes a boat load of money. Gg

I’ll be seeing Cats because at least I’ve never seen it and can’t predict it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis