Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    I can't just discount the impact the Star Wars franchise had on my childhood, and got me interested in all different kinds of things (space, science, sci-fi etc). I was incredibly excited to see The Force Awakens, and probably saw it 3 times in the cinemas and saw Rogue One twice.

The Last Jedi felt like a betrayal of everything I had enjoyed before. I skipped Solo after that and still haven't seen it. It made me re-evaluate The Force Awakens and brought all it's flaws to the surface. I still really enjoy Rogue One probably because it's a standalone film that really can't be bastardized too much because of the point in time that it occupies, but I never thought the day would come when I have no interest in seeing a major Star Wars release
    As someone who feels almost exactly the same as you from the early movies to how TLJ felt like a betrayal, I would highly encourage you to see Solo. I definitely get why people wanted to punish Disney or are just fed up with Disney for what they put out, which they deserve, but I think Bob Igor wants to fix it, so I'm giving them a little benefit of the doubt. Also, I enjoyed Solo, so as a SW fan, you may just be depriving yourself by not watching it.

I'm willing to give Disney a pass so far because from what I can tell I think Igor understands the problems with 8 and is trying to fix it. Igor blames himself for being too hands off (like he is with Marvel, but Marvel works because Feige knows what's he doing), and I don't think Kennedy has a clue what she's doing, so she just let Johnson do whatever he wanted with Ep 8. Would have been nice if Kennedy made some semblance of an attempt to create a 3 movie story arc instead of just tossing it to the directors telling them they could do whatever they wanted.

Johnson said in interviews that he felt no creative limitation on Ep 8, which is troubling as that tells us the people above him had no hand in what he was doing, and Rian said he was making a "Star Wars genre film", to quote him. Which tells me he didn't understand he was making an actual "Star Wars" film. So to make his own story, he bent the SW story, plot, and characters to try to make them fit, sometimes trying to put round pegs into square holes. It didn't work. But I said, the fault of Disney was one of negligence not malice. Disney didn't drive the fiasco, they just allowed it to happen. Igor understands that and seems to be trying to rectify that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    It was never gonna end truly well with JJ at the helm

But yes both JJ and RJ have shown a complete disregard to what their new powers and weaponizations does for the overall lore.
    Not to say it will go well with JJ at the helm, but his problem with SW seems to be the opposite of RJs problem. RJ says "screw the fans, we need to make a movie I like", where as JJ has piled in as much fan service as possible into his two films.

They both cause problems, but at least watching a JJ SW film, I don't feel like a sucker, like I do watching the RJ SW film. After EP 8 ended, I could feel RJ in the back of my head laughing at me calling me an idiot for paying to watch him piss all over EP 7 as well as everything else he figured I enjoyed about SW.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

The poll attached to this thread is exactly why audience reviews should be ignored. No matter how much you didn't like a film, it takes a LOT of bad to give it a 0 lol.

Movie was really, really bad. Like 3/10 bad. It's coming from someone that rather enjoyed Last Jedi (maybe because I tend to ignore bad stuff when I see good things as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Not true, have you seen his Mandalorian reviews?
    He just say what his public demands. He praise FF14 all the time, do video about every single shop mount in WoW and somehow haven't notice that FF has like 5x bigger shop.

It's like current news media. If you're left, you only praise good stuff from your camp and mock only stupid stuff from opposite side, ignoring everything else (same on right camp). It's not like you believe it, you just know that views from people that want confirm their bias are better than from people that want figure out the truth.

Overall I think HvB is disgusting channel for many reasons (example: he made teary videos right after Heaven and TB deaths to get easy views when channel was almost dead) but it's too big off topic.

The movie tries to undo the bad karma from TLJ and succeeds only in being less stylistic and more muted than its predecessor. If anything, I hope Disney learned two things:

• Srat Wars fans hate change
    • Plan the fucking trilogy out ahead of time

As somebody who enjoyed the shit out of TLJ, I'm not sure what I'll think of the movie ahead of time but I will say my expectations heading into it have been heavily tempered.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2019-12-19 at 08:49 AM.

Hey wow easy on spoilers guys.

I really care about these characters and want to see the film first chance I get and not when its online and downloadable.

The character arcs have been amazing and consistent. I cant wait to see the ending of these epic characters

I bet Finn's reaction yelling to the action is 10/10! And poe is wearing a scarf like Indiana jones in space!
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

JJ needs to stop writing stories in such a way that I can't remember anything that happens in them.

I remember the ending and that's about it.

It was better than TFA. I don't think it was better than TLJ; at least, I'd prefer to watch TLJ.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Lol even the critics are panning this one

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    JJ needs to stop writing stories in such a way that I can't remember anything that happens in them.

I remember the ending and that's about it.

It was better than TFA. I don't think it was better than TLJ; at least, I'd prefer to watch TLJ.
    TLJ is a steaming pile of garbage so that's a terrifying thought

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Indres View Post
    Lmao

Heelvsbaby face is a fucking piece of shit. The movie sucked but I wouldnt take anything from him

Like what a bitter angry man, his entire channel is dedicating to finding things to be angry about. He needs to get some pussy
    He makes bank off it much like Tyler1 he is likely largely a character construct.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Yet the critics were all wrong about the TLJ. I wish you people would make up your mind.
    When the critics who have strong financial incentive in the form of possibly losing access are panning something it tends to be really bad. Exceptions are if it comes from a smaller studio that doesn't have the clout disney has then it might be good and just not in line with what they want. For them to pan the final film of the trilogy is crazy given the power disney wields.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    You guys are kinda getting off the rail and also very stupid. The power level of a character and the means of its power doesent equal bad writting at all. Bad writting is not being able to actually make a good story well written out of it. There is trash tier and god tier superman stories. It just needs to be the proper stakes and the proper struggle. Superman struggles all the time and i dont mean just physically, some of the better superman story is when he struggles ethicaly. Its like saying Greek mythology is shit, because gods are born with their powers, cute.

Theres almost no actual problem with Rey power, except one in the new trilogy the powers follow video gameplay logic (which in video game is often taken off the plot for being, well NON SENSE). Rey developes new force powers because the plots needs it(in game its because you need them to spice up gameplay). She can read mind, because it further the plot, she can now jedi mind trick, because she has to escape, she can now fight with a light saber because she has to, she can now be a telepath with kylo because they gotta speak togheter to form a connection somehow, she can now lift boulders because she has to save them, she can now shoot lightning because her grand father could, she can now heal someone dying because she has to save him, she can now deflect the emperor lighting a strike so powerful it blows up a full fleet of SPACESHIP, because how the fuck else is she gona kill someone that destroy space fleets as a person? RoS made the emperor literally the most powerful villain star wars ever had and made him the easiest to defeat ever made in the same movie lmao.
    consistency in universe is important something Disney forgot. On the plus side maybe this means the wokening of shows will be toned down since they are going to blame this on racism and sexism instead of bad writing because that would be admitting they sucked at their jobs. Probably too late to fix Fringilla though unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    because that was just palpatine revealing his true self through use of the dark side, which we know can affect people physically

- - - Updated - - -

I genuinely believe literally anyone on this thread would have made a better star wars film than Rian
    Eh not anyone remember there are people here who think TLJ is legitimately a good movie and there are also people who think Disney has surpassed the OT which might be scarier.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Now, that's being critical. But what if I both enjoyed TFA and TLJ?
    Honestly, you'd be the first person I ever met for whom that's the case. But if you liked both I'm rather sure you'll like this one to. It's flawed, but has its moments.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I feel sorry for them. Hopefully he isn't such a negative, horrible person in real life.

Not surprised to see it not doing very well critically, after the last 2 movies.
    Why the hell is a mod making such an infraction laden statement? Seriously you are attacking someone for a character they play this is like attacking Colbert for pretending to be a nutbag right winger at times on his show.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Why the hell is a mod making such an infraction laden statement? Seriously you are attacking someone for a character they play this is like attacking Colbert for pretending to be a nutbag right winger at times on his show.
    Except this is the persona, Az wants to show to the world, unlike a role Colbert plays for a sketch.
    At worst Az is a bitter, angry man. At best, he pretends to be a bitter angry man, to generate money and feast on his decieved audience. Both are not really great chracter traits.
    Last edited by josykay; 2019-12-19 at 11:20 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Hey wow easy on spoilers guys.

I really care about these characters and want to see the film first chance I get and not when its online and downloadable.

The character arcs have been amazing and consistent. I cant wait to see the ending of these epic characters

I bet Finn's reaction yelling to the action is 10/10! And poe is wearing a scarf like Indiana jones in space!
    Whether intentional or not, someone will always post spoilers, it's ur own damn fault if u see them if u can't control yourself from staying away..
    I stay away from threads fir stuff I'm about to see.

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Except this is the persona, Az wants to show to the world, unlike a rule Colbert plays for a sketch.
    At worst Az is a bitter, angry man. At best, he pretends to be a bitter angry man, to generate money and feast on his decieved audience. Both are not really great chracter traits.
    Most of the more popular youtubers are character creations same as a lot of twitch streamers they take their opinions far past their logical extremes in order to generate views. Boogie is another example of this. Either way saying you feel sorry for someone to be married to another person or to be their child is one of the lowest insults you can make about that other person. It's disgusting and absolutely not something a mod should be saying. Another example of this is two best friends who weren't really friends at all when they started and then drifted apart after becoming friends as the show went on eventually leading to it ending after a decade or so. They are acting for the most part aka giving the internet what it wants.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna say it - Calling yourself Skywalker when you have literally no connection to any Skywalker is weirdchamp
    When we first heard about the leaks that Rey is Palpatine's daughter, the thought was that the only reasonal explanation for the name of the movie, Rise of the Skywalker, is that the title is referring to Kylo, not Rey. The now known events in the movie even make this possible, Kylo's redemption etc.

And yet it is about Rey, who even literally calls herself Skywalker, which is totally bullshit. An old quote (can't remember whom it's actually from) goes something like this: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

If I were to see this movie in the theaters before knowing all of this, I would have most likely double facepalmed myself when Rey says "Rey Skywalker".
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The movie tries to undo the bad karma from TLJ and succeeds only in being less stylistic and more muted than its predecessor. If anything, I hope Disney learned two things:

• Srat Wars fans hate change
    • Plan the fucking trilogy out ahead of time

As somebody who enjoyed the shit out of TLJ, I'm not sure what I'll think of the movie ahead of time but I will say my expectations heading into it have been heavily tempered.
    Do they though? they hatedthe new movies and they didn't change much of the feel and setting of the original 3.

The prequels changed a lot of that with what they showed, and the movies were much more loved than the disney lot, despite the jar Jar binks hate, Clone wars was also quite successful too, with many an adult star wars fans watching it.

It's not change that star wars fans don't like, it's just rubbish they don't like. The creators of the movie thought they were being cool and trendy with all their focuses and emphasis, thought they had hit the mark by being safe giving us something close to the original, but were wrong ona ll counts.

Bringing socio political agendas into star wars, rehashing episode 4-6 but with gender swaps - focusing only on plot and script so in turn having rubbish fighting choregoraphy. going for the "poor" sci-fi 9i.e. desert waste lands, and ruins, or swamps" iin this day and age with the CGI capabiilty, when Star wars was always a visual masterpiece that set the trend for the next decade in cinematography...

it's all these things they hate, then simply killing off all the male star characters of the original ratehr than giving them heroic roooles like they did Leia, it leaves an aweful taste in the mouth, episideo 7-9 makes the struggles of 1-6 mean absolutely nothing, with its soft "reset" ( it really is a remake)

And for all these reasons, peopel don't like it.

And i'm sorry, I never warmed to Finn, Rey, Po etc and it has nothing to do with race or gender - I absolutely loved Mace Windu, Leia and Padme, had no problems with Lando either.

but it's like they cleared many of the things expected and precious to star wars to make way for their Force is female mantra trope or just to stamp their own mark on it. Which is like wtf, since many of the Lucas Film lot carried on under Disney, it must have been the mandate fro the top, and Kathleen deciding a new and vigourous approach was needed, but waht she chose is not actually liked by a lot of people.

My Lesbian feminist co -worker absolutely loves the new star wars, she loves the fem emphasis, lvoes that the dreams and hopes, promises of the earlier 6 utterly failed and amounted to nothing she feels is an accuarte representation of the Baby Boomer generation she blames for destroying the Xillenial/Millennial 80s/90s kids. Little does she know that many people will come to view this aggressive social agenda and PC dicatroship of today the same way.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you not know how the internet works? He plays a character to get more clicks, no one would talk about him if he was just a guy

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone with a brain should trust audience reviews over critic reviews these days
    It's just laughable @korijenkins doesn't realise this. It tells you something though when both audience and critics have such negative reviews.

Kylo Ren dies
    I didn't even know this, as I haven't seen it, and couldn't care less, if they saved the galaxy or they all died or didn't, it seems to meaningless to me, and really not worth the admiration I gave it all these years. Same with Warcraft, I think the spell they ahd over my life is truly broken. When it's enjoyable I'd say it, when it's not I will, but that star struck, starry eyed wonder I had over them, gone. I will never give my admiration and desire to another human beings works like I did in the past.

Spell broken, now I will enjoy something if it's good and not if it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Honestly, you'd be the first person I ever met for whom that's the case. But if you liked both I'm rather sure you'll like this one to. It's flawed, but has its moments.
    Everyone who I know and/or work with, some of whom are fairly big SW fans and some who aren't, have liked both entries in this trilogy. I think the only people who have been on the fence with one or the other have been my parents but they're old and therefore more nostalgic.

My gf saw it last night (Aus) and we both enjoyed it (also liked the other two). I prefer the saber fighting to the flipping around of the prequels.

When it comes down to it, if I had to choose, I'd watch this trilogy over the prequels every time. I realize I'm likely in a minority on these forums (based on my skimming) but I enjoyed it and was glad to see something beyond RotJ.

I hate people who do this, but I'm not even considering anything after episode 6 canon - I literally don't care anymore - that's how it is in my head now
    Don't care describes the sentiment pretty well. I never thought they'd be able to purge my passion for the Star Wars universe. I guess my expectations were subverted.

I hate people who do this, but I'm not even considering anything after episode 6 canon - I literally don't care anymore - that's how it is in my head now

Same really, I often think if I could just erase episode 7-9 and do it all over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Don't care describes the sentiment pretty well. I never thought they'd be able to purge my passion for the Star Wars universe. I guess my expectations were subverted.

Haha, feeling the same way, but i'm thinking it is not just them, seeing similar things happen to many other favourite franchises including warcraft, i think we are now seeing the inevitable end to such things, they aren't sustainable, no matter how good they seemed when they start, because they've always been fake and neither the authors, creators nor their works were ever worthy of the prestige we gave them. It's not just us changing which we do, but the industries true colors are coming out and are being exposed for the shallow tripes they've always been, we just had star dust in our eyes.

To me it's become a hard lesson in what to give my affections to, now the very pleasures are becoming disappointments. It's a wake up call really to find something that is truly worth giving your heart to.

And whiles not everything is bad like this, a lot of stuff is or is becoming. Just watch out more carefully, and don't give your heart out so easily.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2019-12-19 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaronicity View Post
    Everyone who I know and/or work with, some of whom are fairly big SW fans and some who aren't, have liked both entries in this trilogy. I think the only people who have been on the fence with one or the other have been my parents but they're old and therefore more nostalgic.

My gf saw it last night (Aus) and we both enjoyed it (also liked the other two). I prefer the saber fighting to the flipping around of the prequels.

When it comes down to it, if I had to choose, I'd watch this trilogy over the prequels every time. I realize I'm likely in a minority on these forums (based on my skimming) but I enjoyed it and was glad to see something beyond RotJ.
    I agree, again, partially. I'd rather watch TFA and ROS over the prequels. Skipping TLJ doesn't leave out much, anyway.

Agreed on the Lightsabers, though. Felt more impactful.

Sequels have their strong moments, but I would have preferred if they had started with something else, and then maybe continued the story. Oh well.

After sleeping on it, I'm all in all happy with the end. It's has obvious flaws, but which movie doesn't? Especially in Star Wars.

The only "great" part about The Rise of Skywalker is the TENET Prologue before IMAX representations. It was intense af.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I agree, again, partially. I'd rather watch TFA and ROS over the prequels. Skipping TLJ doesn't leave out much, anyway.

Agreed on the Lightsabers, though. Felt more impactful.

Sequels have their strong moments, but I would have preferred if they had started with something else, and then maybe continued the story. Oh well.

After sleeping on it, I'm all in all happy with the end. It's has obvious flaws, but which movie doesn't? Especially in Star Wars.
    Yeah I agree, I think it is a shame ep8 truned out like it did. Because now in Ep9 it feels like JJ had to do 1½ movies. TLJ left us with... well nothing, absolutley nothing.
    So now JJ had to set up so many things it's quite jarring the first 40 minutes. The lightsaber fights were actually good, I even liked the ending except the way the bad guy dies... Tbf it is hard to kill the big bad, especially when we see how powerful he is, then kinda dies in a lame way.
    But I like what comes next for Rey, it's imo almost perfect. What they did with Carrie Fisher was very sweet and I'm happy with what they did.

So throwing ep8 under the bus, doing quick "fan service" explination won't work for everyone, those who liked Ep8 might be dissapointed. Is it the fans fault for asking and to crave an answear, maybe. But JJ did a lot ot setup in TFA so with these breef payofs work imo.