Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaronicity View Post
    Everyone who I know and/or work with, some of whom are fairly big SW fans and some who aren't, have liked both entries in this trilogy. I think the only people who have been on the fence with one or the other have been my parents but they're old and therefore more nostalgic.

My gf saw it last night (Aus) and we both enjoyed it (also liked the other two). I prefer the saber fighting to the flipping around of the prequels.

When it comes down to it, if I had to choose, I'd watch this trilogy over the prequels every time. I realize I'm likely in a minority on these forums (based on my skimming) but I enjoyed it and was glad to see something beyond RotJ.
    That's ok man. There's a ton of people like that, including me. Most people on this forum have decided to hate on the film a long time ago.
    It's ok to hate it, if you truly do. Personally I'd never spent this much time and energy on something I hate though, but to each their own.

I quite enjoyed Rise of Skywalker. It's definitely not the best in the series (Revenge of the Sith was better for example, which puts things into perspective), but it's the best in this trilogy and at least I left the theater satisfied, which is at least more than the immediate disappointment I felt when I left the theatre after The Last Jedi.

I'll probably need to watch it again to form a stronger opinion. It's definitely a lot to take in.
    What is worth fighting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Yeah I agree, I think it is a shame ep8 truned out like it did. Because now in Ep9 it feels like JJ had to do 1½ movies. TLJ left us with... well nothing, absolutley nothing.
    So now JJ had to set up so many things it's quite jarring the first 40 minutes. The lightsaber fights were actually good, I even liked the ending except the way the bad guy dies... Tbf it is hard to kill the big bad, especially when we see how powerful he is, then kinda dies in a lame way.
    But I like what comes next for Rey, it's imo almost perfect. What they did with Carrie Fisher was very sweet and I'm happy with what they did.

So throwing ep8 under the bus, doing quick "fan service" explination won't work for everyone, those who liked Ep8 might be dissapointed. Is it the fans fault for asking and to crave an answear, maybe. But JJ did a lot ot setup in TFA so with these breef payofs work imo.
    A think a decent chunk of what happened during the first part of ROS was supposed to be what Kylo was doing during Last Jedi. While Rey trains with Luke, he is off looking for... answers, leading him to Excelon (sp.). Cut out the chase and Canto Bright, replace it with Kylo Rens Quest and frequent interactions between him and Rey.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    A think a decent chunk of what happened during the first part of ROS was supposed to be what Kylo was doing during Last Jedi. While Rey trains with Luke, he is off looking for... answers, leading him to Excelon (sp.). Cut out the chase and Canto Bright, replace it with Kylo Rens Quest and frequent interactions between him and Rey.
    Someone at some point is probably going to edit episodes 7, 8, and 9 into one coherent movie, release it on youtube, and get like 25 million hits.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    This "movie" gets zero stars from me. Won't even bother explaining why. Thankfully the Disney trilogy is over.
    5'11 tranny, proud of it, but NOT an sjw.
    Margot Robbie = GOALS

10+ Year Old Account
    great movie - very entertaining. no random bullshit and focuses on on light vs dark - as it should be.

if you take 7, only take the kylo and ray bits from 8 and then watch 9, you actually got a pretty good 'trilogy'.
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Let's just say the world is glad you don't write.
    Yup... you got me. People hate stories about people with amazing gifts that they are born with. No one enjoyed the Matrix featuring Neo, a normal human who is told his world is a lie and he has the power to rise above the rules in place. Everyone hates the story of Clark Kent, who thought he was just a normal every day kid until suddenly his super power activated. The ancient Greels absolutely hated their stories about people like Hurcules with his incredible strength. Yup, nothing but lazy writing that no one enjoys."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Idk about the others but Superman has an explanation for his vast power. He's an alien race who functions wildly differently under Earth's forces of nature.
    So you mean Superman was born with his gifts? How lazy writing that is.

I liked it. Was very silly i admit but i love all the sith witchcraft nonsense. The entire sequel trilogy really doesn't feel like a single story instead 3 standalone adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    You can't be critical about a movie you haven't watched yet. You have zero credibility if you do.
    You can if you know what the story is. And I know what the story is, and thanks to the spoilers I know what the story is. To say otherwise is just flat out wrong. I can't go into detail since you don't want to be spoiled, but I gladly will once you see the film. That being said if you found out that TRoS was a rom com where she was trapped in a love triangle with Finn and Kylo are you really saying you as a fan couldn't be critical of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    People actually LIKE how they made the entire prequel and original trilogy mean nothing? Ofcourse they do because they're dumb AF.

Well played Disney, well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    People actually LIKE how they made the entire prequel and original trilogy mean nothing? Ofcourse they do because they're dumb AF.

Well played Disney, well played.
    I have to admit i had a hard time buying this was truly the end of the Sith over episode 6. Considering seemingly the sith have many MANY secert worlds and hidden fleets apparently.

My point being this really really didnt feel like any more of an ending the 6 did

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    I have to admit i had a hard time buying this was truly the end of the Sith over episode 6. Considering seemingly the sith have many MANY secert worlds and hidden fleets apparently.

My point being this really really didnt feel like any more of an ending the 6 did
    (Are we supposed to still use Spoilers Tags ?)

Well honestly, Palpatine wanted Rey to kill him so that he can "live within her" or whatever. In the end, Rey ... killed him. Okay, he was not sliced in half by a lightsaber but is that really mandatory for this sort of prophecy to be realized ?

Anyway, can we believe someone actually dies in a Disney Movie ? I mean, Palpatine's body was already obliterated by an exploding Death Star and yet here he is. Pretty sure he can recover from his fate in Ep IX for another resurrection
    Last edited by Ophenia; 2019-12-19 at 02:02 PM.

I just can't wait for the SDT in 40 years where they shit all over finn rey and poe. Introduce 3 new cardboard characters and bring back Palpatine and the empire again. It will be amazing to watch them reset the universe again and again like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Well honestly, Palpatine wanted Rey to kill him so that he can "live within her" or whatever. In the end, Rey ... killed him. Okay, he was not sliced in half by a lightsaber but is that really mandatory for this sort of prophecy to be realized ?

Anyway, can we believe someone actually dies in a Disney Movie ? I mean, Palpatine's body was already obliterated by an exploding Death Star and yet here he is. Pretty sure he can recover from his fate in Ep IX for another resurrection
    I kind of decided in my head that it was that he was killed from his own power maybe?

I really don't mind the soul transfer after body dies stuff. The sith are at thier best when they are culty and magicy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    I just can't wait for the SDT in 40 years where they shit all over finn rey and poe. Introduce 3 new cardboard characters and bring back Palpatine and the empire again. It will be amazing to watch them reset the universe again and again like that.
    That seems.....very possible. Perosnally i wany old republic stuff

Think of it as something like the Burning Legion. They had a command, they were invincible, all power, and when they lost their leaders, they lost their power over the cosmos. Sure, they have a ton of planets behind their back, but that means nothing without a leader to guide them through it all.

I kind of decided in my head that it was that he was killed from his own power maybe?
    I guess. But that seems dumb af for a highly manipulating character to kill himself like that. He probably noticed his Pikachu's superpowers weren't effective as Rey is OBVIOUSLY a Rock type (hence why she enjoys manipulating rocks every time she's on screen), so he should have stopped maybe. But no, he persisted, even when his own lightning power was sent back.

... I think he's supposed to be a Force User, way stronger than Rey, so he could have yeeted her two lightsabers into Space and that was over. That would have been a better ending when I think about it.

That seems.....very possible. Perosnally i wany old republic stuff
    The fact that it even seems possible is so horrible. I think that's what upsets me the most about these movies. After 3 movies we are back to square one. The only difference is the characters from the OT have been replaced by flat boring characters I don't care about.

This thread is approaching critical mass. lol

So curious about opening weekend numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    When we first heard about the leaks that Rey is Palpatine's daughter, the thought was that the only reasonal explanation for the name of the movie, Rise of the Skywalker, is that the title is referring to Kylo, not Rey. The now known events in the movie even make this possible, Kylo's redemption etc.

And yet it is about Rey, who even literally calls herself Skywalker, which is totally bullshit. An old quote (can't remember whom it's actually from) goes something like this: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

If I were to see this movie in the theaters before knowing all of this, I would have most likely double facepalmed myself when Rey says "Rey Skywalker".
    Imagine my dissappointment, when I saw that.

I expected Ben Solo to become the real Skywalker and actually do, what his grand-father did, to erase Sith from the Galaxy. But no... He died and Rey called herself [I]Skywalker[/I], which is bullshit. Fuck this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I didn't even know this, as I haven't seen it, and couldn't care less, if they saved the galaxy or they all died or didn't, it seems to meaningless to me, and really not worth the admiration I gave it all these years. Same with Warcraft, I think the spell they ahd over my life is truly broken. When it's enjoyable I'd say it, when it's not I will, but that star struck, starry eyed wonder I had over them, gone. I will never give my admiration and desire to another human beings works like I did in the past.

Spell broken, now I will enjoy something if it's good and not if it's bad.
    That's kinda depressing, but I guess you have right. I feel almost the same...
    Last edited by Eazy; 2019-12-19 at 02:24 PM.

As I'm a rational adult, I'm merely disappointed (nothing more) that the movie use THE plot point that was the most previsible in human history and that Homer must have thought ''Hmm, this is a bit too obvious, especially twice''.

You know what is worse ? That plot point is from the EU. From EU books so bad that they were outside the informal canon continuity (I mean by that that there was a lit canon, but those books were never mentioned in it, even more than ''Dark Empire'' or Karen Traviss works).

The Glove of Darth Vader reached certain narrative abysses, shall we say.

-The Rebellion use (later retconned as anatomically correct and able to pass as women even in intimacy..) Austinpoweresque sexbots in the image of princess Leia to assassinate amorous Imperial vilains with laser vision during forced weddings….weddings whose protocol was covered into ancient Sith grimoires….
    -Amongst the usual Fascist atrocities, the Empire is also polluting and whaling
    -The Imperials give themselves ''Dark Greetings''

Quick, astucious reader ! What characteristic do you think a subtly named vilain called Trioculus have ? (No, you don't have point if you say ''he is ragingly incompetent'', that cover the entire Imperial leadership)
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2019-12-19 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I expected Ben Solo to become the real Skywalker and actually do, what his grand-father did, to erase Sith from the Galaxy. But no... He died and Rey called herself [I]Skywalker[/I], which is bullshit. Fuck this movie.
    Your expectations got subverted once again.